Start by marking “The Blue Umbrella” as Want to Read:
The Blue Umbrella

The Blue Umbrella

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  872 ratings  ·  45 reviews
'The umbrella was like a flower, a great blue flower that had sprung up on the dry brown hillside.'

In exchange for her lucky leopard's claw pendant, Binya acquires a beautiful blue umbrella that makes her the envy of everyone in the village, especially Ram Bharosa, the shopkeeper. It is the prettiest umbrella in the whole village and she carries it everywhere she goes.

The
Published by Rupa Publications (first published 1980)

Niharika
I got the book from Ruskin bond himself.. Autographed.. On its launch in dehradoon. I was 11 then..I teasured it ..still do. The book is simply realistic and set in the place i was grown up.
Somdutta
Apr 12, 2011 Somdutta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children and Adults who would love to read children's fiction
Shelves: ruskin-bond
This is a children's fiction. It has a simple story about a girl name Binny and her love of a blue silk umbrella which she spots and obtains it from some picnickers in exchange for a necklace which had a leopard's claw which was considered as good luck. The adults of the village are jealous of her. Children adore and appreciate her umbrella and she gives it to them to hold. The story describes, how happy Binny is with her umbrella which she never closes. Ram Bharosa owns a shop in Binny's villag ...more
Moitreyi
I love this story....one of the reasons is that it is based on indians.....so when I read it I feel a bit similar to the characters.....their behaviour and the kind of fun they have together.....coz i have grown up in this place....so i know all this stuffs....
well,,...its a very sweet story....those who are Mr. Bond's fans......u must read this...its a short but yet nice story...
Mandeep Kapoor
The book is about a young village girl, who is total love with her magnificent, beautiful, and ye-pleasing blue colored umbrella, and soon becomes the topic of discussion for the entire village. An old man, who cons children from their belongings gets fascinated with the blue umbrella, and is extremely jealous, from the fact that the young girl is getting all the attention, just because of that umbrella. Sometimes, in life, how do small things effect us emotionally, and how things changes when t ...more
Saumya L
Ruskin Bond is undoubtedly a name that emerges in our minds when we think about slow, subtle and mesmerizingly simple books to read on a lazy afternoon. Ruskin Bond makes sure to enthrall his readers by his beautiful descriptions of the nuances of the Indian subcontinent, with a slow but very engaging storyline. The Blue Umbrella is not any different.
Set in a typical Indian village, this novella tells a simple story of a village girl by the name Binya, and her escapades with a pretty blue umbre
Krishanth Arunasalam
I finished this book very quickly, opened goodreads.com thought about it for a few minutes and gave it a rating 3. (Day over)

The next day, when I woke up, there was a longing, some urge to be in a place which clearly seemed to be like Binya's surrounding in the book. I've had this feeling of re-living the reading experience very few times and this is one of those times.

It's a kid's book, but a lot of human behavior is described plainly. How a little girl becomes the better person by giving up h
Sugandha
Perfect book for a sluggish afternoon.Binya wins the readers’ heart by her disarming innocence and selfless deeds. The story reminds us that we should always be in touch with the child present inside all of us. Ruskin Bond is mostly known for his children’s books but I believe we adults can also learn a lot from his stories.
Jyoti
The story is about such a simple thing as an umbrella, yet it displays various emotions. Simple story but some profound thoughts. I watched the movie based on this book - that too was made quite well. And then it is Ruskin Bond's writing which makes one visualize the setting of the story so nicely.
Naman Chaudhary
A heart warming tale of some expected normal events in the shadow of the most humane emotions; joy, jealousy, sorrow and love. The charm of hills and the innocence of childhood,with it Mr.Bond brews the perfect stage for a rusty tale. young and old, sure to be loved by all.
Jitendra
I really liked the way Binya rescue Ram Bharosa by providing him an opportunity to correct his mistake. It made me a little wiser.
Tina
Simple, enjoyable book with innocent characters and much noble deeds!..can't wait to read it out to my kid:).
Priyambada Choudhury
Lavanya
Read it today
Only one thing to say: worst book ever written
Seenu S.
5 stars, cz The Blue Umbrella is such a cute story from the hills :) Loved it.
Pratibhabakshi
Jul 16, 2014 Pratibhabakshi marked it as to-read
Shelves: blue-umbrela
i guess its is an amazing story ....and would like to read more books lyk dis
Rakesh
You can relate to Ruskin's characters so well as they come out alive. Short speed read that transports you to the unspoilt Garhwal Himaliays and its innocent villagers.
Ankit
I want to read this book because I am a fan of Ruskin Bond.
Pooja T
Such a lovely and heart-warming read!
Sapna Saini
A Good Story to tell Children.
Megha
Sep 03, 2014 Megha added it
Its a sweet short story.
Navneet
Ajanala karakul,kaka ka
Pavan Daxini
Beautiful story.
Thejaswi V
It is a very nice book for children
Ananya Jain
Just the discription of the beauty of the mountains...makes us want more. This is a book revolving around the life of binya a girl of small town who saw a beautiful blue umbrella and gives away her leopard locket for the umbrella. That's a sort of luxury in the town. Well i wont reveal anymore..afterall i'm not here to right the summary of the book.
Pradeep Badatiya
Perfect setting, good characterization, great narration - 'The Blue Umbrella' is a book for every child, every adolescent and every elder to read. Though it is a children's story, it gives a message to every individual. It is a must for every age group and every individual.
Socrates Chinniah
Very simple and enjoyable book . The story is meant for kids, but that should not stop any grown ups from enjoying the book . For a book the story is very short but good none the less . Waiting to tell the story to my kid :) who would enjoy it more .
Manjistha
simple but elegant stories about north india, sweet detailing of nature , north indian village and villagers. Being a village girl I feel a special bond with this Ruskin Bond's classic story. It gives a lesson to everyone.
  • Amul's India: Based On 50 Years of Amul Advertising
  • The Golden Fortress
  • The Apple Cart
  • Panchatantra
  • Half a Rupee Stories
  • Chandrakanta (Chandrakanta, #1)
  • Malgudi Schooldays: The Adventures Of Swami And His Friends
  • If It’s Monday It Must Be Madurai: A Conducted Tour of India
  • Home
  • Mahashweta
  • Another Man's Wife and Other Stories
  • You're A Good Friend, Noddy! (Noddy Library)
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent.He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.
He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957.
Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establish
More about Ruskin Bond...
The Room on the Roof Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories The Best of Ruskin Bond Delhi Is Not Far Rusty, the Boy from the Hills