Start by marking “Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills” as Want to Read:
Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

Have you ever struggled to complete a design project on time? Or felt that having a tight deadline stifled your capacity for maximum creativity? If so, then this book is for you.

Within these pages, you'll find 80 creative challenges that will help you achieve a breadth of stronger design solutions, in various media, within any set time period. Exercises range from creating
Published November 24th 2010 by HOW Books (first published October 28th 2010)

Andrea James
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general
I'm not a designer or even someone who works in a strictly creative industry (unless you consider business consulting "creative") so with that caveat, here is my review.

I was interested in this book because partly because I like exercises to stimulate ideas and solutions to problems (even seemingly boring business problems). And also because I deliver training sessions and so I'm always on the lookout for ways to give people insights. If it takes a creative exercise to bring about an ah-ha momen
Victoria H.
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Exactly what I needed! This a classroom post-degree exercise book. As a recent graduate with graphic design knowledge and skills in back pocket, this book introduces exciting self projects to get your creative gears moving and reinforces the habit of sketching (which, I believe is an underappreciated initiation of design solving for many).

This is THE book for creating items for your portfolio.

Each exercise includes rules, time restraints, examples of others work, and a possibility to manufactu
Camila
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is an interesting tool for when you as a designer feel your creativity is drained out. Each "chapter" is an activity to hone your designing skills. I didn't do the activities just yet but some of them look really daring.
Cindy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great way to become inspired and get going. I do a couple of exercises in here and it's enough for me to push out 4-8 visually appealing prototypes to be turned into high fidelity prototypes later on.
Amelia
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great fun even for non designers like my boyfriend and myself! Creative and interactive challenges--have given it as a gift to two designer friends so far who have enjoyed it.
ASHLEY SELMAN
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In formative and to the point....

The author is very creative in keeping the readers interest. I almost stopped reading a few time yet it seemed the next sentence or chapter heading would pull me back in.
Laurian
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ux
It took me a while to read this book because there wasn't much pulling me forward. But, that said, I found it to be pretty interesting and provocative. While I have yet to try any of the ideas, it did serve as a creative stepping stone to me creating my own ideas of activities I can do.

My only real criticism is I was hoping that the activities would be more at a beginner level. Some of them, I think, would require some hefty graphic design skills that many who are "designers" don't have.
Yunju Chen
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ux-stuff
Good design reference book, the last two sections: "innovation" and "interpretation" are particularly intriguing.
Michelle
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for providing creative projects and ideas to develop creativity and sharpen design skills
Dirk
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title was somewhat confusing to me, but in the end i liked the book. It just makes you think in a creative way.
Mills College Library
Apr 29, 2018
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design Thinking
  • The Graphic Design Exercise Book
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Color Design Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Color in Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Graphic: Inside the Sketchbooks of the World's Great Graphic Designers
  • Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices that Matter)
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • Design Is the Problem
  • Layout Index
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines
  • Thoughts on Interaction Design
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
David Sherwin is a creative director and and interaction designer that has created or co-authored multiple books and toolkits that help people become better problem solvers and business thinkers. Currently, he is a Principal Designer at frog, a global innovation firm, and a Senior Lecturer at California College of the Arts in the BFA in Interaction Design program. In his free time, he mentors desi ...more
“Artists can color the sky red because they know it’s blue. Those of us who aren’t artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we’re stupid.” —Jules Feiffer” 3 likes
“Art is the elimination of the unnecessary.” —Pablo Picasso” 2 likes