Start by marking “If Only It Were True” as Want to Read:
If Only It Were True

If Only It Were True (Et si c'était vrai #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  11,083 Ratings  ·  735 Reviews
What do you do when you find a stranger in your closet; particularly when she's surprised that you can even see her -- and she can disappear and reappear at whim? What if she then tells you that her body is actually in a coma on the other side of town? Should you have her see a psychiatrist or should you consult one yourself? Or do you take a chance and believe in her, and ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about If Only It Were True, please sign up.

Twila I saw the American movie and wondered if a version had been made in France also -- and if it were any better. Over the years we've compared American…moreI saw the American movie and wondered if a version had been made in France also -- and if it were any better. Over the years we've compared American and original, foreign language versions of the same story (Le Cage aux Folles, Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe, for example) and found that we particularly prefer the French versions.
Interestingly, one of the reviews for this book says that as a book it's not much, but that it would be a better movie.
I didn't mind the Spielberg version -- taking it for what it was, a silly rom-com.(less)

Annie
Nov 05, 2008 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so delighted when I discovered the movie was inspired by a book! I really thought the film was so sweet, such a feel-good kind of chick flick. The book however, is a whole lot better.

This is the kind of story that makes you believe in magic. It makes you believe that two people can be fated to love one another and that that love is capable of creating the most unexplainable of miracles. It's books like this that strangely feature no religion but yet make me feel closer to God, to the unive
Panthère Rousse
Jul 25, 2011 Panthère Rousse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Un roman très très léger. Et tout à fait invraisemblable. Non, ce n'est pas l'histoire de la femme dans le coma dont l'esprit se matérialise ailleurs qui me dérange, mais tout le reste. Les dialogues, par exemple, notamment un enfant de 10 ans qui ne parle absolument pas comme un enfant, même un enfant précoce. Et plein de situations auxquelles on ne croit pas, entre autres un grand hôpital américain où l'on entre comme dans un moulin. En commençant le livre, j'ai eu plusieurs moments où (déform ...more
Abbey
Apr 07, 2012 Abbey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Have you all seen the super cute Reese Witherspoon movie Just Like Heaven? It was one of my faaaaavorites in high school--a fun, quirky, sweet chick flick. Turns out it was based on a book called If Only It Were True.

So when I was looking for an audiobook for my trip home for Easter and I found the book version of Just Like Heaven, I was excited. I also got The Kite Runner, but decided to listen to Just Like Heaven (which I later discovered was originally called "If Only It Were True") first bec
Yosra Abdelkader
يااااا تنجم تراني يااااا جووووو
انا في غيبوبة هيا ايجا راني في السبيطار عقاب الليل
-_-
حليلي يا ربي
الكتاب مننكرش فيه فازات يضحكو اما الفيلم خير برشا تو نفهمكم قصدي في فيديو نعملو على قريب ان شاء الله
Rebecca McNutt
Et si c'était vrai is the story of a man haunted by a troublesome ghost, possibly a mental illness of his... until she turns out to be closer to him than he realizes, and when he discovers that there's still some hope to restoring her life, he does everything in his power to help her. Despite being kind of preachy, for the most part this novel was incredible.
Kate
Feb 22, 2013 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was preachy and sentimental. And I am someone who usually enjoys sentimental, romantic books. The basic premise of the story was interesting enough - the spirit of a girl in a coma can only be seen by one special guy. However, the author delves into all kinds of background information that was completely unrelated to the plot - such as excessive information about the guy's dead mom and her lover. I kept thinking, WHY is this extra stuff in here? The book needed some serious editing. An ...more
Jenne
May 11, 2007 Jenne rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
I picked this up (while weeding books at my library) because that movie with Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo, where she's in a coma and he falls in love with her ghost, was based on it.
I didn't like the movie that much, but I thought maybe the book would be good, I'm not sure why.
Anyway, it wasn't.
Leo C.
Diría que 4.5 estrellas. Me ha encantado la historia. Mejor desarrollada que en la adaptación cinematográfica. Una lectura ligera, entretenida y con dosis de romanticismo. Últimamente no me enganchada ningún libro y algo así es lo que necesitaba para volver a arrancar. Leeré la segunda parte en breve.
Skaistė
Nuostabi istorija. Ne tik apie meilę. Apie gyvenimą, mirtį, gyvybės trapumą, gyvenimo pamokas, atradimus ir praradimus. Sunku palyginti su filmu, nes tai vienas iš tų atvejų, kuomet filmą mačiau pirmą. Filmas turėjo savo žavesio, o knyga savo. Atradau joje keletą minčių perlų, kuriuos išsaugosiu ateičiai. O ir šiaip puikus būdas praleisti laiką ją skaitant.
Jadine
Jan 29, 2009 Jadine rated it did not like it
I wanted to love this book because it is what the movie Just Like Heaven was based on. I figured the characters would be more fleshed out and you would learn more about Mark Ruffalo's character, but the whole back story was different and not nearly as engaging. Rent the movie; it was worth watching more than once and the book wasn't worth finishing even once.
Dalyia
Jun 24, 2012 Dalyia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية رومانسية خيالية رائعة للغاية .. تستحق القراءة :)
إيمان مصعبين

Mona
Mar 26, 2017 Mona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: físico
3.5-3.75
Debo admitir que las historias de Marc Levy siempre han tenido algo, algo que me gusta mucho. Son realistas pero tienen puntos especiales con los que se apartan un poco de la realidad. Además están llenas de naturalidad y ternura. Todo esto con personajes que caen bien, que son chistosos, que son idealistas.
A este libro le pongo dos pegas. Hubo un par de capítulos que me sobraron. Sin ellos me hubiese gustado igual la historia o más. Y la otra es que quizás con tanta ternura Levy a vece
Ahmad Sharabiani
May 13, 2012 Ahmad Sharabiani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance

این کتاب مارک لوی، با دو عنوان «کاش حقیقت داشت» با ترجمه مژگان محمودی، 260 صفحه، توسط نشر: البرز فر دانش (1388)، و شابک: 9786005545241 در قطع رقعی و وزن 650 گرم و دیگری با عنوان: «و اگر حقیقت داشت ...» با ترجمه الهام دارچینیان، 304 صفحه، توسط نشر: علم (26 اردیبهشت، 1385)، منتشر شده است. قسمتی از کتاب: «تصورکن برنده یک مسابقه شدی و جایزه ات اینه که بانک هر روز صبح، یک حساب برات باز میکنه و توش هشتادوششهزاروچهارصد دلار پول میگذاره، ولی دوتا شرط داره. یکی این که همه پول را باید تا شب خرج کنی، وگرنه
Hoda Marmar
J'ai lu ce livre il y a longtemps! Je crois que l'ai emprunté d'un ami ou de la bibliothèque. Je n'en souviens plus. Y'a un autre de Marc Lévy que j'ai lu durant la même époque mais j'oublie lequel.
Marie
Feb 06, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marie by: Sica
Ah Marc Levy. Je ne me suis jamais vraiment intéressée à ses livres, bien que ma mère les possède tous. Mais ça c'était avant.

Je vous propose donc ma petite critique de ce livre qui est quasiment aussi longue que ce dernier haha. Je l'ai organisé en plusieurs parties, je raconte pas mal ma vie au début, donc ne vous sentez pas obligé de tout lire, s'il n'y a que ma revue qui vous intéresse allez directement à cette partie là (j'ai titré mes parties pour vous faciliter la vie :))

[il y a plus d'un
Thi Nguyen
Sep 03, 2016 Thi Nguyen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nhưng điêu tôi săp noi vơi ban thât kho tin, kho châp nhân, nhưng nêu ban chiu lăng nghe câu chuyên cua tôi, nêu ban co thiên y cho răng anh noi thât thi co thê la cuôi cung ban se tin đây, va ban co tin hay không la môt viêc rât quan trong vi ban la ngươi duy nhât ma tôi co thê chia se bi mât nay, măc du ban không hê hay biêt.
Kiêp trươc tôi vôn la chang ky sư Arthur, tôi đươc sinh ra ơ môt ngôi nha xinh đep canh bơ biên. Bô tôi rơi đi luc tôi mơi năm tuôi, tôi sông cung ngươi me Lili đang mên
Andrea
Levy,

Okey, respiramos y aquí vamos.

Me sorprendió mucho cuando encontré este libro pues hace poco vi la película y me bustó bastante, es súper tierna, graciosa y bastante similar al libro (bastante más que muchas adaptaciones que encontramos por allí). Así que pueden imaginar que esa sorpresa pasó a convertirse en un entusiasmo inmenso por leer el libro de inmediato.

Esta es la segunda obra de Levy que leo y aunque no me gustó tanto como "Las Cosas Que No Nos Dijimos", no por eso me pareció menos
Alaine
Nov 22, 2008 Alaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is a wonderful story about how we should value every moment of life we are given and what a gift it is. I really loved this book, it is the most beautiful story! If only our lives weren't so busy that we forget the basic concepts of life. To make the most of every moment.

This is the story of Arthur and Lauren and how two people came together. Lauren is a coma patient whose soul is free from her body, Arthur lives in what was her apartment. They meet and when Lauren convinced him that he was
Amal Bedhyefi
Jan 28, 2017 Amal Bedhyefi rated it liked it
I started reading this book yesterday without knowing anything about the story and guess what ? It turned out that I have already seen the movie based on it : Just like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon .
& I didn't know what to dobecause I always hated reading books after seeing the movie ! But i loved that movie so much that i wanted to see the differences and i wanted to read the story all over again , The book however, is a whole lot better than the movie , trust me .
It's light , funny , rom
Emily
Nov 03, 2009 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-college
Lame. Totally, completely, utterly lame. Deeply painful to read. The prose is lazy and the characters typical and pretty unbelievable. And way too corny, with basic carpe diem teenage philosophy. Oh my god, it was just so bad I can't believe it's finished to my relief.
Cuoricina
Sep 18, 2015 Cuoricina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Questo libro non ha bisogno di grandi commenti. E' un autentico capolavoro che si legge piacevolmente, coinvolge e stravolge.
Tessa
Jun 13, 2014 Tessa rated it it was ok
If only it were true that this story had anything to do with real life. The only thing I did like about this book was that it tells us to cherish every second of our life. That's true, cherish it, it's not an unlimited resource. The seconds I've spend reading this book were not cherished.

80% of this book was a boring story about a man falling in love with a ghost. The idea was ok, but it read like a movie script, nothing lyrical or profound about the writing. It's probably because I've read to
Javi
Apr 03, 2012 Javi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leí este libro después de haber visto la película; he disfrutado mucho ambos formatos y me han gustado por igual, aunque no es un género al que acostumbre a darle una oportunidad, sabiendo de qué iba fue más fácil; supuse que iba a gustarme el libro y no me decepcionó.

Básicamente la trama es la misma que en la película; aunque hay pequeños matices que varían, han sido bastante fieles al libro, así que si ya has visto la película poca cosa nueva encontrarás aquí. Salvo que la película te haya gus
Fatima Ezzahra
"..Depuis son accident elle comprenait chaque jour combien bien peu de gens réalisaient comment le temps se compte et s'apprécie. Elle lui expliqua les conclusions de son histoire : « Tu veux comprendre ce qu'est une année de vie : pose la question à un étudiant qui vient de rater son examen de fin d'année. Un mois de vie : parles-en à une mère qui vient de mettre au monde un enfant prématuré et qui attend qu'il sorte de sa couveuse pour serrer son bébé dans ses bras, sain et sauf. Une semaine : ...more
Brina
Jul 29, 2011 Brina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Als die junge Ärztin Lauren am frühen morgen zu Freunden fahren will, verunglückt sie mit ihrem Auto und fällt ins Koma.
Als sie nach 6 Monaten immer noch nicht aufwacht, vermieten ihre Eltern Laurens Wohnung an den Architekten Arthur.
Eins Tages hört Arthur eine Frauenstimme in seinem Badezimmer und macht eine unglaubliche Entdeckung: Laurens Geist sitzt in seinem Badezimmerschrank. Arthur ist der Einzige, der sie sehen kann und so wird nach einigem Bedenken aus den Beiden bald eine Einheit, um d
Irene
Jul 26, 2012 Irene rated it it was amazing
Reseña: Este libro, se lleva la palma (expresión que se suele decir por aquí)
Sinceramente, al principio aunque tenía la impresión de que me iba a gustar, nunca pude imaginar que fuera tanto. Me ENCANTÓ. El protagonista, con una personalidad muy definida y que hace que te lo puedas imaginar perfectamente, se va enamorando poco a poco de Lauren, al igual que ella de él. Hay intriga, amor, drama...todo aquello que le hace ser prácticamente perfecto like Mary Poppins. En este libro, no parece que el
Ape
Mar 16, 2011 Ape rated it did not like it
2006 bookcrossing review:

A friend recommended this writer to me, so when I found this book in a charity shop, I grabbed it off the shelf.

It is terrible. Really terrible. The characters are two dimensional, the writing is bland, the plot very thin and very predictable - growing far too overly sentimental and it is just cliche after cliche after cliche. I always try to give books a fair go, and I did read this all the way through, but after a point I have to admit that I switched to skim reading.
Asma
Feb 20, 2015 Asma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Nothing special about this book. The story was dull, the conversations were mostly one-sided and not engaging, and the characters weren't realistic. Maybe that wouldn't have been a big deal if I hadn't just finished with a really live novel where characters were impersonalized.

My favorite part of the book was Arthur's mom's explanation of death:
"When you've had a really good day, when you've risen early in the morning, to go fishing and you've been running around and working in the rose garden,
Mariana Maiz
Dec 30, 2015 Mariana Maiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This was a very good book, even if I think sometimes it got really deep really fast. It's almost poetic, really, but it happens so suddenly that I felt a bit lost at times.
The story was interesting and unique and Arthur and Lauren are interesting characters, even if I think Lauren's story could have been explored better. Paul, the friend, is also someone that I wanted to get to know, because after doing everything he does for Arthur, I need to know that man better.
And I've just found out that
  • Home Alone
  • Je reviens te chercher
  • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  • أم العروسة
  • L'évangile selon Pilate
  • The Wedding Planner
  • Prison Break: The Classified FBI Files
  • Complètement cramé!
  • Les pieds sur terre (Le journal d'Aurélie Laflamme, #8)
  • Notting Hill
  • Wolfsaga
  • La Controverse de Valladolid
  • The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide
Marc Levy was born in France on October 16th, 1961.When he turned eighteen, he joined the Red Cross, where he spent the next six years. In parallel, he studied management and computer programming at Paris-Dauphine University. In 1983, he created a computer graphics company based in France and the United States.

Six years later, he lost majority control of the group and resigned. Starting again from
More about Marc Levy...

Et si c'était vrai (2 books)
  • Finding You

“Imagine there is a bank account that credits your account each morning with $86,400. It carries over no balance from day to day. Every evening the bank deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to used during the day. What would you do? Draw out every cent, of course? Each of us has such a bank, it's name is time. Every morning, it credits you 86,400 seconds. Every night it writes off at a lost, whatever of this you failed to invest to a good purpose. It carries over no balance. It allows no over draft. Each day it opens a new account for you. Each night it burns the remains of the day. If you fail to use the day's deposits, the loss is yours. There is no drawing against "tomorrow". You must live in the present on today's deposits. Invest it so as to get from it the utmost in health, happiness, and health. The clock is running. Make the most of today.” 122 likes
“My mother died yesterday, yesterday many years ago. You know, what amazed me the most the next day after her leaving was the fact that the buildings were still in place, the streets were still full of cars running, full of people who were walking, seemingly ignoring that my whole world has just disappeared."
(rough translation)”