Afterlife (Evernight, #4)

Afterlife (Evernight #4)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  18,323 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews
Destiny awaits Bianca and Lucas . . .

Bianca and Lucas have always believed they could endure anything to be together. When a twist of fate not only transforms Bianca into a wraith but also turns Lucas into a vampire—the very creature he spent his life hunting—they are left reeling.

Haunted by his powerful need to kill, Lucas can turn to only one place for help . . . Evernig...more
Published March 8th 2011 by HarperTeen

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
Can't Wait Books For 2011
13th out of 1,237 books — 6,938 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
15th out of 1,282 books — 6,734 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Dec 31, 2011 Wendy added it
Update 2011:

Moving to the 'read' shelf, because I can't stand this on my 'to-read' shelf any longer. I will never read this. Reading other reviews confirms my initial thought that I have better things to do with my time, including but not limited to poking my eyes out, watching paint dry/grass grow, or cleaning my toilet with a toothbrush.

But, I can't delete a review with 33 likes, can I?

Update:

Giving up...I'll just pick it up when it's published.

I hate when people rate a book before they re...more
Arlene
I’m an original Evernight fan and have been since the first book came out in ‘08. As with every installment, I eagerly anticipated each book to ease the cliffy pain Claudia Gray is so great at planting. Well, I’d be less than honest if I said that this book was a slight disappointment for me and I’m bummed with how it ended. After close to three years of being vested in this series, it ends in disappointment for me. *sighs*

I guess I wanted more for Lucas and Bianca. I knew these two characters w...more
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
OMG! WTH! NOOOOOOOOO!
Did this series just ended or am I going crazy?! o_O
I am so not sure how I feel about this just yet...
I guess like:

[image error]

Ok... I am going crazy... This was like the last book of this series! I am so disappointed! Like how can Claudia Gray do this?! I was expecting alot more than just a book (which is the last book in this series) to be full of crap. Like, its Evernight... EVERNIGHT! The book I loved more than anything in my life. A book which I was freaking proud to...more
Heather (hungrycookiemonster)
Wendy Darling
I really liked the first three Evernight books, so was very much looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, this series ender didn't quite work for me.

The events of the book seem pretty scattered and when action sequences finally happened, they seemed rather rushed and were described in a distant, brief way you might tell a story to someone who wasn't there. The biggest issues, however, were that Bianca just didn't seem as likable or interesting as a wraith, and the relationship between her an...more
~Tina~
If someone told me that the Evernight series was going to be one of my all-time favorites back when I read the first book, I would have given them a funny look and ask; Did you read the WTF moment in the first book?!?
I'm so glad that I didn't give up on this series back then. I would have missed out on so much more. Gray pulls her readers through such an amazing forbidden love story and a fun filled world and despite those WTF moments, I loved every single minute of this much beloved series.

I do...more
Karyn
cLo
O M G!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST BOOK FROM THE EVRNIGHT SERIES SO FAR!!!!!
I AM SOOOOO, UGG! I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT!!!!!!
it is soooo amazing! I was always left dangling for more info! It took me 2 and a half days to finish! I finished it today. I am soooo blown away! SADLY, I CAN;T BELIEVE I HAVE TO WAIT THE WHOLE YEAR TO GET AFTERLIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone give me some spoilers that will happen in Afterlife? Anyone?!?!
N.L. Riviezzo
Very disappointing end to the series. Left a lot of unanswered questions behind. There is also a lot of contradictions that come from the aftermath of the main events.

The book started off painfully slow and the pacing do not improve much as it progressed. It was rather agonizing to read and, at the end, one is left wondering - I just struggle through all of that for what? A big fat raspberry.

My other major complaint with Afterlife is writing structure. Ms. Gray's writing structure and style seem...more
Kyleigh
Finally. The last installment of the Evernight books. Evernight was my favorite vampire novel for a very long time. The originality and the amazing plot twist had me hooked. As the books progressed however, I felt like my love for them kept shrinking. Stargazer was a huge disappointment for me, but Hourglass really made up for the second one. Hopefully by the end of this review I’ll have a concrete answer as to whether or not I liked Afterlife.

Afterlife picks up directly where Hourglass left o...more
Kristine

OMG (good) b(^_^)d
OMG (bad) w(O_o)w

I never expected the turn of events here in Afterlife, sure there are a lot of surprises and heartbreaking scenes. I learned a lot about wraiths, Bianca's powers, Lucas's struggle coping up with the vampire world, the story of Mrs.Bethany and her hidden agenda, of Christopher and a lot more but one thing is for sure I DIDN'T LIKE THE ENDING! (except they eliminated the threat). After reading the book, I was like WTH happened? I nearly cried over the ending. For...more
Petra
The story continues right where the cliffhanger in Hourglass ended. Things aren't getting any easier for Lucas and Bianca. She's a wraith and Lucas is a vampire—the very thing he would prefer to die than become. Now they both have to come to terms with their own Afterlives. Lucas need to learn how to control his bloodlust and the only place that can help him is Evernight Academy, which is the worst place for a powerful wraith like Bianca.

"Classes start in two weeks," I said. "At Evernight. You'r
Kristy
After I finished the previous book I was let down. I really didn't know what to think of Bianca being a wraith, I wasn't excited about it... So I put off reading this one for a while. It fell into my lap, so I started it.

Well, I liked it more than I had expected. The ghost thing wasn't what I imagined. It was somewhat fun. I still fill like what was so wonderful about the first 2 is missing. Bianca and Lucas just aren't as much fun to read about. I'm not sucked into the story as much. For me, b...more
Brob
Afterlife continues Bianca and Lucas’ story. Lucas has become a Vampire and Bianca is a wraith. During the story Lucas struggles with the fact that he has become a vampire and Bianca is learning to deal with what being a wraith means. In order to help Lucas get control of his bloodlust they go back to Evernight and claim sanctuary for Lucas. Mrs. Bethany accepts him and gives him sanctuary. Although, Evernight has now set traps for the wraiths, or Mrs. Bethany has set traps to be more specific....more
Lucy
The Evernight series has always set itself apart in the world of YA vampire books. From the first book on there have been many surprises in this series that have kept it interesting. Keeping the series at four books feels right for the story. I don’t feel short-changed or that the series has been dragged out for too long. The author certainly does not shy away from controversial plot twists and has kept the suspense going strong. The last book HOURGLASS was a rollercoaster ride for her character...more
Annette
Hello everyone! Thanks to NetGalley.com along with Harper Collins I was able to read AFTERLIFE, the last part of Evernight series by Claudia Gray before its realease on March 2011.

It was so heartbreaking for me when I finished reading Hourglass a few months ago. And those were the same feelings I had when I began reading Afterlife. But Claudia Gray is a very smart author, she knew how to caught you so much into the story, and when you think you're going into a dead-end (no pun intended xD) there...more
Erin
Aug 07, 2011 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Evernight fans
My thoughts on this book are not very organized, so bear with me if you can.

Based on the assortment of reviews I read in preparation, I was honestly expecting this one to blow. I've never had a particularly forgiving attitude toward these Evernight books, so I wasn't excited to get started reading. But it really wasn't that bad. I thought it was much better than the third one (which I hated).

First, because it's fun to whine, here are the things I didn't like:

1. Bianca and Lucas are both rather b...more
Steph Sinclair
What a complete disappointment. I had high hopes for Afterlife. Particularly because I really enjoyed the third book in the series, Hourglass. I am an original fan of the first book and I eagerly awaited each book's release. However, for me, Afterlife fell flat.

Afterlife picks up exactly were Hourglass left off: we are waiting for Lucas to arise as a Vampire. And right off the bat, I had a sinking feeling I wasn't going to like this book very much. Why? After Lucas rises, he immediately takes o...more
Chelsea [Vampire Book Club]
This review was originally posted at Vampire Book Club.

Before we discuss Afterlife, the final Evernight novel, it’s important to remember where Hourglass (Evernight #3) left us. Claudia Gray did what we would have never imagined and let our lead characters die. Of course, in the paranormal world dead isn’t dead. Former half-vampire Bianca is now a wraith (aka ghost) and her nee vampire hunter boyfriend Lucas has been turned into a vampire, his greatest fear.

I spent the months since finishing Hou...more
Kaysi
Kristina
Melissa
Afterlife marks the riveting conclusion to the love story that began in Evernight. Having become what they feared most, Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality: Lucas is a vampire, and Bianca is a wraith. They've overcome every obstacle life has thrown at them, but is their love strong enough to survive the challenges after life?

I was lucky to receive an ARC copy of Afterlife. I've read it in one night and thought it was okay. Not as good as the third one which I totally loved and is by f...more
Amelia
Chanelle
Vicky N.
Jan 18, 2011 Vicky N. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya

I've never been a true fan of this series, I always found them mildly pleasant, always started each book in the series thinking: "This is it, this will take my breath away."
And I must admit I'm always disappointed.

I'm not saying is a bad series, because is not, is very entertaining, it was my very first vampire series, even before I read Twilight.

I was very excited about this final installment, I waited greatness from it, maybe that's where I was mistaken, because even though it had a surprisi...more

Don't read this review if you have not read the other Evernight books.
***SPOILERS FROM PAST EVERNIGHT BOOKS***

I just finished this book and I have mixed feelings. I found the beginning a bit hard to get into. But once they returned to Evernight I found the book picked up. There is something about the school that I find very interesting. And I must say I really enjoyed having the gang back there.

When I began the book I was not sure how I felt about what happened at the end of the last book (Bianc...more
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
(Source: Purchased in paperback from Play.com.)
This is book 4 in the ‘Evernight’ series, and picks up where book 3 ‘Hourglass’ left off.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for books 1, 2, & 3 – ‘Evernight’, ‘Stargazer’, and ‘Hourglass’.**
After the events of book 3, Bianca and Lucas have both got some changes to adjust to. Bianca needs to learn how to live as a wraith, and Lucas needs to learn how to live as a vampire, and there’s only one place for him to do that – Evernight Academy.

With E...more
Rayne
I'm not really into romance, or meek leading female characters at that, but I don't know what Evernight had that pulled me in with incredible force since the start. The relationship between Lucas and Bianca was the driving force in the story and the hardships they have to go through to be together squeezed at my heart every time. The plot wasn't really deep or overly complicated, but Gray has an uncanny ability to deliver unexpected, earth-shattering twists and turns that leave you wondering how...more
JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
Rating Clarification 4.5 Stars

What an awesome book and a fantastic series. I really have enjoyed reading this series and have to admit I am a bit depressed I am finished. I often find myself feeling down once I have finished a series and it is time to say goodbye to the characters. After following a story for over a 1000 pages it is sometimes hard to detach myself from the characters I have grown to love.

Claudia Gray is brilliant and quite talented. She has weaved together a story full of an on...more
What material object(s) mean the most to you? 2 7 Oct 09, 2013 12:27AM
omg, fml. 21 52 Jul 13, 2013 05:30PM
Was it good? Give me spoilers 13 44 Jul 21, 2012 08:50PM
Kids/Teens Book Club: Evernight Academy favorite! 5 15 Dec 29, 2011 10:53PM
afterlife 10 111 Oct 11, 2011 03:23PM
vampire fans!!: Afterlife 3 4 Aug 08, 2011 04:39PM
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • Blood Ties (Blood Coven Vampire, #6)
  • Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)
  • Out for Blood (Drake Chronicles, #3)
  • Betrayal  (Immortal #2)
  • Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Night Star (The Immortals, #5)
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • Entice (Need, #3)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
1192311
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual...more
More about Claudia Gray...
Evernight (Evernight, #1) Stargazer (Evernight, #2) Hourglass (Evernight, #3) Fateful Balthazar (Evernight, #5)

“Forget normal.” He grinned. “We’re going to be extraordinary.” 80 likes
“All of my best friends are dead people. Someday I've got to figure out how that happened.” 53 likes