The Philosopher's Stone

The Philosopher's Stone

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Wilson probably has earned a reputation more as a scholar & biographer than as a novelist; but this novel, originally published in 1969, proves that he possesses significant skills in the area of fiction as well. He weaves a great deal of speculation into the meaning of existence & the future of the species into the plot; so much so that the book at times seems as...more
Published August 1st 1981 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1969)

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Wilson's take on the Cthulhu mythos is certainly original, but it only appears after some 230 pages of often turgid exposition - and this is in a 268 page novel.

A narrator whose intellectual smugness and aura of the ivory tower make Lovecraft's protagonists seem like dynamic men of action obsesses over various more or less indistinguishable or highly suspect 'insights' that he believes hold the key to immortality and unlocking humanity's untapped potential.

Along the way, we are treated to vari...more
Sandy
In her article on Colin Wilson in the May 30, 2004 "Observer," reporter Lynn Barber mentioned that the author, then 73, had seemingly read "every book ever written." She also noted that Wilson claimed never to have thrown a book away, and that his home library in Cornwall contained approximately 30,000 volumes. Well, any reader who delves into the author's 1969 offering, "The Philosopher's Stone," is not likely to dispute those statements. Though chosen for inclusion in Cawthorn & Moorcock's...more
Paul Dodd
I first read this book nearly 30 years ago. At the time it was, for me, one of those pivotal books that seemed to focus my philosophical thoughts. However, on just completing my re-reading this book, I have changed my mind completely. This book attempts to fit so many pseudo-scientific references into a coherent story, and I must say, doesn't achieve the result. For instance, it attempts to cover human aging and the "mystery" of death, parapsychology, the highly debated and disputed neoteny theo...more
Philip Challinor
About as silly a work of fiction as Wilson has written (which means it's very silly indeed), but entertaining, and redeemed by its climactic vision of an ancient Lovercraftian civilisation.
Beverly J.
An astounding, mind-boggling book. I cannot wait to read more of this man's work.
Spotsalots
This was worth rereading, fortunately. Colin Wilson's strong point is his wide-ranging knowledge coupled with a passion for ideas and the expansion of human consciousness. This is a very mental book (not precisely intellectual, but focused on ideas first, adventure second, and with not much else vying for third), which is both its strength and its weakness. The narrator, a bright young man, had the good fortune to be unofficially adopted at 13 by a wealthy man of similar interests, and as the on...more
David
Colin Wilson the philosophers stone

There first immmpersion that come to mind is cinematic, but apon refectin it is more like an ecyclopedia the ablity to retain facts
Then he suggests that there intake of MESCALIN LSD & COCAINE… can help you obtain these visions this kaleidoscopic method to obtain these visions
That as stated by the author can manipulate his environment
It sound abit like quantum entanglement B but it fails in trying to explain this as
A metaphysical theory but as said o...more
Ellen
May 24, 2014 Ellen marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jaye
A fascinating read that reminded me of John Fowles's The Magus.
Sean Hopp
Erik Graff
Jun 03, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wilson fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
This novel deals with themes dealt with more entertainingly in Wilson's The Mind Parasites. I picked it up while staying in a cabin near Lake Michigan, reading quickly in bed, excited at the prospect provided by the blurb on the cover and by Oates' foreword. I was, however, disappointed. Mind Parasites was better.
Crosenblum
1 of my favorite books of all time...the depth of interest in self-evolution...and developing those hidden power's...along with the growth of boy to man genius scientist interested in the development of man's skills and abilities through out time....Plus he throw's h.p. lovecraft's cthuluism into it to...A must read!
Eddie Watkins
One of Wilson's best intellectual sci-fi thrillers. He is great at creating a scenario positioned at the very cusp of radical intellectual transformation. A feverish read that might not mutate your mind but will have it stretching like dendritic octopi after rare bits of elusive knowledge.
Yupa
Remix di temi lovecraftiani in salsa new age: poca narrazione e molte discussioni tra i personaggi.
Il tenebroso mondo di Lovecraft si scioglie nella pappa dolciastra d'un universo di speranza. Bah!
Kimber
i am HATING this book. Most self-smug long winded author except for maybe Thomas Hardy. I may blow it off and never finish it. I have already read 2.5 other books since I tried to start it! Ugh!
Christy Young
Had to stop, too bored to continue. It's supposed to be a novel and it's not. Should be labeled as "man's boring explanation of boring things that could be excited if he made a novel out of them"
David
Another of his books I read long ago and the name says it all...don't mistake the title for something Harry Potter-esque...this is another beast entirely. Worth a look and lots of fun.
Thaddeus
Got a PDF of this and actually thought it was a memoir until page 200 *blush*. Was going to sign up for the filament treatment.
Adonis
Was good up to the halfway mark, and after that it became almost unbearable to read further.
Dont bother reading this.
Karen
Required reading fo college science fiction class. Do not remember it, so must not have liked it that much.
E&cdad
A modern novel that incorporates H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. Highly recommended.
Lura Miller
Very good book with lots of interesting ideas. I really enjoyed reading it!
Will Holcomb
Will Holcomb marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Marc Calvary
Marc Calvary is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Rafał Duraj
Rafał Duraj marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • Zanoni: A Rosicrucian Tale
  • The Center of the Cyclone: Looking into Inner Space
  • The Fourth Way
  • Golf in the Kingdom
  • Titus Crow, Volume 2: The Clock of Dreams; Spawn of the Winds
  • Звёздная тень (Звёздный лабиринт #2)
  • Green Eyes
  • The Damned Highway
Wilson was born and raised in Leicester, England, U.K. He left school at 16, worked in factories and various occupations, and read in his spare time. When Wilson was 24, Gollancz published The Outsider (1956) which examines the role of the social 'outsider' in seminal works of various key literary and cultural figures. These include Albert Camus, Jean-Paul Sartre, Ernest Hemingway, Hermann Hesse,...more
More about Colin Wilson...
The Outsider The Occult The Mind Parasites Mysteries A Criminal History of Mankind