Start by marking “The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria, #2)

The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  301 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

On the morning of 20th June 1837, an eighteen-year-old girl is called from her bed to be told that she is Queen of England. The Victorian age has begun.

The young queen's first few years are beset with court scandal and malicious gossip: there is the unsavoury Flora Hastings affair, a source of extreme embarrassment to the queen; the eternal conflict between Victoria and

Published July 15th 1977 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published June 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen and Lord M, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen and Lord M

Victoria
Mar 07, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book does a great job at showing how young and unprepared Queen Victoria was when she ascended to the throne at the age of 18. Being sheltered her whole life in addition to her frank emotions and unwavering loyalty allowed her to be inadvertently put into scandal within a year of her coronation. There is no true villain here, unless you count "That Man", and who couldn't? Several times I found myself going, "You silly girl! The people won't like that!"

I'm very excited to read the next part
Jun 12, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
I found this pretty dull. It was OK toward the beginning, but by the end, I was ready to be done with it. In fact, I skipped over about 100 pages to get to the last three chapters.
Andrea
The second in Plaidy’s four book series on Victoria. Now Queen, this book covers the first few years of her reign and her close relationship with Lord Melbourne. I really enjoyed Plaidy’s take on a young, but earnest young Queen who wants to be a good ruler, but is feeling her power after years of being under the total control of her mother and “that Man”. Written from her perspective, the reader can understand Victoria’s motives even as they shake their heads at the mistakes of a naïve, but goo ...more
Alice
Dec 12, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: séries-en-cours
3,5 / 5

Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec The Queen and Lord M.?
"J'ai une passion pour cette reine et pour la vie des grands personnages historiques en général. Après avoir apprécié le premier tome de cette saga romancée, il était temps que je me lance enfin dans celui-ci."

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...
"Ce second opus se concentre sur l'accession au trône de Victoria et sur sa relation particulière avec son premier ministre d'alors, Lord Melbourne."

Mais q
Yami Krismiya
Feb 27, 2013 Yami Krismiya rated it really liked it
Me encanta la historia, siempre lo he dicho, fue por eso que fijé mi atención en este libro, el cual me vendieron a muy buen precio en una feria del libro usado. Es muy difícil encontrar por internet datos 100% fieles y los libros de historia no te "insertan" dentro de la historia, he ahí la ventaja de las novelas históricas.

Como este libro está basado en la vida de un personaje real es muy difícil que la autora pueda extender su imaginación, por lo que no fue una graaan trama visto de ese punto
Elisabeth
May 19, 2014 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plaidy's Queen Victoria series is still on my list of favorites. I read this ages ago, perhaps 30 years? I was weaned on Jean Plaidy and Norah Lofts historical fiction. Good stuff.
June Louise
This sequel of "The Captive of Kensington Palace" depicts the life of the newly titled Queen Victoria from her accession until her marriage with Prince Albert. Similarly to its predecessor, this book was very very hard to put down. Plaidy describes the highs of Victoria's early reign, under the guidance of Prime Minister Lord Melbourne; and the lows which resulted from several scandals within the Palace and Parliament, and Victoria's frustration with the new Constitutional Monarchy.

I personally
Claire
Dec 14, 2011 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical-novel
A pretty dull read about the early period of Victoria's reign, which could be much more interesting. I think this author's style is out-moded; although Plaidy was a highly successful author in her day, and I read many of her books in my teens, she does not compare well to Sharon Penman and other similar contemporary authors. Or perhaps this book was simply not one of her best - it's not one I have read before and doesn't match up to say Murder Most Royal.
M
Feb 14, 2011 M rated it liked it
I'm not sure if it's the author's writing style that I find annoying or if it's the character of Queen Victoria. I will probably try one of her books in a different series to find out. Queen Victoria matured a bit in this book. I have to read the next one, which will include her marriage to Prince Albert of Germany.
Mandy
Dec 10, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
My biggest complaint is that she skips years without telling you and alludes to things without clarifying. I have to go to Wikipedia quite often. Also, she doesn't translate the foreign statements. I enjoy the challenge of translating, but I would think most people would not.
Mary
May 22, 2013 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
I wasn't particularly impressed by this. I was still waiting for it to get going when it ended. I found the writing quite weak, with the same few motifs being reiterated over and over again.
Penny Lane
Sep 17, 2013 Penny Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She was so young and innocent... Sometimes I wanted to just embrace her and her insecurities; others instead I just wanted to scream silly girl what do you think you're doing??
Nice book.
Edward Creter
This sequel to The Captive of Kensington Palace outdoes the first with peppier dialogue and well-drawn characters. Fans of early English lit will love it!
Roula Yasin
Sep 10, 2012 Roula Yasin rated it it was ok
queen victoria in the 1sr two yrs of her reign and her specila relation with her prime minister lord Melbourne, before she marries albert.
Sara
I enjoyed reading for the first time about Queen Victoria but I had difficulty with the writing style.
Kathy Stanbury
good book
alper
alper marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Shannon Deep
Shannon Deep marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Ashden Collige
Ashden Collige marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Michelle Ratcliffe
Michelle Ratcliffe marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Devi
Devi rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Joni
Joni marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Susan Phillips
Susan Phillips rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2016
Rebecca Waranch
Rebecca Waranch marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Norav
Norav added it
Mar 11, 2016
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 12, 2015 11:32AM
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • The Lost Queen
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Tudor Bride (Catherine de Valois, #2)
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
  • Freckleface Strawberry: Best Friends Forever
  • The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise
  • Queen of Bedlam
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Queen Victoria (4 books)
  • The Captive of Kensington Palace (Queen Victoria, #1)
  • The Queen's Husband (Queen Victoria, #3)
  • The Widow of Windsor (Queen Victoria, #4)