Start by marking “Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism” as Want to Read:
Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism

Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism

Formulated during the Vietnam War, these ethical guidelines remain a penetrating expression of traditional Buddhist morality and how to come to terms with contemporary issues.

Interbeing offers a practical blueprint for living mindfully, one that has proven useful and meaningful to people from all walks of life. The book also includes a brief history, ceremonies, and the re
Published November 1st 1987 by Parallax Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Interbeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interbeing

Start your review of Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism
Melanie
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfic
"Our own life is the instrument through which we experiment with truth" (p. 8)

"When we grow a lemon tree, we want it to be vigorous and beautiful. But, if it isn't vigorous and beautiful, we don't blame the tree. We observe it in order to understand why it isn't growing well. Perhaps we have not taken good care of it. We know it is funny to blame a lemon tree, but we do blame human beings when they are not growing well. Because our brothers, sisters, and children are humans, we think they should
Jim Thompson
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is more of a manual, a sort of "functional" book, rather than something to sit down and read. I've read many of Thich Nhat Hanh's books, almost all of them have been good, but this one is... I guess the word would be "useful." It lays out the fourteen mindfulness trainings (precepts, really) of the Order of Interbeing. It also includes some recitation ceremonies and the Order's charter, which are interesting and useful but mostly repetitive.

Good stuff, worth the read. But it's not supposed
Jayme
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok

The first section of this book lists, then provides an overview of, the 14 precepts developed by the author for a Buddhist social justice organisation he led during in Vietnam during the war there. The commentary is interesting, but not compelling. I didn't find that that concepts were easily applicable to my own life. The second part of the book provides instruction for the ritualized chanting of these precepts - again, not terribly useful.
Joeri
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
This book offers valuable insights for those interested in bringing certain Buddhist-insights into practice. It can help people to show the way on how to really alleviate suffering through practical action, inspired by Buddhist-philosophy. It's applicable to modern life, encouraging us to find ways to alleviate suffering in our daily lifes as part of our livelihood, occupation and consumption. With this Buddhism can transcend the realm of the meditationhalls.
Tom Darrow
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Contains an explanation of fourteen guidelines for Busshism, but they are ideas that almost anyone would benefit from and live a better life. That makes up the first half of the book. The second half, which consists of scripts for religious ceremonies, is what I view as being filler, or an attempt to justify a higher price for a book.
T.
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent study guide for the Fourteen Guidelines.
Anne
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
A great overview of the 14 precepts. Some great working wisdom to apply to everyday life. Writing that is accessible to anyone--do not need to be Buddhist to understand Hanh's writing.

Leonardo Maldonado
Feb 26, 2008
Mark
Dec 29, 2007
Wasi
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2016

• Silence: In the Age of Noise
  • Mentors: How to Help and be Helped
  • Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
  • Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul
  • Men, Women, and Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough
  • Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds
  • I Moved Your Cheese: For Those Who Refuse to Live as Mice in Someone Else's Maze
  • The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10)
  • Home Security: The Secure Dad's Guide: Easy Home Defense Techniques to Keep Your Family Safe
  • An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith