The Blue Umbrella

The Blue Umbrella

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  32 reviews
'The umbrella was like a flower, a great blue flower that had sprung up on the dry brown hillside.'

In exchange for her lucky leopard's claw pendant, Binya acquires a beautiful blue umbrella that makes her the envy of everyone in the village, especially Ram Bharosa, the shopkeeper. It is the prettiest umbrella in the whole village and she carries it everywhere she goes.

The...more
Published by Rupa Publications (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Umbrella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Umbrella

Niharika
I got the book from Ruskin bond himself.. Autographed.. On its launch in dehradoon. I was 11 then..I teasured it ..still do. The book is simply realistic and set in the place i was grown up.
Somdutta
Apr 12, 2011 Somdutta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children and Adults who would love to read children's fiction
Shelves: ruskin-bond
This is a children's fiction. It has a simple story about a girl name Binny and her love of a blue silk umbrella which she spots and obtains it from some picnickers in exchange for a necklace which had a leopard's claw which was considered as good luck. The adults of the village are jealous of her. Children adore and appreciate her umbrella and she gives it to them to hold. The story describes, how happy Binny is with her umbrella which she never closes. Ram Bharosa owns a shop in Binny's villag...more
Melissa
I love this story....one of the reasons is that it is based on indians.....so when I read it I feel a bit similar to the characters.....their behaviour and the kind of fun they have together.....coz i have grown up in this place....so i know all this stuffs....
well,,...its a very sweet story....those who are Mr. Bond's fans......u must read this...its a short but yet nice story...
Mandeep Kapoor
The book is about a young village girl, who is total love with her magnificent, beautiful, and ye-pleasing blue colored umbrella, and soon becomes the topic of discussion for the entire village. An old man, who cons children from their belongings gets fascinated with the blue umbrella, and is extremely jealous, from the fact that the young girl is getting all the attention, just because of that umbrella. Sometimes, in life, how do small things effect us emotionally, and how things changes when t...more
Krishanth Arunasalam
I finished this book very quickly, opened goodreads.com thought about it for a few minutes and gave it a rating 3. (Day over)

The next day, when I woke up, there was a longing, some urge to be in a place which clearly seemed to be like Binya's surrounding in the book. I've had this feeling of re-living the reading experience very few times and this is one of those times.

It's a kid's book, but a lot of human behavior is described plainly. How a little girl becomes the better person by giving up h...more
Jitendra
I really liked the way Binya rescue Ram Bharosa by providing him an opportunity to correct his mistake. It made me a little wiser.
Tina
Simple, enjoyable book with innocent characters and much noble deeds!..can't wait to read it out to my kid:).
Priyambada Choudhury
A heart warming tale of some expected normal events in the shadow of the most humane emotions; joy, jealousy, sorrow and love. The charm of hills and the innocence of childhood,with it Mr.Bond brews the perfect stage for a rusty tale. young and old, sure to be loved by all.
Pratibhabakshi
Jul 16, 2014 Pratibhabakshi marked it as to-read
Shelves: blue-umbrela
i guess its is an amazing story ....and would like to read more books lyk dis
Rakesh
You can relate to Ruskin's characters so well as they come out alive. Short speed read that transports you to the unspoilt Garhwal Himaliays and its innocent villagers.
Ankit
I want to read this book because I am a fan of Ruskin Bond.
Sapna Saini
A Good Story to tell Children.
Navneet
Ajanala karakul,kaka ka
Pavan Daxini
Beautiful story.
Pradeep Badatiya
Perfect setting, good characterization, great narration - 'The Blue Umbrella' is a book for every child, every adolescent and every elder to read. Though it is a children's story, it gives a message to every individual. It is a must for every age group and every individual.
Socrates Chinniah
Very simple and enjoyable book . The story is meant for kids, but that should not stop any grown ups from enjoying the book . For a book the story is very short but good none the less . Waiting to tell the story to my kid :) who would enjoy it more .
Manjistha
simple but elegant stories about north india, sweet detailing of nature , north indian village and villagers. Being a village girl I feel a special bond with this Ruskin Bond's classic story. It gives a lesson to everyone.
Krubha
A very short story, simple story line. Meant for kids but nothing stops me from enjoying it.
Ila
I read it to teach it. But that didn't stop me from smiling at its simple happy ending :)
Sundatta
a very short and simple read that leaves you all warm inside ... ruskin bond style :)
Palak
it is an fantastic book . i learn a moral that don't be greedy
Yashyadav
cxvjiodsfyuguidwfyusftoksdyfiodfgvyiudtrdydftdrsdhsudxsedusrdyus8sfy
Serah
Dec 23, 2013 Serah marked it as to-read
nice
Alpa
very simple story about very simple girl. i loved it.
Anish Antony
A simple and good story that you can finish at a stretch.
Sree
Feb 27, 2013 Sree added it
Read a simplified version,pretty good read!
Keerthana
i want to read the book of blue umberlla

Vaishno
IT IS GOOD AND I THINK THAT I
  • The Golden Fortress
  • Panchatantra
  • Half a Rupee Stories
  • Just Married, Please Excuse
  • Those Small Lil' Things In Life And Love
  • Chandrakanta (Chandrakanta, #1)
  • Malgudi Schooldays: The Adventures Of Swami And His Friends
  • The Inscrutable Americans
  • Indulekha
  • Short Stories From Rabindranath Tagore
  • Pinjar
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent.He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.
He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957.
Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establish...more
More about Ruskin Bond...
The Room on the Roof Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories The Best of Ruskin Bond Delhi Is Not Far Rusty, the Boy from the Hills