Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,047 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The 'Young Dog' of the title is of course Thomas himself, & this volume of autobiographical stories by the great modern poet, who shows his waggish humor at its best, his exuberance & verbal magic in spectacular display. It also shows him a spinner of tales & a creator of memorable characters.
The peaches
A visit to Grandpa's
Patricia, Edith & Arnold
The fight
E...more
Published 1968 by New Directions Publishing Corporation (NYC) (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog

Great Expectations by Charles DickensJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëDavid Copperfield by Charles DickensThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerA Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
BILDUNGSROMAN
12th out of 86 books — 17 voters
First Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussBratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi HarrisonMidnight In The Garden Of Evel Knievel by Giles Smith
Titlemania I: Puns in Titles
81st out of 258 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Teresa
Dez contos que relatam momentos da vida do autor, durante a infância e adolescência.
Gostei muito dos primeiros contos - de quando ele era menino - e da inocência e perspicácia com que observa e descreve pequenos pormenores do comportamento dos adultos.
Depois cresce, vai para a escola, vai acampar com os amigos,...e...não tenho paciência...
crystal
I started telling my friend this story from my childhood when I realized I had no memory of the event. It wasn't my childhood at all but Three Peaches. Dylan's stories are so natural and absorbing that they settle in with you.
Jon
Jul 28, 2007 Jon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: you
There were always a few Dylan Thomas poems in our English lit books in high school - "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" was the most prominent - but I don't think I really got it until I heard a recording of him reading "A Child's Christmas In Wales" in his incredibly rich, expressive and tender baritone. The stories in this little volume are in that vein - quaint and loving reminiscences of his boyhood Wales, but unsparing, and richly evocative. Here is a short sentence about drinking beer...more
Nikki
I don't like Dylan Thomas' short stories nearly as much as his poetry and Under Milk Wood, but he certainly has a way with words, with descriptions that are fresh and different. For that it gets an extra star than I would normally give it.

A couple of these stories -- 'A Visit to Grandpa's' and 'One Warm Saturday' -- are really going to stick in my mind.

As with Under Milk Wood, likely to reward rereading: I'd read 'The Peaches' and 'Extraordinary Little Cough' before, and I liked them more this t...more
Bookaholic
Dylan Thomas (identificabil pentru cine ştie cît timp cu inubliabilul do not go gentle into that good night) a construit Portretul artistului ca tînăr cîine din zece povestiri care-şi adună conţinutul din experineţele directe ale lui Thomas, toate legate de vîrstele primelor descoperiri revelatorii: copilăria şi adolescenţa. Desigur, ele pot fi citite în orice ordine preferaţi, fără teamă că pierdeţi vreun fir care le ordonează (asta deşi există cîteva personaje şi peisaje recurente, dar fără ca...more
Liam Guilar
There was a time when Dylan Thomas's poetry was a necessary obsession for literary adolescents. But then we grew up. These days most of the poems don't seem convincing, but the prose and 'Under Milkwood' still hold their own.

If the title is a not so sly dig at Joyce the collection of stories invites and is haunted by a damaging comparison with 'Dubliners'.

Thomas's prose sings and the stories of growing up in Wales are memorable. 'One Warm Saturday' , the last story, has been a favorite for decad...more
Kirstie
Nov 14, 2010 Kirstie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kirstie by: Rory
There's a great deal of interesting characters to these stories and though they don't really knock you over the head, they tend to stick with you for awhile in all their small subtleties. What I really enjoyed about this book is, and excuse me for being very Holden Caufield-y but none of the characters are fake or phony even the guy who convinces two women he loves them both. There's a sense of innocence to these Welsh human beings even when their intentions are not so good and there's also a hu...more
Terry
Thomas is better known as a poet (ex. "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night") but here he uses prose, or, more accurately, prose-poetry. Thomas parodies the title and the structure, but not the content, of Joyce's "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", and "Dubliners". Whereas Joyce gave us windows into his youth in Ireland of the late-19th to early 20th century, Thomas writes of Wales circa the 1920s. Most of the stories are straightforward, but one or two are highly symbolic and make no sen...more
Eddie
It was a kinda slow at times, and sometimes it didn't really keep my attention. The end is really good, but I'm not sure if it is sufficiently good to make up for the slow rest of the book. It's definitely well written, many of the descriptions are really quite beautiful, but overall it was just okay. The style was nice, and if I spent more time thinking about the book and what it was saying I probably would have liked it more.
Eric
Dylan Thomas wrote stories exactly the way I would like to write: witty, playful, wonderfully and unusually descriptive, and poetic as heck. Chiefly known as a poet, it makes sense that he spends way more of his time here chiseling out perfect phrases and sentences than bothering about narrative. While each story does have a very interesting plot, there are many, many paragraphs dedicated to fascinating descriptions: of people, landscapes, houses, or inner feelings (mostly of young Dylan himself...more
Nick
This is early, quiet, observant Dylan Thomas, someone at home on the byways and beaches of his native Wales. He was already a poet when he published it, and although it shows off some of his rhythmic skill, the interest here is in the particular, in people. As he writes in an early story: “Gwilym was a tall young man aged nearly twenty, with a think stick of a body and spade-shaped face. You could dig the garden with him.” Many of the most effective stories are written from the perspective of ch...more
Paul Harris
With a title nodding at James Joyce, Thomas' first prose collection (after several volumes of poetry) was published in 1940. Also autobiographical, these ten somewhat bittersweet stories cover different periods in the author's childhood, later youth and early adulthood. These stories are tenderly written, though they have more than a fair share of humour and are definitely written with a twinkle in the eye. They give an interesting insight to the lower-middle class childhood and coming of age Th...more
Sheila Francis
I was engaged by this collection mostly because I'm interested in Dylan Thomas and in the historical context of these stories. Having said that, the ending of 'A Visit to Grandpa's', particularly the final image, will stay with me. Likewise the desolate ending of 'One Warm Saturday'.
Adam Stone
The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog is a book of short stories written by the welsh writer and poet Dylan Thomas. Ten stories comprise this collection and each of them feature a raft of interesting characters which are all well drawn.

After reading these I believe that they work best read aloud much like Thomas' Under Milk Wood and I would love to hear them like that.

It was certainly interesting to read as Thomas was often a beautiful writer and really had a way with words and he certainl...more
B
Nov 26, 2008 B added it
Excellent book. I read it for a class and we kind of treated it more as a novel than a short story collection for the purposes of the class, but it's the book that I chose to write my final paper on. The short stories are very good, and most are sad or bittersweet, but not all. Also, the narrator for the most part is Thomas himself, which means he's a very boyish boy and mannish man. You know, stuff like getting into fights with kids and becoming friends over that, getting drunk a lot when older...more
Chas Bayfield
I'd already read 'Peaches' for O'level so I was keen to read more but remember finding this disappointing - overly flowery for the sake of it.
Ape
This was such a good read. He has such a way of describing people and situations. It's really worth reading - actually made me laugh out loud which doesn't happen a lot with books =) It's a collection of short chapters about his childhood and his days as a newbie journalist in Swansea. With lots of eccentric Welsh characters all over the place. I especially loved the chapter when he was little and was staying with his uncle and aunt and his mad cousin who had built a church in the farmyard barn;...more
Miriam Wakerly
Enjoyed the rich language, vignettes and cameos of Dylan Thomas life, more interesting than a 'this happened and then this' chronological account of life. Tied in well with recent TV viewing of Tom Hollander's great performance as Dylan.
Nancy
Although Dylan Thomas is more known for his poetry, I decided to try a collection of his short stories. I enjoyed some of them, but some I had trouble following. I understand he had an incredible voice and that people loved to hear him do readings. Some of it really was great, but I think if he wasn't "famous" I wouldn't think much of them as a whole. They are autobiographical and all I kept thinking as I read them was, "here is a perfect example of a GT boy/young man."
Fritz
Not yet, have I ventured into the mysterious world of poetry seriously. I've read some John Donne and read some to and fro. But this 'autobiography' of one of the English language's most important poets of the 20th century has certainly aroused my interest.

The book loosely follows the author as he travels across ages and styles into his life, an absurd array of stories which has its grande finale in "One Warm Saturday"

One last quote:
"Too much platitudinous verbosity!"
Steve Dewey
It started off well, with "The Peaches" and "A Visit to Grandpa's", but then it all became a bit bogged down in lovely words and fancy phrases. Nothing much happened in subsequent stories; which if they had been a bit shorter might not have mattered so much. There are, also, only so many stories I can sit through about a young man who likes a drink.
Clio
This slight collection of short stories was a very pleasurable book to commute with. I found myself becoming very absorbed in these evocative and poetic insights into people's lives. Thomas writes with a strong sense of mood and emotion, and I enjoyed dwelling in these stories for a while. A collection that deserves re-reading, and so I look forward to picking these up again at a later date.
Kitty
I think I've said this before, but words make me fall in love. I've fallen in love over email with a guy I never met simply because the way he wrote overpowered me and really resonated. Dylan Thomas is like that too. A warm fuzzy blanket of words that I can wrap up in, like an old friend. There is pain and love and hope and hopelessness in his writing, the perfect window into a perfect mind.
Rupert Owen
Dylan Thomas never fails at reclaiming his literary streets, although I found his portrait kind of painted in water colours when it should have been oil based - I guess he was merely whittling away at memories and on this level it worked. Don't get me wrong, I think the man is a enigma of brazen thought, only this particular work sort of tied me over rather then carried me away.
Emily Yelencich
I especially liked: The Fight and One Warm Saturday. I haven't read any Dylan Thomas before, but I really enjoyed the atmospheric feeling of his prose. I think the predominant themes of isolation, loneliness, and longing were captured beautifully in the exploration of coming of age in the city. Seems to me he has a pretty vast and deep understanding of the human condition.
Carly Johnson
This was an awful compilation of short stories. I admit it, I bought it because the book cover was amusing. But, seriously, every piece of work has a beginning, middle, and end. Every single short story in this book was purely 'middle' . . . no real beginning, no real ending. Alas, I had to give it a star - but if I could give it less, I would. Ugh.
1.1
A great blend of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Dubliners makes this a beguiling book. It is more allusion than aping, which makes it all the more interesting, and all the stories are great, the final one especially is a piece of classic greatness. I am impressed.
Rickeclectic
Dec 11, 2008 Rickeclectic rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who can read. Anyone who wants to write
Shelves: literature
Amazing writing. It seems to vibrate, its so alive. Funny, tragic, eerie and mostly about just regular everyday life. Short stories and loose threads of thought. I wish he hadn't died so young. I love just about everything he ever wrote, even down to his letters.
Derek Bridge
A pre-War Welsh childhood in story form, the prose studded with the kind of linguistic jewels that only a poet can muster. Uneven in their quality, the best are those of early childhood. Get your hands on a copy for the first story, The Peaches, alone.
  • The Diary, Vol. 4: 1931-1935
  • The Virgin and the Gipsy & Other Stories
  • The Pat Hobby Stories
  • Selected Poems
  • Pic
  • Mrs. Woolf and the Servants: An Intimate History of Domestic Life in Bloomsbury
  • The Bridge: A Poem
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • Letters, Summer 1926
  • Virginia Woolf
  • In a German Pension: 13 Stories
  • Falling Towards England
  • A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries
  • Darkness Moves: An Henri Michaux Anthology, 1927-1984
Dylan Marlais Thomas was a Welsh poet. He is regarded by many as one of the 20th century's most influential poets.

In addition to poetry, Thomas also wrote short stories and scripts for film and radio, with the latter frequently performed by Thomas himself. His public readings, particularly in America, won him great acclaim; his booming, at times ostentatious, voice with a subtle Welsh lilt, became...more
More about Dylan Thomas...
Collected Poems Under Milk Wood A Child's Christmas in Wales Adventures in the Skin Trade Quite Early One Morning