Objects on Rails

Objects on Rails

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published 2012

Jacob Tjornholm
I really, really enjoyed this book.

As Avdi also points out in the book, it is important not to think of it as a "best practices" book. It's more of an exploration, a journey away from way most people build Rails apps to discover which alternative techniques work and which don't.

Some of these experiments end with the realization that the effort needed to introduce flexibility was simply too great to make the technique worthwhile. In my opinion, this is a good thing! Without these experiments, i...more
Bjoern Rochel
A book full of good ideas. A bit short though and in parts a bit off (the overengineered tagging part). The book is more an eyeopener for developers only familiar with rails standard way of doing things, than a reference or a pattern catalogue.
Rob Yurkowski
A pretty good introduction to proper domain design and architecture, but a bit rudimentary when it comes to extracting and referring to patterns. I started this years ago, but only recently finished it, and I credit it with first getting my mind moving in this direction. Now, I'd hand it off to an intermediate dev looking to transition to a senior.
Orban
By reading it I learned how to decouple my domain logic from Rails. I also learned a very effective way to use presenters.
Bradley Schaefer
Clear and well-written exploration of techniques that can be used in rails applications that can help with testability, separation of concerns, reducing coupling, and overall clean design. In reality each of those list items is interconnected, as Avdi succeeds in demonstrating.

Examples of some of the interesting parts was the idea of Exhibitors, factory methods using public_method, default arguments as a sort of dependency-injection mechanism, and bunches more. I definitely wish more rails progr...more
Michał Szajbe
Good read. Code examples sometimes look over-engineered and are difficult to follow but the reasoning behind them is really well described. The book contains great summary section which acts as a good reference.
Jesse Storimer
Really great narrative here. This was the first technical book to hold my attention all the way through in a while.
Kat
Well-written although overkill for a blog! We used some patterns discussed in this book.
Seba Gamboa
Great book. A must read for any one working professionally with Rails.
Daryll Santos
Daryll Santos is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2014
Gyuri
Gyuri marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
dachaeon
dachaeon marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Aron
Aron marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
João Ramos
João Ramos marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
jacortes
jacortes marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Gunawan Hendrik
Gunawan Hendrik marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Jon Austin
Jon Austin marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Mateusz
Mateusz marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Marcos Lamúria
Marcos Lamúria marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
David Rueck
David Rueck marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
James Gareth
James Gareth marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Gary Verhaegen
Gary Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Brian J. Caouette
Brian J. Caouette marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Exceptional Ruby: Master the Art of Handling Failure in Ruby Confident Ruby Much Ado About Naught An Adventure in Ruby Metaprogramming