Start by marking “Mort: The Play” as Want to Read:
Mort: The Play

Mort: The Play (Discworld Stage Adaptations)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  28,010 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Adapted for the stage by Stephen Briggs, this tells the story of Mort, who has been chosen as Death's apprentice. He gets board and lodging and free use of company horse, and doesn't even need time off for his grandmother's funeral. The trouble begins when instead of collecting the soul of a princess, he kills her would-be assassin, and changes history.
Published May 1st 1996 by Transworld Publishers

Henna
Jul 31, 2013 Henna rated it really liked it
I have always been curious about Death DEATH. He speaks in capital letters - or at least he kind of speaks and the words appear in capitals on the page (apparently in reality), and of course he is really fond of cats and kittens (cute eh). What is not to like? Except from him being Death he isn't a bad sort of guy.

One day Death chooses himself an apprentice, who goes by the name of Mort, someone who can be trained up in Deaths duties and then maybe even take over (and more besides). A very inte
Nina
Sep 02, 2011 Nina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mort is a fabulous book. It is not quite a classic Terry Pratchett -- more serious in a way, with fewer gags, a more formal fantasy tone, and a more subtle satire -- but it is one of his best. Mort introduces the title character, Mortimer or "Mort," a hapless young space cadet whose own parents write him off as useless and send him to be an apprentice. When he is chosen by Death, though, he delves into a fantastical world of flying horses, takeout curry, and a strange kind of romance with Death' ...more
Sharon
Feb 12, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed most of Pratchett's quirky, satirical, fantasy books but I've enjoyed the ones with Death as one of the main characters the best. They are laugh out loud funny, especially if you listen to audiobook version. The reader is excellent. In fact, I recommend you listen to one on audiobook first. Once you hear it you'll understand my recommendation. Death has a unique voice and the reader "puts it in your head" nicely!
Jim
Jun 15, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
A brilliant book that made me laugh and cry at Morts new life which had benefits and, as he learned, drawbacks. A quality, simple and at the same time intense story about an adopted boy whom death was his tutor.
Amrita Desmet
Mar 14, 2016 Amrita Desmet rated it liked it
Shelves: grade-8, fast-reads
Although this book was definitely very interesting, I didn't understand who some of the characters where and what was happening at times in the story. One thing is for sure though, I'm really excited for middle school to be doing this play this year :)
Kristin Maillard
Sep 03, 2014 Kristin Maillard rated it it was amazing
Recommended by my 24 year old son. I have laughed aloud at everything I've ever read by Pratchett. I like and care about the characters and their hijinx are second to none.
Ari
Feb 14, 2012 Ari rated it it was amazing
This was the first Discworld novel I read, and I hold a particularly soft spot for it. How many times have I read it? NO idea!
Helen
Jul 07, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing
amazing :D the character 'Death' is by far my favourite in the Discworld series
Darwin Blake
so good i wrote a poem about it...
Miriam
Oct 13, 2016 Miriam rated it really liked it
We're going to be doing this play at my university this semester, and I am really looking forward to it. I think that the adaptation Stephen Briggs made is quite good, all the essential parts of the book are there, and it's still funny. It was also good to get a bit of a break after the more depressing books I've been reading recently.
Anthony
Aug 26, 2015 Anthony rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have read by Terry Pratchett, my initial plan was to just read the "Death" books, but now I am going to have to read them all!

Mort is a likeable but clumsy teenager whose dad decides he needs to start working and get an apprenticeship, Death himself turns up and offers Mort a chance to go and learn his trade, which is where the adventure begins.

The book is well written, humorous and kept my attention throughout, I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for
James Pratt
Feb 27, 2012 James Pratt rated it really liked it
I read a bunch of Terry Pratchett's Disc World books a few years ago. Each was consistently funny, insightful, and entertaining and this admittedly generic review applies to all of them. I don't think of Mr. Pratchett strictly as a fantasy author. He skillfully writes about the same themes around which writers have been framing stories for centuries; loyalty, greed, cruelty, and compassion just to name a few. He just so happens to write about them in the magical setting of Disc World. Check out ...more
Amber
Oct 10, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fabulous!!!! Hysterically funny..... as is all Terry Pratchett. I will be re-reading this one (and many others in the Disc World series). I've recommended his books to many a stranger sitting and waiting for various doctors appointments. I just can't keep myself from laughing out loud. It never fails that at least one person asks me just what is so darn funny. Well...... read for yourself. You WON'T be disappointed.
Jewels
Nov 13, 2015 Jewels rated it liked it
The play was actually pretty faithful to Terry Pratchett's book of the same title. I understand that the length had to be cut down due to theater time constraints, but they didn't leave out any pertinent parts of the storyline. I would love to actually see this preformed at some point, although I'm not sure if there are any theaters close to where I live that would be amenable to attempting it. It was a great adaptation though, and if you can see it, I would highly recommend attending.
Iliyana Braykova
Sep 24, 2012 Iliyana Braykova rated it liked it
Definitely not the best book of Sir Terry, but still a fantastic one (probably because it was written by an excellent autor). I love the way Pratchett explains people's soul comparing Mort and Death. The book is full of energy and mistery and it is only the first of theese incredible stories about Death, which are in my oppinion his number ones.
I regret that I couldn't get all of the jokes in it(I read the original version), this might be the reason why it isn't one of my favourite books.
Holden
Sep 14, 2014 Holden rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
A very disapointing play. It read essentially like a cliff notes version of Terry Prachett's excellent novel. It makes it out of one-star territory merely on the strength of the source material (some of which was lifted directly into the dialouge, word for word). An interesting play is most certainly hiding in Prachett's Discworld series, but Stephan Briggs has not found it.
Paul Cude
Jun 18, 2012 Paul Cude rated it really liked it
Good book! I really really love DEATH! I love all the things he says when he turns up, his rather naive view, I love the thought of him galloping around on Binky....love Albert doing all the chores and constantly cooking a fry up. Very good...great humour. Not too sure about Mort himself...but DEATH is the star, in this and all the other books...particularly the Hogfather!
Chris Pavesic
Jan 19, 2015 Chris Pavesic rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this. It is an adaption of the novel, Mort, by Terry Pratchett. I read the novel, Mort, years ago and the play has been in my TBR pile for awhile. I hope that this will someday be made into a movie like many of the other Discworld novels. Brigg's adaptation could be used in this regard.
Joy Moonwillow
Nov 04, 2012 Joy Moonwillow rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic
A wonderful introduction to Death and his family. Terry Pratchett's take on death is charming and innocent while also remaining powerful and a little bit frightening. Of all the personifications of Death this one is my favorite.
Bal Jagpal
Aug 23, 2013 Bal Jagpal rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Brilliantly Inventive.
Mort, a less than common lad is taken as an apprentice to do the ultimate job of all.
There were points where i wasn't sure where Terry Pratchett was heading with the story, or how he would resolve certain scenarios. But, it all came together in the end.
Great Stroy
Paul Mclaughlan
Oct 18, 2011 Paul Mclaughlan rated it really liked it
Ahh! The first time I fell in love with Death. Very fun book, and a good few volumes before I ended-up burnt out on Pratchett. Though, given how fondly I remember this book, and especially the earlier bits on apprenticeship, maybe I should dip back in? But where?
Kayla
Nov 07, 2010 Kayla added it
This author is not only hilarious and witty but dramtic and suspensfull, I think this is one of the first books by Pratchett that I have ever read besides the Tiffany Aching series and I just love it.
Mallory
Oct 14, 2012 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, clever and a well written story line. Mort is certainly one of my favorite characters so far, but nobody will beat Death, who is probably Terry Pratchett's most loved character! Five stars!
Mantha
Oct 17, 2012 Mantha rated it it was amazing
I personally believe that this is one of Terry Pratchett's books. Death's story, being the only character present in all of his books, surpassed what is traditionally expected of dying, crossing over and surprisingly, of living. A laugh or two certainly helps this book along too.
Jools
Apr 18, 2012 Jools rated it it was amazing
Can't praise it highly enough - the scene where Death takes a job in the Discworld equivalent of a transport cafe and cooks what turns out to be egg, sos and a bit of fried bread is amazing! As with all the Discworld novels....masterful!
Case
Sep 02, 2016 Case rated it really liked it
Shelves: discworld
It makes for a cute play; good stage directions help visualize what's going on, and the narrator's voice comes through well. It's a great adaptation of the book into a stage play - funny and fast paced that's still accessible when being read.
Jon Till
This was my first introduction to the discworld series. I have a great fondness for all things Pratchett. A fantastic tale about an awkward young man who (at the time I read it) was not unlike myself in his social ineptness.
Michelle
Aug 15, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: will-re-read
What I love about Terry Pratchett's books is the characters live in the world he created and pop up in others of his books. Mort becomes Death's apprentice. Terry has a great way of twisting concepts and making them real, funny and to the point.
Ntina P
Jul 07, 2011 Ntina P rated it it was amazing
Funny, delirious, sarcastic and crazy as always! You're gonna love Death in this book! One of the best characters in Discworld and one of my favorites!
Caroline
Feb 19, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
One of my favourites... Love how Death struggles to try and make sense of human behavior and manipulates so successfully!
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1)
  • Terry Pratchett
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • Legends Volume 2
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
  • Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2)
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf #3)
  • A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 2 of 2)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld Stage Adaptations (9 books)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Maskerade: The Play
  • Wyrd Sisters: The Play
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • Making Money: The Play
  • The Truth: Stage Adaptation
  • Terry Pratchett's Lords And Ladies: Play (The Play)