Start by marking “Effective Java Programming Language Guide” as Want to Read:
Effective Java Programming Language Guide

Effective Java Programming Language Guide

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  3,429 ratings  ·  209 reviews
While specifically targeting intermediate Java programmers (the bulk of Java programmers), this book also provides "food for thought' to advanced programmers and C++ programmers in particular. "Effective Java" is an explicit (and acknowledged) homage to Scott Meyer's "Effective C++."
Published June 5th 2001 by Addison-Wesley Professional

Effective Java Programming Language Guide by Joshua BlochThinking in Java by Bruce EckelJava Concurrency in Practice by Brian GoetzJava Cookbook by Ian F. DarwinJava for Dummies Quick Reference by Doug Lowe
1st out of 19 books — 7 voters
SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide by Kathy SierraJavaScript by David FlanaganDomain-Driven Design by Eric EvansJavaScript by Douglas CrockfordJava Concurrency in Practice by Brian Goetz
Web Development with HTML5 and Java
9th out of 42 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

This is the single best book I have seen or read about Java to date. Bloch, who has been involved in the development of the latest versions of the Java language and specification, does not teach how to write Java code; he teaches how to write GOOD Java code.

This is a MUST READ for anyone who plans to write more than a little bit of Java code. But not only that, it is fairly easy to read and rather interesting.

I had a few second thoughts after writing the review above, so I thought I'd better add
Christian Brumm
Effective Java is THE BOOK you want to read first when you start writing Java code professionally (for a living).

In the style of Scott Meyer's C++ books, Joshua Bloch - the head behind several modern Java libraries - presents the essential tricks of the trade and best practises when it comes to Java programming. This is essential when you want to write highly maintainable, efficient modern Java code.

The second edition puts a lot of emphasis on all the new language features that came with Java 5
Score: 3.5/5

Effective Java: even the title is concise and to-the-point, like the rest of the book's writing. This is not a book for beginners, but rather a book on general software design concepts, particularly with respect to Java itself. The book is organized into a few dozen "items", most of which follow this format:
1) "Here's a suggestion. You should probably follow it."
2) "Here's an example of following it, here's an example of why not following it is bad, and here's an example of when you
Although it is a bit outdated, 90% of the book contains great advise for any Java programmer. If you have not read this then you do not know how to program Java.
Anton Petrov
By far the best programming book I have ever read to date.
This is a unique and very worthwhile work for experienced Java developers who want to take their Java skills to the next level. It assumes that the reader is fully comfortable programming in Java, and gives a collection of tips on how to exploit certain language features, how to avoid various pitfalls, and so forth. The book makes frequent reference to design patterns, but it is not a design patterns book. It is also distinct from a “software engineering” book, but rather concentrates on aspects ...more
If most programmers consider Core Java to be the best book for beginners, they should think about “Effective Java” as the best book for intermediate and more advanced Java programmers.
After this book my awareness about how good Java code should look like improved a lot. I learnt a lot of interesting and useful approaches to developing code in different situations. And, in spite of being heavily packed of knowledge, I can not say that reading this book was difficult. It was a nice lecture althoug
This book impressed me with the amount of practical use-cases of Java subtleties and intricacies -- for example, the proper implementation of "equals" method in classes.

The author not only shows us some common misconceptions about the "low level" Java mechanics (not the native level, but the basics of the language and the Java API), but also gives us many examples from his rich carreer.

It is my opinion that understanding the basics of Java (it turns out many of us don't) is the key to avoiding m
John Chilton
If you program Java, you must read this book. You won't learn any new syntax, language feature, library, or framework, but you will be a much better programmer as a result of reading this book. Its the best anything on Java I have read. I don't agree with 100% of the material in this book, but Joshua Bloch has a strong, clear opinions and he argues them well. This book is so good, I think you should read it even if you aren't a Java programmer but program C#, C++, or something else along those l ...more
This book is simply brilliant. Updated to the most recent language specification it covers a lot of issues and caveats that almost every Java developer encounters every day. The author is the guy who has designed and implemented the Collections framework and he knows his subject very well. This book can and definitely will increase one's productivity dramatically. The only obvious prerequisite is that a reader should already know and have experience in Java. Otherwise it would be better to inves ...more
Bhakta Kishor Behera
Java is a set of several computer software and specifications developed by Sun Microsystems, later acquired by Oracle Corporation, that provides a system for developing application software and deploying it in a cross-platform computing environment. Java is used in a wide variety of computing platforms from embedded devices and mobile phones to enterprise servers and supercomputers. While less common, Java applets run in secure, sandboxed environments to provide many features of native applicati ...more
Jordi Gil
5/5 Stars

Absolutely a must have read for any Java developer regardless of experience and knowledge. Even after more than 10 years using Java I was still amazed to learn so many things from this book. Granted there are things I have never needed or used (such as developing my own public API's), but there were a few things that I usually do that helped me to understand better the language and improve my coding skills.

The book is split into 78 chapters, grouped by different areas of the Java langua
Venkat Pedapati
If you have already done a few years of programming in an object oriented programming language like Java, this book might make you very uncomfortable. More than saying what to do, this book stresses on what not to do in Java and you'll thank for it in the long term.

The tips are organised into items each of few pages and can be read independently.
Easy to read for a programming book. Great information about the best way to use java. Also contains many sections detailing how changes in java affect how you should implement your code.

Excellent for Java developers keeping current on Java
Amazing book that I would recommend every Java developer have in his library. This book covers the best practices aspects of programming Java that are pretty hard to pick up without years and years of trial and error and seeing what works best.
Owen Lindsell
Points out loads of really important pitfalls that you really should know if you want to write quality code. In a style that's informative and enjoyable.
Roger Camargo
Varias dicas para não cometermos erros comuns de programação em Java. Recomendo a leitura
Kenneth Miller
An excellent series of recommendations about how to author high quality Java software. It was given to me by my manager at Amazon during my internship, and I read it as much as I could. This is a book that really makes you think about what you're doing in authoring software-you shouldn't just hammer out code as fast as you can, you have to actually consider what you're doing and the implications down the road. This book helped further cement in me the drive to make the software that I write exhi ...more
Max Savchenko
Одна из немногих книг, написанная, как мне кажется, не по принципу "Мне платят за количество строк", а "У меня есть куча умных мыслей, которыми я готов поделиться". Содержит пачку советов и решений по тем или иным вопросам, с которыми сталкивается разработчик каждый день. Причем почти в каждом пункте автор помимо описания проблемы приводит быстрый и кривой вариант решения, а потом - корректный и красивый (с объяснением, почему надо делать именно так, а не иначе). Прекрасное чтиво для Java-програ ...more
Great book but some parts can be skipped.

By chapters:

2 Creating and Destroying Objects.
Really interesting chapter but I didn't use these tips in practice.

3 Methods Common to All Objects.
You really should read this part, especially if you have no or little experience.

4 Classes and Interfaces.
Good OO advices.
One note: I prefer protected access over private because you can't know all use cases of your code.

5 Generics.
I think these advices are quite obvious nowadays.

6 Enums and Annotations.
Moayad Taibah
Chapters Read: 2 through 10

This book is a hands-on guide and a reference that should be kept by the side of any java developer. It provides a list of dos and donts in when creating and handling different data structures in java and it does so by providing a fully-fledged, working examples and explaining what went wrong, or right.

The minor disadvantage this book has is that I felt it was tailored for java as it references a lot of its library. However, I read this book as part of a course and I
This is a fantastic book. It gives you a ton of bite sized ways to improve your code, that seem to be able to make wonders for your programs when used in aggregate.

I especially enjoyed the chapters on Serialization and Concurrency, as I feel these topics are not adequately represented in more basic books about Java. The chapters more concerned with API design had a similar vibe to Martin Odersky's "Programming in Scala" and the general feel of the Scala language, despite some philosophical diffe
Jonny Andersson
I came to love this book already after I have had read the first edition of it. I didn't know much about it before that. I had just heard that it is good but I was just knocked and my first impression was that I should have read this book already a lot earlier! I read the first edition two times to catch as much as possible from it. I am not sure if I have read the second edition two or three times now to repeat it and update myself when it have been a while since my last reading. Anyone that ca ...more
Rahma Naveed
import java.util.Scanner;
public class JavaApplication54 {

* @param args the command line arguments
public static void main(String[] args) {
// TODO code application logic here
Scanner in= new Scanner (;
int c=in.nextInt();
System.out.println("enter your math test mark in test 1");
int d=in.nex
Dzmitry Kishylau
I was looking for a refresher book on Java that wouldn't start with an explanation of what a class and an object is, or Hello World program. This book worked perfectly. Some of the chapters are a real pain to read, but it's clearly Java's fault, not the author's.
"Great how-to resource for the experienced developer."

Classes should be immutable unless there’s a very good reason to make them mutable.

There are several classes in the Java platform libraries, such as java.util.Date and java.awt.Point, that should have been immutable but aren’t.

selection among overloaded methods is static, while selection among overridden methods is dynamic

just because you can overload methods doesn’t mean you should

More computing sins are committed in the name o
Jyri-matti Lähteenmäki
Excellent book for every Java developer.

However, the book is quite concentrated on API development so many of the items aren't really appropriate (or even sensible) for "regular coding". The reader should be aware of this.
Nick Black
Before I head off to Google in NYC next February, I'm doing three months of contract work for a Java shop in Atlanta. I picked this up to refresh my Java skills, which have grown rusty in the decade-plus since taking and then TA'ing the Java-based Introduction to Computer Science as a freshman at GT. A quick and useful guide in the line of Scott Meyers's Effective C++ and More Effective C++, on which Mr. Bloch seems to have consciously based his book.
Salil Wadnerkar
Excellent job by the author. It is easy to understand and packs a lot of useful information in its 200+ pages. Every Java developer should get this book. Highly recommended!
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Java Performance
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“One advantage of static factory methods is that, unlike constructors, they have names.” 3 likes
“A second advantage of static factory methods is that, unlike constructors, they are not required to create a new object each time they're invoked.” 1 likes