Start by marking “Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)

Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera #3)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  31,832 ratings  ·  816 reviews
The power-hungry High Lord of Kalare has launched a rebellion against the aging First Lord, Gaius Sextus, who with the loyal forces of Alera must fight beside the unlikeliest of allies-the equally contentious High Lord of Aquitaine.

Meanwhile, young Tavi of Calderon joins a newly formed legion under an assumed name even as the ruthless Kalare unites with the Canim, bestia
Published December 5th 2006 by Ace Hardcover (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cursor's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursor's Fury

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
126th out of 1,539 books — 5,480 voters
Hounded by Kevin HearneStorm Front by Jim ButcherThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussZero Sight by B. Justin ShierThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
Contemporary Fantasy for Guys
45th out of 461 books — 349 voters

More lists with this book...

Rob
Executive Summary: To me this is where the series really starts to shine. Mr. Butcher established the world and the key players in the last 2 books, and now he gets down the business of telling the story.

Audio book: I didn't like Ms. Reading too much at the start. Her male voices bothered me. By this book however, I couldn't imagine anyone else reading this. There is a scene where random legionaries are calling out and Ms. Reading does different voices for all of them.

I think she's also flushed
Kaila
Tom
Another 5 for sure on this book in the series! I’m not sure whether I liked it as much as the second book but I do know that I loved it.

I loved that this book takes place years after the last book and that gives the characters to grow up a bit. As in the other books in the series, there are constant twists and turns. The characters are so real and the villians again show to be in a very grey zone. I love how Gaius is supposed to be the “good” guy but the story is always bringing up evidence that
Stephen
4.5 stars. Another outstanding installment of this high quality epic fantasy series. Of Butcher's two series, I think I like this series more (even though the Dresden books are a ton of fun). The quality of the writing continues to improve, the scope of the story continues to expand and the world-building is absolutely superb. So far, each successive installment has been better than the previous one and I hope the trend continues. Highly Recommended!!
Jim
Another good addition to the series, but some of the foreshadowing was heavy handed, so 3.5. A fun, quick read. This didn't appeal to me in some ways as much as the first or second because Butcher is getting a little too predictable, still it had its moments. The series is definitely worth continuing. No real need for a full review - if you liked the first 2 books, you'll like this one. I did & am moving on to the 4th.

Update: This book in the MMP edition, is the only one to have a map, so fa
Xara Niouraki
Solid five starts. An excellent book that expands the universe and makes you keep reading. I love the characters. Butcher is really good at making them interesting and I end up caring about all of them, even the bad ones. Fidelias is one of my favourite and I really enjoy the fact that he is not wholly good or bad but has his own moral compass. The ending of the book was totally awesome and it made me start reading the fourth book immediately.
A highly recommended series. Butcher shows once agai
***Dave Hill
(Original review: http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2008/01/...)

Story: Good
Characters: Fair
Re-Readability: Good
Overall: Good

Story: This is a return to Butcher’s fantasy world, populated by apparent descendents of Ancient Rome (a mystery still only brushed against), and where magic manifests as bound / familiar elemental spirits, or furies. Furies can not only manifest themselves as elemental creatures. but also give to their controllers great power — strength for Earth, speed for Air, endurance for M
Amanda
Cursor's Fury is the third novel in the Codex Alera sequence by Jim Butcher. We return to events following Tavi, orphaned child - or, rather, young man by this stage - as he takes up a political position within the First Aleran Legion at the request of the First Lord. Gaius intends Tavi to learn the process of legion life, while trying to keep him away from the actual fighting - the First Legion is newly created and going through a drilling process. However, events conspire against the First Lor ...more
Nicholas
Good, good, good book. Tavi is growing up, and his mysterious past, and why he has no furies is finally revealed.

Things that are really good:
1. Maximus
2. Maximus
3. Grown-up Ehren
4. Kitai
5. Tavi as a legionnaire captain

oh wait, .5. The Freaking Canim.

Finally Tavi's got some worthy adversaries and while treachery is always afoot in the Kingdom of Alera, this time, there's far more open conflict. Butcher continues to write really well and put his characters through legitimately believable emotion
Rosanna
This series just keeps getting better! I love these characters and story line. The only thing that kept it from a five star was the long drawn out battle scenes, other than that, this was pretty damn amazing.

On to book four...

Avery
4.5

It had been about 2 months since I read Academ's Fury and I was feeling a little indifferent when it came to this book, concerning whether or not I would remember what went on before, as this book progressed. Those feelings quickly went away as I began reading this book. What I love about this book, that sticks out most, is that there is a huge time lapse between each book; the second book took place two years after the first book, this one took place that next year. In those three years, you
Janyse
This review covers the full 6-book series:

This is by far one of the best fantasy series I've read! Jim Dresden has created characters that are well-rounded and fleshed out to the point that they feel real. Tavi is the kind of character that every kingdom needs--someone who sees right and wrong but recognizes the impossibility of making choices that benefit all. That never stops him from doing what he thinks is best for all Alerans despite what it might cost him. He isn't afraid of change and isn
Sarah (couldn't be more stoked for summer)
Another one goes to the DNF graveyard, at 16%.
Sigh. I was excited for this book. After raving about Furies of Calderon and being extremely let down by the sequel, I hoped this would renew my love for the series.
The Codex Alera series has fascinating world-building that's nicely explained, with strong characters and an action-packed plot. Well, at least the first book did.
I really dislike giving up halfway through a series, but I can't take another 600 pages of strategy, planning, and too many P
Enzo
The "Codex Alera" series is not as followed as "Dresden Files" but Jim Butcher has really made it entertaining. Tavi is now a Cursor and is being sent out on missions. The latest to see a new Legion just formed. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy the fact its based on the old Roman Army: Legion, Cohors, Centurion, etc. (Well it was a bet and I the pokemon side is also great: furies)
The series really grows into you as we follow Tavi and his family. But the best part of this book is Tavi commandin
Julia
Dec 08, 2008 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy
Recommended to Julia by: unknown
Shelves: fantasy
Amanda
Wow. This series has completely blown me away. What I thought was a good story turned into a GREAT story and shows no signs of abating anytime soon.

In Tavi, Amara, Bernard, and the countless others, Butcher has created a juggernaut-like cast of characters. In the first book, you like them, but in the following two, you grow to love them. Tavi inspires a feeling of awe, his characters is so well crafted(pun intended). What begins as a major handicap showcases Tavi's courage and intelligence. He d
Mike (the Paladin)
Getting to know the characters better here. The "aforementioned" underlying plot comes more clearly into focus and the story grows. Well written and very enjoyable.

I gave these short "I liked them reviews" when I finished these books. My attention was brought back to them and I want to take a minute to recommend them and say again that I like them. Being a huge Dresden fan I probably tend to give them a bit of
short shrift.

You can tell by the titles that Tavi's is moving through life. Having gon
Rachel
Pretty. Darned. Good.
Vorbis
This is a really fun book and a quick read, highly recommended as long as you don't think too hard about it. It's uplifting and leaves you feeling good.

However I had the whole night to think about it, so here are some issues that would come up if it wasn't a fantasy (these things in no way detract from the book, just suspend disbelief for a while).

K, the biggest and most obvious issue with the plot is of course Tavi the commanding general of the Legion. Right. So, so much you have got to be ki
Stefan
I am really enjoying this series and Cursor's Fury has been my favorite thus far. I have been a long time fan of Butcher's Dresden Files,but the Codex Alera series is something completely different. I think Butcher is a true master in crafting a new series with such a different voice.

I am a little disappointed the hear that he will not be returning to the world of Alera,but is nice to know that I have three more books to go before the journey us over.
Anna-louise
Another great book! The main characters just get caught up in a whole heap of trouble yet again and you get taken along for the ride again. What i loved about this book was the story of Isana and Fade it was a battle just for those two unlike what Tavi was going through and the outcome made me cry! This book has some clever twists that i really didn't see coming. Straight onto the next for me :)
Kira
4 1/2 stars
Scott
After more deliberation on this book, I might have to include it on my favorite's shelf. It was so damn good from beginning to end.

Butcher really has a knack for writing action scenes, and there was little to no let up during this book. I was frantically turning pages, hoping for the best.

The twists and revelations keep on coming, and I continue to love how Tavi makes due with no furycraft of hi own. It's an extremely entertaining dynamic.

Prologue had one of the funnier moments in the series
Linda

About three years have passed since the Canim invasion that occurred at the First Lord's Citadel. Tavi is now serving in First Aleran, a legion that consists of soldiers from all over the realm of Alera. After three years, the Canim, or intelligent creatures with a monster-like appearance and a greater intelligence than humans, have decided to give the realm trouble again. The odds are in their favor and they could very likely succeed in dominating Alera. Tavi and his friends and relatives are f

♡Esra♡
The story and everyone in it is getting better and better. I already love this series but I guess this one was better than the others. We are beginning to get a few answers to our former questions and form up new questions from that point. Which is always a plus for me because I don't like to wonder about the same thing till the end.

The best thing about this book was that it wasn't draining at all. In the other books we couldn't even take a breather before we were thrown back into the battle or
Jon

Bit of a letdown from the first two. Maybe it's because I had lower expectations from them? Taking a break from this series so it'll be fresh when I get back to it. DF worked that way too. Two books at a time was good. Third was asking too much.

Too much military stuff. I don't mind it as a topic but it made the book monotonous. If the side plots played bigger roles I wouldn't have minded so much, but they were very minor compared to Tavi's plot.

Monotony aside the relative unimportance of the
Qing
Ahh Tavi <3 He's so smart... lol^^^^I was feeling very smug in figuring most stuff out before it was revealed, though one thing was kind of still surprising, which I won't mention (obviously... unless you *really* want to know, um, wiki it? lol).^^^^I felt that the book wrapped up some loose ends nicely and so am wary in starting the 4th book, but Minh sez that the 4th book is even better AND each book is really stand alone (which I didn't know)... and she also disagrees with book 3 tying up ...more
Melissa
First, let me say that I enjoyed the chapters that focused on Tavi. I like him as a character, and seeing him in a commanding role and developing as a leader is a nice set-up for what I'm assuming is going to be happening the future of the story.

Having said that, there were other parts of the story that were...aggravating to me. I'm an expecting first-time-mom, and let me tell you-- I spend nearly every waking second (and some REM cycle seconds) worrying about my baby. I have a 30-60 minute com
Cheryl Landmark
Ah, Tavi! This young man is rapidly becoming one of my favourite fantasy characters. Despite being furyless, he possesses other qualities that make me love, respect and admire him more every subsequent book--he is courageous, clever, intelligent, resourceful, audacious, witty.

In this book, he had need of every one of those qualities as the enemies of the Alera realm threatened, invaded and killed many of its citizens and legionaires. Mr. Butcher has a great knack for depicting battle scenes and
Irisheyz77
Holy freakin' wow. My love affair with Jim Butcher's The Codex Alera series continues with Cursor's Fury. This story picks up two years after the second book in the series, Academ's Fury, where life in Alera has settled somewhat back into the normal routines of political intrigue and espionage. Tavi is continuing to not only survive but thrive in a world where most people consider him to be a freak because he has no furies of his own to control.

However, its this lack of furies that makes Tavi in
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Mountain, #3)
  • Imager's Challenge (Imager Portfolio, #2)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Soul Mirror (Collegia Magica, #2)
  • Iorich (Vlad Taltos, #12)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crimson Vault (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)

“This is what it look like when it WORKS?” 44 likes