Start by marking “How Google Tests Software” as Want to Read:
How Google Tests Software

How Google Tests Software

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  32 reviews
2012 Jolt Award finalist! Pioneering the Future of Software Test Do you need to get it right, too? Then, "learn "from Google."" Legendary testing expert James Whittaker, until recently a Google testing leader, and two top Google experts reveal exactly how Google tests software, offering brand-new best practices you can use even if you're not quite Google's size..."yet!" Br ...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How Google Tests Software, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Google Tests Software

Derrick Lim
I learnt about quite a few useful tools, especially pyAuto for driving Chrome automation, as well as Protocol Buffers for creating class definitions and serializing data easily. However, most of the content in this book is more management than technical focused, and would probably benefit someone who is already familiar with the testing scene as it currently is than new readers trying to find ways to improve their software quality.
Zhi Han
This is not a typical book. It has both good and bad.

The good: the level of technical detail, the clarity and the straightforward presentation of the authors. The book painted a picture where SET (software engineer in test) was the best technical job and TE (test engineers) are the best generalist job. (At least from a reader's point of view.) It certainly is encouraging and enlightening, particularly for google engineers.

The bad:

(1) the writing style. Oh my god, the authors have almost no writ
Nick Black
The best book on testing (or "facilitating engineering productivity", as it's known within the book and among the google SETs (software engineers in testing)) I've ever read, though most of this will be old hat to anyone who's digested the lessons of test-driven development. read on the advice of my new manager at google.
Sergey Kochergan
Must read for everyone whose work related to software testing and quality assurance.
Sherilyn
How does Google test software? how it should be tested with developers doing most of their own testing saving the manual testers for the things that are best done by a human. I like the philosophy.
Matt Diephouse
This was an odd book. It's really 3 things: an internal training manual, a recruiting tool, and an external guide to Google's testing practices. The first two really got in the way of what would have otherwise been a very interesting book.
Cyberamazing
This book is more about people than technologies (although it contains description of some google instruments and tools for testing software ). I really like the idea of 20 percent time for yourself, and ability to change project every 18 month. Also I like approach for quality and testing. Let computer do all the routine thing and let engineer be engineer and focus on important!

If you wonder how development process organized in one of the most successful companies you should read this book. But
Pavel Moiseenko
Книга скорее не про само тестирование, а про построение инфраструктуры команд разработчиков и тестировщиков. Про то, как это сделано в Гугле и как к этому пришли. Что входит в обязаности тестировщиков, их начальников, как собеседуют людей при приме на работу и т. д. Специфичная, и, полагаю, быстро устареваемая литература. Полный отзыв: http://pavelmoiseenko.ru/blog/kak-tes...
Rgrilli
The list of insights and lessons learned from this book exceeds almost any other book that I have read.
Shraddha
Insightful indeed.
Mahmoud Abdelrazik
Rosa
One friend who works as SET (Software Engineer in Test) at Google recommended me this book. I'm quite interested in software testing and I enjoyed reading this book. It describes in good detail the different roles that take part in the testing process at Google, and it has a lot of interviews with Googlers that talk about their experience and work. This interview format makes the reading very agile and entertaining.

It's definitely a must read for anyone interested in testing.
Oleg
Some interesting insights on tools, roles and practices but so much corporate happy talk
Alexi Parizeau
I'm currently enthralled by the study of software engineering using the many great textbooks on the subject. But when I kept seeing this particular book being mentioned in "Further Reading" sections, I dropped everything and read it in an afternoon. I'm so glad I did. In a few hours it managed to COMPLETELY change my view of software testing; this is an area I'm now really passionate about, and I can't wait to see how it evolves over the next few years.
Henry
Editors should be shot for allowing this out the door. There is no excuse for 100 pages in one chapter. A good editor would not let this out the door.

otherwise an interesting read. They have some good points, but they do not have the right answer: try using google docs (after using something else) as your only office suite and you will understand. I don't know what the right answer is for software testing, but this is only a part.
Tetiana Vynograd
Nothing really special about testing. But it's good enough to know about processes in Google and so on.
Maria
Jan 04, 2014 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: it
Pros:
It's a good read. There are new ideas to try out, some tools to investigate further (BITE, Selenium, Test Analytics, etc).
I really liked the description of the interview process. Google really does put an emphasize on creativity and open-mindedness.

Cons:
It's not a book for recently born testers, the book assumes you know some concepts.
The interviews were useful, but dull to read.
Stefan Teixeira
This is a very interesting book about the Google approaches to software testing and how it was to achieve that. What I really like about the book is that it gives you a lot of insights about organizational culture and how to make your organization more "test-infected".

Although the book was written in 2012, it still is very valuable.
Leah
This book had a few good suggestions, but it was a bit of a slog. Fortunately it was a relatively short slog. I recommend reading the first chapter, and the section on Test Planning (Attribute, Component, Capability analysis) in the 3rd chapter. The rest of the book re-states those parts or does Google cheerleading.
Rahul Vaidya
Very good book illustrating the Test Culture in google. The roles/responsibilities of SET and TE are explained thouroughly. The interviews conducted in the book are awesome!! ACCs of Google+ and Test Plans of Chrome OS are very informative. Test workflows are explained so openly. Strongly recommended for Tech folks.
Ian
I read this book at a very good time, working out how best to test SaaS software in a company following behind Google's approach. Looking at Google blogs and videos, most of the ideas presented here have evolved since writing - but that is the nature of today's fast moving high tech companies.
Acc13
The first third is a slog.

Some of the later chapters are better.

Some of the technologies that Google uses, and culture of testing is useful.

Not a lot of canned solutions you may expect to put into practice at work; but more food for thought.

Yan
Great to know some best practices of Google. I like the format of interviewing employees. My favorite also includes the part where the author distinguishes the roles of SETs, TEs, and SW developers, and the discussion on Test Certification.
Ronald Rajagukguk
mediocre book if I may say, the content more or less talk about the job description of all position in Google Productivity department. nevertheless it's a nice reading material to broaden the views on software testing discipline.
Rich Dammkoehler
I didn't like this book. I stopped reading it. Maybe there is something good in here, but I couldn't find it after 4 chapters. My friends tell me its not that great.
Vincent Bloise
The first half of the book presented a comprehensive overview of Google's approach to software development. The second half was completely redundant.
Steve
A good overview of how "another" company test software. A little frustrating the way the book was chosen to be organized, but other than that a quick read.
Pete Krug
Great insight into a culture of building quality software. The interviews became repetitive and I skipped them after a while
Björn
Nov 25, 2012 Björn added it
Very good book about how google manage to get such a good quality in their products.
Gereon Kåver
The last third was a bit unengaged but still a great read.
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Xunit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Specification by Example
  • Perfect Software--And Other Illusions about Testing
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Beautiful Testing: Leading Professionals Reveal How They Improve Software
  • The RSpec Book
  • Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
How to Break Software: A Practical Guide to Testing Exploratory Software Testing: Tips, Tricks, Tours, and Techniques to Guide Test Design Career Superpowers: Succeeding on Purpose How to Break Software Security The Art of Stage Presence

“As test documentation goes, test plans have the briefest actual lifespan of any test artifact. Early in a project, there is a push to write a test plan [...]. Indeed, there is often an insistence among project managers that a test plan must exist and that writing it is a milestone of some importance. But, once such a plan is written, it is often hard to get any of those same managers to take reviewing and updating it seriously. The test plan becomes a beloved stuffed animal in the hands of a distracted child. We want it to be there at all times. We drag it around from place to place without ever giving it any real attention. We only scream when it gets taken away.” 1 likes
“Time is the strangest substance known to man. You can’t see, touch, hear, smell, taste or avoid it. Time makes you stronger-minded but weaker-bodied, gradually transforming you from blushing grape to ornery, grouching raisin. Time is the most precious thing you have, yet you’re happiest when you’re wasting it. Time will outlive you, your offspring, your offspring’s robots and your offspring’s robots’ springs.” 1 likes