Mort: The Play

Mort: The Play (Discworld Stage Adaptations)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  27,770 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Adapted for the stage by Stephen Briggs, this tells the story of Mort, who has been chosen as Death's apprentice. He gets board and lodging and free use of company horse, and doesn't even need time off for his grandmother's funeral. The trouble begins when instead of collecting the soul of a princess, he kills her would-be assassin, and changes history.
Published May 1st 1996 by Transworld Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mort

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle MeadDivergent by Veronica Roth
Books You Wish You Were In
133rd out of 208 books — 109 voters
Sense and Sensibility by Jane AustenPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenMansfield Park by Jane AustenEmma by Jane AustenNorthanger Abbey by Jane Austen
For my library
69th out of 102 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Henna
I have always been curious about Death DEATH. He speaks in capital letters - or at least he kind of speaks and the words appear in capitals on the page (apparently in reality), and of course he is really fond of cats and kittens (cute eh). What is not to like? Except from him being Death he isn't a bad sort of guy.

One day Death chooses himself an apprentice, who goes by the name of Mort, someone who can be trained up in Deaths duties and then maybe even take over (and more besides). A very inte...more
Nina
Mort is a fabulous book. It is not quite a classic Terry Pratchett -- more serious in a way, with fewer gags, a more formal fantasy tone, and a more subtle satire -- but it is one of his best. Mort introduces the title character, Mortimer or "Mort," a hapless young space cadet whose own parents write him off as useless and send him to be an apprentice. When he is chosen by Death, though, he delves into a fantastical world of flying horses, takeout curry, and a strange kind of romance with Death'...more
Sharon
I've enjoyed most of Pratchett's quirky, satirical, fantasy books but I've enjoyed the ones with Death as one of the main characters the best. They are laugh out loud funny, especially if you listen to audiobook version. The reader is excellent. In fact, I recommend you listen to one on audiobook first. Once you hear it you'll understand my recommendation. Death has a unique voice and the reader "puts it in your head" nicely!
Jim
Jun 15, 2012 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
A brilliant book that made me laugh and cry at Morts new life which had benefits and, as he learned, drawbacks. A quality, simple and at the same time intense story about an adopted boy whom death was his tutor.
Kristin Maillard
Recommended by my 24 year old son. I have laughed aloud at everything I've ever read by Pratchett. I like and care about the characters and their hijinx are second to none.
Ari
This was the first Discworld novel I read, and I hold a particularly soft spot for it. How many times have I read it? NO idea!
Helen
amazing :D the character 'Death' is by far my favourite in the Discworld series
Darwin Blake
so good i wrote a poem about it...
James Pratt
I read a bunch of Terry Pratchett's Disc World books a few years ago. Each was consistently funny, insightful, and entertaining and this admittedly generic review applies to all of them. I don't think of Mr. Pratchett strictly as a fantasy author. He skillfully writes about the same themes around which writers have been framing stories for centuries; loyalty, greed, cruelty, and compassion just to name a few. He just so happens to write about them in the magical setting of Disc World. Check out...more
Iliyana Braykova
Definitely not the best book of Sir Terry, but still a fantastic one (probably because it was written by an excellent autor). I love the way Pratchett explains people's soul comparing Mort and Death. The book is full of energy and mistery and it is only the first of theese incredible stories about Death, which are in my oppinion his number ones.
I regret that I couldn't get all of the jokes in it(I read the original version), this might be the reason why it isn't one of my favourite books.
Amber
Fabulous!!!! Hysterically funny..... as is all Terry Pratchett. I will be re-reading this one (and many others in the Disc World series). I've recommended his books to many a stranger sitting and waiting for various doctors appointments. I just can't keep myself from laughing out loud. It never fails that at least one person asks me just what is so darn funny. Well...... read for yourself. You WON'T be disappointed.
Holden
A very disapointing play. It read essentially like a cliff notes version of Terry Prachett's excellent novel. It makes it out of one-star territory merely on the strength of the source material (some of which was lifted directly into the dialouge, word for word). An interesting play is most certainly hiding in Prachett's Discworld series, but Stephan Briggs has not found it.
Paul Cude
Good book! I really really love DEATH! I love all the things he says when he turns up, his rather naive view, I love the thought of him galloping around on Binky....love Albert doing all the chores and constantly cooking a fry up. Very good...great humour. Not too sure about Mort himself...but DEATH is the star, in this and all the other books...particularly the Hogfather!
Bal Jagpal
Brilliantly Inventive.
Mort, a less than common lad is taken as an apprentice to do the ultimate job of all.
There were points where i wasn't sure where Terry Pratchett was heading with the story, or how he would resolve certain scenarios. But, it all came together in the end.
Great Stroy
Mantha
I personally believe that this is one of Terry Pratchett's books. Death's story, being the only character present in all of his books, surpassed what is traditionally expected of dying, crossing over and surprisingly, of living. A laugh or two certainly helps this book along too.
Paul Mclaughlan
Ahh! The first time I fell in love with Death. Very fun book, and a good few volumes before I ended-up burnt out on Pratchett. Though, given how fondly I remember this book, and especially the earlier bits on apprenticeship, maybe I should dip back in? But where?
Michelle
What I love about Terry Pratchett's books is the characters live in the world he created and pop up in others of his books. Mort becomes Death's apprentice. Terry has a great way of twisting concepts and making them real, funny and to the point.
Jools
Can't praise it highly enough - the scene where Death takes a job in the Discworld equivalent of a transport cafe and cooks what turns out to be egg, sos and a bit of fried bread is amazing! As with all the Discworld novels....masterful!
Joy Moonwillow
A wonderful introduction to Death and his family. Terry Pratchett's take on death is charming and innocent while also remaining powerful and a little bit frightening. Of all the personifications of Death this one is my favorite.
Jon Till
This was my first introduction to the discworld series. I have a great fondness for all things Pratchett. A fantastic tale about an awkward young man who (at the time I read it) was not unlike myself in his social ineptness.
Kayla
Nov 07, 2010 Kayla added it
This author is not only hilarious and witty but dramtic and suspensfull, I think this is one of the first books by Pratchett that I have ever read besides the Tiffany Aching series and I just love it.
Mallory
Hilarious, clever and a well written story line. Mort is certainly one of my favorite characters so far, but nobody will beat Death, who is probably Terry Pratchett's most loved character! Five stars!
Lisa
I love this author for a good, very humorous, quick read no one beats him!!

Out of all his books so far this one is my favorite, maybe because it was the first one I read when I was 17.
Bernard
Read it a long time ago, when I re-read it I'll review it. All I remember is that like Pratchett's other books, it was one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read.
Ntina P
Funny, delirious, sarcastic and crazy as always! You're gonna love Death in this book! One of the best characters in Discworld and one of my favorites!
Ann
Rereading as an antidote to the depressing reality of small minded, selfish people. Thank (add deïty/natural force to your liking)for Terry Pratchett.
Barnabe Jeanperrin

A great book, full of humour and witty descriptions! Loved it, and loved that rinewind was put in the book but not as the main character!
10/10
Haferkeks
I really liked this book! I liked how the charakter of Mort is drawn by Terry Pratchett and also how Death acts. It was fun to read!
Rachel
First Pratchett book I ever read, picked it up quite by accident (didn't know who he was, or that it was part of a series) and I loved it!
Slava
I've read it 4th time. First time in English, actually. Terry is brilliant, as usual - there's nothing to say about that.
  • Wyrd Sisters: The Play
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)