Start by marking “Finish Your Dissertation Once and for All!: How to Overcome Psychological Barriers, Get Results, and Move on with Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Combining psychological support with a project management approach that breaks tasks into small, manageable chunks, experienced dissertation coach Alison Miller shows you how to overcome negativity and succeed in completing your dissertation beyond your own expectations.
Published January 1st 2009 by American Psychological Association (APA) (first published December 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Finish Your Dissertation Once and for All!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finish Your Dissertation Once and for All!

Tom Uytterhoeven
Does this book give you practical advice on writing a dissertation? To some extent it does. There are some exercises, some lists, some hints and tips on how to do things. I would advise reading chapters 2-5 (overcoming negative feelings and procrastination, structuring your work, planning your work), but chapters 1 (general intro) and 6-8 (on working with your supervisor, handling feedback, taking care of yourself) are in my opinion rather common sense. That makes about half the book being a bit ...more
Theryn Fleming
One-sentence synopsis: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, I'm going to finish this dissertation!" Yes, all I kept thinking about whilst skimming this were Stuart Smalley's daily affirmations. From the title I was hoping for something directed at people who are already in the midst of working on their dissertations—more concrete ideas about speeding up the process. Essentially I'm already doing everything suggested in this book. So while it was an affirmation (ha) that I'm on the ...more
Vincent Russo
Pretty good, I initially thought this book was going to be filled with vagaries and non-concrete elements of advice, but was pleasantly surprised. This book (like most of the others I've found) are geared toward students that are not in a STEM field, although much of the soft-advice still applies.
Emily
Turns out I AM just like every one else. A useful book.
Melissa Norrbom
This book really helped me identify the negative behaviors, thoughts and feelings I was having towards starting to write. Even though I'm a psychologist, I was ironically having difficulty with the psychology of writing my dissertation! I was using all kinds of excuses but this book helped uncover the deeper fears and move past them. I'm only a couple weeks into my timeline and action plan but for once I'm moving forward with clear small manageable tasks that have me seeing the light at the end ...more
Lyndon
Part therapy, part 'thesis advisor', Miller's book is the right medicine for those "struggling with struggling" when it comes to a dissertation, and those who need someone to say 'here's a plan, now get on with it.' The right book for me.
Georgina
Really useful, but not the most useful one... It was the book that ultimately made me dive in on my dissertation. I don't know where would I be without it.
Leah
Jan 03, 2011 Leah marked it as to-read
I'm praying to all known deities, friggin paramecium and aliens (just in case; ya never know) that this works!!!
Elizabeth Anne
Elizabeth Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Kimberly Read
Kimberly Read is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
William Lopez
William Lopez is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Lorry Perez
Lorry Perez marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Anamaria
Anamaria is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Jenny
Jenny is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
Alexander Gurkov
Alexander Gurkov marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Aug 09, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Patricia Verdugo
Patricia Verdugo marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Finish Your Dissertation Once and for All! How to Overcome Psychological Barriers, Get Results, and Move on With Your Life