Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)

Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe #7)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  971 ratings  ·  63 reviews
The Latest Novel in the Exciting Liaden Universe® Space Adventure Series. The Sequel to Saltation.

Aelliana Caylon has endured much, and finally, she appears to have won all: a spaceship, comrades, friends -- and the love of a pilot she adores.

Published June 1st 2010 by Baen

Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1) by Sharon LeeSaltation (Theo Waitley, #2) by Sharon LeeFledgling by Sharon LeeThe Agent Gambit by Sharon LeeKorval's Game by Sharon Lee
Liaden Universe Collection
10th out of 30 books — 8 voters
Here There Be Dragons by Michelle O'LearyLast Chance [Sunscapes Trilogy Book 1] by Michelle O'LearyGhost in the Machine by C.E. KilgoreShards of Honour by Lois McMaster BujoldGames of Command by Linnea Sinclair
Space Opera Romance
7th out of 68 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynn Calvin
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

The first time I read this series 'Mouse and Dragon' wasn't published. Daav and Aelliana's story ended on a positive note at the end of Scout's Progress. Yet, as I meandered through the other parts of the this intriguing universe it became clear that 'events' had occurred. A child, was born...the reader meets Val Con in the Conflict of Honors series. (view spoiler)...more
Kathleen
2.5 stars, rounded up. Going in chronological order through the series, I read Mouse and Dragon immediately after Scout's Progress. I liked Scout's Progress more than Mouse and Dragon. A lot more.

On the positive side, there are some tender loving scenes between Daav and Aelliana. It was good to see Aelliana (abused so horribly for over a decade) continue to grow a spine, becoming a person of strong self-worth. Their wedding scene was certainly unexpected, and mildly amusing. I liked the (few) sc...more
Sherwood Smith
May 10, 2010 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: sf
Though this book is a must for all Liaden fans, for the very same reason it's a must I don't recommend new readers begin here. Far better to read Agent of Change or even I Dare and enjoy the full range of Liaden tales, which intersect more like Keltic knotwork than in linear fashion.

Therefore no summary, as just about everything is a spoiler. I will state that this book forms the second half of Scout's Progress. Readers are in the position of knowing what is going to come: this book is all about...more
Carolyn
Another great installement in the Liaden series.
Best read directly following Scout's Progress, this book also ties into the new series that begins with Fledgling and continues with Saltation.
Cindy
Whew, hard book to review. Not because it's not a page turning novel because it is - do not start this when you have other things pending [such as cookies in the oven, children in need of transport, or parents needing to be picked up at the airport:]. Those of us who have read the books that are chronologically later know what has to happen in this book - and that's what makes this a hard review for me. So let's leave it as:
Great book, great read, great plot, great characters - and have the late...more
Barbara
Lee and Miller are in fine form in this direct sequel to Scout's Progress.
Though the book can stand alone, it has a whole lot more emotional weight if you have read Scout's Progress.
It looks like Daav and Aelliana are finally free to declare their love and forge a life together. But, that would be too simple! Of course there are obstacles!! Her clan does not want to lose her, members of his clan are reluctant to welcome her and then there are outside forces at work too.
Marvelous addition to the...more
Michelle
I am always psyched for any new Liaden book and I was not disappointed. This is the sequel to Scout's Progress, so we get to see more of Daav and Aelliana's life. But more than being just a sequel for these characters it really ties a lot of other character history together as well. It really helps pull Fledgling and Saltation solidly into the Korval circle, because we see snippets of Jen Sar Kiladi and it explained a norbear sequence from Saltation that I wondered about. It made everything feel...more
Kerry
Mar 27, 2011 Kerry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, 9, ebooks, sf
Another lovely,lovely book from Lee and Miller. I'm so glad I have finally read it - although I'm not sorry I waiting until after a reread of Scout's Progress as this on begins where that one ends.

There were some sad parts - as I knew there would be - but overall it was most enjoyable and left me feeling that all the pieces are now in place for the later books.

I had been planning to continue my reread by going to Val Con and Miri's first book, but I've decided to go back and do the earlier chron...more
Li
This was a hard book for me to finish. Not because it was boring or badly-written, but because as a "fill-in" book in the series, I knew exactly how it was going to end and I really didn't want the final events to happen (talk about vague, sorry).

So it was a peculiar reading experience - I kept on dipping in and out of the book, and maybe because of this, I never really got properly into the world, and found the characters and the language overdone at times. But when I took a deep breath and fi...more
Jim

Even better that her lover—the man who was destined for her, a man as much a loner as she—is also the Delm of Korval, arguably the most powerful person on all of Liad. He has the power to remove her and protect her from the toxic environment of her home

Rosalind M
I love the voice and the interactions and, perhaps, the formality of the Liaden characters. The strong world-building and society-building in this series make each one of these books a pleasure, even when the pace slows down a bit too much.
Joy
Picks up precisely where _Scout's Progress_ left off. Although Aelliana Caylon is now a qualified pilot and has escaped from her abusive brother, problems still exist. Her clan wants her back. Her relationship with Daav yos'Phelium, the delm of Korval, has been strangely affected by her abuse. And there is someone or someones making pilots disappear down by the docks...

Although I think this book stands alone, I really think you have to read _Scout's Progress_ for the beginning to make much sense...more
Erin
Sbuchler
I’m not sure what I expected, but this novel wasn’t it. Lee and Miller always include a heavy dose of romance in their Liaden novels, but the primary plot is action-adventure. That is not the structure of this book. The action-adventure bits are primarily a “B” plot, or maybe even a “C” plot; they’re granted very little time. Primarily this is a romance – it continues the story of Daav and Aelliana that looked to be happily wrapped up at the end of Scout’s Progress. The theme of this book seems...more
kvon
A science fiction romance fantasy. SF because there are space ships and alien critters. The story is the courting of Daav and Aelliana, Val Con's parents; it's between an upper class man, and less upper class woman who has to learn to manage social alliances, but there are no concerns about money (Daav starts with a fortune, but it's unclear how it was generated). There are rules in this society about family duty vs personal duty that must be navigated. The fantasy aspect is how quickly Aelliana...more
She-Who-Reads
This book was a sequel to Scout's Progress, one of my all-time favorites in this series. Mouse and Dragon, while excellent, wasn't quite as good. The book was fantastic up until Daav and Aelliana became officially lifemated. It was a lovely look at their relationship as they grew closer and Aelliana healed emotionally from her family's abuse and blossomed into a fully self-confident woman. However, I really wish the book had ended there.

After the lifemating, though, the book became fragmented. I...more
Nick
Another fine addition to Lee and Miller's Liaden series. This one is an immediate sequel to Scout's Progress. I really enjoyed the central characters in that book, and wanted to read more of their lives. One of the strengths of this series is the characters, and this story in particular is character driven, with very little action or adventure.
The down side to this tight character focus is that when anything other than character interaction occurs, it feels almost like an interruption. That was...more
Electric Landlady
I've always wanted to learn more about Daav and Aelliana from Scout's Progress and this book delivers in spades. Watching them learn to negotiate their new relationship and fend off attacks by other family members, with Aelliana come into her own, is a joy. Plus bonus Anne and Er Thom. (view spoiler)...more
Beth
This novel concludes the story arc begun in Scout's Progress (anthologized in The Dragon Variation), and the first nine-tenths of it is thoroughly wonderful and deeply satisfying. (Especially Kareen's soiree; Jane Austen could have written that scene no better.) But the last few chapters are pure WTF-ery. I can only presume that, as a Liaden might say, necessity existed for the storyline to take such a bizarre and upsetting turn, and that the reasons behind it will be made clear at a later point...more
Cynthia Armistead
I'm so pleased that Lee and Miller decided to give us the story of Daav and Aelliana after Pilots Choice. (Earlier they had claimed that there was nothing to tell there.)

The story is a lovely one, definitely romantic, told almost entirely from Aelliana's point of view. Those who have read the other Liaden novels know how it will end, but the details are well worth reading. It fills in some details that are helpful to know leading up to Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1).
Zachary Wagoner
This book took me a while to get into. I just wasn't feeling it at first, and was having a hard time reading at a steady pace. Then I started to know the characters and the love between the main characters began to grow on me, even if at times it seemed a little too over the top. And then I reached the end and was slammed with the realization how much the characters meant to me and the emotional impact well written fictional characters can have. I am glad I finally reached the end of this amazin...more
Michele Ray
Just finished re-reading this again. This has become my favorite series, and I am pleased beyond words that it continues. Lee and Miller have a combined voice that transports the reader, and I cannot recommend these books highly enough.

It feels as if they are not so much writing these stories, as relating to us the stories of people they know well, who just happen to inhabit the Liaden Universe. It is as if they are relating the personal histories of actual people. It really is wonderful.
Bailey Olfert
Having already read Saltation, this book helped some things to fall into place!
I enjoyed Mouse and Dragon even though at times it felt like an emotional roller coaster ride. I was deeply envious of the bond shared by Aelliana & Da'av.
However, I found the time and location changes between some chapters to be abrupt, and the accounts of their passion to be sometimes silly and overdrawn.
Overall, wonderful as usual, thanks to Lee & Miller!
Jeff Crosby
This novel is a direct sequel to Scout's Progress. For those familiar with the series, the ending is known. I suppose one could call this a background novel or a series filler, but it is more than that. The characters are engaging. Motivations are a strong factor. There are unexpected plot twists. The nature of Liaden culture is again an important factor. I liked it very much. The epilog is a clever bridge to the Theo Waitley novels.
Christopher
Series space opera / romance. I loved this. The Clan Korval books (not necessarily all Liaden books) continue to be worth their weight in gold.

In this one, the action is pretty light, and the ending is a little rushed and sketchy, but the love story and the manners issues are as good as ever.

This is definitely not the right place to start though. It is, at a minimum, the direct sequel to _Scout's Progress_.
Cindy
I really liked this book, but be forwarned, not your usual fairy tale happy ending. I was handicapped by not having read the first five in the series, but not so much that I couldn't immediately identify with the characters and become deeply invested in the plot. Reminded me of the Vorkosigan stories - I would definitely recommend to fans of character-driven, well-written science fiction.
Adam
This was a really fun read that fills in a hole in the events in the lives of Clan Korval. It works as a stand alone story, but is probably not the best entre to the Liaden Universe since knowledge of events in Pilot's Choice is sometimes assumed. I love this book, just like I love all the Liaden books; just read the others first to get the fullest enjoyment.
Kandi
This seemed a little rushed, and the tension developed too quickly resolved. Sort of a bridge between the Theo stories and the Val Con/ Miri stories.
I enjoyed it, yet it was an interlude and I hoped for more than I got. Recommended for fans of the series (like me) but start with the earlier novels if you're new to the universe.
Rachelle
"Mouse and Dragon" is a engaging, politely dramatic science fiction romance about duty to yourself vs. clan, freedom from fear, and embracing who you are. It is great to watch timid Aelliana become more confident and assertive. There is an excellent balance of character, relationships, and action (though the Low Port subplot was weak).
Goodreads Librari...: Mouse and Dragon 9 26 Aug 17, 2011 10:54AM
  • Riders of the Storm (Stratification, #2)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • CryoBurn (Vorkosigan Saga, #14)
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she...more
More about Sharon Lee...
Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9) Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8) Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12) Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5) I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)