Start by marking “A Feeling for Books: The Book-Of-The-Month Club, Literary Taste, and Middle-Class Desire” as Want to Read:

Deftly melding ethnography, cultural history, literary criticism, and autobiographical reflection, A Feeling for Books is at once an engaging study of the Book-of-the-Month Club's influential role as a cultural institution and a profoundly personal meditation about the experience of reading. Janice Radway traces the history of the famous mail-order book club from its contr ...more
Published August 30th 1999 by University of North Carolina Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Feeling for Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Feeling for Books

Sonja
Jul 26, 2008 Sonja rated it really liked it
This is all about how middlebrow literature is more absorbing and, in a sense, meaningful than the so-called high brow texts. Anyone who likes to read should check this out -- it's interesting to think about something as abstract and subjective as "literary taste" and the whole idea of allowing an institution to choose for you what books you should read. The implications of this are enormous!

I got a lot out of this but I thought it was going to be more about how people "believe" what they read,
mali
An excellent combination of anthropology, personal experience, and book history. I aspire to being able to write such a masterful book about my own work in the history of authorship and literary marketplaces.
Judine
Jul 17, 2008 Judine rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Again, Radway is able to write theory in a way that makes sense. However, I would have liked to see her connect more to the middle section of the book like she does in parts one and three. The first person style makes for easier reading.
Kelly Frost
Radway's personal tone and first person account really hooked me at first. I was looking to read her works on audience but decided to read this "just for the fun of it." However after the first chapter I stopped really caring about the book of the month club and academia in general--other things just seem much more important.

I'm sure she has good things to say and I like her honesty about being both author and subject in this book. Maybe I'll come back to it someday, but I doubt it.
James Denison
Mar 08, 2016 James Denison rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a book. Radway explicates taste within the context of the culture industry without demeaning its consumers - a rare feat. A sterling example of how to write about mass culture intelligently but without arrogance.
David
Jan 18, 2009 David rated it did not like it
This had a whole lot of essays that said a whole lot of nothing for pages and pages. Apparently, no one ever told these writers about getting to the point.
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Curt Jarrell
Curt Jarrell rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Larry Owens
Larry Owens rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2016
Ellen Garvey
Ellen Garvey rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2009
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2010
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2009
Kelly Budruweit
Kelly Budruweit rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
Rebecca Barry
Rebecca Barry rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2013
Justine Klieback
Justine Klieback rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Paul Putz
Paul Putz rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Sarah Hunter
Sarah Hunter rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Jerry
Jerry rated it it was ok
May 28, 2013
Y
Y rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2008
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
M
M rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Dovofthegalilee
Dovofthegalilee rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2014
Carrie Andersen
Carrie Andersen rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Clayton
Clayton rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2009
Hadrian
Hadrian rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2010
  • Middletown: A Study in Modern American Culture
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • The Bourgeois: Between History and Literature
  • The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages
  • Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
  • Domination and the Arts of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts
  • The Book in the Renaissance
  • The End of Racism: Finding Values in an Age of Technoaffluence
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance
  • The Sense of an Ending: Studies in the Theory of Fiction
  • Right from the Beginning
  • Silent Interviews: On Language, Race, Sex, Science Fiction, and Some Comics--A Collection of Written Interviews