Start by marking “Assemblers of Infinity” as Want to Read:
Assemblers of Infinity

Assemblers of Infinity

Nebula Award Nominee. The crew of Moonbase Columbus make an amazing discovery on the far side of the Moon a massive alien structure is erecting itself, built up atom by atom by living machines, microscopically small, intelligent, and unstoppable, consuming everything they touch. The mysterious structure begins to expand and take shape, and its creators begin to multiply.

Is
Published January 1st 1993 by Bantam / Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Assemblers of Infinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assemblers of Infinity

tivasyk
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
i was ernestly trying to enjoy this book and i even thought i was succeeding despite many little questions... right up to this part where the protagonist "scientist" girl goes "i've scrambled them with high-energy particles. maybe that'll knock out some of their old programming and leave them open to suggestions. i'm trying to teach them a different type of behaviour". it would not be so funny were it not about nanoscale robots that she spoke. ROBOTS for god's sake! dear author, try bombarding y ...more
Frances
Feb 27, 2017 marked it as unexamined  ·  review of another edition
Tried it and bounced off it.
David Willson
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Though Anderson and Beason's vision of nanotechnology is not nearly as imaginative as David Marusek's in his Counting Heads series, this is still a good near-future yarn that moves right along. The characters are convincing for the most part and there were only a few spots where I felt a plot mechanism was thrown in just to get from point A to B without being convincing enough. Also, the plot pretty much telegraphed the ending well in advance. The whole thing kind of rolled up into a neat little ...more
David
Jan 23, 2011 added it
Shelves: science-fiction
Assemblers of Infinity has the underlying premise of space exploration / colonization by sending out nano-assemblers at near-light speed throughout space. There's a great deal that could be done with that concept. However, in this book, we have alien nanos building a structure on the Moon and humans trying to figure out what it is and whether it's a threat. You can figure out most of the story from that.

As far as writing technique, the book is good. But as far as SF meat you can sink your teeth
Bill T.
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I think the concept was interesting from start to finish (although I agree with other reviewers that the Antarctic story was sort of tacked on -- a quick parable in "what could go wrong"). That said, I think there were several technical weaknesses. The authors apparently don't understand the notion of emergent behavior -- no ant needs to know the blueprint of the anthill, they all engage in simple behavior that results in an anthill being constructed. I would think Nanotech From The Stars would ...more
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's another book that I read about a giant rock that falls to earth and, in shipping it, people realize that any exposure of it to water leads to massive, lethal electrical discharges. At the end, it falls into the ocean during transport and fries everything for miles... and then you find out it's a seed for a giant plant and that's how the book ends.

This gave me that same sort of feeling. The entire book you're reading about what's going on and you're expecting something straight forward (
Kynan
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book ponders some of the interesting new solutions and problems that nanotechnology may bring us. There's a kernel of a good escapist (as opposed to hard sci-fi) story here, starting with the get-you-hooked first chapter from the Moon Base perspective and then branching into three different locales (two Earth-based and the moon) with a few different characters that are iterated through for the rest of the story. There are a couple of sub-stories that are wound in with the overall plot that ...more
TwitchyRedPen
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, reviewed
Could certainly be better. Parts of it seemed very long. Some parts were page-turners while holding it, but if I put it down, I didn't feel an urgency to pick it back up. It didn't become can't-put-it-down interesting until the end.

Perspective moves between different locations on Earth, on moon, or in space. I feel the whole Antarctic storyline could have been written out -- What does it provide other than more pages and another half a dozen characters? Someone for Erika to talk to, who could ha
James Taylor
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
In Assemblers of Infinity, astronauts on the moon find an alien construct. They discover this has been assembled by nanomachines, but for what purpose?

The story constantly switches between a few groups of people. Trainee astronauts and nanotetchnology researchers based in the Antarctic, the astronauts on the moon, the United Space Agency in Washington. There are other characters frequently mentioned but not visited throughout the book. The amount of characters can be quite hard to keep track of,
Eero
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, story-bundle
Another StoryBundle book.

This was an Analog serial in 1992; I remember seeing the cover in the magazine rack of the local bookstore at the time, but I was not really reading Analog then. Nanotechnology had already gained exposure in the magazine in the previous decade through Stanley Schmidt's editorials; and consider also that Greg Bear's Blood Music was published in the same magazine almost ten years earlier.

The writing style is rather workmanlike. This is a plot and idea book rather than a ch
Tyler
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was great in the first half, but I have to say that the second half didn't keep the pace up from the first. I felt like the book should have ended about 100 pages before it did; the final stretch felt like there were obstacles made up just to make the book longer instead of naturally progressing from the story. That being said, I was pretty riveted for most of the book. Character development started out pretty on the nose (having a character named 'Can't wait', or repeating characteris ...more
Stephanie
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a well-written story solidly based in the science known at the time and even now for that matter. It moves along at a great pace, has well-developed characters and just the right amount of suspense to keep the pages turning. The actions of the characters are very believable and you find yourself saying "I would do that" often just as you realize the consequences of those actions.

The scope of the book is huge and the portrayal and speculation of the aliens is very plausible and interestin
Andy Coleman
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The idea behind the story was a fun one and it was enjoyable to watch it unfold. At times it became a bit predictable, but I would blame this on the countless hours I've spent watching sci-fi, rather than on the authors' delivery. The one issue that should have been worked out in editing, though, was how the text jumped from one time to another or one location to another without any transitional phrasing to let the reader know. Often it wasn't until a few sentences in that I would realize that w ...more
Nate
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Anderson and Beason weave a story about adventure, space travel, the ills of misunderstanding technology, and the dangers of recklessly pursuing things you don't understand. I liked their character development, the various plot lines, and the challenges that each character faces as they try to survive in space, understand a new phenomenon, and push the pursuit of human knowledge of nano-technology to new heights.
Nick
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked these book. It hits most of the bases that I look for in a good Sci-Fi book. Good plot, suspense, character development and interaction. I wasn't particularly fond of the ending, and that's why I didn't give it 5 stars. It was a valid ending in its own right, but really was an ending for a book that was going to continue into a series. As a standalone novel, I don't feel like it was wrapped up nicely.
Eric Lawton
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very bad writing. Characters are caricatures.
Very interesting ideas about nano technology and I did want to find out how it turned out, so skipped some of the more tedious bits, only to find that it just ended on a cliff-hanger with no sequel as far as I can tell. Not that I'd read one. The only conclusion it came to, I had already guessed long before the end.
A short story with enough filler to make a book.
Creature
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. The idea of something happening on the moon and the technology used to make it happen were very "Avante Guard." the story moved along at a really good pace, keeping the reader satisfied until the next major event unfolded.
This is a very good Science fiction story that smoothly moves towards it's climax without confusing the reader. Avery good book which will not disappoint.

Have a Great Day!!!
John (aka, the "Creature")
Diane
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Great idea, sloppily delivered. I had to start the beginning of the book several times before feeling I had a grasp of what was going on. Unfortunately that continued. I never grasped the terminology. I couldn't picture the alien structure or the moon base stations. and then it was all summed up in a further sloppy epilogue.
Mark
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
An intriguing story that continues to get more and more interesting as the mystery of the alien construction on the moon unfolds.

It was an enjoyable read with interesting characters, but it did feel as if the novel suddenly stopped out of nowhere.

I quite enjoyed the Anderson/Beason novel ILL WIND, and am looking forward to reading more of their collaborative novels.
Tommy Carlson
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Serviceable SF. It's not great, but it's entertaining enough. The authors have a really bad habit of changing scene without any notification to the reader, so there are plenty of places where I was momentarily confused. The ending isn't much of a conclusion, serving really more to try and draw you into future books.
Charl
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: y2014
Interesting story, but Mr. Anderson keeps messing up the real world science in little ways that keep interfering with my enjoyment of his stories.

The story was worth reading, but if you're a hard sci-fi fan, you'll grind your teeth in a couple of places.
Richard Lessard
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it

Really enjoyed this book, perhaps that nano technology interests me. Also needed a break from UF genre. Nice Sci-Fi but makes space flight and low gravity living seem like it was easily mastered. Story moves nicely and not overloaded with technical detail.
Petr Kalis
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really liked the book from the beginning, characters were ok, plot nice, but in the end it happened too fast to my taste, so I was little bit dissapointed. But will try another books from this author.
Barton
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it. Interesting tale of nanotechnology. It was a StoryBundle ebook, so I definitely got my money's worth. Bland somehow, but it kept me interested.
Brian Kelly
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about the dangers of nanotech.
Joe
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great book! Interesting dissection of the potentials of nanotechnology - even more prescient since it was written over 20 years ago.
S
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Excellent, the possible positives and negatives of nanotechnology, well worth a read.
Tom Spetter
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The book was good. There was enough character interplay and tech in it to make it interesting. I liked the general direction the plot took, but it seemed a bit rushed at the end.
Crystal
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable page turner for scifi space fans. An interesting concept with nanobots in the not too distant future. A fun little read that will leave you wondering.
Donna Slater
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for anyone interested in nanotech and science fiction. The first book I've read by Kevin Anderson. I'll certainly be reading others.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED - Alien nanotechnology lands on moon? [s] 5 25 Oct 05, 2014 06:07PM
  • Second Paradigm
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
  • Frontera
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
  • The Byworlder
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Celestis
  • Against Infinity (Jupiter Project, #2)
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Half Past Human (The Hive, #1)
  • Picoverse
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • Mars Crossing
  • The Devil Is Dead
  • The Silent Strength of Stones (Chapel Hollow #2)
  • What Entropy Means to Me
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • The Void Captain's Tale
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more