Start by marking “Partners In Necessity (Liaden Universe, #8-10)” as Want to Read:
Partners In Necessity (Liaden Universe, #8-10)

Partners In Necessity (Liaden Universe #8-10, omnibus)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  820 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Remember how Miri and Val Con first met? How about the trouble Priscilla was in before she met Shan? Who can forget the way that Edger and Sheather have of coming to a friend's rescue or contemplating the weave of a carpet?
Paperback, Omnibus, 842 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Meisha Merlin Publishing (first published February 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Partners In Necessity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Partners In Necessity

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsFinders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
67th out of 989 books — 1,103 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
333rd out of 1,177 books — 1,053 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
3.5 stars. I loved, loved, loved the first novel of this omnibus, Conflicts of Honor, and I thought it was great. Anne McCaffrey described these books best when she referred to them in the introduction as here favorite "comfort" books. On the first book, I completely agree. Highly Recommended!!!

2nd and 3rd books were okay, but I did not gel with them the way I did the first one.
Cinco
Sep 14, 2007 Cinco rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-fi readers, romance readers, space travel readers
Shelves: sciencefiction
This is a collected edition of the first three Liaden novels (there are several more, as well as some short stories; they can be read out of order). My friend Maggie's mom accosted me one day and said I needed to read them, and she was quite right as I enjoyed them quite a lot. The series is a giant space opera, with tons of main characters and lots of different alien cultures, written in two great genres that taste great together--scifi and romance. I'm not saying they're great art or anything, ...more
Dan
Aug 09, 2010 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: signal
The first two books were sort of bland romance novels: {rich space merchant | deadly assassin} saves a woman's life, falls madly in love, they spend some time trying not to get killed by bad-guys, book ends. In both cases the woman had a maddening inferiority complex and needed constant reassurance that she was awesome and wonderful.

The series had been highly recommended, and some online reviews suggested the third book was better. The third book was, in fact, better: it took the characters from
Annette
I essentially inhaled the entire Liaden Universe series in something like 2 months, but I kept putting off entering them into Goodreads for some reason.
Obviously, I enjoyed the series - given the rate I tore through it! Strongly character driven, well written, reasonably clean, and with enough plot to keep me interested, they're pretty much everything I look for in a space opera. I can't remember when I've enjoyed a series as a whole quite so much since the Vorkosigan Saga (best starting place:
Jim
An omnibus of three pulp swords & sorcery novels (in space) with a dose of bodice-ripping romance. The first two books in this volume are totally unencumbered by any kind of plot, and after you invest time reading hundreds of these discursive pages the main four characters still feel two dimensional. The third part finally develops a plot, around 650-700 pages into this omnibus, which only seems comparatively engaging because if you can make it that far you'll be starved for something, anyth ...more
Bobbie Marcus
Conflict of Honors, Agent of Change, and Carpe Diem, three Liaden Universe books in one cover. Great action, wonderful characters, romance, travel, its all here!
Eliza
Reading this on Jeannine's recommendation.

The first book in this collection, Conflict of Honors, felt very much like Firefly. Despite all the descriptions of the captain's dark skin and light hair, he mostly looked like Nathan Fillion when I pictured him.

I saved the third book to read over a long holiday weekend, and I'm glad I did. All three together make a very nice set.
Doranna Durgin
Brain candy and comfort reading for me--and so convenient, to have these three Liaden Universe novels in one omnibus. Frankly, the fun of the stories aside, what startled me was the quality of the production on this book. It's massive at nearly a thousand pages and trade PB size, but I read the whole thing without so much as creasing the spine. I mean, I'm very, very careful with my books--it's rare you can tell I've been through one--but that's pretty amazing.
Estara
Not only is this edition publishing the three novels in the right order, but there's a scene included that wasn't there in the previous editions. This is so strong a start even though I can see some aspects of the Liadenverse have changed over the years when I read the current books. The strength of the characters and the plot remain the same and yay for the strong women and the men who don't feel weak when they find them.
Judith Klein-dial
I liked this book so well I gave remainder copies to people who came in my shop while saying, "If you like it, pay me 1/2 of the cover price, if you don't like it, bring it back." More often than not, I got paid for the book.
Diane Baker
This is a terrific book, a fast ride and emotionally satisfying. If you like good space opera, engaging characters and a fun culture to explore, you'll love the Liaden series. Get any and all of them.
Monique
The Liaden universe is one I return to as often as possible. Not since the Anne McCaffery Dragon series have I been so captivated.
Robin
Dec 04, 2013 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all who love space opera
Contains Conflict of Honors, Agent of Change and the third book is blanking on me. Excellent set of books in the Liaden Universe.
Miramira Endevall
Ugh. Morgan already knows my rant about this book. Now it is over and I never have to read their writing again. Give me Bujold any day.
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Phyllis Griffiths
Phyllis Griffiths marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Alex Reynolds
Alex Reynolds marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
DerekWong
DerekWong marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Ian Mclean
Ian Mclean marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)
  • Judge (Wess'Har Wars, #6)
  • The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)
  • The Planet Pirates Omnibus
  • Eternity Row (Stardoc, #5)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Key
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she
More about Sharon Lee...

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1) (Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2) (Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9) Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12) Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8) Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5) I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)