Start by marking “Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)” as Want to Read:
Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)

Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire #7)

Separated for decades by circumstance and political machinations, the Ruby Dynasty, hereditary rulers of Skolia, struggle to bring together the tattered remnants of their family in the shadow of a disastrous interstellar war. Too many have died, others are presumed lost, yet Dyhianna, the Ruby Pharaoh, must move quickly if they are reassume their rightful place as rulers o ...more
Published August 19th 2002 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spherical Harmonic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spherical Harmonic

Darth
Jan 04, 2013 Darth rated it did not like it
This felt more more like a soap opera than I care for.
It seemed to be 90% recap of the events of other books in this series along with how this made the women in univcerse feel, and 10% the unlikely bloodless coup cum coalition forming of new government.

The liking or not of this book appears to be chromosomally linked to the presence or absense of the y. XX seems to find this wondrous true to life imagining of far future lands and peoples.

Those holding XY seem to think it is boring, and perhap
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing
Spherical Harmonic (2001) 346 pages by Catherine Asaro.

When we last saw Dyhianna "Dehya" Selei in the Radiant Seas the Traders had boarded the orbiter and were chasing her, Eldrin and Taquinil. Eldrin was captured by the traders while she and Taquinil escaped into the Lock and disappeared into the psiberweb/Kyle space. When Spherical Harmonic starts Dehya wakes up very confused on the moon Opalite. As the first few chapters pass she starts remembering more. This is probably to catch up readers w
Joe Karpierz
Apr 27, 2014 Joe Karpierz rated it it was amazing
SPHERICAL HARMONIC is one of four novels that deal with the aftermath of the Radiance War. Each novel in the group (ASCENDANT SUN, THE QUANTOM ROSE, SPHERICAL HARMONIC, and THE MOON'S SHADOW, overlaps with the other three, each with a different main character. The character we follow in SPHERICAL HARMONIC is Dyhianna Selei, the current Ruby Pharaoh, titular head of the Ruby Dynasty, but really just a figurehead when it comes to ruling the Skolian Empire.

When last we saw her, Dyhianna had escaped
Rebecca Sheehy
Oct 10, 2012 Rebecca Sheehy rated it really liked it
I have read the entire Saga of the Skolian empire...some volumes multiple times. I think what draws me to these books is that not only is the science based on actual theories, making it a "hard science fiction" world rather than a magic one, but Asaro lets the character development and imagery flower..something that more traditional hard scifi writers tend not to do. This book in particular is absorbing because of the intricate mathematical theories that overlay the very real political and perso ...more
Rainbowjay
Feb 25, 2012 Rainbowjay rated it it was amazing
I've thought about how to write a review for this book. I liked it, no I loved it but how to describe it? Well, anyone who's read Catherine Asaro knows her writing and stories and this is another fine example. The thing that makes this book hard to explain is the math and science. I liked science in school as long as real math wasn't involved and loved math when we got to algebra 2 were no numbers were used. This math and science was over my head but I sort of understood it. I really wouldn't re ...more
Joy
Feb 08, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
The Ruby Pharaoh, Dehya Skolia (to much simplify her name), emerges from Kyle space after an escape from deadly Aristos. She finds herself without her memory, on a primitive planet whose food is poison to her. From there, her job is to find her family and reinstate them in power. For a long time her family's power has been as figureheads only, during which they were maltreated as breeding stock by an increasingly desperate Assembly. This is Dehya's chance to place her family in a position to be ...more
Elyndrical
Jan 04, 2014 Elyndrical rated it really liked it
The start really dragged, so much so I almost put this book down despite absolutely loving every other book in the saga. Instead I stuck with it and about 20% of the way through things really picked up.
Kimmerie
Feb 29, 2016 Kimmerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the series

This one is always a slog when I'm rereading the series. Dehya is the least relatable of all the characters in this universe, and this book is disjointed and patchy.
Additionally, the kindle version is almost unreadable due to the numerous OCR scanning errors. Someone please fix and rerelease this??
T
Jul 13, 2014 T rated it liked it
Despite the often clunky writing, I've gotten pretty invested in the Skolian Empire universe/characters. And it's cool how Asaro uses her physics and math knowledge in various ways (as with spherical harmonics in this one, or the fact that The Quantum Rose was an allegory for coupled-channel quantum scattering theory).
Ellie
Apr 08, 2016 Ellie rated it it was amazing
The Ruby Pharaoh of the Skolian Empire comes out of Kyle space disoriented and some distance from her rendezvous point. With a little luck and some tenacity, she is able to step back in her political role and create upheaval among the political structure that has dominated her and her family's lives for too long.
Cat
Apr 18, 2012 Cat rated it it was amazing
I liked finally getting to spend time reading Dyhianna's storyline. One of the nice things about reading enough volumes in Asaro's Skolian universe, eventually she fills in the missing pieces.

It did make me ponder what it might be like to read all the books not in publishing order, but plotline/universe order.
Susan
Jun 03, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, 2005, 2001
re-read 2/13/2005
re-read 5/29/2014

You have to pay ATTENTION when reading this one.

The Ruby Pharaoh has escaped the Eubians by stepping into a singularity/lock! Can she come back?

and ick cover by John Harris
Richard
Mar 02, 2012 Richard rated it did not like it
Descriptions are given priority over story substance. The relationships between characters and family members is too complex. Perhaps it is good Romance writing, but I don't believe that it is good Science Fiction.
Jenny Jeffries
Jun 24, 2011 Jenny Jeffries rated it liked it
I have been reading these out of order, but they still make stand alone reading. Recommend starting at the first and working through. Love that they overlap and are from different perspectives throughout.
Random
Jan 09, 2012 Random rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Enjoyed the book, but the narrator wasn't a good choice and didn't do that good of a job. Add in all of the miss pronunciations, and I'd recommend sticking with print or ebook editions if possible.
Kelly Linzey
Apr 06, 2010 Kelly Linzey rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
what I really like about this author and her stories are how many of them are parts of the story being filled in by different characters. It really rounds out the world(s) these people live in.
Elar
Dec 16, 2015 Elar rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Again little bit more theoretical book and it shows previous events from new angle. Never the less I enjoyed mathematically sound fantastic universe building .
Karin Granström
Jun 13, 2013 Karin Granström rated it really liked it
Finally I got to see how the much heralded coup was done! A book with excitement and pathos that filled in a lot of gaps in the storyweb of this saga.
Whitney
Oct 30, 2007 Whitney rated it it was amazing
Loved it! This book really ties up all the loose ends and missing pieces of the many stories in the Skolian saga.
Miche D
Aug 21, 2010 Miche D rated it really liked it
A nice easy read, that I'm pretty sure I've read before but couldn't remember the details.
Lauren Toler
May 25, 2013 Lauren Toler rated it it was amazing
Nerdy plot elements ppealed to the quantum mechanic in me. What can I say.
Manda
Jan 12, 2010 Manda rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
PEOPLE ARE WAVEFUNCTIONS

the wavefunctions do politics
Mckinley
Jul 30, 2016 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, series, novel
Another installment of the ongoing saga.
Patrick
Jun 17, 2009 Patrick rated it liked it
fun and good character development, as usual for the author
Pioden
Jul 13, 2008 Pioden marked it as to-read
Skolian Empire Bk 7
Kay Robinett
Kay Robinett rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Brian Mcgee
Brian Mcgee rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Locus
Locus marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
CRYSTAL
CRYSTAL rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
  • Command Performance
  • Miles Errant (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #4)
  • Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1)
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Plague of Memory (Stardoc, #7)
  • The Color of Distance
  • Ascending
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • Supermind
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine a
More about Catherine Asaro...

Saga of the Skolian Empire (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • Schism (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #10; The Triad, #1)
  • The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)