Start by marking “Once in Every Generation” as Want to Read:
Once in Every Generation

Once in Every Generation

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Eleven-year-old Angelina Mariano was a phenomenon that happens only once in every generation. Her spectacular singing voice was incomparable. But a traumatic incident created a debilitating phobia that destroyed any dream of pursuing her passion.

As an adult, Angelina teaches private voice lessons and takes on a student she recognizes as astonishing, one who possesses the c
Published November 15th 2010 by Wheatmark

Lauren Grossman
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
In honor of Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month 2014, ONCE IN EVERY GENERATION is Free until March 10th through Smashwords.com: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view.... Then starting March 6th, it'll be free on AmazonUSA at http://amzn.to/d0MUEz and AmazonUK at http://amzn.to/V8PX9S (and all Amazons throughout the world).

The Novel:
Robin
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Robin by: Lauren Grossman, author
Connie
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I chanced upon this book through Facebook. The author, a fellow MSer, had produced and published an intriguing 'trailer' which I spotted on a mutual friend's page.

I inquired about the book, 'friended' Lauren in the process, and ordered the book which I am enjoying now that I have worked through all my weightier tomes!

Not intending to be a spoiler, let me just say that I was both surprised and pleased to discover how the author deals with the subject matter!

This was a quick read by a new author,
Lauren Grossman
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best book I ever wrote...I mean, read.
Ramcy Diek, Author
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book.
Shelle
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the theme of this book! I was so excited to "win" this book in a giveaway and put it at the top of my reading list (it's the least I could do). From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I really liked the layout of the chapter with manageable "stopping points" with in the chapter and the cover artwork. While I at first thought Angelina was the protagonist of the story, it became equally about both Angelina and Lisa and the amazing interplay of their relationship. While I don't want to give away ...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
I'm so glad that I met Ms. Grossman on Independent Authors and Writers. I've followed her blog and learned many things about her as a person. So when I read this book, I could see a little bit of her in the main character. The interesting thing is that you have to finish the book to see which bits are true to her and which are pure fiction.

This book is listed as Contemporary Fiction but I'd add that it is about relationships and facing challenges.

I really enjoyed the book because I could relate
Terry Crawford Palardy
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to this book by the brief summary that hinted at a life interrupted by MS, for I have MS as well, and have recently written of it. Lauren has written a true novel, and her character development is excellent, her plot interesting with just enough layers and turns to hold the reader's enduring attention. I agree with the author's statement, that this is a book for all generations of readers. Bravo, Lauren, this is very well done. May I ask you to take a look at mine? Multiple Sclerosis ...more
Barbara
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I Enjoyed this touching story. I liked the aspect of showing how someone who is suffering great disappoinment or loss in their life can keep their focus not just on themselves. The author allowed us to see how unselfish love that focused not on loss or bitterness could be considerate of all involved. The fear was real and pulsated into the story. The courage was vivid and well developed. The love was sweet. I also appreciated the part of the story that can remind us as adults how one event that ...more
Megan
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I was very happy to receive this book in a giveaway. I very much enjoyed the idea and the story. The only reason I rated it as "liked it" is that it should have been a much longer novel. I really liked the characters and their real emotions. I would have loved to have been able to get into the characters more, to understand Lisa's motivations and life as a superstar better.

That being said, for those of you who like a neatly wrapped novel you can read in a shorter time span, I highly recommend i
Bette Stevens
We all have gifts and dreams, sometimes unrealized. We also have challenges that keep us from pursueing those dreams. Lisa, a young girl gifted with a lovely singing voice, is encouraged and supported by a family friend and then by her music teacher. Can we reach our own dreams by supporting others? Read this inspiring novel to find out. It's twists and turns will keep you wanting more and possibly inspire you to realize your own dreams in the process. An inspiring read that everyone will profit ...more
Jill Gilbert
Nov 12, 2011 marked it as to-read
I won this book on the Goodreads "First Reads" contest! Just got an email that it will be arriving shortly.

I feel so lucky! Hooray!
Lori Deleeuw fleischmann
Cutesy, feel good story. Totally predictable.
Zack
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book by a wonderful author!
Sherry Rosser Carroll
The real deal

This novel captured two totally different problems: a debilitating form of stage fright, and the fear of a debilitating, progressive disease. Life isn’t supposed to be easy, that’s a luxury given to few. This book was so insightful about two women coming to terms with their own - yet intertwined - challenges. Thanks for a good read.
Patricia Bourne
If you are into wordy stories of success and alternately overcoming fears this book is for you. I found it a bit draggy to read. Some of the I actually skipped over them without losing any of the story line.

It was ok as a filler book. Not in love with her style, but you may be!
Gregory Allen
I started following author Lauren B. Grossman’s blog a few months ago and decided I wanted to read her debut novel. Being a lover of music, this story that uses music in such a wonderful way was right up my alley. The bond between a teacher and a student is one that should be explored as I believe teachers give so much of their time to other people’s children every day of their lives. Grossman creates different sections told by two characters to illustrate how this story has more than one protag ...more
Scarlett Copperfly
Dec 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have solemnly come across a character who is so unlikeable from the very beginning. I didn't get over the first chapter before I closed this book again and said "hell no!" WHat a waste of money....

The main character is arrogant, plain and simple. We're just supposed to believe that her own voice is so so so so phenomenal, like you can't even imagine. A true gift. So amazing. Literally, this beginning is an homage of the character to herself!
Then this traumatizing event? She peed her pants whi
Connie N.
Pleasant, sweet, hopeful book. To me, this book is about living up to your potential, taking chances, and moving forward no matter what life throws at you. There's a lot of love and support here, with a strong support group of family members and mentors. It seemed a little over-the-top, but that's OK since it erred more on the positive side, and that was inspiring. Angelina has a fabulous singing voice, but as a young child she had a bad experience on stage, so she's hidden from her talent since ...more
Joyce
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once in Every Generation tells the story of 2 women, both extremely talented singers. Angelina Mariano, at the age of 12, has a humiliating experience when she sings in public for the first time. She refuses to ever sing in public again but goes on to teach. She becomes teacher and mentor for a young girl, Lisa Forrester, who goes on to become a megastar in her singing career. The two women also form a bond as Angelina and Lisa's father, David, fall in love and eventually marry. At the age of 38 ...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed the book because I could relate
Dana Farmer
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting book! It touches my heart and hits home with me in a few ways that made it an enlightening read for me. If only we could all muster up the courage to be what God has intended us to be...that is truly living!!!
J. A.  Lewis
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A somewhat sappy read about a music teacher's relationship with one of her star students, her eventually marriage to the girl's father, and the event that occurs due to a catastrophic illness. Characters lacked depth. One of those forgettable reads.
Therese
Sep 24, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
$0.0
Alison
Sep 24, 2012 marked it as to-read
kindle 192
Nancy
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A good story of lives, relationships, taking what life gives and making it be the best it can be....turning negatives into postitives.
Barb Coble
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Mind Candy, quick read. I think this is one of the free or .99$ kindle books I have bought. Story of two singers lives, intertwined with success, love & tragedy .
Afie
Oct 02, 2011 marked it as to-read
Tucson author. Looks very good.
Iris
  • Always Ready
  • Summer Melody
  • Live from the Road
  • Mason's Daughter
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • Pearl
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • Beatrice Munson
  • Window (The Talisman Chronicles, #1)
  • Don't Wait For Me
  • Quail Crossings
  • Sleeping Tigers
  • Three Moons Over Sedona

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)