The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria, #2)

The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  13 reviews

On the morning of 20th June 1837, an eighteen-year-old girl is called from her bed to be told that she is Queen of England. The Victorian age has begun.

The young queen's first few years are beset with court scandal and malicious gossip: there is the unsavoury Flora Hastings affair, a source of extreme embarrassment to the queen; the eternal conflict between Victoria and

Published July 15th 1977 by Putnam Publishing Group

Victoria
This book does a great job at showing how young and unprepared Queen Victoria was when she ascended to the throne at the age of 18. Being sheltered her whole life in addition to her frank emotions and unwavering loyalty allowed her to be inadvertently put into scandal within a year of her coronation. There is no true villain here, unless you count "That Man", and who couldn't? Several times I found myself going, "You silly girl! The people won't like that!"

I'm very excited to read the next part...more
I found this pretty dull. It was OK toward the beginning, but by the end, I was ready to be done with it. In fact, I skipped over about 100 pages to get to the last three chapters.
Yami Krismiya
Me encanta la historia, siempre lo he dicho, fue por eso que fijé mi atención en este libro, el cual me vendieron a muy buen precio en una feria del libro usado. Es muy difícil encontrar por internet datos 100% fieles y los libros de historia no te "insertan" dentro de la historia, he ahí la ventaja de las novelas históricas.

Como este libro está basado en la vida de un personaje real es muy difícil que la autora pueda extender su imaginación, por lo que no fue una graaan trama visto de ese punto...more
June Louise
This sequel of "The Captive of Kensington Palace" depicts the life of the newly titled Queen Victoria from her accession until her marriage with Prince Albert. Similarly to its predecessor, this book was very very hard to put down. Plaidy describes the highs of Victoria's early reign, under the guidance of Prime Minister Lord Melbourne; and the lows which resulted from several scandals within the Palace and Parliament, and Victoria's frustration with the new Constitutional Monarchy.

I personally...more
Claire
A pretty dull read about the early period of Victoria's reign, which could be much more interesting. I think this author's style is out-moded; although Plaidy was a highly successful author in her day, and I read many of her books in my teens, she does not compare well to Sharon Penman and other similar contemporary authors. Or perhaps this book was simply not one of her best - it's not one I have read before and doesn't match up to say Murder Most Royal.
M
I'm not sure if it's the author's writing style that I find annoying or if it's the character of Queen Victoria. I will probably try one of her books in a different series to find out. Queen Victoria matured a bit in this book. I have to read the next one, which will include her marriage to Prince Albert of Germany.
Mandy
My biggest complaint is that she skips years without telling you and alludes to things without clarifying. I have to go to Wikipedia quite often. Also, she doesn't translate the foreign statements. I enjoy the challenge of translating, but I would think most people would not.
Mary
I wasn't particularly impressed by this. I was still waiting for it to get going when it ended. I found the writing quite weak, with the same few motifs being reiterated over and over again.
Penny Lane
She was so young and innocent... Sometimes I wanted to just embrace her and her insecurities; others instead I just wanted to scream silly girl what do you think you're doing??
Nice book.
Edward Creter
This sequel to The Captive of Kensington Palace outdoes the first with peppier dialogue and well-drawn characters. Fans of early English lit will love it!
Roula Yasin
queen victoria in the 1sr two yrs of her reign and her specila relation with her prime minister lord Melbourne, before she marries albert.
Sara
I enjoyed reading for the first time about Queen Victoria but I had difficulty with the writing style.
Kathy Stanbury
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 11, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Bookloverx
Bookloverx marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Xaustengirl8x
Xaustengirl8x marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2014
Bookishlady
Bookishlady marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Davina
Davina marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Historicalladyx
Historicalladyx marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Sandra Kritzman
Sandra Kritzman marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
  • The Lost Queen
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Traitors of the Tower
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Royal Mistress
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I (Ladies in Waiting #3)
  • Venus in Winter
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Agincourt Bride (Catherine de Valois, #1)
  • The Queen's Rival (In the Court of Henry VIII, #3)
  • The Queen's Gamble (Thornleigh, #4)
  • Pale Rose of England
  • Hugh and Bess: A Love Story
  • The Tudor Throne
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn: The Wives of Henry VIII (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)