Start by marking “The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide” as Want to Read:
The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide

The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide (Discworld Maps)

Greetings, adventurer! We lay before you this most comprehensive gazetteer encompassing all the streets of Ankh-Morpork, as well as information on its principal businesses, hotels, taverns, inns, and places of entertainment and refreshment, enhanced by the all-new and compleat map of our great city state.

Our city has grown well beyond its ancient walls, but the remit of th
Published December 3rd 2012 by Doubleday UK (first published October 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Compleat Ankh-Morpork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Compleat Ankh-Morpork

Jeff
Dec 30, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A city guide to an imaginary city? Who on earth would want that? Page after page of fictional adverts for non-existent businesses? What could possibly be the use of that?

Well, it turns out that I do for one.

While not being for one moment a necessary accompaniment for the Discworld reader, in which fictional work this particular city is deemed to exist, for the fan it is a delightful browse which adds depth to the oeuvre. Some of it is brand new, never previously mentioned. Other parts are formal
Susan Rose
Aug 17, 2015 Susan Rose rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, illustrated
This book is not only a really funny guide to the city of Ankh-Morpork it is also a beautiful addition to anyone's discworld collection.

This book includes a massive incredibly detailed and fascinating map of the city which I will be using as a reference while reading all the future discworld books.

This would also make a brilliant gift for anyone Pratchett fans.
Mara
Jan 05, 2015 Mara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
For the truly dedicated Discworld fans only. If you belong to the group, you'll probably snicker along while reading.
I would give an arm and a leg to have been a fly on the wall while the Emporium and Pratchett wrote/drew the maps and the travel guide.
Well, and the other limbs too to actually see Ankh :)
Martini
Jan 31, 2014 Martini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett-terry
So now I've got the travel bug for a fictional city. Well done, P'Terry.
Tweedledum
Aug 25, 2015 Tweedledum rated it it was amazing
Well, ok, I have not actually read this book from cover to cover, because it is not that kind of book. This is a book for disc world lovers to dip into and savour. Dipping into the city guide enables the reader to become an armchair traveller to Ankh-Morpork where you can wander and linger at will, rather than go only where a disc world character happens to take you. Here you can discover Toys Is Me in Wixons alley. Proprietor, surprise surprise, Joshua Isme. You can find out where to get some e ...more
Chris
Dec 02, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect vacation guide, though only one footnote. Watch all those names because there are quite a few references and jokes.
Molokov
Dec 02, 2012 Molokov rated it it was amazing
A significant and beautiful update to The Streets of Ankh-Morpork, this guide to the fictional Discworld city is more detailed (and much funnier) than many other city guides for real places. I haven't yet had a chance to pore over the map itself, which is huge, double-sided and incredibly detailed, but the guidebook had me laughing out loud many many times.
Christina Alenko
Jun 18, 2014 Christina Alenko rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed going through this guide. The map is incredible and so detailed! Sat for hours exploring it.
Tho I don't have a copy of it it's worth the purchase. :)
Matija
Dec 06, 2012 Matija rated it it was amazing
I got this today! Funny, detailed and with a huge map. Print is high quality, thick paper and full color. Beautiful book and a must have for every Discworld fan.
David
Dec 31, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Not really a book but a very beautiful Discworld ephemera. A perfect gift for any Discworld buff.
Sakura87
Avevo pensato di scrivere una semplice recensione, ma poi ho capito che non avrebbe mai reso giustizia a questo volume, che è quanto di definitivo un fan di Terry Pratchett possa trovare in vendita: una guida in 128 pagine alla città di Ankh-Morpork, ambientazione prediletta dall'autore inglese per la maggioranza dei sui romanzi della saga Mondo Disco. Quindi ho aggiunto le foto.
Contiene proprio tutto ciò che offre una guida a qualsiasi città reale: all'introduzione all'edizione, scritta dagli i
La Stamberga dei Lettori
May 09, 2013 La Stamberga dei Lettori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sakura87
Becci
Jan 08, 2016 Becci rated it really liked it
My greatest pleasure was actually finding this book at the local bookshop. It's almost impossible to find any of the 'additive' Pratchett materials. No calendars, no diaries, no Wit and Wisdom or quiz books, just the novel series. (Thank you to Lois for always making the effort to find me these things!)
Well, having read this, and having spent several hours perusing the map provided... I think I am ready to visit this fantastical city.
Having been a Pratchett fan for more than 20 years now, I must
Heronolen
Jan 13, 2015 Heronolen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pratchett
Quand j'ai vu ce livre, avec sa belle pochette dorée, sur les étagères de ma librairie, je n'ai pu que craquer. Et je ne regrette pas du tout.

Véritable quide du routard d'Ankh-Morpork, c'est un véritable travail de titan que l'on trouve ici : des musées aux hôtels, vous saurez tout sur la ville et vous aurez même un superbe plan pour vous repérer.

Mais surtout, ce livre est splendide : papier jauni, mise en page au petits oignons, gravures... Mais ce que j'ai préféré, ce sont les multiples public
Chuck Knudsen
Feb 18, 2015 Chuck Knudsen rated it really liked it
Pretty great stuff, filled with the cleverness you expect from Pratchett. Probably only recommendable to huge fans of the main series.
Timothy Wiggill
Feb 03, 2014 Timothy Wiggill rated it really liked it
I love this! Not really a book per se but a guide of the City for Ankh-Morpork. And being a cartographic admirer, the map that comes with it is just amazing :D
Jamie Sigal
Dec 14, 2014 Jamie Sigal rated it really liked it
Really cute and funny, but this book is only for the dedicated Discworld fan and enthusiast.
Ruth Feathers
Jan 08, 2015 Ruth Feathers rated it it was amazing
Just waiting for my visa application to be signed by the Patrician.
Louise West
Oct 27, 2014 Louise West rated it it was amazing
One for the fans, but no less awesome for it.
Sbrunati
Aug 09, 2015 Sbrunati rated it it was amazing
Funny as always and useful
FebruaryStars
Feb 01, 2014 FebruaryStars rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful guide to Ankh Morpork. It really helps you flesh out the environment that my beloved Discworld books take place in. It is the kind of book that I like to dip in and out of rather than read cover to cover. There are descriptions of the various guilds, funny vintage looking adverts for the shops and best of all, a number of maps. Any book that gives a map of the work is usually a winner for me! However, if you are not a Discworld fan then this book is probably not for you.
Ron
Apr 27, 2015 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, guidebooks
If you want to know the ins and outs of Ankh-Morpork, this book is for you. It has restaurants, guilds, temples, street tours and descriptions of shops all included. To tell you the truth, it reminds me of the Judges Guilds books that accompanied maps and campaigns for D & D that I used to read back in the 1980s.
Vassilena Valchanova
Dec 29, 2014 Vassilena Valchanova rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, hard-copy
It was a nice walk through the streets of Ankh-Morpork. The guide sounds like genuine tourist material and adds another layer to the way we think of the greatest Discworld city. When you know what's behind names like C.M.O.T. Dibbler and The Thieves' Guild, reading the balanced guide text is even funnier. This is not necessarily a good read in itself, but a must for hardcore Pratchett fans!
Francesco
Feb 06, 2016 Francesco rated it it was amazing
Sul mio blog potete trovare cosa ne penso di questo bellissimo libro! http://www.casteloricalco.eu/archives...
William Thompson
Aug 02, 2016 William Thompson rated it really liked it
Fantastic guide, this isn't one of those guides that has been cut and pasted together, creating a wafer thin book to sell to fans for an easy cash in, this really is crammed full of info and fun pieces. Well worth a browse.
Rebecca
A fun idea for a companion that anyone who loves Discworld will enjoy- but I really wouldn't pay 23 for it! Mostly full of directories for places to eat, businesses etc, as I said they are fun, but not really much more... ...more
Robyn
Nov 16, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it
it got tucked away unfortunately but I found it again and finished it. As with most of Pterry's work I loved it. If you love Ankh-Morpork then it is a must have.
Stuart
Jan 18, 2013 Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: discworld
Entertaining and informative, a must-have for any Discworld fan. The large fold-out map is incredibly detailed, and the ads promise hours of dip-in, dip-out fun
Kim
Oct 06, 2013 Kim added it
Couldn't finish. Dull, dull, dull, bloody dull. Save some time and stare at a blank sheet of paper for a while. At least it won't give false airs of humour.
Carlo
Mar 12, 2013 Carlo rated it liked it
Waayyyyyy overpriced. A couple of belly laughs though, but not was I was expecting. An awful lot of thought has gone into it though.
  • The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized
  • Rowan Blaize and the Hand of Djin Rummy (Enchanted Heritage Chronicles, #2)
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles I: Art & Design
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Now We Are Sick: An Anthology of Nasty Verse
  • I fiumi della guerra (Le Cronache del Ghiaccio e del Fuoco, #6)
  • The Mechanical Messiah and Other Marvels of the Modern Age (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #2)
  • Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature
  • Terry Pratchett: The Spirit of Fantasy
  • The Amazing Mind of Alice Makin
  • Djinn Rummy
  • Purgatory
  • 天使禁猟区: エンジェル・ケイジ由貴香織里画集。[Tenshi Kinryouku: Angel Cage]
  • Goblin Tales
  • Wodehouse on Crime

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld Maps (6 books)
  • The Discworld Mapp: Being the Onlie True and Mostlie Accurate Mappe of the Fantastyk and Magical Dyscworlde
  • The Streets of Ankh-Morpork