Start by marking “How to Live with a Calculating Cat” as Want to Read:
How to Live with a Calculating Cat

How to Live with a Calculating Cat

Cats are a proud lot, and the pages of history overflow with tales of their amazing deeds. They're aloof, independent, calculating -- clever little thinkers that usually wind up owning their owners. You can't outwit the modern, up-to-date house cat, Felis domestica calculata. But at least you can learn to hold your own. Thousands of cat persons have -- with the estimable a ...more
Paperback
Published by Pocket Books (first published December 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about How to Live with a Calculating Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Live with a Calculating Cat

Jan-Maat
This is a useful and practical book about cats. Pointing out that cats come in manyshapes and sizes, handy advice on how one goes about acquiring acat and how not to administer themvitamins, other topics illustrated in this handy guide: the cat who ran its house as a series of toll booths and the history of cat-human relations. Good for a chuckle or three.

Daavid
Mar 20, 2017 Daavid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes/loves cats
A good and simple book on what to expect from cats in a house. Funny at places, with humorous cartoons. Although no puss owns me yet, i did enjoy reading the book. :)
[Name Redacted]

First Read: 1986/1987?
Second Read: January 10, 2015 - January 11, 2015.
Bella Paglia
I really like this book!!!
Jessica
Jul 17, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
This was a cute, extremely witty book on the ins and outs of cat behavior. Hilarious and so true!
booklady
Jul 08, 2008 booklady rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to booklady by: Marcelle
Excellent! Loved it!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I took my favorite 88 year-old friend out to lunch today and she had this book laying on her coffeetable. I begged her to borrow it! I'll be up tonight until I finish it! It's absolutely hilarious and adorable. It was first published in 1962 and my friend's copy is an original edition. I have to get my own copy! My dear husband says he remembers reading it as a kid. It'
Zachary
Dec 26, 2012 Zachary rated it it was ok
cute, not great. The writer's dry tone was interesting reflection of 60s humor ... and very Dave Barry-ish.

Amusing quote:
"If you recklessly decide to give your cat a bath, change your mind and don't. If you still insist ... get some soap ..., draw a tub of water brought carefully up to cat-body temperature, a towel or two, iodine, sutures, gauze, a bottle of brandy, and a pair of chain mail gauntlets. You might also notify your next of kin if you are the type to plan ahead."
Willow
Dec 29, 2013 Willow rated it it was amazing
I adore Eric Gurney. I think he's a hoot! Gilbert will always be my special favorite though.
O
Jul 26, 2014 O rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chyba zbyt wiele oczekiwałam. Taka książeczka do przeczytania raz. Śmieszna tylko momentami. Zawiera czarno-białe obrazki. Polecam przeczytać w wersji papierowej, ponieważ w podczas czytania jednej części przydaje się możliwość szybkiego zerknięcia na poprzednie strony. Jednak nie uważam, że jest to pozycja, którą warto trzymać na swojej półce (chociaż tytuł mi się podoba ;) - idealnym wyjściem jest wypożyczenie na chwilę. :)

(ebook)
Ellice
May 22, 2014 Ellice rated it really liked it
Cat literature seems to be its own healthy genre these days, but it's good to know that examples such as this book showed up as early as the '60s. This is a cute and amusing "guidebook" to living with cats that will ring true to cat lovers. The pen-and-ink illustrations are well-done and funny. A light, quick, witty read for cat people.
Catsalive
Jul 29, 2008 Catsalive rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
Good fun.

back cover:
Cats are a proud lot. The pages of history overflow with their historic deed. They're aloof, independent... calculating, clever little thinkers who usually end up owning their owners. You can't outwit them... but at least you can learn to hold your own.
EvilNick
May 13, 2008 EvilNick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when i was about 5, and is probably the book tht first got me really interested in comics. the illustration style was so wonderful, it made me think that comic books could be that well drawn (at the time, they weren't in my opinion).
Aside from that, it is funny and charming
Whispring
Jul 31, 2014 Whispring rated it liked it
pretty cute and i liked the pictures but it did not reach the level of cleverness it was obviously aiming for.
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
This book tries too hard to be clever and manages to cover a topic with lots of humor potential without being at all funny.
David
Dec 07, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Another possibility. I read this book in the sixties. It's more a series of cartoons, and very witty. I lent it to a friend and never got it back.
Jean Nicholson
Jun 17, 2016 Jean Nicholson rated it really liked it
i loved this book in the '60s and am enjoying it once again. I found it in the back of the bookcase I'm clearing out. No, I'm not parting with it - it's such a good read & makes me smile a lot.
Theut
Jul 18, 2013 Theut rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vignette che ogni tanto strappano un sorriso... testo (poco) quasi sempre da dimenticare. Non sono stata ben consigliata :P
Barbara Ab
Un simpatico libro sui gatti solo per gattofili. Il testo non è buono, probabilmente tradotto male, ma le vignette sono simpatiche.
Emelie Vandenberg
Emelie Vandenberg rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Chevalier_de_fortune
Chevalier_de_fortune rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Maryam
Maryam rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Leela4
Leela4 rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2017
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2010
Skladstaroci
Skladstaroci rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2010
Hanna
Hanna rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Rageofanath
Rageofanath rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eric Gurney (1910–1992), Canadian-American cartoonist and illustrator.
More about Eric Gurney...