Start by marking “Pro Git” as Want to Read:
Pro Git

Pro Git

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,637 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
Git is the version control system developed by Linus Torvalds for Linux kernel development. It took the open source world by storm since its inception in 2005, and is used by small development shops and giants like Google, Red Hat, and IBM, and of course many open source projects.

A book by Git experts to turn you into a Git expert Introduces the world of distributed versio
Published August 1st 2009 by Apress (first published 2009)

Learn You a Haskell for Great Good! by Miran LipovačaWhy's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby by Why The Lucky StiffLearn Python The Hard Way by Zed ShawThink Python by Allen B. DowneyThe Ruby on Rails Tutorial 3rd ed. by Michael Hartl
free programming books
10th out of 21 books — 24 voters
Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanThe Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set by Donald Ervin KnuthThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt
Essential Books of Computer Science
62nd out of 152 books — 159 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert
Oct 02, 2015 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite what the title would indicate, this is targeted at beginners. It teaches you git assuming you have passing knowledge about VCSs — and does a pretty great job teaching the basics — but leaves a lot of open questions about intermediate topics, like branching strategies (and each of their benefits and drawbacks).

Update: I've bumped this from two to three stars since the book does have some good value. I've told many beginners to read the first several chapters to get a good foundation. Inte
Stefan Kanev
Aug 19, 2014 Stefan Kanev rated it really liked it
Every programmer should have read at leas on git book and this one is a good candidate.

Even if I've already did my part, I enjoy reading a git book every now and then. I usually find out a few things that I did not know or I "cement" existing knowledge. I learned a couple of new tricks.

The first few chapters explain the basics that you're probably familiar with. They do it in a very nice way (lot's of pictures and examples) and I could understand most of it without having to start my computer an
Ivan
Aug 03, 2016 Ivan rated it liked it
Cool read. 2 hours of reading / first 100 pages were just enough to make my everyday life with git an exciting experience. Some do uncover lots of internals - feel free to skim.

Some of my takeaways:
1. Every revision in git is a snapshot
2. Every revision has a parent(or multiple ones in case of merge)
3. Rebasing won't nuke your old revisions - that's just like basing whole new revision chain with the changes you made
4. Branches are just references to revisions - thus you can point this referen
Veselin Nikolov
Nov 19, 2014 Veselin Nikolov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some parts of the book were eye-opening for me. It's building a pyramid of knowledge, but it doesn't look like that until you reach the final chapter - Internals. Only after reading it I managed to connect all the dots.
Joey
Aug 07, 2009 Joey rated it liked it
A reasonably clear introduction and explanation of git. The first part does a good job at explaining things for new users, and is especially good at pointing out saner ways to do things that were added in recent versions of git. It seemed to cover most of the stuff I've learned the hard way, and I found one or two new things. The only glaring omission is it didn't seem to cover git reset at all.

The chapter on managing a project with git covered problems I'm just starting to encounter, so was app
Rosa
Sep 17, 2013 Rosa rated it it was amazing
Este libro es uno de los mejores libros técnicos que he leído últimamente. Cubre todo lo que necesitas saber desde el uso más básico al más avanzado, con muchos esquemas y ejemplos. El tipo que lo ha escrito es el que está detrás de http://git-scm.com/. Se puede leer gratis en PDF pero a mí este tipo de libros me gusta leerlos en papel. Me encanta Git y aunque ya llevaba algún tiempo usándolo antes de empezar Pro Git, leerlo me ha ayudado a entender bastantes cosas con muchísima más profundidad ...more
Brian
Sep 18, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
This book provides a good introduction to using Git. As with most educational books, the examples presented are more helpful if the reader works through them while reading the text. Because the book is freely available online as well as available in print it is in my opinion a must-read for Git newcomers.

Some reviewers complain that the book spends too much time comparing Git to other source code management (SCM) software, but I would argue that this characteristic is beneficial to readers relat
Guilherme Ferreira
A depth approach about Git, treating from the basic (merge, branch, rebase and other basic commands) until the advanced (importations from another's version control systems, internal working, server configuration, personalization and more). The author know a lot about Git, truly this book is a good choose to learn Git.
------------------------------------------------
Uma visão bem aprofundada sobre Git, tratando desde o básico (merge, branch, rebase e outros comandos básicos) até coisas avançadas
Jay Beavers
Jan 04, 2012 Jay Beavers rated it really liked it
Excellent book that not only covers the mechanics of Git but also common ways it it used (e.g. for a small development team, for a large distributed team, patches distributed over an email list, via github, etc.) I especially liked the perspectives on 'how to be a good contributor to a open source project' and 'how to be a good manager of an open source project'.

Does a very thorough job of covering the advanced aspects of the git shell commands. Does not however cover any of the GUI git tools or
Bharat
Feb 05, 2016 Bharat rated it really liked it
Git is the most popular distributed version control system. Knowing it is important for any software engineer writing solid code.

Some more references go along with this book:
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnK...
2. https://github.com/pluralsight/git-in...

If these are very advanced, it is better to read basics of version control (Hg, git, SVN etC) from http://ericsink.com/vcbe/html/index.html
Tim
Sep 24, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical_docs
Great book, excellent intro to git, then gives you just enough of the internals to understand what you're doing, and then covers advanced features followed by a deep dive into the internals.

This is a community-written book and it shows that it's been vetted many times. The examples are concise and easily understood. The book overall is very concise yet I seldom found myself wanting for better explanations of the topics and techniques.

Should be your first stop into learning git.
Vasil Kolev
May 29, 2012 Vasil Kolev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, good-tech-books
A very good book on git, describing the processes and use cases of the system. It's very interesting and different than most of the rest of the version control systems and some things are very weird to anyone who's been living with CVS/SVN for most of his/her life. Definitely worth a look.
Todd N
May 24, 2013 Todd N rated it really liked it
I probably should have read this 5-6 years ago. Oh well. Made for a lovely Friday evening.
Aaron Hall
Had some great information in there and I picked up some new knowledge. It's definitely geared more towards the beginner level of git usage, but I feel most people can learn a thing or two from this book
Richard Foley
Sep 20, 2016 Richard Foley rated it it was amazing
Great diagrams, making it easy to see how branches and workflows work. A must-have for any developer!
Caroline Gordon
Jan 27, 2012 Caroline Gordon rated it really liked it
I am now totally convinced that those people that rave about git and complain bitterly about 'traditional' version control systems are absolutely right. Git is a revolution! Not a new one but one I'm just coming to grips with.

I decided to read this whole book even though I'm just a newbie just so I had an idea of the breadth of topics and different features. I'll be sticking with basic usage but I can go back and reference the advanced topics later. I did skim read some of those topics, no need
Marshall
Mar 05, 2013 Marshall rated it really liked it
Ah! What every tech book should be! Straightforward, nuts-and-bolts explanations, making the reader productive, with enough understanding of the tool to be effective. Unlike Version Control With Git, which describes an already complex version control tool in as convoluted a manner possible, focusing on the internals and minutia that most users won't care about, Pro Git focuses on workflow.

You won't learn all the merging strategies Git employs, with graphs that look like plates of spaghetti. You
JDK1962
Dec 18, 2013 JDK1962 rated it really liked it
I was an amateur git before, but I read this, and now I think I've really upped my game. I've begun barging into queues, farting in crowded elevators, and am considering becoming an evangelist! I can't wait to read Chacon's newer books, The Complete Tosser and Jesus, What a Wanker!.

Ahem. Sorry.

This was December's book for work, part of my effort to read at least one work-related book each month during 2013 (12 for 12! Yay!). It especially came in handy since I needed to work with an R&D grou
Andy
Apr 08, 2013 Andy rated it liked it
There's a lot of good information in this book. It's fine technically, but it starts off a little wonky.

All the diagrams have arrows pointed backwards (pointing left to the older commit), which is super confusing. I'm guessing he meant that the arrow means "this commit's parent" but it's super weird his brain would ever work like that, eg against how every culture in humanity views time.

For most of the book he actually spells out the short commit hash in every diagram. Again, super confusing, an
Phil
Mar 31, 2014 Phil rated it liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
I'm not sure how to review a technical book but I'll try. At least I don't have to worry about spoilers...

This book is available for free in electronic format, but I realized (after dragging my feet for a long time) that I can't read a book like this in electronic format. I need a paper copy to flip through, so I broke down, bought a paper copy, then breezed through it.

The portion of the book that is of most value to a git end-user is actually pretty short. The diagrams are helpful to understand
Steve
Aug 22, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
I read the free version of the book available from the Git web site. As an introduction and guide to Git, this is a pretty good book. The diagram notation the author uses, while a bit complex, captures what is going on. And the chapter on Git Internals is interesting, though wisely left to the end. The spends a lot of time discussing how to use Git in the context of various workflows, which is great. The author would have done better by saying less in the initial chapter that compares Git with ...more
Watsh
Jul 20, 2014 Watsh rated it it was amazing
Very nicely explained and author has a sound understanding of the fundamentals of the Git version control system is evident from his writing. I did not need to buy the dead tree version of the book since the ebook for my kindle was available for free. It delves into the basic topics first so that if you have read the first 4 chapters, then that knowledge will be sufficient to get you to start using git on a day 2 day basis. The remaining chapters can be browsed over and read on an as needed ...more
John Lee
This is a very friendly introduction to Git that covers (I think) most of the basics very well in a very example-oriented way. The project structure diagrams are great, and the book is organized well, with clearly defined chapters. However, at times, the book feels a lot like just a list of commands one after another, which definitely is a trend for this kind of book, but Chacon doesn't really summarize the key points and commands as well as other writers. So in the end, this is a great ...more
Arun Mahendrakar
I have watched some videos about Git, but learning Git by reading this book has provided me with a lot of information. The first three chapters provide the common Git commands that you'll use daily. The images used in the chapters throughout the book help in understanding the concepts better.

The chapter on GitHub simulates a develop activities and I was able to correlate very well with my work.

There are chapters that talk about the advanced git commands and their gotchas. The last chapter talks
Samuel Chen
Sep 09, 2016 Samuel Chen rated it it was amazing
Book also available on web
Rex
Jan 30, 2014 Rex rated it it was amazing
I've recommended this book to many people who are considering git for version control.

It gives a very good introduction to git! I struggled for a long while, trying to just "figure it out", using it on and off for personal projects, and never enjoying it. I thought I had enough experience with other similar tools to do that, but continued to flounder. It's truly a different way of thinking.

After reading the book (about a year ago) I felt significantly more comfortable with the tool and was even
Katherine
Feb 23, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
I have been using both Subversion and Git over the past 7 years or so. I prefer Git but do not dismiss Subversion as irrelevant.

This is a very good introduction to Git. Yes, it is still an introduction. I've read and compiled a lot more Git tips and commands that only someone who works in a distributed team would use.

If you read this, you should also read about defensive programming and why you have to fail early and OPENLY! At first, I thought that is just insane. But there's no other sensible
Alessandro Pellizzari
Jun 13, 2011 Alessandro Pellizzari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programmazione, manuali, e
Copre l'uso di git dalle basi (clone, commit, push, pull, ecc.) agli internals, passando per la configurazione di vari tipi di server e degli hook, sia client-side che server-side, includendo anche una estesa trattazione delle best practice e di molti casi d'uso comuni sia in progetti piccoli che molto grandi. Non è molto chiaro sulle procedure di backup, e parla un po' troppo dell'uso di github trascurando di approfondire meglio la configurazione di un proprio server, ma non sono difetti ...more
Biblioworm
Dec 24, 2015 Biblioworm rated it it was ok
На мой взгляд, это просто изложение ровно того, что и так можно самому прочитать по --help.
Пока я рекомендовал бы вместо этой книгу Version Control with Git: Powerful tools and techniques for collaborative software development
by Jon Loeliger, Matthew McCullough (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)
- не идеальную, но дающую именно понимание работы с Git.

К тому же книга наполовину состоит из описания, как установить сервер Git, что в моем случае было вовсе не интересно. И, наверно, ровно так
Jesse Houwing
Nov 11, 2013 Jesse Houwing rated it liked it
Shelves: agile, work
This book is very detailed and explains exactly what Git is doing and why. It doesn't really help you define a proper structure for your git repository, it doesn't help you setup your project if you're in a team setting of equals.

This makes me think it's targeted to projects that have clear topic owners or who have a true owner. In many business projects the code is collectively owned by a team and the structure would probably reflect that in some sort.

The total lack of any discussion on User In
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Version Control with Git
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Practical Common LISP
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Learning the vi and Vim Editors
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • The RSpec Book
  • Pragmatic Guide to Git
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Xunit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »