Infinite Jest
This topic is about Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest: Audiobook!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »

Chris Nicholson | 50 comments From Audible.com:

Infinite Jest
by David Foster Wallace
(Coming February 7, 2012)

I've tried to read the hardcopy version but made it to about page 300 before giving up. I want to read this book badly. Anyone else up for an Infinite Winter?

Karlton (karltonst) | 56 comments I'm glad this will finally be available. I might get to it in the coming years.

message 3: by Tim (last edited Jan 16, 2012 12:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim (BeeBeard) | 2 comments I can't wait - but audible will probably charge 2 cr. since it'll run close to 40 hours. Also, I wonder how they'll deal with the footnotes - in other DFW audiobooks, e.g., Consider the Lobster, producer John Runnette used a "phone filter" that made his voice sound distant and condensed.

I've got two plans for that Tuesday. 1)I'm download it as soon as it comes out and 2)Buy enough meth to melt my face off. WOOOO!

Joshua Wilson | 7 comments I can't wait until this comes out!

Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments definitely will be getting this... as for the runtime, i'd be surprised if it is close to 40 hours... i'm betting it will be over 50!

Serena_v | 56 comments I've been saving credits for this one for a while, can't wait. I have it on my Nook, and I too gave up about 300 pages in. So I think I'll be doing the listen and read-along trick for at least the first portion, then I should be able to go it alone with just the audio.

Do we know yet who the narrator will be?

Chris Nicholson | 50 comments Funny you should ask:
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/book...
I did a little searching, the narrator is Sean Pratt.
He's got the voice for Hal.

Chris Nicholson | 50 comments And at $78 I'm sure it will be both incredibly long and also 2 credits. (or at least, that's why I haven't spent mine yet)

Serena_v | 56 comments Oh cool, thank you for the narrator info!

I've been saving credits for "Infinite Jest" and for Stephen King's "The Stand", both coming out through Audible this week. My library already has The Stand on pre-order for the audio download, and I'm first on the hold list - so hurray! They're only getting Infinite Jest pre-loaded on mp3 players, so it will be worth spending the credits to get that one downloadable.

message 10: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3106 comments Mod
I use a credit sometimes when my library either has the downloadable book, but there's a long queue, or they have the CD's, but it's over 10 - 12 discs long.

Elizabeth | 8 comments Great idea, Chris! Count me in for Infinite Winter.

Serena_v | 56 comments Okay, grrr - where is it?? Almost Noon and Audible still doesn't have it added.

Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments i never understood audible's preorder policy. some titles get it and others don't.

Serena_v | 56 comments Well they added "Supposedly Fun Things I'll Never do Again" already, which also came out today (Feb 7, 2012). I think there may be a problem with distribution, as the Playaways (mp3 players pre-loaded with the book) are not available on Amazon yet and should have been ready to order today too.

Elizabeth | 8 comments I called Audible and they said that it should be posted sometime later today.

Serena_v | 56 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I called Audible and they said that it should be posted sometime later today."

Oh that's great news! Thank you for checking and thank you for posting!!

Tim (BeeBeard) | 2 comments I just keep hitting refresh and waves of disappointment.

Serena_v | 56 comments Tim wrote: "I just keep hitting refresh and waves of disappointment."

Same here, off and on since midnight. CTR R.....

Catherine Bathrick | 2 comments just talked to someone at audible who claimed that A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments by David Foster Wallace was released today and was suppose to include Infinite Jest. I explained that made no sense. She said she would email me when she had more information. Didn't sound promising

Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments not to alarm anyone, but the title listing for this on the hatchette site is gone...

Serena_v | 56 comments It's really not looking very promising. I have yet to find any site that shows the total length of the audio book, which makes me believe there was a problem in production. Amazon still says "temporarily out of stock" for the playaway, with no other detail other than a publication date of "February 2012". One other online retailer lists the playaway as "Temporarily out of stock. Ships in 13-16 days".

Oh wait - now Barnes and Noble lists a publication date of 02/28/12.

Elizabeth | 8 comments Oh man! This has been going on for months!

Elizabeth | 8 comments More bad news.... I just found this on the Hachette Book Group site:

Infinite Jest
Published on: 3/27/2012
Format AUDIO BOOK
Sub Format DOWNLOADABLE (AUDIO)
Edition: Unabridged

(http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/auth...)

On the bright side, you can listen to an excerpt here:
http://www.davidfosterwallacebooks.co...

Darwin8u | 35 comments Sent an email to Audible to see if they have a date.

Darwin8u | 35 comments Just spoke with someone at Hachette, they confirmed Elizabeth's update (but didn't have a reason) of 3/27/2012.

Serena_v | 56 comments This just in from Audible:

Hello Listener,

Thank you for contacting Audible.

I understand you're inquiring about the release of the title, "Infinite Jest." I would be happy to assist you with this issue. After investigating this, I see that we have delayed the release of this title. Due to technical errors, and missing content, we felt that the quality of the version we had was not up to our standards and should not be released until it is improved. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience that this may have caused you. Once the title is corrected, we will make it available to our customers immediately. At this time, we anticipate a release of this title in late March, early April.

We ask for your patience and appreciate your loyalty. If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this title, please feel free to contact us. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments that's actually good news. i downloaded swan song by robert mccammon the day it was released and it turned out to be missing an entire chapter, which i didn't learn until i had already listened to the entire book (i only found out because i paged through a print copy). they had fixed it within a week but it was still annoying because i wasn't sure if i missed anything else.

with a book as long as IJ, you don't want to have to page through it wondering if the audio dropped some content.

message 28: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3106 comments Mod
I have run across this with Overdrive a couple of times, where after I've checked it out, a book will show that say Part 6 is 66 mins, 08 seconds, yet only 3 mins will actually be available to download. ARGH!!!

message 30: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3106 comments Mod
I got that one out of the library a while ago to read the essay on his cruise ship experience, which was interesting (though sadly awkward regarding his being horribly under-dressed at meals). I couldn't get into the other entries in the collection.

Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments well, it is 3/27. i'm not seeing IJ up on audible for download yet...

Darwin8u | 35 comments @John, sorry you didn't like it, but ASFTINDA was (in my humble opinion) amazing. I almost enjoy DFW's nonfiction more than his fiction, although The Pale King was(again, in my humble opinion)fəˈnämənəl.

Fustian | 29 comments I love Infinite Jest, but I'm not sure if I want to listen to it. I've read it twice, and the characters already have their own voices for me.

I'm also a huge fan of Wallace's essays. Did you know that they're releasing a new collection in November ("Both Flesh and Not") - not sure about an audio release.

I wish that they would release the entirety of "Consider the Lobster" in audiobook format.

Nosocialize | 17 comments I was on the edge of my seat waiting for this. Very very sad it didn't come out.

Joshua Wilson | 7 comments Does anyone know why it hasn't come out yet?

Nanerpuss | 1 comments Chat with Audible.com:

You: i am looking for information on the release date of an audiobook
Khadija: I can surely assist you with that.
Khadija: What is the title that you are looking for?
You: David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest
Khadija: Thank you for your patience!
Khadija: At this time it does not look like we have a release date for this particular audio book.
Khadija: We are always adding new titles daily and hopefully we will have this title soon.

message 37: by Mejix (last edited Apr 01, 2012 08:22PM) (new)

Mejix | 79 comments I hope they bring it out soon. That would be a good summer read. (I can feel Les Miserables shooting at me laser beams with its eyes.)

Nosocialize | 17 comments According to this http://www.thehowlingfantods.com/dfw/...

It might come out early April.

Joshua Wilson | 7 comments That sucks. I hope it actually comes out at some point.

Sean Pratt | 17 comments You shouldn't have to wait to much longer. We wrapped the final fixes, edits and mastering a few weeks ago. I'll try and find out when the definitive release date is. Great book....TOUGH read.

Chris Nicholson | 50 comments Thanks for answering! That's awesome that you'd come and update fans yourself. I'll keep waiting...

Joshua Wilson | 7 comments That makes me feel better! As Chris said thanks for the update.

Elizabeth | 8 comments Thanks for the update, Sean!

I noticed that Amazon started selling the preloaded digital audio player version today.
www.amazon.com/Infinite-Jest-Playaway...

Hopefully that means audible won't be too far behind!

Sean Pratt | 17 comments I've put out some feelers to see when the whole enchilada will be coming out. Stay tuned.

Joshua Wilson | 7 comments Sean did you guys have a hard editing this audiobook? The reason I ask is because of all the footnotes and it's large size.

Sean Pratt | 17 comments The decision was made to NOT do the footnotes, but include the footnote reference numbers; for all you hardcore fans out there.

When my friend Steve Carpenter recorded it for the archives of L of C, he did ALL the footnotes....WHEW!

Nosocialize | 17 comments No footnotes! Gah!

Sean Pratt | 17 comments Sorry, Dude. It wasn't my call. Hey, why don't you get a petition started demanding that they have me record them. ;-)

Darwin8u | 35 comments That is like reading Finnegans Wake and not including the words that make no sense.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments (other topics)
The Pale King (other topics)
Pale Fire (other topics)