Start by marking “The Corinthian” as Want to Read:
The Corinthian

The Corinthian

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,946 Ratings  ·  426 Reviews
Penelope Creed will do anything to avoid marrying her repulsive cousin. Dressed in boy's clothing, she's fleeing from London when she's discovered by Sir Richard Wyndham, himself on the verge of the most momentous decision of his life.

When Sir Richard encounters the lovely young fugitive, he knows he can't allow her to travel to the countryside all alone, so he offers hims
Published November 23rd 2004 by Arrow (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Corinthian, please sign up.

Louise Culmer No. But as he doesn't seem to care for much, it is a bit hard to understand why he's been hanging around her so much.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Sigh. I've done it again.

I've overdosed on Georgette Heyer Regencies, and now I can't tell if I'm bored because this is mediocre Heyer or because I've reached saturation point on her books. The banter is witty, the hero capable and charming, the heroine brave and feisty, and I was pretty much unmoved by it all.

It's a cute and humorous plot: Sir Richard Wyndham is just about to enter into an engagement with the cold woman everyone expects him to marry, and has gotten very drunk to drown his unhap
Ruth Turner
Sep 14, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: georgette-heyer

Georgette Heyer is my go-to author when I want something well written, light hearted and witty to read. She never disappoints.

The Corinthian is one of my favourites. I liked Sir Richard immensely, and Pen was funny and charming and had me laughing out loud at times.

There were many interesting secondary characters that appealed to me as well. I didn't find the "thieves cant" a problem as some other readers did. I think the story was better for including it.

A quick and enjoyable read.
⊱ Irena ⊰
Aug 18, 2016 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it really liked it
4.5

In case you need something light, wonderful, witty and well written, then look no further. I really liked The Corinthian.

Unlike some of Heyer's other stories where you have to wait until everyone and their mother is introduced (and their situation), there aren't any delays here.
The introduction to Sir Richard and his family's wishes is done in a couple of pages. You even get to meet the woman everyone (except him, his brother-in-law and the woman's brother) expects to marry. The story doesn'
Tweety
Mar 20, 2015 Tweety rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heyer fans
Recommended to Tweety by: Several of my GR friends
3 1/2

I don't know what to think. The characters are top notch as usual with Heyer and the humor is as amusing as ever. But the plot! I don't know which part was more unbelievable. Penelope running away in men's clothing, the adventures by stagecoach or the elopement of one very silly secondary couple.

I cringe to say this about my beloved Heyer. But I've got to say it. Of all her books that I have read, however far fetched they maybe, she makes it work. But this one takes the cake. And I don't
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and B+ for content at AAR, so probably nearer 5 stars than 4.

One of the best things about listening to new audio versions of older books is becoming reacquainted with stories I read many more years ago than I care to count! Georgette Heyer’s The Corinthian is not a title I’ve re-read over the years, so coming back to it in audio was almost like experiencing a new book. And a terrific experience it was!

The story is one with which any regular Regency reader is p
Lynn Spencer
4.5 stars Oh, that was so much fun!

I don't usually go for "chick in pants" romances, but this one was exceptionally well done. The fashionable Sir Richard Wyndham is desperately seeking a way out of offering marriage to the icy Melissa Brandon. Not only does she fail to appeal to him(his family has wanted the two to marry for years), but her feckless family seems to be tumbling into financial ruin.

Penelope Creed is trying to escape as well. While Richard's family has been trying to browbeat him
Anne
Curiously, I did not enjoy this novel as much as I had expected to. I really really liked it, but I didn't get the same kind of satisfactory and awesome feeling I got after reading "The Black Moth" and "Powder and Patch" by the same author. The story, although good, seemed too unbelievable, which made the characters appear awkward as a whole, though I loved them individually. Sir Richard was a perfect, Heyer-typical hero and I thought the character of Penelope to be vastly entertaining. She was ...more
Inspired Kathy
Apr 07, 2016 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
As far as the romance goes this is not my favorite. I loved the characters and thought they were a good match but it wasn't really a romantic story. Much more of an adventure filled with lots of laughs. So much fun. Tons of bantering, lots of wit and humor.

Content: Clean other than mild language typically of Heyer's books (Good God!, etc.)
Source: Kindle Unlimited
4 Stars - Great Book!!
Hannah
Jun 30, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: regencys
Second Heyer I read, and much better then Faro's Daughter IMO. Pen was a very delightful heroine, and I felt Heyer did a much better job developing the budding romance between Pen and Richard then she did with the main characters in Faro's Daughter.

The plot was engaging and well maintained throughout the book, full of the types of adventures you'd expect to find in a regency (i.e. struggles against marriages of convenience, a bored yet lonely dandy, a girl disguised as a boy). I did have a bit o
Olga Godim
Sep 15, 2012 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer
This book is a treasure trove of laughter. It should be used in laugh therapy.
Sir Richard Wyndham is a twenty-nine-year-old Corinthian – wealthy, sophisticated, handsome, and supremely bored with his untroubled, aristocratic existence. He boxes like a champion, drives his horses like an Apollo, and dresses to the nines.
He has only one gripe: his mother and sister keep accosting him to get married. He doesn’t wish to, so he drowns his gloom in brandy. Later, after getting ultimately drunk, he w
Kelly
One of my favorite Heyers. It involves the urbane, cultured hero-young, unconventional heroine combination, and its done very well here. Penelope Creed literally falls into Richard Wyndham's life late one night, determined to run away from an oppressive marriage to a creepy cousin to find shelter with an old friend of hers. Richard decides to run away with her, as there is a marriage of his own he would like to escape. Hijinx in the form of cross-dressing, escaped criminals, mistaken identity an ...more
Andrea
The blurb, focusing as it does on the innocence of Penn, tends to put me off this book, but the story itself is a great deal of fun. Penn is a little naive, but she's also the sort of girl who reacts to being in a stage coach accident with delight at the adventure.

By putting on a boy's clothes, Penn gets to participate in the adventures as well, and greets almost every circumstance with unimpaired good spirits. I particularly enjoy her opinion of her former swain and his new inamorata.
Amy
Maybe in my top 7 Best Heyer Novels. I love the combination of humor, romance, and mystery. Pen isn't always my favorite, but Sir Richard Wyndham is terrific. Truly, a must read for Heyer lovers. This is one I love, own, love that I own, and re-read frequently.
Michaela
Have I mentioned that I love Georgette Heyer? Her books are just absolutely sweet, darling things. I loved this one, and I loved the ending of this book. Absolutely sweet. I just loved it.
Angela
Feb 04, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, regency
Though I wasn't initially engaged with the rather drawn-out and verbose beginning, I quickly found myself hooked into one of Heyer's most madcap adventures of those I have read (on par, or even more outrageous than The Grand Sophy). Despite the convoluted plot and rather tenuous role of chance threading its way through the novel, I enjoyed myself immensely.

The two main characters are wonderfully written, with more believable motives and character arcs than the otherwise fantastic story would see
Linda
So, ignoring the uncomfortable age gap, this was actually just fun to read and Pen is extremely adorable. I like Heyer's romances because it never really feels like the heroine is less than the hero or has to "prove her worth" before he bestows his love on her and grovels, which is a trend I realllllyyy hate in more contemporary works. This one is probably a little more farcical than usual seeing as they conveniently ran into every member of a jewel thief ring while wandering the English country ...more
Carrie
TBR Challenge 2011- This has been on my TBR list for several years. I was able to find it on audio narrated by the great Eve Matheson.

The Corinthian reminds me of Cotillion in tone (not in plot). It's a delightful book, especially in audio. Eve Matheson does a wonderful job with all the characters. I made time to iron, fold clothes, and even clean bathrooms over the past few days in order to get extra time to finish listening to this audiobook.
Christopher
May 23, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it
A decent read, although I have no real desire to reread it in the future. I don’t think I realized just many tropes of the Regency genre – both good and bad – were lifted directly from Heyer’s works. This book opens, for example, with the hero feeling somewhat honor bound to marry a woman he does not wish to marry. I found this line of reasoning annoying, especially after recently rereading The Talisman Ring – it has a very similar opening. Thankfully, Heyer only drags this out for a couple of c ...more
Larissa
Following a rather grueling month of translating projects at school and facing a very long journey from Iceland to Maine, I decided it was obviously time for a 'fun read' and was persuaded, by thisvery enjoyable and informative post about Georgette Heyer's inadvertent creation of the Regency Romance genre, to pick up The Corinthian.

As with many of Heyer's books, this one presents a number of variations on themes and characters that she would pick up again and again throughout her career (althou
Wealhtheow
May 12, 2008 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, regency
Both Richard Wyndham and Penelope Creed are pressured by their relatives to find a spouse, and a chance meeting out of a window leads them to run away together. Through adventures with Bow Street Runners and stolen diamonds, the two fall in love. This is classic Heyer, complete with urbane, sarcastic hero and sprightly, empathic heroine.
Jamie Collins
This has a fun opening scene, but it's not one of the better Heyers. It's neither a touching romance nor a satisfying madcap adventure. There is some improbably successful cross-dressing, and the age difference between the hero and heroine is a little extreme. I prefer Heyer's older heroines.
Pauline Ross
Jan 09, 2016 Pauline Ross rated it it was amazing
After the history-fest of An Infamous Army, written in 1937, which I couldn’t even attempt, this one couldn’t be more different. It’s the most frivolous, silly, light-hearted confection imaginable, but then it was written in 1940, so perhaps frivolity was what was most needed.

The plot begins with Sir Richard Wyndham, the Corinthian (dandy) of the title, accepting that at the age of twenty nine, he must make a loveless marriage to please his family. Neither the icily practical lady, nor her debt-
Linda
3.75 Stars

Corinthian
1. a man about town, especially one who lives luxuriously or, sometimes, dissolutely. A sophisticated man.

Sir Richard Wyndham was in a bind. He was twenty nine years old with nothing to show for it. Sure, he had money, good looks, the best clothes, a wonderful house and lots of friends. But he had neither a wife or any heirs and he was the last in the Wyndham line. As his older shrewish sister and marshmallow-minded mother recently reminded him, it was his duty to marry.

And
Becca
Apr 30, 2014 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have previously heard Georgette Heyer described as the “Queen of Regency Romance”, and after having read The Corinthian, I am now fully convinced that this is indeed the case. This is the fourth novel of Georgette Heyer’s that I have encountered… and incidentally the first one I’ve encountered in paperback. Thus this particular novel proved that I do (as I had thought) greatly enjoy Ms Heyer’s delightful stories; and that it wasn’t only because Richard Armitage narrated the three other stories ...more
Kathleen
I listened to the audio version, newly released at Audible. The narrator, Georgina Sutton, has a lovely British accent, and portrays Pen beautifully, and Richard fairly well. However, she makes the listening experience unpleasant to my ears for some of the secondary male characters. Hard on the ears. Raspy, scratchy, twangy, and in Cedric's case, also goofy. I think she mispronounced a few words: inebriated, babble (unless the British pronunciation differs from American English).

I'd go 3.5 star
Charlotte
The Corinthian, ironically, had made little and immense impact upon me when I first read it a few years ago. Whilst I didn’t rate it as one of her better novels and swiftly forgot its plot, it has this wonderful and memorable ”Let them look.” moment that I always associate with Heyer’s regency romances… Little and immense indeed!

Heyer is the only author I’ve discovered who can stand, for me, on par with the Austen classics and, whilst this isn’t one of my favourites (These Old Shades, Regency Bu
Debbie
After re-reading this, I've decided that The Corinthianis one of my top-tier favorite Georgette Heyers. Sir Richard Wyndham is one of Heyer's perfectly formed, well-bred, fashion sense-gifted, wealthy heroes who is tired of his life. Sir Richard has just resigned himself to the marriage his family is pushing him into when he runs into young Penelope Creed, a friendly, talkative heiress, who is literally running away from the marriage her own family is forcing on her. Sir Richard decides to help ...more
Diane Lynn
Sep 02, 2015 Diane Lynn rated it really liked it
A madcap adventure and clean romance.
Cecily
Apr 03, 2015 Cecily rated it liked it
This book was a rousing kick in the pants (as usual) and so out of Regency character that I loved it even more. No dude would randomly embark on a journey with a random female in the middle of the night (no matter how drunk he was), and no female of fortune would NOT understand that her reputation would be positively in shreds after such a journey.

But who cares? I loved it anyway. I was delighted when Richard caught the girl, listened to the girl, and then went with the girl. I loved his tender
Jeanette
Sep 19, 2014 Jeanette rated it really liked it
This one is not much in London but virtually all over the countryside within inns and in all manner of coach. Because there is masquerade in dress and a 17 is escaping an impossible position by going undercover. Our Corinthian of 29 is drawn into the flurry of travel and complication. There's a stolen diamond necklace, a murder, and 3 proposed marriages in the mix. Penn is delightful and truly is a brat. Our dandy is wily as he is rich. Delightful, delightful read!
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • The Phantom Lover
  • Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand
  • Danse de la Folie
  • Knave's Wager
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
  • The Parfit Knight
  • The Captain's Inheritance (Rothschild Trilogy #3)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • A Little Folly
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...

“Sir Richard sighed. "Rid yourself of the notion that I cherish any villainous designs upon your person," he said. "I imagine I might well be your father. How old are you?"

"I am turned seventeen."

"Well, I am nearly thirty," said Sir Richard.

Miss Creed worked this out. "You couldn't possibly be my father!"

"I am far too drunk to solve arithmetical problems. Let it suffice that I have not the slightest intention of making love to you.”
53 likes
“I see now that there is a great deal in what Aunt Almeria says. She considers that there are terrible pitfalls in Society."

Sir Richard shook his head sadly. "Alas, too true!"

"And vice," said Pen awfully. "Profligacy, and extravagance, you know."

"I know."

She picked up her knife and fork again. "It must be very exciting," she said enviously.”
10 likes