Start by marking “Conscious Classroom Management: Unlocking the Secrets of Great Teaching” as Want to Read:
Conscious Classroom Management: Unlocking the Secrets of Great Teaching

Conscious Classroom Management: Unlocking the Secrets of Great Teaching

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
[This] book takes a magnifying glass to great teaching, revealing the key assumptions that allow teachers to organize their teaching and discipline students in ways that invite student cooperation.-From the Foreword by Spence Rogers, Founder and DirectorPeak Learning SystemsRick Smith peeks behind the invisible veil of good teaching to discover numerous enlightening classi ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Corwin Press

To ask other readers questions about Conscious Classroom Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscious Classroom Management

Mark Wilkerson
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful resource for teachers just starting out in their profession. The book starts out slow, giving broad strokes (big picture) rather than discussing specifics. Just hang tough until chapter 6 ("Holding Our Ground"). The next four chapters illustrate wonderfully detailed specifics about particular strategies that Rick Smith has observed in classrooms and taught in his own for years. While every strategy may not work for you, I was considering alternatives that would work for me. G ...more
Dinesh
Dec 27, 2012 is currently reading it
excellent book for education..
Dr. Garcia
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the author speak at the ASCD conference this summer. She gave a great session, so I bought the book. It is a wonderful resource for pre-service and new teachers. It has lots of specific actions you can take. Plus, it comes with an online toolbox.
Jennifer Barber
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about classroom management. Hopefully, by implementing it in small parts over time I'll make big improvements.
Sandrine
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: workish
In the words of that immortal bard of our times, Rod Stewart: "I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger." Fifteen years ago, this book would have really saved me a few major headaches. But then, who's to say whether I am not a better teacher for having suffered through those headaches? Waxing philosophical on a Friday night. Conscious Classroom Management is largely practical, if a little overly optimistic in some instances. The fact that it's geared towards K-12 also makes it a lit ...more
Isabel
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This is a decent classroom management book. Smith offers some very useful techniques. I like the way he emphasizes that there is no step-by-step procedure to become a good classroom manager, but that there are factors that can definitely increase the odds of good management. There is a little too much narrative in this book. The hypothetical Meanswell and Allgood were a little annoying. Some of his narratives were kind of amusing, but I got the feeling he enjoyed his jokes more than I did. That' ...more
MaryAnn
The techniques and philosophies Rick Smith describes in this book make good sense and I agree with most of it. He presents a few original ideas that I want to integrate into my classroom - like assigning student notetakers/make-up work recorders. The main flaw that I find with this book though is its complete lack of references. This is not a research-based book and therefore must be taken with a very large grain of salt. If I were a university professor teaching a classroom management course, I ...more
Katie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
There are some good, solid, immediate tips for teachers of all levels and subjects. However, I was once again let down as a high school teacher. I wanted and needed more concrete strategies and examples. While I agree with Rick Smith that prevention is the most important part of classroom management, I just need more intervention strategies as no second year teacher. 85% of the book is focused on prevention and being supportive of your students. I basically skimmed the first section ("Who We Are ...more
Shifting Phases
Dec 07, 2011 marked it as to-read
Behind the bland description ("peak behind the invisible veil of good teaching...") is a lot of concretely useful stuff. What makes a good "no," how and when to delay explanation, and other techniques are well explained with (brief!) examples and always include the philosophy that underlies the idea. That made it fast to evaluate each technique and decide whether it fits well in my classroom. There were lots of ideas I disagreed with, but the clarity and organization of the writing made it easy ...more
Jeannie
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this book by a friend if mine. He said the book helped him get into and change his mindset about teaching and how to interact with students. Though I was skeptical, I'm glad I read through it. The book has quite a few tips to help get started and is written in a way that related to me. It's not difficult to comprehend and isn't like a textbook, something I appreciated very much. You can also read the chapters you want to without having to go through the rest of the book.
Patrice
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was really flexible, engaging and well organized. The techniques on classroom management vary from K-12 and offer enough of a variety of suggestions as to work well with different teaching styles and content areas. It also addressed many different areas of classroom management problems. I felt that I learned a lot from this book and recommend it to other teachers.
Catherine
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is incredible!
As I prepare to enter my fifth year of teaching and am more comfortable with the basics of teaching, planning, etc. , I have decided that this fall I really want to focus on classroom management.

Smith's book is a wonderful combination of humor, practical advice and examples of what NOT to do. Definitely a must-read for ANY educator.
Janine Darragh
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
I really like this text because it is so practical and user-friendly. The dvds and facilitator guide that go with it are AWESOME! Too bad they cost over $500, and I can't find them in any library around here...
Mel
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Most of this book was common sense. However, there were some good points throughout. This is a book that I will pull out again this summer as I prepare for the new school year and look back at occasionally for ideas.
Xavier University Library
Rick Smith's recommendations are extremely practical and work with the way students think and behave rather than fighting the instincts of children at various stages of development. Highly recommended!
Ronda
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was the text used during a professional development course I took in classroom management. The chapters are brief, the examples useful for classroom and special areas teachers (and librarians!), and the strategies presented are realistic and presented in good humor.
Nadiene
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful perspective on classroom management. I enjoyed how realistic it was - there is no magic wand!
North Landesman
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Good to have a quick refresher of some best practices before school starts. Nothing radical, but full of useful tips.
Annie
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
As far as classroom management goes, this is not too bad. More holistic overview than anything, but a good way to see your classroom as a whole and "reset" yourself.
Embracing the Spectrum
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has good, practical suggestions for everyday classroom management.
Staci Taylor
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great summer read for first time teachers right before the school year starts! Also has great lists to reference to as you prepare for the first day and first two weeks of school.
Shari
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's very readable, had reference lists that I will go back to over and over again, and provided immediate help that I will definitely turn to in management crises.
Becky
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
as a teacher at an alternative high school- this book was very useful to help teach hart to teach students that lack motivation to learn.
Megan
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was very practical and well-written. Not like a typical non-fiction textbook at all. I look forward to trying many of Smith's ideas in my classroom next year.
Nancy Wilson
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Really liked this book. The author and I have similar classroom management philosophies. I picked up quite a few ideas for tweaking what I am already doing.
Anna
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, educators
This is probably the best book I have read to date on classroom management. I highly recommend this to teachers at any point in their career.
kevin dinh
Jan 22, 2017
N.A. Ratnayake
Aug 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • Reluctant Disciplinarian: Advice on Classroom Management from a Softy Who Became (Eventually) a Successful Teacher
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Deculturalization and the Struggle for Equality: A Brief History of the Education of Dominated Cultures in the United States
  • Because Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Our Schools, Revised Edition
  • Transforming School Culture: How to Overcome Staff Division
  • McKeachie's Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for College and University Teachers
  • Kids in the Syndrome Mix
  • Teaching for Joy and Justice: Re-Imagining the Language Arts Classroom
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers
  • Write Like This
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99