Start by marking “Starquake” as Want to Read:
Starquake

Starquake (Cheela #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  617 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Starquake, the sequel to Dragons Egg, takes place on the surface of a neutron star. The gravity is 67 billion Earth gravities. The native cheela, the size of sesame seeds, live a million times faster than their human friends in orbit. After a starquake, the humans have only one day to save the remains of cheela civilization from extinction.
Published December 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Starquake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starquake

Revelation Space by Alastair ReynoldsThe Martian by Andy WeirFoundation by Isaac AsimovUse of Weapons by Iain M. BanksA Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
best hard science fiction
83rd out of 242 books — 373 voters
The Forever War by Joe HaldemanWhen Earthlings Weep by Michael  BarnettNeuromancer by William GibsonRendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. ClarkeChildhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
Reddit Underrated Sci Fi List
44th out of 87 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Kirsten Zirngibl
Sep 21, 2014 Kirsten Zirngibl rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Starquake provides the kind of crises throughout which Dragon's egg was missing from its own climax. I enjoyed this almost as much as the first. I think the overall plot (3 plots really) was actually stronger. It does lack the freshness/novelty of the first, though that's unavoidable in a sequel!

What's interesting about this I.P. is that Starquake could probably be read before Dragon's Egg without too many problems. As long as the reader read the "encyclopedia entry" at the end of the first nov
Jon
Jun 14, 2008 Jon rated it liked it
A bit of a disappointment in comparison to Dragon's Egg. Though it's still hard SF, I suppose, as any story about a civilization that lives on the surface of a neutron star must be, the cheelah behave just slightly too humanly for my comfort, despite having a dozen eyes each and looking like bugs.

Unique enough to hold my attention sufficiently to see how the story ends.
Simon Mcleish
Apr 28, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in May 1999.

Starquake and Dragon's Egg, the novel to which it forms a sequel, contain some of the most unusual aliens ever envisaged by a science fiction writer. Forward, with an engineering background, has written some of the most interesting 'hard' science fiction. This is a term used for strongly ideas based writing, using the latest scientific knowledge and incorporating a great deal of physics as accurately as possible.

Dragon's Egg contains all the inter
Andrew Kennedy
Aug 10, 2012 Andrew Kennedy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Not bad. As I was reading, it was hard to tell apart the "Cheela" from humans. Their culture is the same as humans (specifically Americans), including government budget debates and consumerism. Other than the references to the 12 eyes, the weird timescale and the extreme gravity, there wasn't much difference. It was kind of annoying at times to try to convert the cheela time to human time. It was also annoying having to memorize a new set of terms for time, hours and days would have worked almos ...more
Arnoud Visser
Jan 24, 2016 Arnoud Visser rated it liked it
A bit like Heliconian Winter, how to rebuild a civilization from scratch after a disaster. Story starts a bit slow, with retelling the previous story (from a slightly different viewpoint) and the introduction of the characters which will become important after the disaster.
Russell Mace
Apr 26, 2014 Russell Mace rated it it was amazing
This book, and its predecessor, Dragon's Egg, stole my imagination and wouldn't give it back till I finished. Made me stay up all night.
Craig
Jan 11, 2016 Craig rated it it was amazing
Like 'Dragon's Egg', to which this is a prequel, this story follows two simultaneous but very different scales of time.
John

series book D2
Javier
Jul 07, 2012 Javier rated it liked it
Shelves: ciencia-ficción
La continuación de "Huevo de Dragón" escrita en el mismo estilo de ciencia ficción "hard". Seguimos a la civilización cheela desde su casi total destrucción tras un estrellamoto hasta su recuperación.

Esta novela amplia el conocimiento de los cheela, su forma de vida, animales de compañía, ocio, etc. Una mirada irónica a nuestra civilización.
Antony Castellano
Starquake, the sequel to Dragon’s Egg, takes place on the surface of a neutron star. The gravity is 67 billion Earth gravities. The native “cheela”, the size of sesame seeds, live a million times faster than their human friends in orbit. After a starquake, the humans have only one day to save the remains of cheela civilization from extinction.
Ben
Jan 23, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
As with the previous book, the science is intense and fascinating. The characters are flat and serve to move the plot forward. On the whole, I enjoyed my time spent with the weird tiny civilization that lives at a pace 1,000,000 times faster than our own, and on the surface of a neutron star.
Marcusbran
While not as good as Dragon's Egg - this is a real treat for lovers of hard science fiction. Forward adroitly handles the switches from Human to Cheela perspective, and the vast numbers of Cheela generations that come and go.

The appendices, as a Physicist, are very interesting.
Cmadler
As others have noted, this was OK, but disappointing as a follow-up to Dragon's Egg. Despite being tiny little blobs with 12 eyes, they do act just like humans. Also, the book dragged for about the first 1/4, but then...BLAM! Stuff Happens...and then More Stuff!
Sam
Dec 28, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book, but still interesting. The aliens, while quite different from humans, are very human in their attitude and culture. Despite this, I still quite enjoyed the story. It was better than I expected.
Aaron Anderson
Dec 28, 2013 Aaron Anderson rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy this as much as the first book, but it still wasn't bad.
Zach, "Gnome" Israel
Jan 04, 2014 Zach, "Gnome" Israel rated it really liked it
Not as fun as the first, as nothing can be more fun then watching a species develop. The end was wrapped up a bit too quickly for my taste, but it was still a great read.
Richard Laxton
Feb 26, 2013 Richard Laxton rated it really liked it
An interesting follow-up to Dragon's Egg and well worth a read. I have been missing the hard science fiction and this book certainly scratched that itch.
David
Aug 13, 2012 David rated it liked it
It was great to revisit the world of Dragon's Egg-- in which tiny, dense, fast-living life inhabits the surface of a neutron star.
Bev
Sep 28, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forward writes the best hard science fiction.
Keith
Feb 01, 2013 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Sequel to "Dragon's Egg"
Marco Carneiro
Marco Carneiro marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Craig Young
Craig Young rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Nico
Nico rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Jonathan Tannis
Jonathan Tannis marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Duane Linton
Duane Linton rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Kevin Kinnen
Kevin Kinnen rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Katarína Čavojová
Katarína Čavojová rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
  • Giants' Star (Giants, #3)
  • Star Healer (Sector General, #6)
  • The Sunborn (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #2)
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • Deep Navigation
  • Building Harlequin's Moon
  • Heart of the Comet
  • The Flying Sorcerers
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Small Miracles
  • The Mystic Saga Omnibus (Books 1 - 5)
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
  • The Wall Around Eden
  • Back to the Moon
Robert Lull Forward, commonly known as Robert L. Forward, (August 15, 1932 - September 21, 2002) was an American physicist and science fiction writer. His fiction is noted for its scientific credibility, and uses many ideas developed during his work as an aerospace engineer.

More about Robert L. Forward...

Cheela (3 books)