Start by marking “Nostradamus Ate My Hamster” as Want to Read:
Nostradamus Ate My Hamster

Nostradamus Ate My Hamster

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  871 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Robert wants to be a star in the movies.He has invented a system with his computer that could put the old stars back on the screen, alongside him. He has the script and the money, but Hollywood isn't keen. Could the perfect partnership lie with Ernest Fudgepacker of Fudgepacker's Emporium? ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Transworld Publishers (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Nostradamus Ate My Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nostradamus Ate My Hamster

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
79th out of 2,401 books — 2,377 voters
The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Mellick IIIBeautiful Cocksucker by Barbara SheridanThe Baby Jesus Butt Plug by Carlton Mellick IIITickle His Pickle! by Sadie AllisonHow to Good-Bye Depression by Hiroyuki Nishigaki
Humorous, Strange, or Downright Shocking Titles
26th out of 252 books — 286 voters

More lists with this book...

Nathan Dehoff
Feb 10, 2015 Nathan Dehoff rated it really liked it
As entertaining as the title is, I can’t say I can really see its relevance to the story. Yes, it’s the title of the movie that’s made in the book, but it doesn’t even relate to what we know of the film’s plot. Oh, well. The hero of this tale is Russell Nice, a decent, hardworking employee of Fudgepacker’s Emporium, which rents out props for movies but hasn’t been doing so well as of late. That is, until one of the other employees takes a joyride in a Nazi flying saucer and steals a bit of futur ...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Dec 30, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it
Rankin is one of my favourite comic authors, but his work is uneven: Monty Python at best, Benny Hill at worst. This one never descends lower than Carry On, and has some really clever, yet farcical goings-on with time-travelling Nazis and whatnot. There are also some truly chilling asides which eventually tie in to the main plot. Rankin at his best, and that means lots of running gags, daft characters, wild plot twists and sly Aleister Crowley references.
Alison
Aug 24, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Even being an avid fan of Robert Rankin, I think this is probably my favourite that I have read so far.

Rankin is the self-proclaimed grandfather of far fetched fiction, and has been likened to Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett - but in my opinion, I would say Rankin writes far more far fetched, although if you enjoy the two authors mentioned you will probably enjoy Robert Rankin's work too.
The Plot is simple but surreal - Centred around Fudgepacker's Emporium, which is a movie prop warehouse and
Гергана
Oct 24, 2011 Гергана rated it did not like it
в един форум попаднах на препоръки за този автор, към фен на Тери Пратчет, който бил изчел всичко и си търсеше подобни книги. В читанката има тази и още една - и двете се опитвах да ги зачитам, но това са сигурно най-скучните, разводнени и претенциозни книги, които съм опитвала.
Твърде много ненужни описания на какво ли не, твърде много детайли..
Stephanie
Oct 21, 2007 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christopher Moore fans
Shelves: fantasy
If MC Escher wrote books, they would look like this time-traveling book by England's answer to Christopher Moore. The plot doubles back and back and back like pretzel while at the same time maintaining a hilarious repartee between the characters such as:

"QED?"
"QED. It's Latin. It means, 'So there, ya bastard.'"
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I have to say that I read this some time ago and although I remember enjoying it, I have absolutely no recollection of what the book was about...
M.G. Mason
Aug 18, 2012 M.G. Mason rated it really liked it
Again we enter into the bizarre pseudo-world known as Brentford with the master of weird fantasy-comedy, Robert Rankin.

Nostradamus Ate My Hamster, is the tale of a small film studio down on its luck that suddenly finds itself able to cast high-calibre actors. The fact that they are all dead is no obstacle to the meteoric rise of the studio and its bizarre third-rate Director. Clearly nothing is as it seems and as the plot unravels, it is typically surreal as we expect of Rankin with the jokes co
Chris Amies
Aug 02, 2014 Chris Amies rated it really liked it
*Nostradamus Ate My Hamster* is the story of a bloke working in a prop house who becomes fascinated by a story based on the original *Brentford Triangle* books, and tries to track down that parallel world that Pooley, Omally and chums seem to have inhabited. Some vestige must remain of the Flying Swan, mustn't it? Unfortunately things get a little out of hand due to Russell's fondness for the blonde barmaid in the first pub he walks into, and the things that he discovers behind that pub.
While th
Gav451
Jun 07, 2014 Gav451 rated it liked it
As with many of his books this one starts with an almost conversational tone, jokey and fun. You start by thinking that it will be an easy, straight forwards read but instead the plot quickly gets thicker and thicker so you have to think to follow it.

Considering it it not a very thick book you do end up feeling like you have been on a full journey with the story and with all its twists and turns you enjoy the ride. This is not a book full of unnecessary description, the author hits the plot runn
Ivan Stojic
Nov 29, 2014 Ivan Stojic rated it it was ok
Rankin's humor is a bit tired, but it's enjoyable if you get, for instance, trapped on a 9 hour flight with it... I'm not exactly sure I'd pick up more of his books by choice after having read threesix. I apparently read six.
Jason
Oct 19, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Robert Rankin has some mad ideas at time but i think this idea has some promise, bringing back hollywood stars of the past and making new movies with them would be pretty awesome. I would love to see this book developed into a serious book, Rankin as expected just makes this idea bonkers, it might even be workable as a tv series.

this was the first Rankin book I read that didn't feature Jim and John, i started it expecting I wouldn't like it, i thought maybe without my favourite characters i migh
Rachel
Jul 17, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok
I picked this out on a whim, looking for an audio book at the library, and this one had a funny title.

The book starts out pretty weird - actually the whole thing is weird but you eventually get drawn into it. I wasn't expecting it to turn sci-fi a few chapters in, and it was probably the author's entertaining reading that kept me interested rather than the story itself. Nonetheless, it contains some well-written, comical characters and plenty of plot twists you won't expect. Rankin's writing is
Willoughby
Oct 05, 2015 Willoughby rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Far Fetched Fiction.
Tina Pearson
Jan 26, 2014 Tina Pearson rated it it was ok
just couldn't get it or finish it....
Robert
Feb 08, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing
This author was reccomended by a good friend of mine. I still haven't got around to reading the book i borrowed from him but i discovered some audiobooks and this is the first one i have listened to. Starts off weird and i was a little discouraged, but this turns out to be a rather compelling novel and nicely all comes together at the end. Also very humourous.
Patrick Ploch
Dec 19, 2014 Patrick Ploch rated it really liked it
I listened to this as a book on cd and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a quite funny sci-fi comedy. My favorite part may have been when a character saw UFO but having seen it had identified it. Thus, it was not unidentified. But, as it looked like an alien spaceship, it was indeed a UFO.
Jason
Jul 15, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing
What a book, having never read any of Robert Rankins books i didn't know what to expect, but time travelling Nazis, alien invasions, classic cinema and the fine art of local pub culture, this was a pleasant surprise and i loved it. Makes Dr Who seem like kids play. Genius
Tim Schneider
Apr 07, 2013 Tim Schneider rated it really liked it
Pooley and O'Malley have become the stuff of legends. And the search for the mythical Flying Swan leads to Nazi time travelers and world changing movies.

Rankin doesn't quite hit it out of the park with this one but it's one Westminster chime from being among his best.
Mark Inder
Oct 28, 2013 Mark Inder rated it liked it
As much as I do like Robert Rankin, didn't think this was his strongest book. I did really like the overall storyline, especially the added element of alien assisted World War 2 time travel. I thought some of the characters were a bit week or flat in places.
Lisa Lumdeedums
Jun 21, 2012 Lisa Lumdeedums rated it it was amazing

Oh Robert you are fabulous.
So funny and so completely mental.
Who else would bring back Hitler and give it such an awesome name?!!
This was a great book. Clever, witty, completely off the wall and the start of a brilliant collection of stories.
Pete
Mar 03, 2012 Pete rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was the first Rankin novel I ever read, and the one that made me a fan. For most of it, it's an amiable if edgy comedy...and then it takes a turn and becomes genuinely frightening. Though still funny. Check it out.
Daníel Freyr Jónsson
Nov 07, 2013 Daníel Freyr Jónsson rated it really liked it
After having read some of Rankin's weaker stories this was a welcome return to him in his finest form. Full of wacky happenings and fantastic plot devices. I mean how can you go wrong with time travelling Nazis?
S Shah
Apr 30, 2015 S Shah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, I cried, I adapted it into a dithyrambic musical, and home video. Satyrical, yet well-informed, occult thriller.
Dan
one of my favorite Rankin books! Time traveling Nazis and a magic movie camera that can change the fate of history.
Dirk
May 31, 2012 Dirk rated it liked it
bizarre story, nevertheless entertaining, sometimes it was difficult to lay the book aside
Penny
May 12, 2013 Penny rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
Started off well and got a little confused towards the end. Not my favourite book of this authours
Denise
Dec 03, 2011 Denise rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
I think this book can be summed up in three words: whiskey tango foxtrot.
Barb Boolish
Jun 14, 2012 Barb Boolish rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Full of hi
larity and time traveling shenanigans!
Beth
Jun 20, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
Fantastical and funny. One of my favorite Robert Rankin books.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
Nostradamus Ate My Hamster by Robert Rankin (1997)
  • Nothing But Blue Skies
  • The Best of Ray Bradbury
  • Colony
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall
More about Robert Rankin...