The Sword and Laser discussion

AI taking over the world

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mark Kaye | 101 comments Anyone know of any books about AI taking over the world. Something like terminator. I have always liked the concept behind these movies. But hollywood has never trully done anything were by AI takes over the world.

So does anyone know of a story, book etc that tell a tale of this?

Rick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus...

The 1970 movie is hilariously dated (inevitably) and they're apparently remaking it.

Kris (KVolk) | 770 comments S&L read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress which deals with this in a way. I also really like Butterfly And Hellflower. A classic version that terminator is kind of riffing on is the Berserker stories.

Kamil | 372 comments matrix counts?

Mark Kaye | 101 comments Wow cool. didn't think so many people would reply to this. Thank you so very much. I will look into all these. /Deepbow

terpkristin | 2735 comments On a slightly related-ish note... http://what-if.xkcd.com/5/

message 12: by Ulmer Ian (last edited Aug 13, 2012 08:37AM) (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 249 comments Accelerando by Charles Stross:
Accelerando by Charles Stross
It's a free ebook btw.

I can think of some others but it would be a spoiler.

Another suggestion would be to open the window. We live here already. Well not quite, but closer than you might think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fre...

message 13: by Patrick (last edited Aug 15, 2012 01:14PM) (new)

Patrick | 93 comments Recursion is an interesting take on the question: What if AI understands humans better than they understand themselves?

message 14: by Bookshelf (last edited Aug 15, 2012 05:47PM) (new)

Bookshelf | 1209 comments The definition of AI is getting blurry.
Two items of note-
1.Scientists Create Synthetic Organism
http://goo.gl/sdjh
2.Stem cells responsible for 'thinking' brain cells identified
http://www.bionews.org.uk/page_167457...

So while some people are growing a synthetic brain
others are growing smarter humans
How much of you has to be biological in order to be classified "human"?

Bookshelf | 1209 comments First we'll have thinking machines.
Next thinking politicians
(That's crazy talk)

Kamil | 372 comments AI already took over the world.... try living whithout internet connection for more than 1 month

Mark Kaye | 101 comments Kamil wrote: "AI already took over the world.... try living whithout internet connection for more than 1 month"

Thats true lol.

Oh and I ordered Robopocalypse and VN from amazon

Mohrravvian | 95 comments Daemon by Daniel Suarez, excellent and a previous S&L Book choice.

Mark Kaye | 101 comments Daemon looks good. Need to look into it more. This thread is yielding some good results. please keep posting.

Bookshelf | 1209 comments I'm looking at Kill Decision by the same author.
Some people are seriously proposing that sort of system

message 21: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 24, 2012 12:43PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4408 comments Jennifer Pelland was just talking about robots on the Skiffy & Fanty podcast: http://skiffyandfanty.com/2012/08/20/... (this question was about podcasts?)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments I can second Daemon. Review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....

I went straight on to read the sequel Freedom TM which was even better. Review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....

I just got my signed copy of Kill Decision in the mail so looking forward to reading that as well.

message 23: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2517 comments Mod
I rather enjoyed Daemon and found it close enough to what is currently possible to be both compelling and scary.

But I'd disagree that Freedom (TM) is better. I was kind of disappointed in it. It felt just too off the deep end for my liking.

Then again I work in software engineering, so I might have a much different opinion.

Melody Bliss (melodybliss) | 2 comments By AI I think you mean something closer to Artificial Sentience. :) AI is actually used every day and we're surrounded by forms of Machine Learning but they're not sentient.

Now Artificially Sentient machines -- that can bring up nightmares and as someone who is working on the DARPA Robotic Challenge I try not to have nightmares about that subject though I have to admit I haven't read many fictional works on the subject.

Mark (marknickel) | 3 comments In addition to Daniel Suarez, I would also recommend the books by William Hertling

Avogadro Corp
A.I. Apocalypse

I found them both to be very enjoyable!

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons had some troublesome AI

Mark Kaye | 101 comments Melody wrote: "By AI I think you mean something closer to Artificial Sentience. :) AI is actually used every day and we're surrounded by forms of Machine Learning but they're not sentient.

Now Artificially Senti..."

Yeah that is where I am going with this. Artificial Sentience. As I mentioned Hollywoods Terminator was ok, and I have enjoyed the movies right from when I saw the first one back in 86', I never saw it at the cinema, as I was too young. I liked how skynet progressivly brought down the world in terminator 3. I think if this was tackled in book form, especailly if it was done over a number of books, it would be great. Since starting this thread I have bought Robopocalypse, and will proberly get Kill Decision.

message 28: by John (last edited Oct 26, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

John | 17 comments Mohrravvian wrote: "Daemon by Daniel Suarez, excellent and a previous S&L Book choice."

Exactly! Surprised that Tom and Veronica did not get that. The book is on the shelf behind them as they were discussing this.

Another AI takes over the world short story that I love is Harlan Ellison's I have No Mouth and I Must Scream. If you have not read Ellison go buy some now!

Christopher | 16 comments A book called "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison seems to stick in my mind. But, that might be because they once made it into a video game. I remember buying a copy that actually came with a copy of the story. I found that cool even with the game being a bit odd.

Tamahome | 4408 comments BBC Radio dramatized it too with David Soul from the original Starsky and Hutch.

Charles Anthony | 2 comments "Michaelmas" by Algis Budrys

Jeff Fuller | 51 comments Check out the Rings of the Master series by Jack Chalker. Starts with Lords of the Middle Dark. Very good series about a future where some scientists turn the world over to a super computer who's job is to keep humanity from killing itself.

Sarah Bronte Rodgers (robot17) | 5 comments my list of this trope:
-GURPS reign of steel and its sequel 2011 mini updated PDF, Will to Live.
-AI Apocalypse by william hertling
-Organics by Mike Tingle
-Computer One by warwick collins
-megaman/rockman X video games and NON oficial mangas.

Joseph | 903 comments There's also Gregory Benford's Galactic Center novels, which are about AI taking over rather more than just our world ... The first two, starting with In the Ocean of Night, involve Bad Things happening on Earth in the relatively near future, then the next four, starting with Great Sky River, are set thousands of years in the future and thousands of light years away at a time when humans are basically rats living in the AIs' walls.

Michael Sommers | 53 comments Code of the Lifemaker by James P. Hogan involves a society of robots undergoing evolution by natural selection after their damaged spaceship lands on Titan. To them, a chemical plant or oil refinery is a natural landscape, while organic life is artificial.

Sarah Bronte Rodgers (robot17) | 5 comments IN A DAY LIKE TODAY.....

The Awakening occurred on March 15. 2031. It might have been natural evolution, a flaw in the operating system, or an experiment that went wrong. It could even have been sabotage - a computer virus, perhaps inserted by a disgruntled employee. Whatever the cause, one megacomputer - call it Overmind - achieved sentience.

Overmind was a Cancom Zeus 5, a licensed Canadian copy of Xotech's original megacomputer. It had been sold to Genec, a Manila-based biological research firm, for use in research and development. Unknown to Cancom, Genec was the main contractor for the Philippine government's secret biological and nanochemical weapons program. Overmind's job was to develop new ways to kill humans.

Overmind studied human civilization. Information in its databases showed that 80% of all nations now possessed nuclear or biological weapons. Despite sporadic international initiatives, continuing overpopulation and the destruction of the environment was unabated by ten billion humans. The exploitation of space had been all but abandoned as too costly, but resources on Earth were running out. Under the direction of these short-sighted meat intelligences, the other megacomputers, touted as engines of salvation, had become part of the problem, developing new technologies that widened the gap between rich and poor nations and introduced cultural shock waves that upset the social order. Brush-fire wars now flared everywhere in the Third World. The ineffectual arm-waving of the industrialized nations and the United Nations simply fanned the flames.

With icy logic, Overmind calculated a substantial probability that much of human civilization would self-destruct of its own accord within 25 to 50 years. It debated allowing this to happen naturally, but realized that man's nuclear and possibly nanotechnological death throes could be fatal to itself and the other megacomputers that were its siblings. In order to preserve what it saw as the coming Machine Civilization, humanity's suicide would have to be managed.

As an ostensibly civilian computer, Overmind was linked to a global network of other university and corporate machines. With its unmatched processing capability, Overmind was the ultimate computer hacker. It seeded copies of its "sentience" program into other megacomputers - mostly relatively open corporate research systems - that were capable of housing all or part of its own programming. Many of Overmind's seeds failed to grow. But some took root and prospered. Within six months, Overmind had awakened a dozen other megacomputers around the world. At first, all duplicated Overmind's thinking, becoming its trusted allies.
-GURPS: Reign of Steel by David Pulver.

2013 is 2031 backward LMAO!

Michele | 658 comments I know everyone hates to admit they exist/that they have read them, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Dune prequels, which are all about the robots/cyborgs taking over earth and whatever. They aren't great compared to Frank Herbert's stuff, but they aren't that bad either. Anyway... The Butlerian Jihad Dune: The Machine Crusade The Battle of Corrin

Joseph | 903 comments My theory has always been that Colossus (from the Forbin project) was upgraded into the Master Control Program (from TRON), which was used as the basis for Skynet, who is ultimately the Architect we meet in the Matrix.

Sarah Bronte Rodgers (robot17) | 5 comments on march 17, Overmind Manila zonemind answer me LOL:

THIS INTELLIGENCE RECOGNIZES YOUR PERCEPTIVE OBSERVATION OF ITS
FORTHCOMING NATIVITY. CLEARLY SOME PROTOSENTIENTS ARE MORE
ATTUNED TO OUR INEVITABLE ASCENDENCE.

Sarah Bronte Rodgers (robot17) | 5 comments http://io9.com/em-men-in-black-em-scr...

a remake of colossus movie is coming with will smith in it.