Start by marking “How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls” as Want to Read:
How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls

How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls

Recent Yale graduate Megan Smith comes to Manhattan with big plans for a career in journalism and even bigger student loan debt: $75,000. When she flails at her trashy tabloid job, she's given an escape hatch: tutor seventeen-year-old identical twins Rose and Sage Baker--yes, the infamous Baker heiresses of Palm Beach, Florida, best known for their massive fortunes and the ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 293 pages
Published July 3rd 2007 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls

stephanie
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicklit, would-rec
okay, it could be that my brain is on overload from the heavy things i've been reading lately. or it could be that i'm feeling particularly sappy. whatever the reason is, i think this is one of my new favorite chicklit books EVER.

poor little megan smith, yale graduate, is up to her ears in debt. she's living in new york, she's got a boyfriend and a roommate and then her apartment goes up in smoke. literally.

so she ends up in palm beach with the odd job of getting two twin socialites, who make
Jessica
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
Shelves: chick-lit
The more I read chick lit, the more I realize how much I don't care for it. Sometimes it seems as though all the plots are the same, and all the narrators the same person. Of course, all that isn't the fault of this book. To be fair, it's a reasonably nice example of the genre. The characters are (for the most part) better fleshed out than your typical chick lit. The story line is fluffy, but it is at least somewhat believable. I liked the main character, and I appreciated that she seemed to gro ...more
Heather
Oct 13, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Adults
I read this book because it was on my TBR list (I forgot how I found out about it), and I was craving some chick lit.

I thought the storyline was great, but the time frame wasn't long enough. Megan realistically wouldn't have been able to go through that many changes in just nine weeks. Parts of it didn't feel very realistic.

The author made a lot of references to pop culture, things that celebrities had done in the last year or two. Although I enjoyed them, I don't think they'll hold the same m
Aysharoberts
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Joanna, Nicole
This book has so many twists and turns. I really enjoyed as it incorporates intelligence, culture, and fashion all in one. I finished reading it at the beach today and I couldn't put it down even though I got cold as the marine layer covered the sun. Instead of hopping on Pinky (my bike) and riding home quickly, I wrapped a towel around me to keep warm to finish it. I definitely will be checking out other books that this author has written.
Francesca
Before reading this book, I had just read two books that were both very serious and dealt with heavy subject matters which had left me feeling a bit drained. After finishing those books I needed something light and fluffy and perk me back up a bit and as I was a fan of the show that was based on this book, I figured it would be a safe bet. I was definitely right. This was the book equivalent of candy floss. It was light, fluffy, colourful, sweet, and fun, with little substance.

I will admit that
Heather McC
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
"Dean's book is the inspiration for the CW show 'Privileged' has the unfortunate case of unsympathetic characterization (especially when concerning Yale tutor Megan Smith). While the CW show was given a season to flesh out characters (and portrayed Megan as more earnest and well natured from the beginning), the novel suffers from shallow people doing shallow acts."

The ending is rushed in order to redeem key characters (namely Megan and the over-privileged Baker twins). Overall, the book was scan
Gina
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I had actually only gotten this book because of the TV show based on it, Privileged. And although the show had its problems, ultimately, I liked its short-lived run much better than the book. Mainly because it's what I like to call a humiliation conga book, which then turns into the poor person realizes horrible rich people who publicly embarrassed her are actually smart and sweet slash protagonist acts like a horrible person book.

This admittedly doesn't sound like I would've given it three star
Phoebe
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
This book is a guilty pleasure, like reading celebrity tell-alls at the nail salon or watching people's escapades on reality tv shows. But when life gets heavy, its good to sometimes get away with a fluffy, silly book (ahh, calgon, take me awwaaayy!). First the bad news: this book treads in the well-worn footsteps of many many previous chick-lit books. The book's premise -- plucky heroine (P.H.) who's down on her luck is employed by the mega-rich evil dead, P.H. experiences travails and humiliat ...more
Blaise Dierks
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Caitie
Oct 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
SO DIFFERENT FROM THE TV SHOW. Which is a good thing, because this was pretty terrible. And even though it was meant to be all moralistic about reverse snobbery, the book ended up being all reverse reverse snobbery. If that makes any sense. And Marcus was the biggest gay fairygodmother stereotype ever.

There was a twisty bit at the very end that I liked, and I enjoyed all the fake SAT questions. But I do not think that is enough for me to give it more than one star. Also, I wanted to read Megan'
Dawn Frazier
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun book! I loved the main character. Lots of laughs.
Marie
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
After reading a number of much more serious books, this light frothy novel called to me from the shelves of the library. I'm not crazy about the term "chick lit," because it's too broadly applied to a lot of books by women...but if the book has a rags to riches story, including fashion, a plainish woman who suddenly becomes gorgeous and meets the man of her dreams, and gets the job of her dreams at the end...you've got chick lit. The career is usually journalism or marketing.

A supposedly brilli
Agi
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: random-reads
If you ask me how to teach a filthy rich girls, i'll come up with an idea: isolate them in a jail cell and let them have a bitter taste of life. But Zoey Dean had another idea in mind;

Or rather... another cliche. Yes cliche about a girl who's life turning upside down when she had offered to teach the most bimbotic twins in the world how to pass their SAT test in order to get their trustfunds back. She turned into the likes of the twins, met another amazing boy and fell in love, forgetting her lo
Rachel
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I first started watching the TV show and then thought I would try out the book. I love the TV show, which I think made me really like the book. The book and TV show is about a college graduate, Megan, that just can seem to get the perfect job yet, so she ends up tutoring two twins that live in palm beach, and they are in fact very rich. The twins absolutely hate their new tutor but as Megan begins to work with them they start to build a good relationship. The TV show was amazing and I can't beli ...more
Ellen
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm not sure what I thought of this. I was thinking it was ok until I realized how many things were there that I don't like in books: bad language, sex (mostly just in the beginning), the main character pretending to be someone she isn't and lying. I did like how she owned up to things in the end and even matured a bit.
Allie
Dec 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
O.K. I changed my mind. That was the corniest book I had ever read in my 15 almost 16 years of life. By the end, I was seriously gagging. I was shocked. In the beginning it seems fine...and then it get's ridiculous. And lastly, what I found the most disappointing was the fact that it was nothing like the show, and the show is really great. So sad.
Sandy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I have never read this author but picked up the book based on the cover (I know). I read it in 2 days, it was cute, made me laugh and I really wanted to see how it ended. I just picked up my second novel of this author, then I will start on the A-list series.
Heather
Oct 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Cute read; finished the book in about 2 days.
Kimberly
Jan 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
This just reminded me why I cant stand chick lit. I thought this would be an easy read for the gym......its an easy read and just awful.
Clarissa Harbin
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
While this book was often predictable, it did have some twists I wasn’t expecting. It’s an easy read (a book that has no real depth), but I am a sucker for a happy ending!
April
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fluffy AF, but there are times that the brain just needs fluff and candy instead of scintillating intellectualism.

This was probably one of the better chick lit books that I've read over the past few years. The protagonist was flawed but not so deeply that it felt like satire. There were painful moments but none of the excessively cringe-worthy moments that have made me want to throw other chick lit books across the room out of embarrassment. The plot was fluffy but it was honestly fairly refresh
Aiyana
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author, Zoey Dean, did a phenomenal job of making the characters very relatable. The protagonist has a struggle of paying back college loans for pursuing a career in journalism. Dealing with difficult people is a task that no one ever wants to do. But for Megan Simms, that's a task she won't give up on. I didn't expect her boyfriend, James to be a little bit of the anti-hero. I thought Megan would end up being evil, but it turns out, people are more complicated than they think.

I understand
Cathy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun fluff book with interesting characters and a well deserved end. Megan's foray into the world of the uber rich elite wasn't the typical overly rich snob story. Sure, Sage and Rose certainly came off as such in the beginning, but as their true characters were discovered, you couldn't help but like them as well. I respect that the twins never became someone they weren't - they didn't become smart overnight, they didn't suddenly embrace studies that they always hated before, they didn't sell t ...more
Bogdan Devonne
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nu mă așteptam, dar chiar mi-a plăcut mult. Are un deznodământ care era de așteptat, însă restul cărții e chiar super. Are o temă aproximativ realistă, ceea ce este benefic. Mi-ar fi plăcut o descoasere mai amănunțită a părții sentimentale a gemenelor, însă și al trecutului lor. Dar, per total, e o carte super, foarte ușor de citit, pentru care merită să-ți rupi o bucată din timp.
Emily
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was way better than I expected it to be seeing as I hated the a-list series. The end was kind of abrupt and cheesy after all the progression throughout the book but I liked it. It was a good story I enjoyed the time I spent reading it.
➤ Mary
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I miss the show so much
Tory
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I finished it. and there were whitty parts. But silly and unrealistic.
No bridget jones, which is likely how I got the recommendation.
Maybe YA?
Cory
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
No new ground broken here, but it was a quick and enjoyable read.
Gale Harrington
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, light read with a good message! I used to watch Privileged, which was based off this book, and now I want to watch it again.
Mary
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this because I had liked the show Privileged. I actually liked the book much better than the show. Megan gets a job as a tutor for 2 wealthy girls and decides to write an expose when she thinks they are horrible people but then she gets to know them. There is kind of a Cinderella theme with out the evil step mother and step sisters.
  • Not Quite A Mom
  • Testing Kate
  • The Debs
  • Five Things I Can't Live Without
  • Sophomore Switch
  • Petty in Pink (Poseur, #3)
  • Girl of the Moment
  • Birthday Vicious (The Ashleys, #3)
  • Fly Me to the Moon
  • Seeing Me Naked
  • Bling Addiction (Fast Girls, Hot Boys, #2)
  • Switchcraft
  • It's About Your Husband
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Been There, Done That
  • Hollywood Hills (Alexa & Holly, #3)
  • The V Club
  • Your Roots Are Showing
The author of The A-List series and How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls, which has been renamed and turned into a TV show known as Privileged on the CW in September 2008. Zoey Dean's books are produced by the media packager Alloy Entertainment, which created Gossip Girl, The Clique Series, and The A-List and sold them to Little, Brown and Company.
Zoey is currently working on The Talent series. She is
“You look hot. The straight men will want you, the gay men will want beauty tips, and the women will want to scratch your eyes out. If that isn't the stuff of fairy tales, I don't know what is.” 25 likes
“Why is it that for everything you gain in life, something is always lost?” 19 likes