Start by marking “Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)

Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera #3)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  36,579 Ratings  ·  901 Reviews
The power-hungry High Lord of Kalare has launched a rebellion against the aging First Lord, Gaius Sextus, who with the loyal forces of Alera must fight beside the unlikeliest of allies-the equally contentious High Lord of Aquitaine.

Meanwhile, young Tavi of Calderon joins a newly formed legion under an assumed name even as the ruthless Kalare unites with the Canim, bestia
Published December 5th 2006 by Ace Hardcover (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cursor's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursor's Fury

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
119th out of 1,638 books — 6,017 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussStorm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussZero Sight by B. Justin Shier
Contemporary Fantasy for Guys
47th out of 527 books — 462 voters

More lists with this book...

Evgeny
Sep 28, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The First Lord of Alera does not get any younger (I am stating obvious, am I not?) He also does not have any male heir - or female for that matter. No wonder that everybody and their brother want his job, yesterday. Several high-ranking people actually have the means to get it.

To neutralize the danger from the most likely contender (High Lord Kalare), The First Lord forces him to act early hoping his lack of preparation would allow for an easy victory. He severely underestimated Kalare's streng
Rob
Executive Summary: To me this is where the series really starts to shine. Mr. Butcher established the world and the key players in the last 2 books, and now he gets down the business of telling the story.

Audio book: I didn't like Ms. Reading too much at the start. Her male voices bothered me. By this book however, I couldn't imagine anyone else reading this. There is a scene where random legionaries are calling out and Ms. Reading does different voices for all of them.

I think she's also flushed
Kaila
I have yet to actually like any of the books in the Codex Alera. Why do I keep reading them, you ask? Good question. I guess at some point I couldn't tear my eyes away from the train wreck and I love a good groan as well as the next bloke. At this point I'm in gaped mouthed awe at how angry these books make me, and I just have to know if they continue to be so bad. Prepare for maximum bitchiness.

(view spoiler)
Tom
Mar 28, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
Another 5 for sure on this book in the series! I’m not sure whether I liked it as much as the second book but I do know that I loved it.

I loved that this book takes place years after the last book and that gives the characters to grow up a bit. As in the other books in the series, there are constant twists and turns. The characters are so real and the villians again show to be in a very grey zone. I love how Gaius is supposed to be the “good” guy but the story is always bringing up evidence that
Kathleen
Nov 18, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Wonderful. Best so far. Good integration of magic, strategy, and Roman engineering. Tavi's character takes shape and some new relationships develop, along with the old favorites (Max, Kitai, Ehren, Amara, Bernard, etc.). We learn about Fade's role in his birth, and see more of the wolf-like Canum warriors and ritualist sorcerers.

But Butcher goes overboard with "wolfish grins" and inserts a bit too much on the sexy Amara-Bernard ship.

I don't buy into the reformed character. Redemption isn't so ch
Stephen
Aug 30, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Another outstanding installment of this high quality epic fantasy series. Of Butcher's two series, I think I like this series more (even though the Dresden books are a ton of fun). The quality of the writing continues to improve, the scope of the story continues to expand and the world-building is absolutely superb. So far, each successive installment has been better than the previous one and I hope the trend continues. Highly Recommended!!
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good addition to the series, but some of the foreshadowing was heavy handed, so 3.5. A fun, quick read. This didn't appeal to me in some ways as much as the first or second because Butcher is getting a little too predictable, still it had its moments. The series is definitely worth continuing. No real need for a full review - if you liked the first 2 books, you'll like this one. I did & am moving on to the 4th.

Update: This book in the MMP edition, is the only one to have a map, so fa
Xara Niouraki
Mar 03, 2015 Xara Niouraki rated it it was amazing
Solid five starts. An excellent book that expands the universe and makes you keep reading. I love the characters. Butcher is really good at making them interesting and I end up caring about all of them, even the bad ones. Fidelias is one of my favourite and I really enjoy the fact that he is not wholly good or bad but has his own moral compass. The ending of the book was totally awesome and it made me start reading the fourth book immediately.
A highly recommended series. Butcher shows once agai
***Dave Hill
Dec 14, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: text
(Original review: http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2008/01/...)

Story: Good
Characters: Fair
Re-Readability: Good
Overall: Good

Story: This is a return to Butcher’s fantasy world, populated by apparent descendents of Ancient Rome (a mystery still only brushed against), and where magic manifests as bound / familiar elemental spirits, or furies. Furies can not only manifest themselves as elemental creatures. but also give to their controllers great power — strength for Earth, speed for Air, endurance for M
Amanda
Jan 20, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Cursor's Fury is the third novel in the Codex Alera sequence by Jim Butcher. We return to events following Tavi, orphaned child - or, rather, young man by this stage - as he takes up a political position within the First Aleran Legion at the request of the First Lord. Gaius intends Tavi to learn the process of legion life, while trying to keep him away from the actual fighting - the First Legion is newly created and going through a drilling process. However, events conspire against the First Lor ...more
Nicholas
Aug 25, 2010 Nicholas rated it really liked it
Good, good, good book. Tavi is growing up, and his mysterious past, and why he has no furies is finally revealed.

Things that are really good:
1. Maximus
2. Maximus
3. Grown-up Ehren
4. Kitai
5. Tavi as a legionnaire captain

oh wait, .5. The Freaking Canim.

Finally Tavi's got some worthy adversaries and while treachery is always afoot in the Kingdom of Alera, this time, there's far more open conflict. Butcher continues to write really well and put his characters through legitimately believable emotion
Eduardo Schimitt
Aug 21, 2015 Eduardo Schimitt rated it it was amazing
Jim Butcher mandou muito bem nesse livro. As partes do Tavi com a Primeira Allerana foram foda demais e os PoV secundários também foram ótimos.
Rosanna
Apr 20, 2014 Rosanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better! I love these characters and story line. The only thing that kept it from a five star was the long drawn out battle scenes, other than that, this was pretty damn amazing.

On to book four...

Avery
Dec 28, 2014 Avery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-and-read
4.5

It had been about 2 months since I read Academ's Fury and I was feeling a little indifferent when it came to this book, concerning whether or not I would remember what went on before, as this book progressed. Those feelings quickly went away as I began reading this book. What I love about this book, that sticks out most, is that there is a huge time lapse between each book; the second book took place two years after the first book, this one took place that next year. In those three years, you
Janyse
Oct 29, 2014 Janyse rated it it was amazing
This review covers the full 6-book series:

This is by far one of the best fantasy series I've read! Jim Dresden has created characters that are well-rounded and fleshed out to the point that they feel real. Tavi is the kind of character that every kingdom needs--someone who sees right and wrong but recognizes the impossibility of making choices that benefit all. That never stops him from doing what he thinks is best for all Alerans despite what it might cost him. He isn't afraid of change and isn
ShoSho
Jan 03, 2016 ShoSho rated it really liked it
Sarah *on hiatus*
Another one goes to the DNF graveyard, at 16%.
Sigh. I was excited for this book. After raving about Furies of Calderon and being extremely let down by the sequel, I hoped this would renew my love for the series.
The Codex Alera series has fascinating world-building that's nicely explained, with strong characters and an action-packed plot. Well, at least the first book did.
I really dislike giving up halfway through a series, but I can't take another 600 pages of strategy, planning, and too many P
Enzo
Jul 10, 2014 Enzo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, fantasy
The "Codex Alera" series is not as followed as "Dresden Files" but Jim Butcher has really made it entertaining. Tavi is now a Cursor and is being sent out on missions. The latest to see a new Legion just formed. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy the fact its based on the old Roman Army: Legion, Cohors, Centurion, etc. (Well it was a bet and I the pokemon side is also great: furies)
The series really grows into you as we follow Tavi and his family. But the best part of this book is Tavi commandin
Julia
Dec 08, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy
Recommended to Julia by: unknown
Dantezgirl
Aug 14, 2013 Dantezgirl rated it it was ok
Amanda
Jan 16, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Wow. This series has completely blown me away. What I thought was a good story turned into a GREAT story and shows no signs of abating anytime soon.

In Tavi, Amara, Bernard, and the countless others, Butcher has created a juggernaut-like cast of characters. In the first book, you like them, but in the following two, you grow to love them. Tavi inspires a feeling of awe, his characters is so well crafted(pun intended). What begins as a major handicap showcases Tavi's courage and intelligence. He d
Liza H
Nov 15, 2015 Liza H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
I'm really getting into these fantasy Jim Butcher books now. The story started really slowly in the first and second books, but with the third, the action has really picked up and I think Butcher is doing a LOT better with his fight/battle scenes as well. The character of Tavi is one that I'm not usually all that interested in - he's 100% good, with none of the yummy complicated layers that I usually like my heroes to have. But Butcher has managed to give him enough depth and personality that I ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Getting to know the characters better here. The "aforementioned" underlying plot comes more clearly into focus and the story grows. Well written and very enjoyable.

I gave these short "I liked them reviews" when I finished these books. My attention was brought back to them and I want to take a minute to recommend them and say again that I like them. Being a huge Dresden fan I probably tend to give them a bit of
short shrift.

You can tell by the titles that Tavi's is moving through life. Having gon
Rachel
Mar 07, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty. Darned. Good.
Vorbis
Mar 04, 2015 Vorbis rated it really liked it
This is a really fun book and a quick read, highly recommended as long as you don't think too hard about it. It's uplifting and leaves you feeling good.

However I had the whole night to think about it, so here are some issues that would come up if it wasn't a fantasy (these things in no way detract from the book, just suspend disbelief for a while).

K, the biggest and most obvious issue with the plot is of course Tavi the commanding general of the Legion. Right. So, so much you have got to be ki
Chris
Sep 13, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Alright, that was cool. At least if you find the idea of Roman legionnaires fighting an army of seven foot tall wolf men cool.

The whole book's good but Tavi's subplot in the First Aleran Legion was best. Tavi starts out as Subtribune Logistica (basically a junior logistics officer) in the newly formed First Aleran which is apparently riddled with spies.

Shit gets real when the Canim (aforementioned wolf men from the west) invade and due to a confounding confluence of crises the rookie First Alera
Anna-louise
May 27, 2012 Anna-louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book! The main characters just get caught up in a whole heap of trouble yet again and you get taken along for the ride again. What i loved about this book was the story of Isana and Fade it was a battle just for those two unlike what Tavi was going through and the outcome made me cry! This book has some clever twists that i really didn't see coming. Straight onto the next for me :)
Scott
May 31, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
After more deliberation on this book, I might have to include it on my favorite's shelf. It was so damn good from beginning to end.

Butcher really has a knack for writing action scenes, and there was little to no let up during this book. I was frantically turning pages, hoping for the best.

The twists and revelations keep on coming, and I continue to love how Tavi makes due with no furycraft of hi own. It's an extremely entertaining dynamic.

Prologue had one of the funnier moments in the series
Kira
Sep 09, 2015 Kira rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
4 1/2 stars
Denise
Nov 13, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, part #4)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • The Crimson Vault (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #2)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

“This is what it look like when it WORKS?” 47 likes