Start by marking “In the Night Kitchen” as Want to Read:
In the Night Kitchen

In the Night Kitchen

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  10,158 ratings  ·  510 reviews
Sendak's hero Mickey falls through the dark into the Night Kitchen where three fat bakers are making the morning cake. So begins an intoxicating dream fantasy, described by the artist himself as 'a fantasy ten feet deep in reality'.
Published July 1st 2001 by Red Fox (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about In the Night Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Night Kitchen

Caris
Jun 03, 2010 Caris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Here is where I go off about censorship.

Where do you get the right, motherfuckers, to alter someone else’s work just because it doesn’t meet your rigid little view of decency? Are we not all naked under our clothes? Must we really be ashamed to see ourselves as we naturally occur?

Children do not mind being naked. We teach them that it is wrong. We teach them this by drawing cute little black underpants on the young male protagonist of an iconic children’s book. We teach children that their nake...more
Michael

I have a confession to make, goodreads. You might want to sit down.

I've been seeing other literary social cataloguing websites.

No, wait, put that plate down. It wasn't because I really wanted to see anyone else. . . it was for my grade. *dodges plate* Wait, wait, let me explain! The thing is, I'm doing a big project on book reviews.

I'm analyzing the rhetorical differences between online book reviews and those published in print.

From meta-reviews to highly negative reviews, to reviews that are...more
Megan
Jun 03, 2010 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Megan by: Caris
To the person (librarian, patron, library employee or hippopotamus) who censored this book: you are a jerk, and I hope you realize that scribbling ever so carefully over Mickey's private parts meant you focused more on them than anybody else who's going to read the book. Doesn't that make you the pervert?

Anyway: This book is wonderful. It made me wish I had read it aloud to somebody because there was so much rhythm in the text. Mickey's expressions are great. I can't wait to read this to my kids...more
Ronyell
Revised Review:

“In the Night Kitchen” is a follow-up of Maurice Sendak’s famous children’s book, “Where the Wild Things Are” and has also received the distinguished Caldecott Honor Book Award. “In the Night Kitchen” is also one of the most controversial books in history due to many images of Mickey being naked during his dream trip to the Night Kitchen. This book details the adventures of a small boy named Mickey who journeys to the Night Kitchen and meets three unusual cooks and eventually save...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 18, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra & others
To tell the truth, I thought I was going to intensely dislike this book. I’m not a huge Sendak fan. But, I’ve seen this book discussed recently and I was curious, so I borrowed it and just read it.

What a trip! This is a wonderful book. I now get why there is all the fuss (think naked little boys; I guess that’s the objection some have) but I don’t get why there is all the fuss.

This book is so imaginative, funny, a joy to read, and yes, I even enjoyed the pictures. They were a lot of fun. Once a...more
Joel
Mar 10, 2014 Joel added it
Shelves: 2014, nina
Somehow I never read this growing up. I have now read it to my daughter about five times. I have absolutely no idea what the hell this book is on about. "Thanks to Mickey, we always have cake in the morning!"

We do? WHO HAS BEEN TAKING MY MORNING CAKE
Sally
Any time a book has polarizing reviews, I'm interested as to why. This being a kids' book made me more interested. Seems one issue was the little boy's nekkedness.

That was not an issue for me at all. Kids like being naked. We all have strange dreams. (This book is the little boy's dream.)

What really weirded me out was the three fat bakers. They were creepy. I guess this confirms that I'm not a huge Maurice Sendak fan.... ;)
Heidi
Uh, well, I tried to be grown-up and open-minded, but I (like some others) was a little surprised that Sendak would illustrate full frontal nudity. More than once. And of a child. So naked children are a bit more common in public than adults (whether intended or not). That still doesn't mean it's right. At least in this society. And in my opinion. So, I found it slightly unsettling, even in trying to put it in the context of a child's dream.

That aside, I didn't like the story either. The child...more
Miloš & Brontë
May 13, 2009 Miloš & Brontë marked it as to-read
Shelves: learning-to-read
Brontë: My favourite part was that he finded a way to get out of there, and he gone to sleep is my favourite, favourite, favourite one. And, um, and I love that there was a cake for everyone in the morning. And I like that he had a banana...just kidding...[giggles:]banana slice[more giggles:]. And I love that he got the milk for the bakers. That was really nice. And I love that he really had a piece of the cake. If he did in the real story.

Papa: What do you mean the "real story"?

Brontë: I mean t...more
3Dyneisha
There are at least 100 and more books that are banned in the United States. Books of all kinds are being prohibited from schools and some libraries. But what’s the reason? Why are they being banned? Should books even be allowed to be banned? These are all questions that need answers.
I think books should not be banned. All subjects no matter how realistic they are should be allowed to be printed and exposed to the world. Reading books that covers certain topics can teach us how to look at the w...more
Shawn Thrasher
I don't remember reading Where the Wild Things Are as a kid, but I do remember reading - or at least looking at - In the Night Kitchen. I'm sure it was because of the naked kid; I probably hunched over it with a group of other shocked and giggling kids (I remember doing the same thing with Gnomes in fifth grade because a gnome was peeing). Going back to In the Night Kitchen thirty-some years later, that's about the only thing I remembered. Whatever I thought it was about back then I don't know,...more
Maria
This is another book I feel like I had on tape. Then again, maybe it's just that the words have a very strong rhythm, like a chant, that makes me feel like I had it on tape.

Anyway, the story is pretty surreal from the beginning; a little boy falls out of his bed and out of his clothes (to this day I am still surprised that Sendak chose to use full frontal nudity throughout the story) and into a wild city where huge household products and food containers replace the buildings in the skyline.

I a...more
Charlie George
Nov 14, 2008 Charlie George rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with tykes
Recommended to Charlie by: Melanie
Shelves: childrens, mindfuck
The only children's book I can give 5 stars, and I'll do it gladly and ask for seconds. It truly is a remarkable, psychadelic romp of a child's dream wherein

**SPOILER ALERT**
a boy named Mickey falls through his house into a fantasy kitchen with giant cooks who mistake him for some milk (milk!) and merrily bake him into their cake. Umm.... Alarm! This is a new situation for me. But fear not! Mickey escapes by fashioning an old WWII prop plane out of bread dough and shows those looney-toon cooks...more
Caroline
Why are we constantly embarrassed by our own bodies? This book is highly controversial because the main character is depicted nude. Many children grow up with low self-esteem and body-image issues because from the time we are reading them these children's books we are subconsciously telling them that their body is wrong or indecent. That is not to say that we should all go around naked, however I think many people are too concerned with nudity.
That aside, this book is very interesting Maurice S...more
Marcia
The story teaches how dreams are extensions of our imagination. It also teaches that people, such as bakers, work through the night while we are sleeping just so that we can have freshly baked cakes when we wake up!! : I did not immediately like this story. After reading it a few times, I realized the story was about a child’s use of imagination, something that we as adults don’t often use. Why did Mickey chose a bakery to dream about? Did he live above one and could smell the delicious aroma of...more
Alessandra
Never mind "Where the Wild Things Are," this was my favorite Maurice Sendak book ever when I was a child.

Mickey, Sendak's quintessential little boy, shouts about the noise as he's trying to sleep and falls out of bed and out of his pyjamas into the Night Kitchen. The kitchen is an incredible cityscape made out of old-fashioned (fictional) food packages, a loving homage in equal parts to Depression-era New York City and to ancient advertisements and food. Three giant chefs, all caricatures of Oli...more
Cuong Truong
WIDER READING FOCUS: Cooking/Fantasy/Giving instructions

Let your imagination run wild as you follow Mickey’s adventures from the comfort of his bed to the fantasy world of baking bread. Mickey is mistakenly used as an ingredient to bake a gigantic cake, but fortunately is able to escape and rectifies the problem by going in search of the missing ingredients. We follow him in this comic strip style book, which for some reason all the text is in uppercase.
It might intrigue you to know this book wa...more
Fabulantes
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2014/04/la-...
"Maurice Sendak pasó de retratar en sus libros el gran sueño americano. En lugar de eso, plasmó en páginas de gran potencia visual el gran sueño de la infancia. Y lo hizo además usando un lenguaje de precisión quirúrgica, que suena mejor leído –o cantado- en voz alta. Paladeando La cocina de noche se siente un irrefrenable deseo de volver a ser niño. De creer en que cualquier cosa es posible y que los miedos son inseparables, y transitorios, compañ...more
Matthew Hunter
Since our almost 3 year old daughter keeps saying "Read the Sendak!" ever since we brought In the Night Kitchen home from the library, it must be good. It's a Caldecott winner after all, and one of the most banned books of all time. The child protagonist spends a significant chunk of the book ... wait for it ... NAKED! Audible gasp! And there's danger here. Three portly chefs with Hitler moustaches try to bake a protesting Mickey into a breakfast cake. This surreal scene becomes even more meanin...more
Kelly
As children's books go, this is indeed a strange one.

Micky is a sleeping child who is awakened, and somehow transfereed to a magical 'night kitchen' sans his clothes (hence the controversy). The bakers there attempt to bake him into a cake, but covered in dough - Mickey just won't have it. He finds the bakers milk, and that is why (as the tale goes) we have cake in the morning.

I was confused a bit by this story. The atatomically correct Mickey didn't really bother me (though I couldn't quite gra...more
Rob
Oct 17, 2009 Rob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents that want to introduce their kids to surrealism and/or magical realism
Recommended to Rob by: Jonathan P. (only not)
Though (perhaps) best known for his [Where The Wild Things Are:], Maurice Sendak gives us a masterpiece of surrealism with In the Night Kitchen. More of a children's book for adults than it is an adult-interesting children's cook, In the Night Kitchen is the tale of Mickey, a young boy who seemingly wakens from a dream to quiet the noisy bakers downstairs.

I say "seemingly wakens" because the narrative that unfolds is clearly a dream with some potent archetypal figures and sequences:

—cannibalism...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
It's just way too weird for me... Maybe X-man will be able to explain it too me when he can talk!

Children have fantastic imaginations, and they'll need them to understand this book.

Why are the three bakers clones - and why do they look like Hardy (from Laurel and Hardy)?
How can you confuse milk with a small child?
Why is the oven called a "Mickey Oven" if they didn't mean to bake him?
Who eats cake for breakfast? Well, I suppose children in their dreams!

Do I dare read the final of the "Wild Things...more
مصطفي سليمان
الرسم حلو
بس القصة مش عارف محستهاش
حسيتها اعلان
Magenta Jones
"In the Night Kitchen" is yet another Caldecott Honor book by Maurice Sendak (author of "Where the Wild Things Are"). However, this book has faced a bit more controversy than his other books. This book features a little boy who, through different adventures, falls out of all of his clothes and is completely nude. Of course this is not the main plot line of this book, however this is where the controversy steps in. The illustrations in this book fully depict this nude little boy and all of his pa...more
Paul
When Oliver Hardy cloned himself, he set up an underground bakery to employ his carbon-based copies. Notoriously, clones can be horribly defective and the rumness of Mr Hardy's reproductions was evidenced by a slipshod attitude towards stock control and a cavalier attitude towards cannibalism. Luckily, the boy they intended to oven-bake could fashion flying escape mechanisms out of fat. Unluckily, nothing in this dysfunctional dream appealed to either of my children.
The Book Maven
I don't particularly revel the role of iconoclast. And I'm not one who spouts opinions simply for the sake of saying something saucy. Nonetheless, I have to say--I'm not a huge fan of this book.

This isn't the first time I've read it. Any librarian or library student with even a passing knowledge of children's literature is aware of this book. Back when I read it in Library School, other than for its place in the discussion of censorship, as well as the significance of the book's author,. it didn...more
Rosa Cline
I'm glad I read this book but won't be reading it again...or at least anytime in the near future. After reading that it was (and still is) "ranked 25th place on the "100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000" list compiled by the American Library Association." (off the Wikipedia site) Although on this list it won several awards for the year it was printed in 1970. So that made me curious. I had seen the short cartoon of it as well, and was kind of shocked as well. The illustrations are g...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Young Mickey hears a noise deep in the night and finds himself falling into the Night Kitchen, where he has to help the cooks get the milk into the batter.

What a fun little book! I never read much Sendak when I was little for some reason, so this was completely new to me. The illustrations were tons of fun, of course. The kitchen is set against a "skyline" of boxes of cake mix, tall salt shakers, and an elevated bread train. They're perfectly whimsical for this book. I imagine children would lov...more
M.
"In The Night Kitchen" is one of the most unusual books I chose to include in my 55 Classics. It is unusual because I've nearly memorized it I've read it so many times and it's unusual because it is just a picture book.

If people know Maurice Sendak's name, they usually associate it with Where The Wild Things Are. While I also love that book, I have reasons to prefer Night Kitchen.

ITNK is part comic strip part children's story, part nostalgia and part bizarre dreamscape. The book follows Mickey a...more
Scott
I gave this to my Mom for Christmas in 1999 because she thinks little boys are cute...and I don't think she appreciated it. Which is sad, because I can't find a copy in bookstores, and would love to have my own. It is noteworthy that I saw it on the list of required books once for a university class (at ISU) on banned children's books.
Ballet 3 16 Feb 13, 2014 10:16AM
  • Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present
  • Sector 7
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • What Do People Do All Day?
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal...more
More about Maurice Sendak...
Where the Wild Things Are Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue Outside Over There Nutshell Library