Start by marking “The Blue Umbrella” as Want to Read:
The Blue Umbrella

The Blue Umbrella

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,253 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
'The umbrella was like a flower, a great blue flower that had sprung up on the dry brown hillside.'

In exchange for her lucky leopard's claw pendant, Binya acquires a beautiful blue umbrella that makes her the envy of everyone in the village, especially Ram Bharosa, the shopkeeper. It is the prettiest umbrella in the whole village and she carries it everywhere she goes.

The
Published by Rupa Publications (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Umbrella, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ishita Mangla the main characters of this book are -
biniya- owner of the umbrella
ram bharosa- the shopkeeper
rajaram- the shopkeeper's worker
2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had A Love Story.. by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiRevolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat
Indian Books - Fiction
194th out of 730 books — 2,070 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBlack Beauty by Anna SewellThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
BOOKS WITH 'COLORFUL' TITLES
274th out of 580 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Niharika
Feb 08, 2013 Niharika rated it it was amazing
I got the book from Ruskin bond himself.. Autographed.. On its launch in dehradoon. I was 11 then..I teasured it ..still do. The book is simply realistic and set in the place i was grown up.
Somdutta
Apr 12, 2011 Somdutta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and Adults who would love to read children's fiction
Shelves: ruskin-bond
This is a children's fiction. It has a simple story about a girl name Binny and her love of a blue silk umbrella which she spots and obtains it from some picnickers in exchange for a necklace which had a leopard's claw which was considered as good luck. The adults of the village are jealous of her. Children adore and appreciate her umbrella and she gives it to them to hold. The story describes, how happy Binny is with her umbrella which she never closes. Ram Bharosa owns a shop in Binny's villag ...more
Sankrutyayan
Jul 29, 2015 Sankrutyayan rated it really liked it
Ah! There is nothing much I want to say about this one. A Simple and pretty thing.
Moitreyi
Jun 08, 2012 Moitreyi rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-novels
I love this story....one of the reasons is that it is based on indians.....so when I read it I feel a bit similar to the characters.....their behaviour and the kind of fun they have together.....coz i have grown up in this place....so i know all this stuffs....
well,,...its a very sweet story....those who are Mr. Bond's fans......u must read this...its a short but yet nice story...
Mandeep Kapoor
Jun 19, 2014 Mandeep Kapoor rated it really liked it
The book is about a young village girl, who is total love with her magnificent, beautiful, and ye-pleasing blue colored umbrella, and soon becomes the topic of discussion for the entire village. An old man, who cons children from their belongings gets fascinated with the blue umbrella, and is extremely jealous, from the fact that the young girl is getting all the attention, just because of that umbrella. Sometimes, in life, how do small things effect us emotionally, and how things changes when t ...more
Krubha
Aug 17, 2012 Krubha rated it it was amazing
A very short story, simple story line. Meant for kids but nothing stops me from enjoying it.
Saumya L
Dec 20, 2014 Saumya L rated it it was amazing
Ruskin Bond is undoubtedly a name that emerges in our minds when we think about slow, subtle and mesmerizingly simple books to read on a lazy afternoon. Ruskin Bond makes sure to enthrall his readers by his beautiful descriptions of the nuances of the Indian subcontinent, with a slow but very engaging storyline. The Blue Umbrella is not any different.
Set in a typical Indian village, this novella tells a simple story of a village girl by the name Binya, and her escapades with a pretty blue umbre
Nishant Ranjan
Jul 30, 2013 Nishant Ranjan rated it did not like it
boring
Krishanth
May 18, 2014 Krishanth rated it it was amazing
I finished this book very quickly, opened goodreads.com thought about it for a few minutes and gave it a rating 3. (Day over)

The next day, when I woke up, there was a longing, some urge to be in a place which clearly seemed to be like Binya's surrounding in the book. I've had this feeling of re-living the reading experience very few times and this is one of those times.

It's a kid's book, but a lot of human behavior is described plainly. How a little girl becomes the better person by giving up h
Namitha Varma
Jul 16, 2015 Namitha Varma rated it it was amazing
A Little Princess in fewer pages. Binya is an endearing character and the blue umbrella I'd indeed the most beautiful thing. Bond has created a memorable story in the simple background of a mountain village and a few commonplace characters. His lyrical depiction of common village life is enchanting.
Dhivya Balaji
Jan 10, 2016 Dhivya Balaji rated it it was amazing
FIRST IMPRESSION:

When I received this book via Amazon today evening, I was surprised by the light weight. The package seemed to contain nothing but a small handbook. And only after checking the bill and opening the parcel did I convince myself that it was indeed the right book. It was so thin and small, true to the name of being a 'Children's book'.

Naturally, the cover was a huge attraction and it is my first actual own Ruskin Bond book. (Ignoring the hand me downs and the second hand copies pu
Deepika Ramesh
Nov 21, 2015 Deepika Ramesh rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming. And, I shouldn't be surprised for it was Bond after all. :)
Naman Mukesh Chaudhary
Oct 28, 2014 Naman Mukesh Chaudhary rated it really liked it
A heart warming tale of some expected normal events in the shadow of the most humane emotions; joy, jealousy, sorrow and love. The charm of hills and the innocence of childhood,with it Mr.Bond brews the perfect stage for a rusty tale. young and old, sure to be loved by all.
Andrea
2015 Reading Challenge #30. Un libro publicado el año que naciste
Samyuktha
Sep 14, 2015 Samyuktha rated it it was amazing
Awesome and simple read :)
Pranjal Vashishtha
Aug 28, 2015 Pranjal Vashishtha rated it it was amazing
Ruskin is contemporary to R.K. Naraynan when it comes to the local stories which lives with you for very long, you can just fall in love with Binya's innocence, Bijju's brotherly love, Neelu & Gauri's carefreeness & hate Rambharosa for half time & feel pity for him in the second half. But, you can't take your eyes away from this masterpiece.Ruskin Bond
Ankur Sharma
For me one of the finest movie made by Vishal Bharadwaj was screen adaptation of "The Blue Umbrella " by Ruskin Bond. Little did I know that the book is even better (as it usually the case). Ruskin Bond ability to squeeze infinite emotions in so few words is amazingly beautiful! The book also nostalgically reminded me of my childhood stories woven by my mother who grew up in Mussoorie.
Sugandha
Jan 27, 2015 Sugandha rated it really liked it
Perfect book for a sluggish afternoon.Binya wins the readers’ heart by her disarming innocence and selfless deeds. The story reminds us that we should always be in touch with the child present inside all of us. Ruskin Bond is mostly known for his children’s books but I believe we adults can also learn a lot from his stories.
Jyoti
Jan 16, 2015 Jyoti rated it really liked it
The story is about such a simple thing as an umbrella, yet it displays various emotions. Simple story but some profound thoughts. I watched the movie based on this book - that too was made quite well. And then it is Ruskin Bond's writing which makes one visualize the setting of the story so nicely.
Ruku
Dec 30, 2015 Ruku rated it it was amazing
You start reading - you start having visions. The way Ruskin Bond writes., man!! I could never put down a book he wrote once I picked it up and it is the same with this one. Beautiful, Simple & Warm.
I will read it again & again.
Mukti
Aug 09, 2015 Mukti added it
It's a Bond classic. It's a story that would melt the hardest of hearts. I also realised those kind of people and time don't exist anymore. I think I will find Binya whenever I visit the mountains Garhwal.
Sarthak Sharma
Jul 10, 2015 Sarthak Sharma rated it it was amazing
This was the first English novel I read, I still remember some of the details vividly even though I read it back in 1997 when I was in grade 5. I want to read it again :D
Nidhi
Jan 08, 2016 Nidhi rated it it was amazing
A simple ending, perhaps practically impossible in real world. How many versions of this book are there (number of pages is varying too much)?
Arjun Arjuna
Sep 10, 2015 Arjun Arjuna rated it really liked it
The first novel I read. Binya, her blue umbrella and a village.This is why I love Ruskin Bond, he tells simple stories that strikes the right chord.
Jitendra
Jul 28, 2014 Jitendra rated it really liked it
I really liked the way Binya rescue Ram Bharosa by providing him an opportunity to correct his mistake. It made me a little wiser.
Seshadri Koushik
Nov 17, 2015 Seshadri Koushik rated it liked it
The Blue Umbrella is a slightly boring story in which the main character, Binya falls into trouble but recovers.
Tina
Jun 08, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
Simple, enjoyable book with innocent characters and much noble deeds!..can't wait to read it out to my kid:).
Priyambada Choudhury
Jan 17, 2014 Priyambada Choudhury rated it really liked it
Gurmehar Karwal
Jun 27, 2015 Gurmehar Karwal added it
Shelves: mehar
this is a very very nice book and the most interesting book i have ever read .
  • Amul's India: Based On 50 Years of Amul Advertising
  • কাবুলিওয়ালা
  • The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium
  • Beastly Tales from Here and There
  • Those Small Lil' Things In Life And Love
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi
More about Ruskin Bond...