Start by marking “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish” as Want to Read:
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  97,268 ratings  ·  1,458 reviews
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is a 1960 children's book by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel). A simple rhyming book for learner readers, it is a book with a freewheeling plot about a boy and a girl, and the many amazing creatures they have for friends and pets. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish was part of the Beginner Book Video series which included Oh, the Thin...more
Published October 6th 2003 by Harper Collins Children's Books (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
21st out of 3,071 books — 4,557 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
47th out of 3,083 books — 5,853 voters

More lists with this book...

Seth
(This review is in response to a request as to why I have only given One Fish, Two Fish... three stars)

Firmly ensconced in the middle tier of the Dr Seuss canon, One Fish, Two Fish... is many people's favorite for its light humor, catchy, Moliere-esque couplets, and clever use of repetition as well as surprise, as in the title, where the rhyming word comes at the beginning of a repeated syllable, rather than at the end of the phrase.

It earns its place as one of the most quotable (possibly only...more
Jason Koivu
Sheer poetry!

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish is a pure genius work of epic poetry. The beginning of the tale focuses on...you guessed it...fish. Pages and pages of fish with various characteristics (mostly harmless) are paraded before the reader in flashes of color and humor. But then (and this is where Dr. Seuss lost a star rating from me) the story veers off and begins introducing a random cast of beings more strange than an assortment of beasties rejected from a circus of the bizarre...more
Sydney
This is the first book I ever read out loud to my mom by myself. Because of this, it will always have a special place in my heart. We had just moved to Illinois. I was 4 1/2. I kept asking my mom to read to me, but she was busy unpacking boxes. She said, "Sound out the words, just like I showed you, and you can do it yourself."
So in my determined little way I said, "Fine." Later that afternoon, I read it to her. She was shocked. She kept grabbing books off the shelf to test me, thinking I'd memo...more
Stephen
3.0 stars. Another clever, original Children's story by the legendary Dr. Seuss. Not his best, but still great to read with the kids.
Brad
When I reach for a Dr. Seuss, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is never the book I reach for. If I need something quick because the kids are late for bed, I grab The Sneetches and pick a tale. If there's more time, but I'm still in a hurry, Green Eggs and Ham is the perfect choice. When two year old Scoutie wants a book, I grab the easiest Seuss of them all, Hop on Pop (just as I did when the twins were babes). If I want to have some fun for myself, I grab the tongue twisterrific Fox in Sock...more
Sarah Sammis
One of the joys of being a parent is sharing old favorites with my children. Harriet and Sean are now discovering Dr. Seuss. We are reading through all of his books and have landed on my all time favorite: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. From the time I was Harriet's age to being in second or third grade, I read this book on an almost daily basis. I really don't know how many times I've read it (either listening to it being read by one of my parents or reading it myself).

One Fish, Two...more
Abi
ya gotta love dr. seuss
Shannon The Show Stopper
This is one of my favorites!
Bethany
Jan 01, 2014 Bethany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any fans of Dr Seuss.
Okay, I'm not ashamed to admit it- I stole this from my cousin. She didn't miss it as it was sneakily done. I had heard some raving reviews about this book from 'ole Goodreads and although as a child myself I was never a fan I thought I would give it a go. So, when I discovered the book and film The Grinch which is one of my favourites, and saw this book innocently laying on the table I thought that this was an opportunity to great to miss.

I read this book and although I enjoyed it very much it...more
Tamara
Who doesn't like Dr. Seuess? Even my 18-month-old picks this book over her previous favorites, wanting to read this book cover-to-cover (an amazing feat for an 18-month-old to sit still that long) at least twice in a row.
jenna nims
i know everyone will probably hate me for not liking this but it is a pain to read to your child - a bunch of nonsense words rhyming does not always entertain - and in this case neither me or caroline were entertained.
Keeley Mali
MY Favorite Dr. Suess book. I actually have the entire book memorized, my girls get a kick out of me reciting it! One of my many useless talents thank you! :)
Hannah Grippo
my favoirte of Seuss. It's of no plot, so there's the wonderland quality of just what's gonna happen next. Even after many reads, I really enjoy it because of the stream of thoughts, following no order, of interesting and DIVERSE (which he stresses) things of what you see throughout the day. There's the child's perception of "funny things" that is frank and genuine. Like wishing you had 11 fingers, or why do peole who can't read look at books, or imagining the fun in work (milking a cow, opening...more
Jessica
This book is a wonderful story time book! It has colors, counting, rhyming, and letter repetition. The illustrations are wonderfully entertaining(as usual) and colorful. While the story itself is full of laughs that keep children on the edge of their seats. The only reason that I give this book a four-star is because of its length. Getting young children to sit still for this entire book would definitely be challenging for children in a group. Although it was my sons favorite bed-time story when...more
Hulaimat Iyabo
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish is a fantastic book of poetry by Dr. Seuss. It has no real plot but is packed full of imaginative, silly and funny creatures doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things. It is a great book to introduce children to different poetry styles, with features such as alliteration, rhythm and rhyme, repetition and many tongue twisters.
It is also great for teaching children counting, colours and opposite words, these can be found in lines such as;
“Some are old....more
Kiera Turner
Dr. Seuss was a genius! His books are absolutely awesome and are the best teachers when it comes to rhyming and phonemic awareness! I remember my mom reading me all of the Dr. Seuss books when I was younger! Now I share all my Dr. Seuss books with my children in the classroom!
Amanda
Often requested at bedtime. Sometimes I wonder if it's because it's so long. Occasionally when I'm trying to hurry up bedtime, I skip several of the sections in the back with no negative effect. All the "poems" are one or 2 pages, except the beginning one about fish, so this is easily accomplished (at least for an unsuspecting 2 y/o). This isn't as fun to read as Green eggs and ham and not what I had remembered from childhood, but he likes it, which I can't argue with.
Vanda
My son did not really get into this book until he was about 13 months old, but now we read it at least twice a day, if not more. It's great because you can open it on any page and start reading there. There is no need to start at the beginning. We're goin to get a new one soon, since the soft pages do not respond well to rough toddler handling. So, "if you like to go Bump! Bump!, get on the hump of the wump of Gump!"(one of our favorites)
Marsha
No thesis, argument, or complicated plot. Two children encounter a variety of gill-bearing aquatic craniate animals, each one involved in a nonsensical existence. Much like "A Clockwork Orange" in language development, Seuss has used the simple grammar to his advantage to obtain a rhythmic story of human encounters with the aquatic world.
Rose
Ned's situation thoroughly delivers the schadenfreude. We're left hanging, however, with Clark's lack of development. I'm curious to learn what became of this character. How much did you grow, Clark, and why were you in that dark park? Perhaps a sequel is in order, not simply for plot twist closure; I very much look forward to counting beyond two.
Cruth
Author/Illustrator: Dr Suess
First Published: 1960

This is simply an easy read with a known vocabulary, colours and short tales. Easily digested cameo pieces that appeal to the very young and he parent rushing through the bedtime read.

Age:
Read aloud: 3+
Read yourself: 5+

-CR-
Anne
Jul 07, 2007 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to do voices when they read aloud
Shelves: kidsteens
A great read-aloud for doing funny voices. And it has a great message as well: "From near to far, from far to near, funny things are everywhere." Everyone should take a little time to enjoy the absurd, and where better to start than with Dr. Seuss?
August Maclauchlan
We looove this book. Even though its not on a hook:) the boys laughed and were full of glee, though I'm not sure if they liked it more than me
John Yelverton
Yet another fun and exciting book from the mind of Dr. Seuss.
Stefanie
When I was in 1st grade I read this entire book to the class. My teacher, Mrs Barley - gave me a mini trophy with a google eye sticker saying "Good Job." This award was not for reading the book, but the fact that I read the whole thing holding it in front of me - essentially reading it upside down. Even Mrs Barley had to hold books at an angle to read to the class and show the pictures. Yes, this is one of my shining childhood moments that I am most proud of. I can read upside down. I was thrill...more
Erik Graff
Oct 13, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Erik by: Lajla Stousland
Shelves: art
Dad's mother, Lajla, was as generous with my little brother, Fin Einar, as she had been with me, buying both of us many books when we were children. In the case of this book, it came as part of some mail-order offer, Fin receiving a package with a new offering each month or so. Not all of these cheaply-made hardcovers were by Dr. Seuss, but those that were by him were the only ones I could read aloud again and again without getting insufferably bored.

Now, many years later, I have another little...more
Deja
Review: I enjoyed reading this book to my nephew I loved how while I was reading he picked out some of the rhyming words on his own without me stopping and asking him did he understand what that meant. I also am Dr.Seuss fan especially this book I love how he uses so many different colors an children vocabulary in his book. Also these types of books are good for children who have a hard time reading a beginner book.

Learning Experiences: I could use this book as a ongoing lesson with some math an...more
Madeline Isaak
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish: This is another simple rhyming book that discusses the crazy creatures that a boy and a girl have for pets. This book is an easy read and explores colors, numbers, and opposites in a fun and creative way that entices children to read. This book would be great to incorporate into the classroom because it introduces colors, which are a very important thing for children to learn. It incorporates numbers, which are another very important thing for students to...more
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 DJ Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss is a 1960's children's book that remains timeless. I read this book often with my grandson, Gauge.

Gauge is 4-years-old and loves this simple rhyming book designed for learner readers like him. The book's freewheeling plot about a boy and a girl, and the many amazing creatures they have for friends and pets keeps him excited and entertained.

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss Five Star Review
Asalyn Holliday
I think this book is great for so many reasons. It could be used to teach about rhyming, phonics, colors, and numbers. It makes me think of our Literacy Text and how it says there should be many different kinds of books covering different concepts available in the classroom. This book covers several all in one!
fish 2 8 Oct 02, 2014 09:29AM
why do i love this book? 16 57 Aug 27, 2014 09:19PM
I think everyone has to love Dr.Suess's books 10 31 Jun 05, 2014 10:33AM
1st Period Langua...: Rachels book 3 1 2 May 03, 2014 05:45PM
1st Period Langua...: Book 3 1 3 Apr 14, 2014 06:15PM
  • Elephants Cannot Dance!
  • The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • I Was So Mad
  • Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax

“From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!” 3035 likes
“My shoe is off. My foot is cold. I have a bird I like to hold.” 186 likes