Start by marking “The First 200 Years of Monty Python” as Want to Read:
The First 200 Years of Monty Python

The First 200 Years of Monty Python

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  459 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This book celebrates the group's career with exclusive interviews, rare photographs, and an episode guide detailing the original TV shows still being aired daily across the country. Photos throughout.
Published October 15th 1989 by Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The First 200 Years of Monty Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First 200 Years of Monty Python

Jill Hutchinson
Jan 09, 2014 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
The appeal of Monty Python's Flying Circus continues to draw people to this eccentric, irreverent, and hilarious group of British maniacs. The television program is still playing in re-runs after all these years and finding new fans. This book covers the first 20 years of the group with profiles of each member and those of their continuing supporting cast; photos; and a synopsis and script of each program. Back in the day, phrases from the program found their way into everyday language; i.e. "It ...more
Keith Davis
Nov 23, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it
An amusing if overly cute history of Monty Python written by a guy who was essentially a celebrity stalker of the group before celebrities realized they should be afraid of such people and therefor was able to become a friend of several members of the group.
Andrew
Aug 14, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: python-etc, humour
Whilst a very strong recommendation for anyone who loves Python and likes to have a comprehensive library of related materials, the text of this book is far less interesting than the photography. Johnson is very much the fan-boy enthusing over almost anything and everything covered in the book and lacks the writing skill as well as the ability to put his rabid enthusiasm aside now and again. The re-telling of sketch after sketch, episode after episode is redundant though there are some interesti ...more
Keith Parrish
Jul 04, 2012 Keith Parrish rated it liked it
I picked this off my bookshelf after re-viewing the complete Monty Python's Flying Circus series on DVD recently. In reading back through it now, I realize that this book, written by someone who was a fan before an author was rather shallow. It does give some insights into the origins of the show, but then fails to really examine any kind of influence the show, movies, or group had. Although the book can't be faulted for this, it is rather frustrating having the scope end in the late '80's. A fo ...more
M
Jun 12, 2014 M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-stuff
I picked this book up when I was in high school, right around the time they started re-broadcasting Flying Circus on channel 13. I'd set the VCR to tape the episodes when they came on at midnight, then watch them while getting ready for school. This book served as a great companion to the series, especially when there were jokes I didn't quite get, and it made me an even bigger Python fan.
Katherine
Jun 17, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
One of the first Python books I ever got and still one I enjoy.
Scott
Feb 08, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An essential book to fully appreciating all that Python has to offer. It has a fully comprehensive episode guide listing all sketches in detail with MANY sidebars full of trivia, pre- and post-Python history of all members, all about the films, all about the books, all about the albums! Nothing has surpassed this book in terms of Python trivia and knowledge, fans will read it over and over again.
Elaine
Nov 04, 2012 Elaine rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Lots of good info, but obviously outdated since it was published before Graham Chapman's death. I will be interested to see the one being published soon with more episode annotations.
Jami
May 22, 2016 Jami rated it did not like it
This was a Did Not Finish. I would've expected something about Monty Python to be less - boring. It's as dry as a high school history text book.
Tina Thompson
Nov 19, 2013 Tina Thompson rated it really liked it
Very thorough walk through of every episode and movie. Lots of dishy behind the scenes Pepperpots vs. Gumbies action.
Tara Calaby
Sep 13, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: britcom, biography, own
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager.
Rebecca
Feb 26, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I love this book and all the fun and the craziness of the Pythons!
Alannah
Apr 05, 2011 Alannah rated it it was amazing
hard to find, but a must for any self-respecting python fan.
Lizzie
Dec 09, 2009 Lizzie rated it liked it
a good anthology of monty mishaps.
Jake
Apr 11, 2013 Jake rated it liked it
not bad.
Merilyn
Merilyn marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Baltimoregal
Baltimoregal marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Ollie Savage
Ollie Savage rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Gil Smith
Gil Smith rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Marisa
Marisa rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Septian
Septian rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Moving
Moving marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Molly Neely
Molly Neely rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
NickTowner
NickTowner rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Keith Clingan
Keith Clingan rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Evangelos Tsiamalos
Evangelos Tsiamalos marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • Monty Python Speaks!
  • The Complete Fawlty Towers
  • Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979 (Palin Diaries, #1)
  • The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
  • Gilliam on Gilliam (Directors on Directors)
  • Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty, 1485-1917
  • Stanley Kubrick, Director: A Visual Analysis
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook