Start by marking “The Blue Umbrella” as Want to Read:
The Blue Umbrella

The Blue Umbrella

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,132 ratings  ·  66 reviews
'The umbrella was like a flower, a great blue flower that had sprung up on the dry brown hillside.'

In exchange for her lucky leopard's claw pendant, Binya acquires a beautiful blue umbrella that makes her the envy of everyone in the village, especially Ram Bharosa, the shopkeeper. It is the prettiest umbrella in the whole village and she carries it everywhere she goes.

Published by Rupa Publications (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Umbrella, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ishita Mangla the main characters of this book are -
biniya- owner of the umbrella
ram bharosa- the shopkeeper
rajaram- the shopkeeper's worker
2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had A Love Story.. by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiRevolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat
Indian Books - Fiction
240th out of 718 books — 2,023 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBlack Beauty by Anna SewellThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
274th out of 580 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

I got the book from Ruskin bond himself.. Autographed.. On its launch in dehradoon. I was 11 then..I teasured it ..still do. The book is simply realistic and set in the place i was grown up.
Apr 12, 2011 Somdutta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children and Adults who would love to read children's fiction
Shelves: ruskin-bond
This is a children's fiction. It has a simple story about a girl name Binny and her love of a blue silk umbrella which she spots and obtains it from some picnickers in exchange for a necklace which had a leopard's claw which was considered as good luck. The adults of the village are jealous of her. Children adore and appreciate her umbrella and she gives it to them to hold. The story describes, how happy Binny is with her umbrella which she never closes. Ram Bharosa owns a shop in Binny's villag ...more
Ah! There is nothing much I want to say about this one. A Simple and pretty thing.
I love this of the reasons is that it is based on when I read it I feel a bit similar to the characters.....their behaviour and the kind of fun they have together.....coz i have grown up in this i know all this stuffs....
well,,...its a very sweet story....those who are Mr. Bond's fans......u must read this...its a short but yet nice story...
Mandeep Kapoor
The book is about a young village girl, who is total love with her magnificent, beautiful, and ye-pleasing blue colored umbrella, and soon becomes the topic of discussion for the entire village. An old man, who cons children from their belongings gets fascinated with the blue umbrella, and is extremely jealous, from the fact that the young girl is getting all the attention, just because of that umbrella. Sometimes, in life, how do small things effect us emotionally, and how things changes when t ...more
A very short story, simple story line. Meant for kids but nothing stops me from enjoying it.
Saumya L
Ruskin Bond is undoubtedly a name that emerges in our minds when we think about slow, subtle and mesmerizingly simple books to read on a lazy afternoon. Ruskin Bond makes sure to enthrall his readers by his beautiful descriptions of the nuances of the Indian subcontinent, with a slow but very engaging storyline. The Blue Umbrella is not any different.
Set in a typical Indian village, this novella tells a simple story of a village girl by the name Binya, and her escapades with a pretty blue umbre
Namitha Varma
A Little Princess in fewer pages. Binya is an endearing character and the blue umbrella I'd indeed the most beautiful thing. Bond has created a memorable story in the simple background of a mountain village and a few commonplace characters. His lyrical depiction of common village life is enchanting.
Deepika Ramesh
Heartwarming. And, I shouldn't be surprised for it was Bond after all. :)
Naman Mukesh Chaudhary
A heart warming tale of some expected normal events in the shadow of the most humane emotions; joy, jealousy, sorrow and love. The charm of hills and the innocence of childhood,with it Mr.Bond brews the perfect stage for a rusty tale. young and old, sure to be loved by all.
Krishanth Arunasalam
I finished this book very quickly, opened thought about it for a few minutes and gave it a rating 3. (Day over)

The next day, when I woke up, there was a longing, some urge to be in a place which clearly seemed to be like Binya's surrounding in the book. I've had this feeling of re-living the reading experience very few times and this is one of those times.

It's a kid's book, but a lot of human behavior is described plainly. How a little girl becomes the better person by giving up h
2015 Reading Challenge #30. Un libro publicado el año que naciste
Awesome and simple read :)
Pranjal Vashishtha
Ruskin is contemporary to R.K. Naraynan when it comes to the local stories which lives with you for very long, you can just fall in love with Binya's innocence, Bijju's brotherly love, Neelu & Gauri's carefreeness & hate Rambharosa for half time & feel pity for him in the second half. But, you can't take your eyes away from this masterpiece.Ruskin Bond
Perfect book for a sluggish afternoon.Binya wins the readers’ heart by her disarming innocence and selfless deeds. The story reminds us that we should always be in touch with the child present inside all of us. Ruskin Bond is mostly known for his children’s books but I believe we adults can also learn a lot from his stories.
The story is about such a simple thing as an umbrella, yet it displays various emotions. Simple story but some profound thoughts. I watched the movie based on this book - that too was made quite well. And then it is Ruskin Bond's writing which makes one visualize the setting of the story so nicely.
Aug 09, 2015 Mukti added it
It's a Bond classic. It's a story that would melt the hardest of hearts. I also realised those kind of people and time don't exist anymore. I think I will find Binya whenever I visit the mountains Garhwal.
Sarthak Sharma
This was the first English novel I read, I still remember some of the details vividly even though I read it back in 1997 when I was in grade 5. I want to read it again :D
Arjun Arjuna
The first novel I read. Binya, her blue umbrella and a village.This is why I love Ruskin Bond, he tells simple stories that strikes the right chord.
I really liked the way Binya rescue Ram Bharosa by providing him an opportunity to correct his mistake. It made me a little wiser.
Seshadri Koushik
The Blue Umbrella is a slightly boring story in which the main character, Binya falls into trouble but recovers.
Simple, enjoyable book with innocent characters and much noble deeds!..can't wait to read it out to my kid:).
Priyambada Choudhury
Gurmehar Karwal
Jun 27, 2015 Gurmehar Karwal added it
Shelves: mehar
this is a very very nice book and the most interesting book i have ever read .
Read it today
Only one thing to say: worst book ever written
Seenu S.
5 stars, cz The Blue Umbrella is such a cute story from the hills :) Loved it.
Jul 16, 2014 Pratibhabakshi marked it as to-read
Shelves: blue-umbrela
i guess its is an amazing story ....and would like to read more books lyk dis
A Ruskin Bond story set in the hills is always a pleasure to read!
  • Amul's India: Based On 50 Years of Amul Advertising
  • Panchatantra
  • Genealogía de una bruja
  • Home
  • Those Small Lil' Things In Life And Love
  • चंद्रकांता (Chandrakanta, #1)
  • The Last Leaf
  • কাবুলিওয়ালা
  • The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium
  • Mahashweta
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi
More about Ruskin Bond...