Start by marking “The Flock” as Want to Read:
The Flock

The Flock

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A remote Florida swamp has been targeted for theme-park development, and the swamp's inhabitants are none too happy. It doesn't help that the residents are a colony of intelligent, prehistoric, dinosaur-like birds. This flock of beasts has escaped the mass extinction that killed off the dinosaurs, relying on stealth, cunning, and killer instinct. The creatures have been li ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Forge Books (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Flock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flock

Watership Down by Richard AdamsCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteInto the Wild by Erin HunterSilverwing by Kenneth OppelThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Animal Xenofiction (Nonhuman POV)
149th out of 253 books — 47 voters
Beak of the Moon by Philip TempleThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingBambi's Children by Felix SaltenFrightful's Mountain by Jean Craighead George
Birds as Characters in Fiction
19th out of 56 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Dec 11, 2010 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
“The Flock” by James Robert Smith is a fiction fantasy thriller set in a Florida. The title of the novel comes from a group of prehistoric giant carnivorous birds known as Phorusrhacids. The flock has survived in the Florida wilderness and is now fighting against being discovered by men.

Salutations, FL is a model, ideal and beautiful town owned by the movie studio / conglomerate Berg Bros. The movie studio wants to grow the town, however its neighbors, Marine Colonel Winston Grisham and billiona
Wendell
Jul 21, 2015 Wendell rated it it was ok
Even making allowances for the generally poor quality of writing in the “dinosaurs are in our midst!” genre, this is a very silly book. In fact, if it weren’t so silly, one might be tempted to call it slightly racist – or maybe more than slightly.

The dinosaur in this case is a flightless bird, Titanis walleri, extinct in the early Pleistocene, carnivorous, fast, and big (fossils indicate a height of about 8 feet). Smith makes his Titanis 10-feet tall, gives them human-like forelimbs, and endows
Stephen
Jan 16, 2008 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Robert (Bob) Smith's novel, THE FLOCK, is a worthy first effort, beautifully produced in hardback by Gale/Five Star Books. The flock of the title is a group of prehistoric birds, known as Phorusrachids, which has survived in one of Florida's last remaining wilderness areas. They are impressive, predatory creatures whose survival is largely due to their near-human intelligence; however, their existence is now threatened by both developers and by an eccentric militiaman who owns a portion of ...more
Tom Mueller
Dec 05, 2010 Tom Mueller rated it really liked it
Matt
Jun 07, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
An interesting story, if not somewhat cliche and predictable. The adventure is fleshed out quite well, with quasi-engaging characters that I liked only enough to see their tale through.
The bits told from the point of view of the flock, though somewhat unnecessary and fantastical, helped keep pace and really added dimension to the tale.
Problem was I cared more about what happened next than what happened to the characters, even the titular flock.
A solid read, but nothing to write home about.
Chris Bauer
Mar 14, 2014 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it
I learned of this book after finishing Bryson's "A Short History of Everything" while the Bryson was writing about the megafauna present in ancient North America.

"The Flock" is an interesting work which deals with the conflict and suspense when a species of giant, predatory, flightless bird turns out to be not so extinct. They have, rather, been in hiding for thousands of years in Florida. Prime real estate, to be specific.

The plot is fairly formulaic in nature, including the primary character
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, animals
This book was fun. The last extant flock of Giant Terror Birds is discovered in the last pristine stretch of Florida savannah. Giant Terror Hijinks ensue as three human organizations converge on the birds -- a rich environmentalist, a right-wing survivalist with a private army, and a big corporation built around an animated-cartoon series. I have to say the author suffers from the Whitley Strieber Flaw -- he can draw convincing bird characters but the humans just don't fly -- you should pardon t ...more
Jason Landau
Jan 19, 2013 Jason Landau rated it really liked it
Interesting take on what would happen if man came across some bird/dinosuars that hadn't become extinct. the authors first novel and I thought he did a really good job. Sucks you in quick. Stayed up way to late last night because I couldn't stop reading.
Bill Breedlove
May 31, 2010 Bill Breedlove rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. Fun and interesting and just a gas. The best part was that it included numerous sections told from the point of view of the titular flock. He Who Walks Backwards and, of course, "The Scarlet." Highly, highly recommended.
Hunter Johnson
The Flock by James Robert Smith. My second reading, this time aloud after dinner (with appropriate on-the-fly edits to some of the language). I hope it gets made into a movie...
Buck Weiss
Nov 30, 2010 Buck Weiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book that had some real fun parts. Giant Terror Birds ransacking a gated community is always a must read! I'm ready for a new work by this author.
Tasula
Dec 24, 2010 Tasula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remote protected area in Florida is home to huge birds left from dinosaur era- threatened when developers try to move in. Great story.
Trevor
Jan 05, 2011 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read. One of the better Eco-thrillers I have read in a while.
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
2.5 Stars

Review coming soon!It is hard to read 'The Flock' without drawing some similarities to 'Jurassic Park', although I'm talking the movie as I haven't read the book yet. The premise promises "the most exciting dinosaur thriller since Jurassic Park, an ecothriller with blood on its beak that shows what happens when man violates nature, and nature fights back." Sounds good doesn't it - unfortunately it wasn't.

It wasn't particularly exciting, in fact it had the same monotonous pace throughout
Diane
Aug 30, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
This is a story about a flock of dinosaur like birds that should be extinct but which are surviving in a wilderness type savanna in Florida. They are enormous, have evolved arms instead of wings with razor sharp talons and clippers. They are sentient and intelligent and have managed to live in secret for millenia, preserving their species, but one has pulled away from the flock and gone rogue, intent on flouting the rules and starting his own flock. The Flock in general does not attack man but w ...more
Simon
Jan 24, 2015 Simon rated it it was ok
At times exciting, at times boring, The Flock is Jurrasic Park: The Bird Edition. One of the more interesting features are the point of view of the birds parts of the book. Did not expect that. Otherwise it is a fairly predictable story that gives you exactly what you expect from such an eco/techno-thriller. Good thing it`s not a long book, otherwise I probably would have stopped at some point. ...more
Gregoire
Aug 26, 2014 Gregoire rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Pour ado agréable à lire même si peu crédible
Neal Hock
Jan 31, 2013 Neal Hock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it's not my usual type of book. I've seen many others compare this to Jurassic Park, but I've never read that book. However, if you enjoy sci-fi thrillers (not alien sci-fi but environmental sci-fi), you'll enjoy this book. There are characters that you will love to hate, and there are others you want to root for but are flawed. I couldn't put this book down once I reached the second half, as the pace of the story greatly accelerated at that point. I can't wai ...more
Colleen
Aug 31, 2012 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Trouble brews when a movie studio wants to purchase untouched Florida land to build a town, while an environmentalist and a military major envision different uses for the land. Thrown in: 10-ft tall prehistoric birds, which were thought to have become extinct millions of years ago, are living on this same land. Pretty good book, like a keyed-down Jurassic Park. A light, fun read.
Victoria Parra
Jan 22, 2014 Victoria Parra rated it it was ok
boring depressing unsatisfactory book
Lyn
Jun 18, 2012 Lyn rated it it was ok
Terribly predictable. It was written like he knew he was writing it for a movie, not an actual book. The dialogue was forced and poorly done. I'd give it 1.5 stars if I could--it was a bit of mindlessness that verged on almost fun, but not quite.
Jaclyn
Feb 03, 2011 Jaclyn rated it did not like it
Well, good book, I gave you the old college try. I made it to chapter 10, page 83. Just can't do it. Your dialogue isn't believable, and you repeat yourself. Too bad, too -- I thought the story sounded fabulous.
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
Littlemisskiara
Littlemisskiara marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Brandi Hand
Brandi Hand marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Sarah Lee
Sarah Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Without Prejudice
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • The Cloud Maker
  • Extinct
  • The Frailty of Flesh
  • Clickers
  • Leviathan
  • Space Eldritch
  • Eight in the Box: A Novel of Suspense
  • The Moon Tunnel (Philip Dryden, #3)
  • An Ordinary Decent Criminal
  • Worm
  • The Smoke Room
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • Cold Midnight