Start by marking “Pathfinder (Pathfinder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pathfinder (Pathfinder, #1)

Pathfinder (Pathfinder #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  14,982 ratings  ·  1,872 reviews
A powerful secret. A dangerous path.

Rigg is well trained at keeping secrets. Only his father knows the truth about Rigg's strange talent for seeing the paths of people's pasts. But when his father dies, Rigg is stunned to learn just how many secrets Father had kept from him--secrets about Rigg's own past, his identity, and his destiny. And when Rigg discovers that he has

Published November 23rd 2010 by Simon Pulse (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pathfinder, please sign up.

Ingrid Geibel What if the Earth had two moons... by Neil F. Comins Ph.D. is not a novel he is a he is a professor of physics at UofMaine. I believe Mr. Card…moreWhat if the Earth had two moons... by Neil F. Comins Ph.D. is not a novel he is a he is a professor of physics at UofMaine. I believe Mr. Card indicated this book influenced his thinking about moons or the lack thereof and how it could effect a planet.

Having just finished this book last night (Pathfinder not What if) I found it very engaging, I loved the character interaction and gradual histories of them. There is a sequel which I will be reading shortly but I have already started a different book. I see some similar themes coming up to his "Pastwatch, the redemption of Christopher Columbus" but as this is a very different setting it really did stand on it's own.

The beginning of each chapter begins with a character named Ram and within a few chapters you begin to understand the correlation between him and the main characters.

I have not read many other novels in this genre Amazon likens it's ending to Robert Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle and Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber but as I have not read those I can not attest to the correctness of this statement.

All in all I really liked this book and will be doing giving a review on it shortly on both Goodreads and Amazon and will definitely be reading the sequels, I just went on Amazon and purchased both. (less)
The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
147th out of 1,555 books — 5,575 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
488th out of 4,953 books — 17,163 voters

More lists with this book...

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
Book readers, you know that feeling of reading a book and falling in love from the first few pages, gazing lovingly at a books words. Holding the book to your chest as you exclaim: THIS IS SUCH A GOOD BOOK, IT IS ONE OF THE BEST I'VE READ, IT'S GREAT and you just want to keep reading it and devouring it?

Yeah, this isn't that book. I'm trying, but I just can't do it. It's too dull. The characters are not interesting. They are flat, 2 dimentional. All they do is banter. OSC goes on about bodily fu
Morgan F
Jan 21, 2011 Morgan F rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Ender's Game
Pathfinder is centered on Rigg, a thirteen year old boy who lives an isolated life hunting and poaching with his enigmatic father. Rigg has a strange ability; he can see paths, tracks in time that are remnants of every living thing ever to have lived. The only person whose path he cannot see is his father's, who dies one day in an accident. His father's last wish is for Rigg to find the sister he never knew he had. This leads Rigg to undergo a fascinating journey, with every step of the way lead ...more
Virginia
Sometimes, the cleverness and incredible adeptness and genius of the main character, Rigg, surpasses my ability to suspend disbelief. Not the spaceships and spacetime-jumping folds creating duplicate persons. Not the ability to become invisible or see the paths of all beings or slowing down time. Not even a ridiculous confluence of events. However, if I were to be trained since birth on game theory, different languages, etc. I could be half as able. Ok, no joke. One third. I do so wish that I co ...more
Shane
This book was not terrible, but, frankly, it just didn't quite work for me. Nothing was quite as good as it could have been.
The characters were sometimes interesting, but sometimes unbelievable; as for example, Rigg seemed to know everything about everything, even at 13; or Umbo would randomly switch from jovial to jealous to insecure.
The plot sometimes moved well and kept my interest, but sometimes nothing would happen but them debating what to do for 50 pages.
The mystery of this world, what ex
Aaron Vincent
Originally posted here

I had to distance myself away from this book before I wrote this review. If I did not, I would have just hit the caps lock and type, THIS IS THE COOLEST YA BOOK EVER!! Shift 1. Shift 1. I just did exactly that, didn’t I? Oops. After being blown away by Ender’s Game last year, you think I’ve learned my lesson and expect nothing less from Orson Scott Card? I didn’t, but I know a lot better now.

Rigg can see path human and animals made whether it’s from the distance past or the
Ashley
While I really liked the premise and the story of Pathfinder, I found it to be WAY too long and in desperate need of an editor.

I don't need gigantic explanations about how the banking system works. I don't need to be told time and time again the rules of the special powers. And I especially don't want to sit through these lengthy, logical reasons for each of the characters' actions every time they do something.

Orson Scott Card has this obsession with creating characters who can navigate through
Mike (the Paladin)
I am AT TIMES an Orson Scott Card fan....AT TIMES. This isn't one of those times. I'm forced to a one star rating here because that's the default rating when I can't make myself finish a book without threats...."keep reading or else". What I'd do to myself I'm not sure. To keep me interested in this thing it would have to be something pretty terrible.

Mr. Card is capable of writing an excellent book. I'm waiting for him to go on with one series and picked this one up as I waited. As has happened
Jenelle
Hadn't even heard of it till I saw it at Costco and luckily this spontaneous purchase paid off. It was the perfect rebound book after the ultra disappointing end to the hunger games series. Pathfinder starts off feeling very similar, in fact, with a kind of futuristic/post-apocalyptic vibe. It wasn't as nail-biting or gruesome as hunger games, but the political intrigue is there and quite a bit of mystery--very much like Ender's Game. I read it just as fast those, too-- little more than a day. R ...more
Derek
A fantastic sci-fi/fantasy time travelling romp. I loved it, and was engrossed by the disparate ideas and eager to learn how the two collided. It managed to be mysterious without being formulaic, have interesting insights into science and human nature, and a good set up for an epic series. I was heartbroken when I learned the second book isn't out yet. In addition to all of this, it seems that Card is revisiting the "genius child" that he explored in Ender's Game. Highly recommended.
Ungelic_is_us
This book was straight-up terrible. If I hadn't read it in audiobook I probably would have dropped it (although many a time did I wish that it had it in dead tree form so I could skim the endless, boringly repetitive discussions of time-travel paradox.) The characters have the same conversations over and over again; when they're separated, they have to go through the same process of figuring out the same problems, and then talk about them again. Each time someone joins the party they have to exp ...more
Maicie
group read for Erodorks.

Geez, this book is listed as young adult. Kind of humiliating to admit how I struggled with the time-folding, space-traveling, and quantum physics involved. And I mean really, really struggled. I skimmed some parts because no matter how many times I read and reread certain chapters, I never did get clarity.

Still, I’m giving this 4 big stars. The verbal swordplay is hysterical, the characters are likeable and, for me, the story line is fresh.

Rigg can see the paths others
John Brown
I was once in a discussion about religion with a friend who happens to be an atheist and fellow science fiction and fantasy writer. He’s a great guy. The blog posts he wrote about the passing of the woman he loved who was lost to cancer were poignant and wonderful–full of beauty. I read them and wanted to be a better man. Still, he and I disagree about God.

I remember telling him that science fiction is the one genre that makes God more plausible than any other. At least, it makes my view of God
Eva Mitnick
Jeffrey
3.5 but I rounded up. Time travel gives me a headache though and Rigg is more like a 50 year old with a degree in astrophysics than a 14 year old boy, but I care enough about the characters to see what happens next. I have always been a fan of Card's work. This book is a little dry for my tastes. I'm also not sure that even though the main characters are children that this book is actually a young adult novel. I don't think Card's best work, Ender's Game, was originally meant to be a young adult ...more
Evelyn Ink
I really wanted to love this book, I am a huge fan of Orson Scott Card, especially Ender's Game. I was sure he would write an amazing YA book ... and someday he might, this however, is not that book. At first I just kept believing it would get better, but soon I realized I was just forcing myself through the book page by page. At about page 300 I finally gave up and flipped to the end to read the last 10 pages. I shouldn't have bothered.
The problem: The character is completely unbelievable board
Jason
3 Stars

First, I am a huge Orson Scott Card fan so my review and feelings are biased. This coming of age fantasy is perfectly matched for the young adult crowd. There are some great scenes in this book. The pacing is fast and the novel is the right size. I enjoyed this read and will move on in the series. This book is not without faults but it will be enjoyed by fantasy fans and of course by fans of Card himself like me.

The magic is the best part of this novel. The characters are all likable and
Kaitlin
I would give this book a 3.5* rating which is not bad but not brilliant either and unfortunately the reason for that somewhat average rating is because I feel that this book suffered a bit from 'first book syndrome'. I read this as a co-read with Amanda and we read it in various chunks and analysed it as we went which really helped break down the story and weigh the true quality of the book whilst also being fun for us to catch up and talk about books!

This is the story of two parallel storylines
Grace
Torn on this one. Card writes very ambitiously for children, expecting them to keep up with a lot of information that's bound to be way over their heads, and usually that's an excellent thing. In "Pathfinder", I felt like something was missing, or something was too much. Mainly that the characters were drawn in big hacking brushmarks, while the time-travel was a little blinding. I came away interested in the themes (well, -ish), and sort of baffled by the actual plot.

I've just reread "Ender's Ga
Ryan Lawler
Pathfinder is the first book in Orson Scott Cards Serpent World series published by Simon & Schuster in 2010. Well known in the Sci-fi world for the Ender Saga (notably Ender's Game), and the Homecoming Saga, Card seems to be branching more and more into the fantasy genre with better results each time. With Pathfinder, Card has taken a number of the more complex sci-fi elements and used them to create a quality YA fantasy story that is original, easy to understand, and fun to read.

The story
Stefan
Rigg is a 13-year-old boy who lives in seclusion with his father, surviving as a trapper and only occasionally going to the nearest town to sell animals’ pelts. He is successful as a trapper in part because he has a unique ability: he can see the “paths” people and animals have taken, in the form of a colored trail that stretches behind them, showing where they’ve been. This way, he can track almost anything — “almost” because the only person who doesn’t have a trail is his father...

Of course, m
Libby
4th time editing my review.
This book had some really good parts. The very beginning was set up pretty well, and did make me want to read on. The beginnings of the chapter were also very good. They were like a bit of a sub-story that I found entertaining to read, mainly because it was very different from the main story line.
There were really two big things that I didn't like about this book. One was the characters. I didn't like any of them. I thought that they were all fairly dumb and made irra
Rae
I've found that when it comes to Orson Scott Card's writing and I, it's a bit of a love/hate relationship. I find myself, over and over, coming back to his books because of the crazy ideas that they embody, but then at some point or another just want him to skip the pages of pondering a character does before acting on something. Really Ram, did you really need to spend so long debating in a circular manner with the expendables? In the case of Pathfinder, the story was very enjoyable, and I loved ...more
Brian
Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder is a fantastic science fiction/fantasy adventure story that slowly unfurls in such a way as to make it difficult to describe without ruining the pleasure a reader would derive from reading it all themselves. I'll try to avoid spoilers, but aim to do better than the vague jacket copy, reproduced verbatim at the top of the book's Goodreads record.

Pathfinder tells two stories simultaneously. Each chapter begins with a little bit of Ram Odin's story. He's commanding a s
Alias Pending
SHORT REVIEW: A two star rating cannot be quibbled with.

LESS SHORT REVIEW: What is this story about? Quibbling. Lots of quibbling from every character in every scene. Not debating, not hypothesizing, not conflicting, just quibbling over every issue that is in front of them, large or small. Which leads to problem 2. All the characters are exactly the same. They may be described differently, but they all quibble exactly the same.

What else? This is where I can quibble with myself because there is s
Monk
I am a big fan of Card, but this is just a bad book. 600 pages without a plot; instead the characters spend most of the book walking around musing about paradoxes of time travel. That gets tiresome and repetitive early on. The main character, Rigg, is Card's typical precocious kid taken to absurdity. He knows everything, can do anything, and clearly has read the rest of the book already. There is never any tension in the book, because you know that Rigg already has thought of everything and is g ...more
April
Rigg, main character of Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card, has a special gift. He can see the path of all living things through time, but only the past. His ability to sense paths leads him to trouble, but also comes in handy to save him and his friends. Pathfinder opens on a note of tragedy. Rigg's father dies within the first chapter and with his last breath asks Rigg to find his long estranged sister. Thus begins this sci-fi journey fraught with peril, political intrigue, and new friends along t ...more
♥ Unaeve ♥ Olga
As i happen to be a mother of a 13 year old boy ,the same age as Rigg the main character,i have to say it's very annoying that the writer didn't look a bit around him self and studied how 13y old boys behave and think.
There is no way Rigg behaves like such a young child,he should at least have 17 or even more years by the way he thinks and talks...

And all those ramblings about time travels doesn't help either to make the story more likable...

Must say i am disappointed,was expecting something els
Starseeker
Okay so before I begin this review I wanna give two disclaimers.
Disclaimer 1: This review might contain minor spoilers.
Disclaimer 2: This review is in no way influenced by the author. Some of you may be wandering what I'm talking about but for those who do know I want to put it out there just in case and say that this review (and all my other review and those in the future) are in no way influenced by the author.

Okay, now that that's all sorted out LET US BEGIN.
Imma split this review into sect
Lu
This book asks you to be a smart reader, or at least, not a lazy one; the powers the characters possess are interesting; the logic the characters employ to figure out situations in the book is fun to work through; and the sci-fi parts didn't overwhelm the characters and relationships (which is good if you're not really a sci-fi fan).

The basic premise is that Rigg can see the past--anywhere an animal or human (with one exception) has been leaves a path that he can see. He discovers, though, that
Christopher Smith
I couldn't put this down for the last few days, a fact that has considerably inhibited my school work and screwed up my sleep schedule. If you love time-travel stories as much as I do, then you will love the mind-bending maze of paradox Card has constructed here. Plenty of wry and witty dialogue keeps it from ever getting tedious. I also enjoyed the blend of fantasy and science fiction, which reminded me somewhat of Card's earlier Treason and Homecoming novels.

As usual in Card's novels, the worl
1st Period Langua...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book 2 2 11 Mar 25, 2014 04:40AM
Pathfinder Movie 2 34 Dec 16, 2013 08:01PM
  • The Hangman's Revolution (W.A.R.P., #2)
  • The Dark City (Relic Master, #1)
  • An Army of Frogs: A Kulipari Novel
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Fever Crumb (Fever Crumb, #1)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4)
  • The Obsidian Blade (The Klaatu Diskos, #1)
  • Worldshaker (Worldshaker, #1)
  • The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1)
  • Singing the Dogstar Blues
  • As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earth
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)
  • On the Blue Comet
  • The Bat Scientists (Scientists in the Field)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • WWW: Watch (WWW, #2)
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...

Pathfinder (3 books)
  • Ruins (Pathfinder, #2)
  • Visitors (Pathfinder, #3)
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #3) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #4) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #5)

“For children love is a feeling; for adults, it is a decision. Children wait to learn if their love is true by seeing how long it lasts; adults make their love true by never wavering from their commitment.” 90 likes
“Maybe that's all demons ever are. People like us, doing things without even knowing what we're doing.” 18 likes