The Flock

The Flock

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A remote Florida swamp has been targeted for theme-park development, and the swamp’s inhabitants are none too happy. It doesn’t help that the residents are a colony of intelligent, prehistoric, dinosaur-like birds. This flock of beasts has escaped the mass extinction that killed off the dinosaurs, relying on stealth, cunning, and killer instinct. The creatures have been li...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Forge Books (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Flock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flock

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
“The Flock” by James Robert Smith is a fiction fantasy thriller set in a Florida. The title of the novel comes from a group of prehistoric giant carnivorous birds known as Phorusrhacids. The flock has survived in the Florida wilderness and is now fighting against being discovered by men.

Salutations, FL is a model, ideal and beautiful town owned by the movie studio / conglomerate Berg Bros. The movie studio wants to grow the town, however its neighbors, Marine Colonel Winston Grisham and billiona...more
Stephen
James Robert (Bob) Smith's novel, THE FLOCK, is a worthy first effort, beautifully produced in hardback by Gale/Five Star Books. The flock of the title is a group of prehistoric birds, known as Phorusrachids, which has survived in one of Florida's last remaining wilderness areas. They are impressive, predatory creatures whose survival is largely due to their near-human intelligence; however, their existence is now threatened by both developers and by an eccentric militiaman who owns a portion of...more
Tom Mueller
Matt
An interesting story, if not somewhat cliche and predictable. The adventure is fleshed out quite well, with quasi-engaging characters that I liked only enough to see their tale through.
The bits told from the point of view of the flock, though somewhat unnecessary and fantastical, helped keep pace and really added dimension to the tale.
Problem was I cared more about what happened next than what happened to the characters, even the titular flock.
A solid read, but nothing to write home about.
Chris Bauer
I learned of this book after finishing Bryson's "A Short History of Everything" while the Bryson was writing about the megafauna present in ancient North America.

"The Flock" is an interesting work which deals with the conflict and suspense when a species of giant, predatory, flightless bird turns out to be not so extinct. They have, rather, been in hiding for thousands of years in Florida. Prime real estate, to be specific.

The plot is fairly formulaic in nature, including the primary character...more
Jason Landau
Interesting take on what would happen if man came across some bird/dinosuars that hadn't become extinct. the authors first novel and I thought he did a really good job. Sucks you in quick. Stayed up way to late last night because I couldn't stop reading.
Bill Breedlove
This book is great. Fun and interesting and just a gas. The best part was that it included numerous sections told from the point of view of the titular flock. He Who Walks Backwards and, of course, "The Scarlet." Highly, highly recommended.
Hunter Johnson
The Flock by James Robert Smith. My second reading, this time aloud after dinner (with appropriate on-the-fly edits to some of the language). I hope it gets made into a movie...
Buck Weiss
Wonderful book that had some real fun parts. Giant Terror Birds ransacking a gated community is always a must read! I'm ready for a new work by this author.
Tasula
Remote protected area in Florida is home to huge birds left from dinosaur era- threatened when developers try to move in. Great story.
Trevor
Great quick read. One of the better Eco-thrillers I have read in a while.
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
5/10 on the blog.

Review coming soon!It is hard to read 'The Flock' without drawing some similarities to 'Jurassic Park', although I'm talking the movie as I haven't read the book yet. The premise promises "the most exciting dinosaur thriller since Jurassic Park, an ecothriller with blood on its beak that shows what happens when man violates nature, and nature fights back." Sounds good doesn't it - unfortunately it wasn't.

It wasn't particularly exciting, in fact it had the same monotonous pace th...more
Diane
This is a story about a flock of dinosaur like birds that should be extinct but which are surviving in a wilderness type savanna in Florida. They are enormous, have evolved arms instead of wings with razor sharp talons and clippers. They are sentient and intelligent and have managed to live in secret for millenia, preserving their species, but one has pulled away from the flock and gone rogue, intent on flouting the rules and starting his own flock. The Flock in general does not attack man but w...more
Gregoire
Aug 26, 2014 Gregoire rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Pour ado agréable à lire même si peu crédible
Neal Hock
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it's not my usual type of book. I've seen many others compare this to Jurassic Park, but I've never read that book. However, if you enjoy sci-fi thrillers (not alien sci-fi but environmental sci-fi), you'll enjoy this book. There are characters that you will love to hate, and there are others you want to root for but are flawed. I couldn't put this book down once I reached the second half, as the pace of the story greatly accelerated at that point. I can't wai...more
Colleen
Trouble brews when a movie studio wants to purchase untouched Florida land to build a town, while an environmentalist and a military major envision different uses for the land. Thrown in: 10-ft tall prehistoric birds, which were thought to have become extinct millions of years ago, are living on this same land. Pretty good book, like a keyed-down Jurassic Park. A light, fun read.
Victoria Parra
boring depressing unsatisfactory book
Lyn
Terribly predictable. It was written like he knew he was writing it for a movie, not an actual book. The dialogue was forced and poorly done. I'd give it 1.5 stars if I could--it was a bit of mindlessness that verged on almost fun, but not quite.
Jaclyn
Well, good book, I gave you the old college try. I made it to chapter 10, page 83. Just can't do it. Your dialogue isn't believable, and you repeat yourself. Too bad, too -- I thought the story sounded fabulous.
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Jun 25, 2014
Suzi
Suzi marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Living End Evermore Hissmelina The New Ecology Of Death The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft