The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria, #2)

The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  14 reviews

On the morning of 20th June 1837, an eighteen-year-old girl is called from her bed to be told that she is Queen of England. The Victorian age has begun.

The young queen's first few years are beset with court scandal and malicious gossip: there is the unsavoury Flora Hastings affair, a source of extreme embarrassment to the queen; the eternal conflict between Victoria and

Published July 15th 1977 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published June 1st 1973)

Victoria
This book does a great job at showing how young and unprepared Queen Victoria was when she ascended to the throne at the age of 18. Being sheltered her whole life in addition to her frank emotions and unwavering loyalty allowed her to be inadvertently put into scandal within a year of her coronation. There is no true villain here, unless you count "That Man", and who couldn't? Several times I found myself going, "You silly girl! The people won't like that!"

I'm very excited to read the next part...more
I found this pretty dull. It was OK toward the beginning, but by the end, I was ready to be done with it. In fact, I skipped over about 100 pages to get to the last three chapters.
Andrea
The second in Plaidy’s four book series on Victoria. Now Queen, this book covers the first few years of her reign and her close relationship with Lord Melbourne. I really enjoyed Plaidy’s take on a young, but earnest young Queen who wants to be a good ruler, but is feeling her power after years of being under the total control of her mother and “that Man”. Written from her perspective, the reader can understand Victoria’s motives even as they shake their heads at the mistakes of a naïve, but goo...more
Yami Krismiya
Me encanta la historia, siempre lo he dicho, fue por eso que fijé mi atención en este libro, el cual me vendieron a muy buen precio en una feria del libro usado. Es muy difícil encontrar por internet datos 100% fieles y los libros de historia no te "insertan" dentro de la historia, he ahí la ventaja de las novelas históricas.

Como este libro está basado en la vida de un personaje real es muy difícil que la autora pueda extender su imaginación, por lo que no fue una graaan trama visto de ese punto...more
Elisabeth
Plaidy's Queen Victoria series is still on my list of favorites. I read this ages ago, perhaps 30 years? I was weaned on Jean Plaidy and Norah Lofts historical fiction. Good stuff.
June Louise
This sequel of "The Captive of Kensington Palace" depicts the life of the newly titled Queen Victoria from her accession until her marriage with Prince Albert. Similarly to its predecessor, this book was very very hard to put down. Plaidy describes the highs of Victoria's early reign, under the guidance of Prime Minister Lord Melbourne; and the lows which resulted from several scandals within the Palace and Parliament, and Victoria's frustration with the new Constitutional Monarchy.

I personally...more
Claire
A pretty dull read about the early period of Victoria's reign, which could be much more interesting. I think this author's style is out-moded; although Plaidy was a highly successful author in her day, and I read many of her books in my teens, she does not compare well to Sharon Penman and other similar contemporary authors. Or perhaps this book was simply not one of her best - it's not one I have read before and doesn't match up to say Murder Most Royal.
M
I'm not sure if it's the author's writing style that I find annoying or if it's the character of Queen Victoria. I will probably try one of her books in a different series to find out. Queen Victoria matured a bit in this book. I have to read the next one, which will include her marriage to Prince Albert of Germany.
Mandy
My biggest complaint is that she skips years without telling you and alludes to things without clarifying. I have to go to Wikipedia quite often. Also, she doesn't translate the foreign statements. I enjoy the challenge of translating, but I would think most people would not.
Mary
I wasn't particularly impressed by this. I was still waiting for it to get going when it ended. I found the writing quite weak, with the same few motifs being reiterated over and over again.
Penny Lane
She was so young and innocent... Sometimes I wanted to just embrace her and her insecurities; others instead I just wanted to scream silly girl what do you think you're doing??
Nice book.
Edward Creter
This sequel to The Captive of Kensington Palace outdoes the first with peppier dialogue and well-drawn characters. Fans of early English lit will love it!
Roula Yasin
queen victoria in the 1sr two yrs of her reign and her specila relation with her prime minister lord Melbourne, before she marries albert.
Sara
I enjoyed reading for the first time about Queen Victoria but I had difficulty with the writing style.
Kathy Stanbury
good book
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Peggie Ross
Peggie Ross marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kimberley Potter
Kimberley Potter marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Austengirlx
Austengirlx marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jan Caskey
Jan Caskey marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Katie Menzel-Butz
Katie Menzel-Butz marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Historygirlx
Historygirlx marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • The Lost Queen
  • Traitors of the Tower
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • The Queen's Rivals
  • The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II
  • Venus in Winter
  • The Agincourt Bride (Catherine de Valois, #1)
  • The Queen's Secret
  • The Secret Diary of a Princess: a novel of Marie Antoinette
  • Rivals in the Tudor Court
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4)
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn: The Wives of Henry VIII (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)