Start by marking “Rainstorm” as Want to Read:
Rainstorm

Rainstorm

It can be lonely sometimes on a rainy day in a big house with no one else around and there’s only the quiet to keep you company. But if you find a key, a mysterious key, that leads you to an unexpected place . . . chances are your afternoon is about to get a lot more interesting.
Published April 9th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published December 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rainstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainstorm

Calista
A wordless story that I must admit I couldn’t tell if this was imagination or if the boy was really going someplace. It’s a rainy day and an only child is bored. He finds a key and finds the lock it goes in. It leads to a secret passage that ends up in a lighthouse where there are other children to play with. It’s not raining here. The next time it rains he meets those kids in the tunnel and they go back to his room to play board games.

The nephew made this into a harrowing tale. He is starting t
Kathryn
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa Vegan
I very much enjoyed this wordless picture book about a little boy who is bored at home on a rainy day. When he finds a key, it opens a very special trunk that happens to transport him to the neighboring island! The adventures he enjoys there are sweet and fun and I thought the ending of the book was especially great.

The author explains in her bio that sometimes she loved rainy days at home, feeling all cozy and sheltered from the storm--but that she wrote this book for the *other* times when she
Lisa Vegan
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys and girls; readers & pre-readers & readers who enjoy wordless picture books
This is (yet another) wonderful wordless picture book. The pictures perfectly tell the story of a lonely and bored little boy, but not a timid one, who finds a way to have some adventures and some friends. The colorful pictures are great; they have a bit of an old-fashioned quality which appealed to me. The dog that appears in many of the illustrations is adorable and, for me, a welcome part of the story.

I appreciate how books such as this can be read by pre-readers and those who struggle with t
David
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rainstorm by Barbara Lehman is a wordless narrative picturebook about a bored little boy who finds a key on a rainy day.

On a rainy day, a rich, bored boy plays with a ball, then finds a key. Trying varous locks, he finally opens a trunk with the top of a ladder sticking out of it. Descending the ladder, he follows a tunnel that leads to another door into a lighthouse on a neighboring island. There he's discovered by three children and their dog. They play all day then he returns home, after the
Julia Panebianco
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless
Awards: Notable Children's Books (2008)
Grade Level: Kindergarten-3rd grade

Rainstorm is about a little boy who is stuck inside on a rainy day. He decides to kick a ball around his house, when suddenly the ball rolls under the chair and he finds an old key. The key opened up a treasure chest, that led him to a land of imagination, adventure and friendship.

I believe this is a great book for children, because children at this age are really imaginative and creative. It is a wonderful book to read
Erin Buhr
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Caldecott Honor Winner, Barbara Lehman, is a master at creating adventures with her illustrations. Rainstorm is a completely wordless book about a little lonely boy on a rainy day. There isn't much to do inside on such a day, unless you find a mysterious key that sends you on an adventure. Anyone who has ever been trapped inside looking out at the pouring rain waiting for something to happen can identify with this imaginative book.
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, children-s, picture
A wonderfully illustrated wordless book. A lonely boy finds a mystery key on a lonely day. The key unlocks a chest and the boy follows an enchanting circular staircase. He makes friends and passes the day exploring a new and different world.

The illustrations are charming and logical. An excellent introduction to graphic representations and how to use pictures to tell a story.

The beginning of the book feels poor-little-rich-boy. The house has a suit of armor in it!
Anna
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
I really like it when illustrators try and do wordless picture books because there are so few that are published, there is a real need for them and they can be really wonderful when well done. This one fell short for me. When doing a wordless story book everything has to be pretty clear and easy to follow...this book wasn't.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wished you could escape from a dreary rainy day? Well, wish no more! :-). Lehman's brilliant wordless book is a story of a boy who is bored on a rainy day, until he finds a key that takes him on a journey of exploration, friendship, and fun.

I have always loved staying in on rainy days but I still found the book to creatively grant this wish of exploration and fun.
Agnė
A simple and cute story is matched by simple wordless illustrations:

Allie
I read this at work a few days ago, and as an only child I really loved it. It felt very true to my experiences as a kid, being stuck in one place and relying solely on my imagination to occupy my time.
Ellen
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All kids, ages 4 and up
Enchanting wordless story. I found it interesting that my kids interpreted the plot in a completely different way than I did. That's the beauty of this type of children's literature; it invites interpretation that often changes with subsequent readings.
Julia Breidt
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: t-l-307
A wordless book that told the story of a young boy who was bored on a rainy day. I love it because I myself could relate to it, growing up in the Pacific NW! This is a great book for younger kids, and emergent bilinguals! Picturebook.
Gemma Ford
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
The simple, innocent pictures help tell a story though the book includes no words! Children can enter the adventure through the exploration of the pictures
Hailey Henley
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews-1-5
I typically don't like to read wordless picture books but Rainstorm was actually very enjoyable. I like how the author showed children's boredom on rainy days by the character wandering around his house trying to find something to do indoors. The main character stumbles upon a chest and decides to climb inside going off to another setting. Once the character arrives back home he eagerly awaits the next day so he can go back into the chest for more adventures. The characters mind wanders into a d ...more
Natalie Bui
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY
In Rainstorm, a boy is stuck inside his house on a rainy day, with no one to keep him company.. until he finds a key that opens up a treasure box and takes him to unexpected places.

ANALYSIS
This book is well-suited for children because the situation is relatable; many readers have been bored stuck inside their house due to a rainy day -- although it is hard to relate to the main character since we don’t know much about him, let alone his name. Since there’s no text, the illustrations offe
Mindy
Sep 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Rainstorm is a wordless narrative about a boy who is bored on a rainy day. All alone in an empty room, the boy stares out the window. He gloomily kicks a ball down the stairs. When he looks under a chair to find the ball, the boy finds a key. He goes around the house and tries to figure out what the key goes to. He discovers that the key goes to a treasure chest, and inside the treasure chest is a ladder that leads to a dungeon and an underground passage. Then the boy climbs up a very tall stair ...more
Mia Tenijieth
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this picture book! It is about a little boy who finds a key to a whole different world. When he unlocks a trunk he leaves the world he's in with the rain storm, no fun, where everything is formal and enters a world with no adults, a couple of kids, a lot of fun, and its bright and sunny! Throughout the book you can see how his mood is effected and how when he's back in the real world he longs to be in this new world. This book is very similar to the Caroline story where she also ...more
Holly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. It’s of a boy who is bored and trapped inside on a rainy day looking for something in his house to do. While he is playing, he finds a key. He tries the keys for a few different things before he realizes it leads to a chest with a ladder in it. He goes inside and appears to go to a new place. I wondered while looking at the pictures if he was going to a new world or if he was still in the same reality. I liked the color and detail added to illustrations I thought it fit well a ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Bored kid at home alone on a rainy day discovers a key, finds the lock it fits, goes down the secret staircase and long hall and up another staircase to discover a lighthouse and kids to play with. The art is as perfectly straightforward as the description, with a nice heavy line style and a crispness I really enjoyed.

And who doesn't want to live in a big Georgian house and discover a secret stairway on a rainy day?

This is the wordless book to give the young child who'll be receiving Harry Potte
Rebecca
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: good for lap reading and making up the words as you read
Another good book from wordless picture book queen Barbara Lehman! Everyone can relate to the boredom of being stuck in the house during a rainstorm. But what happens when you find a mysterious key that could lead you anywhere?

I like her characters' dot eyes (dotted i's?) and her very geometric compositions within strong black frames (except that the top of the lighthouse pokes out of the frame, making it look extra tall!). Her black outlines give her watercolors a solid look.
Robert Davis
In this wordless picture book, on a rainy day a boy finds a mysterious key which leads him on an adventure to a light house, where he meets some new friends. Pleasant enough and suited for early non readers.
Viviane Elbee
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The kids enjoyed this wordless picture book - after all, who wouldn’t want a secret passage to a beach island with a lighthouse? 😉
Travis
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this!
Sam Hughes
Rainstorm by Barbara Lehman; HMH Books for Young Readers (April 9, 2007)
1. Awards: Goldfinch Award (Iowa PreK-3rd Grade) Nominee (2011)
2. Appropriate Grade Levels: An appropriate grade level for this book would be preschool to third grade.
3. Summary: It is a rainy day and poor Johnny has nothing to do. He wants to go outside and play with his ball but is unable to. He starts to kick his ball around the house and the ball ends up being stuck behind a chair. While Johnny is reaching for the ball,
Ryan Madis
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book, the child was looking for an adventure and found that it was raining. I particularly liked that the illustration showed the child's head down showing that he was disappointed in the rain outside. He then tried to play with a ball inside and it fell down the stairs. I like how three-dimensional the stairs were and the shading, it made it look much more lifelike.

I like the plot twist of the book when instead of getting the ball he found a key to a chest and how they lumped the pictu
Brianny Ewards
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I personally enjoyed this wordless picture book. I felt as though this book definitely made it easy to follow and told a story that was understandable. I feel as though when books do not have words it can be interpreted in so many different ways but I enjoyed the fact that even though there were not words the same story could be told no matter who reads it. I loved how the illustrations really have your attention and have you questioning what is going to happen next. Personally, it is essential ...more
Lillian
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story begins on a dark and rainy day. It features a young boy who is forced to play inside because of the mucky weather outside. He becomes extremely bored and tries to find ways to occupy his time. He finds a ball and begins kicking it when it looks like he discovers a key. After multiple attempts of finding where this key goes, he comes across a treasure chest. The key is a match, and he opens it. After he opens it, he discovers a ladder, and a brighter world. He enters it and ends up on a ...more
Nora Wagner
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book it shows the vivid imagination of a young boy on a rainy day. The boy is stuck inside his mansion due to the rain, so he ventures off to find something to do. This is a wordless picture book so the pictures tell the whole story. The young boy finds a key and it opens up a chest that has a ladder that goes into the floor. The ladder takes him to a different area and the book continues as his journey in this place he has discovered. Rainstorm shows a great use of setting, because it a ...more
Brianna
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book takes place on a particularly rainy day. A little boy in the house is stuck inside, with many failed attempts at trying to entertain himself. Eventually, he starts to look for secret passages in different items. After awhile, he finds one in an old treasure chest and climbs down the ladder inside. At the bottom of the ladder, there is a long tunnel with a door at the end. After he goes through it, he goes on quite the adventure to many different places.
The deign elements are very si
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Where's Walrus?
  • Sidewalk Circus
  • Draw!
  • A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog
Illustrator and author of children's books.