Start by marking “The Secret Shopper's Revenge” as Want to Read:
The Secret Shopper's Revenge

The Secret Shopper's Revenge (Secret Shopper #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Imagine shopping for a living, going undercover in the lingerie department, homing in on size-zero haute couture ... and shopping the shop girls who think service is a dirty word. Welcome to the world of the Secret Shopper.
Published 2008 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Shopper's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Shopper's Revenge

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaI've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
British Chick Lit
68th out of 247 books — 202 voters
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Blue by Emily GiffinPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best chicklit
278th out of 605 books — 870 voters

More lists with this book...

Cora Linn
This was a very satisfying, easy to read chick-lit.

The story flowed very well and the characters were passionate and relatable.

Secret Shopping was a fun thing to about and I'm sure I'll now inspect and judge shops (and the staff) differently from now on.

The best part of this book was the end, even if I think it's a shame that the three women are no longer working together. It all wrapped up pretty well and I even gave a little cheer for Emily at the end.

Emily was my favourite character to read,
Annabel Krantz
I am not one of those people who looks down on chick lit as low-brow, second rate literature. I recognise that an easy read about women who face the same dramas as many of us do in everyday life can be relaxing after a hard day at the office, when picking up a 400-page book about a Russian espionage scandal seems a little too hard.

This book (and the two sequels, ​Secret Shopper Unwrapped​ and ​Secret Shopper Affair​) is a perfect example of chick lit. Kate Harrison, once a former secret shopper
Shona
Feb 03, 2009 Shona rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever been mystery shopped

Having worked in a supermarket and been subjected to mystery shoppers before I thought why not read this book and see what it would be like to be a mystery shopper.

Teh story features around three woman. Emily a new mother who joins the secret shoppers to allow her to stay in London instead of returning to the country to be the country bumpkin she ran away from. There is also Sandie. Someone who was sakced from her dream job and who had to get a job to survive, and Grazia the woman who recruits
Carrie
May 08, 2009 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chick-lit fans
I can't help judging a book by it's cover sometimes; the pretty pink and black cover of this book stood out in the library and tempted me to pick it up. It isn't any of the covers displayed here; if it had been I might never have read about Emily's, Grazia's and Sandie's tale of revenge.

I enjoyed the stories of all three women, although Emily's was my favourite, so I was glad that the novel was mainly about her story. The writing style was easy to read, enjoyable 'chick-lit' (I hate that term) a
Nicole
Enjoyed this book, and enjoyed how it was easy to get through. It was funny and interesting to read about the secret shopping, never really knew that much about it. The developing friendship between the three women was nice to read about - different women from different walks of life brought together by circumstance. Loved how umm what was her name, the girl who worked in the shop, was finally proven right. The mother's story I liked but found a bit too predictable. Would have preferred to see h ...more
Rachel Shaw
My partner bought me this book from our local charity shop as it had Shoppers in the title and he knew i read a series of books with shopping in the title (sophie Kinsella) and the covers were similar.

I really enjoyed reading this book i laughed out loud quite a lot and couldn't put the book down. I thought the books ending was predictable but it wouldn't be a chick book if not. All in all a great read that i would tell other people to give it a go.
Angela Joyce
Cute and creative, but since when is a British size 14 "chubby"? I hope this doesn't hurt any readers who might be former anorexics and just getting OK with their healthier weight... you know?
Sofie
Het duurde wat lang voor ik echt in het verhaal zat en meevoelde maar eens het zover was was het zeker de moeite!! Toch een aanrader.
Claire Hill
What a fab book lived it from the first page , it a great girly read and can't wait for the next one.
Hanna
The story is told in the alternating POVs of Emily, Sandie and Grazia. Emily's husband has just left her for another woman, but still expects to control her life from another country, and she lets him. Sandie was unfairly sacked from her job and is ridiculed by her Grandmother for working in a shop. Grazia's husband has just died and has left her with an armload of debt and hurtful secrets. So, Ms Harrison balances out the silliness of shopping with more serious problems that a lot of women can ...more
Evangeline

This caught my eye in my local charity shop as it mentions secret shopping in the title, something I am interested in as I have played the part of both the hunter and the hunted in the world of secret shopping myself.

The story was told from the viewpoints of three main characters; Grazia, Sandie and Emily. I really enjoyed Grazia and Sandie's stories and development, but didn't much like Emily. This was really unfortunate as she seemed to get more chapters than the other two, which was
Boo A-c
This is a fantastic summer read. Don't judge it by its cover or title. Its fun, snappy and excellent. Each character is well fleshed out and sympathetic and all the bad guys get it in the end it is fabulous!
For Fans of: Holiday reads, chick-lit at its finest
Whats Next: The shoestring Club, Last Chance by Sarah Dessen, Me and Mr Darcy by Alexandra Jordan
Nicola Muzsla
For the first 200-odd pages I really struggled. I didn't find the characters interesting or likeable, especially grazia. Towards the end though the story really picked up and the characters got a lot more interesting. I found I didn't want to put it down towards the end when plot started tying itself off nicely, although I did find the romance between Emily and Will a little far-fetched and rushed. My only other qualm was that there didn't seem to be a massive amount of secret shopping going on ...more
Miffy
This was great! A story of 3 very different women drawn together by their mutual love of shopping. I loved that it was a normal chick-lit, where you see everything coming, but the plot was a lot more interesting.
Danielle
This is the first secret shopper book I've read, so in a way I was coming in without background to a lot of characters, but actually it didn't matter. It was a bit like a soap opera, I soon picked up who was who and what was happening. I had such fun reading this book. It was one of those warm, friendly feel good reads that make you laugh and smile, and is just a nice easy journey.
You feel really close to all the characters by the end - I missed them when I finished the book! I rate books on my
Femke
Over dit boek had ik al behoorlijk veel gelezen, ik was dus ook echt enorm benieuwd naar dit boek.

Toen ik begon met lezen in dit boek, wist ik gelijk dat het een heerlijk boek was. Je begint met lezen en de gebeurtenissen zetten je gelijk aan het lachen. Eigenlijk heb ik tijdens het lezen van dit boek alleen maar gelachen. Het is gewoon een boek dat je meeneemt in de wereld van shoppen, wat hilarische momenten oplevert. Er komen ook een aantal stukjes in voor, waardoor je echt meeleeft met de pe
Barbra
I started off fine with this book and got into the story and then it just lost me and I totally lost interest in it.

Back Cover Blurb:
Single mum Emily wants revenge on the stick-thin assistants who laugh at her post-baby tummy and post-baby budget. Store manager Sandie has a lifelong love of retail - until she's stitched up by her ambitious deputy. And glamorous widow Grazia can't leave behind the high life, despite her chronically low bank balance.
Together they're 'Charlie's Shopping Angels', co
Rowena Marsh
Absolute fiction. The characters all come from different and crazy backgrounds but you still love them. And of course, after all that shopping, they all find love.
Heather Mooney
really liked this book, read in one sitting. a nice light easy read
Kourtney
I wanted to like this book and needed a change of pace. I thought this was a unique idea because how often do you get to hear about secret shoppers. Well, I feel like I still have not heard about secret shoppers. The characters were hard to relate to, either too whiny or rigid, etc. The storylines seemed to wrap up a bit too nicely at the end out of what felt like nowhere...I dunno...I won't be seeking out any of the sequels to this one.
Lisanne
Ik vond dit boek niet zo super leuk!
Het duurde me veelste lang voordat het verhaal echt op gang kwam.
De personages in het verhaal waren in het begin erg saai.
Pas toen ik over de helft was van het boek, gebeurden er wat leuke dingen.
Het boek had wel een happy-ending waar ik erg tevreden over ben.
Ik raad het boek aan voor wat ouderen vrouwen,
Waarschijnlijk ben ik zelf nog een beetje te jong voor dit boek.
Sephie
I don't read a lot of chick-lit but sometimes it cheers me up. Being a recovering shopaholic ;-) I thought this would help.
Focussing on three main characters with completely different 'baggage', they meet up and work together as secret shoppers. Their friendship develops into a mutual 'self-preservation' society and they manage to rectify the wrongs they have been dealt. Yaaay - a happy ending!!
Heidy
Leuk en luchtig boek om zo weg te lezen
Romina Verwichte
God how I loved this book. As a shopmanager, it all was very known to me. The things you say, think. How mysteryshoppers work. Aaaah and the story around it was Chicklit in every way. Including happy endings. If you work in retail and love a good romantic story tied up with some drama, this is a MUST read
Azra Radhwa
Didn't like it. Really had to force myself to read it to the last page. It was just too boring. The whole thing was boring. The characters, the storyline, etc. Some people may find it interesting but I don't. The second book is really going on my never-going-to-read list.

Dahlia
Started of as a promising read....went downhill after the first few chapters. The title is a bit misleading, we don't really hear much about the 'revenge', but more about the personal lives of the shoppers, which actually drags on at times and seems unnecessary.
Kirsty
I had high hopes for this book, particularly as the opening sentence summed up my life, but it went downhill from there. The story is predictable, the characters aren't all particularly likeable, and in future I'll stick to the Shopaholic series.
Sylvia
Hilarious! What a nice read! I enjoyed every minute reading this funny story about three mystery shoppers and their friendship. Excellent book for a holiday read, sitting under a parasol with a nice glass of rosé wine. Nothing difficult, just fun!
Claire
If you like shopaholic books you will love these , It is a light hearted read that will make you laugh also make you look at shops/ assistance in a different light lol.
Also how great friendships are built can't wait to read the other books
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues
  • Young Wives' Tales
  • The Last To Know
  • Forget me not
  • Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Kate was born in Wigan, and lived in more than a dozen places when she was growing up, including England, Scotland, and the Netherlands. She trained as a print journalist and then worked for the BBC as a reporter and Education Correspondent, before switching to behind the scenes producing on programmes including Newsround and Panorama. Her final 'proper' job involved coming up with TV programme id ...more
More about Kate Harrison...
Soul Beach The 5:2 Diet Book The Self-Preservation Society Soul Fire The Secret Shopper Unwrapped