Start by marking “The Wind on Fire Trilogy: The Wind Singer/Slaves of the Mastery/Firesong” as Want to Read:
The Wind on Fire Trilogy: The Wind Singer/Slaves of the Mastery/Firesong

The Wind on Fire Trilogy: The Wind Singer/Slaves of the Mastery/Firesong (Wind on Fire #1-3)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  1,162 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Twins Bowman and Kestrel have saved their family and the rest of the Manth people from slavery and helped bring about the downfall of the cruel city-state of the Mastery. Now, led by their mother, a prophetess, they are free to seek their promised land. But the journey is long and hard, filled with many dangers, enemies, distractions, and temptations. And each of the trave ...more
Published August 1st 2002 by Egmont Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Wind on Fire Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind on Fire Trilogy

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best books of our lifetime
312th out of 466 books — 674 voters
The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonThe Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice by Paige W. PendletonAlbion Imperilled by Ruth  ThomasFiona Thorn and the Carapacem Spell by Jen Barton
Various Variety of Children's Fantasy
86th out of 133 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

ZIMF The all 3 fruit. Epic.
Review:
William Nicholson is a master at fine the art of writing fantasy. He tells his compelling and very belivable story with simple language, but deeply true ideas. Although the book takes place in an imagined setting, with ficticious characters and times, the story of Manth is very real to us all, with true-to-earth people and enchantingly true personalities. However, the idea of "all will be well in the end" is rather overdone, and the importance of the Singer people is rather overly stresse
Sara
Oct 12, 2011 Sara rated it did not like it
Angelo de Clare
Apr 01, 2012 Angelo de Clare rated it it was amazing
Book 1: When I was reading this book I was expecting a long and dangerous quest taken by teens, fighting off the forces of evil in a mysterious and magical world. And I got what I asked for. It is not my favorite of the trilogy and in fact the first two times I read it I actually had to put it down at some points just because I got really confused. It's a bit like Harry Potter and His Dark Materials I think you have to read it when you are young, the first time ... although I was just confused. ...more
Holly
Mar 08, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
I LOVE these books. they are all about one family called the Hath's. The family go through ups and downs.
The plot of the main book is all about kestrel who hates the tests that they contiunously do. No one knows why but some but some say it is because the zars stole the heart of the wind singer. Kestrel, he r brother bow and a weird boy set out on a terrifing adventure to bring back the wind sing to where it belongs.
In the second book the town where the Haths live is caaptured by evil magicians
Jonathan Davies
Jul 12, 2016 Jonathan Davies rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love these books. It does help that they're very much written like a film and so very easy to follow. But despite all my childhood desperation for this trilogy to be made into a film, I don't think anyone could do it justice. The first story is wonderful and imaginative as you follow three desperate children on an adventure to save their city from a mysterious and malign force. Then the children grow up to young adults as you follow them through further trials and tribulations as their entire ...more
Nicole
Jul 27, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I still find these books incredible, and I can't believe how much I remembered, even though I think this is only the second time I've read them, and I think the first time was around 2002. Excellent story line and characters. I do love the Manth people. The first time I read this series, I read it backwards. I started with Firesong, because I didn't realize it was the third in a series, and I loved it, and was excited when I found out that there were more. So then I was left with the decision, s ...more
Rachael
May 13, 2013 Rachael rated it really liked it
I am reading the third book, Firesong, of The Wind on Fire Trilogy. In this book Bowman and Kestrel have their third and final journey. They are joined by their friend Mumpo, their parents and the rest of the Manth people. The Manth people are now looking for their homeland. Their original home was taken over and burned down by bandits, and they were forced to leave. Now they're on a trecherous journey across the land and over the mountains to find the place where they belong. They don't even ha ...more
Emily
Nov 02, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book is for the younger audience, but when read at the right age it genuinely is a stunning set of books.

It did have a few images that stuck with me that were perhaps a little too dark for the younger end of the recommended reading age but I remember thinking it was super cool to have a book that dealt with death and other dark things so head on unlike those normal 'happy dappy ending' children's books.

Even at a young age I found it hard to get past the made up 'curse words' used but that
Celine
Nov 03, 2014 Celine rated it it was amazing
As far as I can remember, this book series was my absolute favourite when I was a child, I read these books possibly 10 years ago and I can still remember bits and pieces of it. Absolutely a must read
Brandon
Jun 02, 2014 Brandon rated it it was amazing
it's been years since I read this - but I still think about it now and then. I suppose it's time to re-read it, and remember all of the details I have long since forgotten! :)
Denae Christine
Sep 02, 2014 Denae Christine rated it it was ok
I don't remember much, but I remember disliking the characters, or at least being annoyed with them.
Lydia Graham
Feb 13, 2014 Lydia Graham rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read, they are well worth it
Rochelle
Jun 02, 2014 Rochelle marked it as to-read
recommended by Josh at work
Sally Cleminson
Jun 22, 2013 Sally Cleminson rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite trilogies of all time. A series that portrays so many genres creatively- adventure, suspense, sci-fi, dystopian fantasy, romance. The characters are wonderfully structured and interesting to get to know... The violent underlying core of the society of Aramanth- and the radical changes it goes through- the reader from beginning to end, as does the families' unbelievable journey. I've read these three a few times and I think they are a marvelous display of unique fantas ...more
Jenylyng
Jul 24, 2008 Jenylyng rated it liked it
read this series with your young adult children - then go visit anywhere outside of a city. They see the landscape as a place visited in the book. We went to the topaz mountain interrment camp, as well as many places in Hawaii and my children commented on how this could be the place where Kestrel and Bowman were when (something) happened. The imagery in the book was very well painted without being long and boring - very un-english (to me that's a good thing).
TMJ
Mar 30, 2008 TMJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Exciting and imaginative fantasy and adventure trilogy. Imagine living in a city where how much money you make and how well you live is determined by the marks you get in your exams? Two children rebel and go in search of a new homeland encountering weird and wonderful situations on the way as they search for the key to their identity.

Book 2 (Slaves of the Mastery) stands out as the winner of the series delivering on action, fear and suspense.
Minty-chan~
Oct 04, 2012 Minty-chan~ rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-magic
i read this when i was much younger, i think i was 13 or so. i re-read the series last year to refresh my memory. i loved the swear-words which the author created, they were so funny. i remember going round the house using them instead of the normal swear words. my family probably thought i was weird saying 'sagahog!' and 'hubahubapinpin' aroung the house. i just laugh when i think of it!
i know, i know - its veeeery silly but i was younger then...
Venny
Feb 05, 2011 Venny rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved all the characters.
Micholson's writing style is very different, and the main characters in the series are very entertaining.

The story is a little loose but the turn of events and some specific scenes (when Bowman flies) were really well-written.

Although the series is made up of thin books, all three parts are equally entertaining, the second being my overall favourite.
Jo
Dec 14, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this series. Nicholson has created such a rich dystopian world thats unlike many other recent dystopian novels. Unlike many other recent dystopian novels, i feel that Bowman and Kestrel go through much more of a psychological growth and development as the story progresses than just "am i good enough" concept. its an endearing series, loved it from beginning to end.
Pearl
Jun 21, 2012 Pearl rated it it was amazing
One of the most consistant series of books I have ever read. Every book was intense, powerful and captivating. I warmed to the central characters completely and still think about this trilogy even years after I read it. Bowman and Kestral are two of the most well rounded and exciting characters I have ever been introduced to. I don't think this trilogy has enough recognition!
Rachel
Jul 16, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, ya
This is a great young adult adventure series. Like much of the best of its genre it touches on some intense themes about humanity and self-determination. This series does so in a simple yet unique manner, following an iconoclast family through triumph and defeat to a riveting finale. It belongs squarely between the L'engle time series and His Dark Materials.
Levi
Aug 23, 2011 Levi rated it it was amazing
i love these books sooo much i literally cried when i finished reading the last book and when i stopped reading for the nite the next day i would picture it like it was a movie the book was so well written i could actualy seewhat the characters would look like because the book lets you use your own imagination to create the characters
Summer
Mar 05, 2008 Summer rated it it was ok
This is a great fantasy trilogy. I like the first book the best, but all three really are great. Author does a great job portraying the fantastical elements and has some really fun new ideas for magic:) The only drawback is that I got bogged down a little in the third book, but I loved the ending!
Sarah Mosley
Jan 18, 2013 Sarah Mosley rated it it was amazing
I found that as a teenager I could relate to Kestrel, I found her willpower and determination fascinating and inspiring, because of this I was compelled to read the rest of the books. They did not let me down. I recommend them to anyone who requires a strong female lead and loves fantasy.
Julia
Mar 28, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, ya-fiction
"Today begins my walk with you. Where you go, I go. Where you stay, I stay. When you sleep, I will sleep. When you rise, I will rise. I will pass my days within the sound of your voice, and my nights within the reach of your hand. And non shall come between us."
Library Lady
Sep 17, 2007 Library Lady rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
This wonderful trilogy is full of thrilling adventure, beautiful writing, and loveable characters. It also contains a surprising-- to me anyway-- Biblical allegory that I found very interesting and moving. I highly recommend them!
Lyndsey
May 28, 2008 Lyndsey rated it it was amazing
It was just chance that I found the first book in this trilogy, and I never expected to be enthralled by it. An amazing read for anyone wiling to stretch the imagination a little bit.
Iman Adeosun
Dec 30, 2012 Iman Adeosun rated it it was amazing
Read this back in high school so I can't really give it the raving review it deserves. But it's been 8 years or so and I still remember this as one of the best books I've ever read.
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This guy is an incredible author. I read these books a long time ago but remember them as a well written, fun to read, interesting commentary on different types of society.
Carmen
Mar 18, 2009 Carmen rated it it was amazing
This is such an amazing series. The author is a British journalist who works for the BBC, and it's well written with fantastic characters and a very original story. I love it.
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 3 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #3)
  • Never Trust A Rabbit: Stories With a Twist
  • Joseph
  • 신의 탑 1 (Tower of God, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift
  • The Allure of Hope: God's Pursuit of a Woman's Heart
  • Brilliance of the Moon, Episode 1: Battle for Maruyama (Tales of the Otori, #3 Ep. 1)
  • The Green Knight
  • Skammerens datter 1+2 (Skammerserien, #1-2)
  • Jacquot and the Waterman (Daniel Jacquot #1)
  • The Marriage Market
  • The Silverwing Trilogy (Boxed Set): Silverwing; Sunwing; Firewing
  • Homefront: The Voice of Freedom
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 8 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 8] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #8)
  • The Wicked Years Complete Collection: Wicked, Son of a Witch, A Lion Among Men, and Out of Oz
  • The Gospel According to Moses: What My Jewish Friends Taught Me about Jesus
  • 来訪者編 〈下〉- Visitor Chapter 3 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #11)

William Nicholson was born in 1948, and grew up in Sussex and Gloucestershire. His plays for television include Shadowlands and Life Story , both of which won the BAFTA Best Television Drama award in their year; other award-winners were Sweet As You Are and The March . In 1
More about William Nicholson...

Wind on Fire (3 books)
  • The Wind Singer (Wind on Fire, #1)
  • Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)