Start by marking “The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)

The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A new novella from New York Times bestselling author Steven Erikson, set in the world of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Wurms of Blearmouth.

Tyranny comes in many guises, and tyrants thrive in palaces and one-room hovels, in back alleys and playgrounds. Tyrants abound on the verges of civilization, where disorder frays the rule of civil conduct and propriety surrenders...more
Published July 8th 2014 by Tor Books (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wurms of Blearmouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wurms of Blearmouth

Bob Milne
Tehol and Bugg. Kruppe and Iskaral Pust. Telorast and Curdle. These are names that will be instantly familiar to readers of Malazan Book of the Fallen . . . and which bring an immediate smile to the face. It's almost unfair that an author with such a flair for complex, densely woven epic fantasy can also pull off witty banter and darkly madcap humor, but Steven Erikson used those duos exceptionally well to lighten the overall tension and contrast the often crushing sense despair.

In a sense, his...more
Maxine
I was recently scrolling through the Tor website looking for something new to read when I stumbled upon the word, ‘grimlark’. I was so taken by the word that I actually didn’t notice what book it was describing because it was the perfect descriptive word for the book I was reading at the time, The Wurms of Blearmouth, the latest novella by author Steven Erikson about his unlikely trio, necromancers Beauchelain and Broach and their manservant, Emancipor Reese also known as Mancy the Unlucky for t...more
Janet
Last book I was concerned about the ratio of Bauchelain and Broach to the rest of the exterior characters, and particularly the fact that I thought the book was improved by their disappearing further into the background. I think this book finally got the balance just right.

Bauchelain, Broach, and Mancy have crashed upon the shore of a backwoods village following their shipwreck last book, and we now follow the adventures of them, the rest of the crew, and the villagers who occupy the town. As w...more
Phil
Here's a extract from my review, full link: http://afantasyreader.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-wurms-of-blearmouth-review.html

Even if Wurms is a novella featuring Bauchelain and Korbal Broach in a self-supporting story, I would strongly recommend reading the first three novellas beforehand. To fully benefit from all the insights and characters appearance from the other novellas, here's the reading order:

Blood Follows
The Lees of Laughter's End
The Healthy Dead
The Wurms of Blearmouth

Despite the fact tha
Rakib_khan

First things first, I got this book from NetGalley, so thank you netgalley and Tor Books for this opportunity.
So what do you get when you mix an epic fantasy setting with dark humor? You get something like this novel, which can also be perceived as the authors attempt at poking some fun at the newly famous genre of grimdark. This short work is full of interesting characters and witty humorous dialogue accompanied by a crazy and violent sense of humor which will surely entertain anyone who can st...more
Fantasy Literature
The Wurms of Blearmouth is the fifth novella by Steven Erikson centered on his gloriously disruptive pair of "evil sorcerers" Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, along with their by-now-relatively-stoic servant Emancipator Reese. As with the prior four, this is a far lighter tale than his lengthy, dense, and often deeply serious MALAZAN series. The BAUCHELAIN AND BROACH tales are more comic, far shorter, with far fewer moments of Erikson's trademark "philosphophizing" (though fewer does not m...more
Jasper
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

During the time that Steven Erikson was writing his massive ten volume series Malazan Empire of the Fall, he also wrote several short stories that featured the peculiar duo of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. For many they don't need an introduction, but for those that aren't familiar with them: Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are both one half of an entity known a Nehemoth and they are both necromancers... one other person that is not to b...more
Tim
Jul 13, 2014 Tim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
I was provided and advance copy by Tor.

Pretty even 3/5 for me.

I've never read anything from this series nor from this author, but I did go into this fairly excited and optimistic. I like dark humor... A lot. But this felt... Ugh... He was just trying far too hard to be dark. It felt so forced and over the top. So much so that the humor passed the funny point and became dumb. There were many cases of this, but there was enough for me to enjoy.

There were soooo many characters crammed into this 200...more
Wayne McCoy
'The Wurms of Blearmouth' by Steven Erikson is my first foray into the world of Malazan and I found it to be a delightful surprise. It was weird and funny and kept me turning pages and laughing.

It all takes place in and around the village of Spendrugle and it's luckless inhabitants. There's a shipwreck off the coast and the villagers want to loot it, but the people from the ship are a violent and nasty sort. Chief among these is Korbal Broach, Bauchelain and their manservant Emancipor Reese, aka...more
Blodeuedd Finland
I do confess that I have never read an Erikson book, but I always wanted to try one. Now, well I did not exactly start at the beginning. And I have no idea what Bachelain and Korbal have been up to before, but that does not matter. I never felt lost. I just walked into an adventure that began and ended in this novella.

How to even explain this? It's like Pratchett meets Gormenghast meets something very dark (I have not read those Grim authors yet so I can't compare). There is dark dry humour, peo...more
Search
This one did not have the charm of the first three novellas. The parts featuring Bauchelain, Korbal and Mancy were quite entertaining but otherwise it was mostly 'meh'.

And yes the Spilgit parts were good too. So overall not too bad but I was expecting better.
Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are horrible, horrible people: necromancers, murderers, and ne're-do-wells. Which means that it is amusing to spend the length of a short novel in their company, especially since they always seem to run into people who are even more despicable, and therefore deserving of their tenderest ministrations. (Good grief! I'm starting to sound like one of them.) This is the third installment in the series, and might be a good entry point to the world of Malazan for those who...more
Ron
Bauchelain, Korbal Broach, and Emancipor Reese ended up shipwrecked on the beach below the castle of Lord Fangatooth Claw the Render. Many others follow. Between the crazies living in Blearmouth and those following our stout companions, plenty of mayhem ensues. Between the lizard cat, the cooking, the iron golems, the tax collector, etc. there is plenty to follow in this short novella. You will enjoy if you have been reading this series, but this is not a place to start the series. The ending le...more
David
The Wurms of Blearmouth - the fifth tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach - not only follows the events of Blood Follows (#1) and The Lees of Laughter's End (#3) it also paves the way for Crack'd Pot Trail (#4), connecting both storylines.

I really liked the cliffhangar ending of Lees, having it end on just ANOTHER escalation was pretty fitting. So I was glad that Wurms didn't pick up right there but a couple of hours? later (don't worry: we eventually learn what has happened as the plot progresse...more
Lee Dunning
I'm a huge Steven Erikson fan, and I adore his stories involving Bauchelain and Korbal Broach - a demonologist and necromancer (and one cannot forget their manservant Emancipor Reese). The tales involving these three are always full of dark humor and a high body count. Like all of Erikson's stories there is a lot of banter between characters, and creative use of language. In some of Mr. Erikson's more serious works this can get pedantic with characters waxing philosophical. As much as I love his...more
Jenn S.
Well written and well edited with unique nicely fleshed out characters and a plot that keeps your interest. Even in this shorter read I was entertained and enjoyed reading. I like the choice of wording Erikson uses. This makes the read so much more enjoyable. The plot was very well handled with good flow. I'm very satisfied with this book and would recommend this to all fantasy fans as well as his other books. I received a free copy of this through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jamie Barrows
Dark violent humor at it's best. Erikson has a way of making you cheer for some of the most despicable characters in fiction. The dark probably insane sorcerers Bauchelain and Korbal Broach crash land in a small kingdom run by a petty tyrant. They quickly become embroiled in the various struggles of the inhabitants.
Nick
A Nice little story that continues after the first 3 rather than after Crack'd pot trail which is a bit odd. Back to the good old style and actually featuring the main characters of the series so dont worry Steve we wont have to eat you just yet.

An enjoyable short story but as with all in this series there seems to be no overarching plot just random little adventures.
John Stutts
Erikson's dry humor in the midst of the grotesque. The horror is off-putting, but I find myself smiling two sentences later. How I can switch from one to the other so quickly is also off-putting, but in the best way. Erikson's is clever like no other author I've read.
Ryan
More of Erikson's humor and black wit, mixed with an enjoyably twisting story. Not quite as strong as Crack'd Pot Trail, but another good entry from one of my favorite fantasy authors.
Jonathan Gibson
I enjoyed this one. I was laughing out loud almost every page. It's really funny, and Erikson's imagination is on full display. Each character is strange and hilarious in a distinct way. Highly recommended.
Burgoo
The most hilarious grimdark novel I've ever read!

Robert Bose
I liked it, but not as much as the previous stories. The huge cast was good but I was really hoping for a lot more of Bauchelain and Korbal.
Saint Lart
If Steve Erikson wrote enough books in the world of Malazan, I would be happy to read nothing else.
Pedro Marroquín
Mejor que el anterior, pero bastante malo
Ray Kohler
A quick, easy, silly read.
Tanya
Morbidly hilarious! The "pinky stuff" was priceless, I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. Not sure which duo I like more; Bauchelain and Korbal Broach or Bugg and Tehol Beddict.
Todd Campbell
Another fantastic Bauchelain & Korbal Broach tale from the master, Steven Erikson. After Crack'd Pot Trail this is a return to the more usual format with B and KB more involved in the tale as chaos engulfs a small town at which they find themselves. Most highly recommended - Erikson't wit and humour in this is spot on. Bring on more K & KB tales please Mr Erikson!
Chris
A return to formula for this side series. Bauchelain & Korbal Broach stumble into town. Erikson efficiently brings in a abnormally large cast of characters for a novella this small. Most everyone dies amid puerile hijinks and Bauchelain & Korbal Broach stumble out of town.
Megan
Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are not my favorite characters in Erikson's books, but they seem to be his. The series has some of his best writing and never fails to amaze me and keep my total attention.
  • Blood and Bone (Malazan Empire #5)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • All Those Vanished Engines
  • The One-Eyed Man: A Fugue, with Winds and Accompaniment
  • The Dark of Deep Below (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #2)
  • War Master's Gate (Shadows of the Apt, #9)
  • Port of Shadows (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #11)
  • The Dark Between the Stars
  • Forsworn (The Powder Mage, #0.2)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • The Straits of Galahesh (Lays of Anuskaya, #2)
  • Shadow's Master (Shadow Saga, #3)
  • Steles of the Sky (Eternal Sky, #3)
  • The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga, #1)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the on-going series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

More about Steven Erikson...
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3) House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4) The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)