Start by marking “Unpacked: Travel Disaster Stories by Tony Wheeler and Other Lonely Planet Authors” as Want to Read:

Every traveler has a horror story to tell: lost luggage, bad weather, illness or worse. In this lively collection of travel disaster tales, Lonely Planet writers share their worst moments of life on the road.
From Kenya to Sri Lanka, from Brazil to Finland, from the Australian outback to India, these travelers encounter hurricanes, road accidents, secret police and nasty
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Unpacked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unpacked

Start your review of Unpacked: Travel Disaster Stories by Tony Wheeler and Other Lonely Planet Authors
Nik von Schulmann
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Travel is all about adventures and this book certainly has many. Some of the stories are much better than others so the whole book is a bit hit and miss. It took me a while to get through but all in all I enjoyed it.
Christopher
Jul 18, 2007 rated it did not like it
LONELY PLANET UNPACKED, one of the first in LP's line of Journeys travel stories, is a collection of reminisces by twenty-six Lonely Planet travel guide writers about disastrous experiences on the road, from getting robbed to waking up with a scabies infection in a bed and breakfast. The idea may sound interesting, but the book isn't much fun at all.

The first thing that hits the reader is the low level of much of the prose. While these travel guide writers may be experts at compiling a useful
Amy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up from an airport many years ago so I'd have something to read on a flight, and I remember enjoying it immensely then, and on a reread, I still found it quite entertaining. A few of these stories seemed a bit dry, and I'm sure they'd be much improved if the author was telling them in a game of one-upmanship disaster stories that happens with fellow travelers.

The most dated thing about this book was not the lack of technology, but rather the mentions of traveling with the
Owen
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
More inconvenience stories here. Most of the stories have something go wrong but very few of the incidents approach being disasters. The writing varies, guidebook writers not always being great at full narrative. Some get a nice sense of place or character but not enough to bother reading this. Don't Shit in the Toilet was more successful, inconsistent as it was, with at least real disaster stories and writing with character. For all of the potential stories which must have happened to Lonely ...more
Elisa
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked this book up off of my parents bookshelf. I enjoyed the short stories of misadventure. As I read I realized that although I liked reading about the Travel Writers' adventures, I had no desire to be able to tell some of these tales myself. I wish I were more adventurous, but alas, I like to keep my distance from the edge. But overall they were fun stories about how the unexpected can still have an upside.
KC
Sep 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a desire to travel
This is a collection of disaster stories from writers for the Lonely Planet travel guide series. Some of the stories were interesting and captivating, but others just fell short. I learned that I never want to travel to any Russian territory or formally ruled country, nor to most of Asia. This book serves as a great jumping off point for other travel stories. I want to read more of what Lonely Planet has to offer. A short read; I read it in only 1 day.
Bridge
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
There is nothing great about this book - I probably have as entertaining travel stories as some of them, but it is a fun and easy read and I really liked it. I think it's always interesting to read about travel adventures and new places. Also it's fun to dream that I could work for Lonely Planet some day...
Kelli
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Unpacked is a collection of travel experiences written by travel writers who work for Lonely Planet. The most interesting thing about this book is the essays take place in remote and unusual areas that it seems that few people actually travel to. The writing is stiff--clearly written by travel writers rather than essayists.
K.
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I've read a few of LP's books and I generally like them all, including this one. I love travel stories and used to dream of writing for LP and National Geographic, so these stories are great reading for me. If you like travel stories, read this.
Haly Boris
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Found and read it in a hostel while I was traveling. It's refreshing to know that even Lonely Planet contributors get some bad luck when traveling abroad! A couple of stories were hard to follow and awkwardly written, but most of them made me want to travel further and farther.
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I never had the personal fortitude necessary to even think about a backpacking-type of holiday but it was interesting reading about the experiences of others...I still have no inclination to take any sort of a backpacker's holiday but at least I've had a bit of living vicariously now.
Cameron Mcconnell
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Eclectic mix of stories from all over the globe. All were concise and had a range of troubles in the far flung corners of the world. Many were specific to being a travel writer and the demands of deadlines, but was a fun, easy read for a person who enjoys pushing boundaries.
Tracy
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I recommend for a fun look at other travellers tragedies and misadventures.

Read the full review at OurBookClub
Pam
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fun, insightful, fascinating. These stories of Lonely Planet writers all over the world is the perfect armchair travelers book.
Charity Hall
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
A couple of the stories had me laughing uproariously. Others were either confusing or just sort of ...meh. But it is a fun read on a plane!
Jim
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Travelling is great but it can all go wrong...
Dweintrop
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
a few of the stories were good - but mostly the stories were pretty lame and it was just travel writers trying to be novelists and not doing a very good job
Catsalive
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Things to look back on and laugh about, but tough going at the time.
Ashley Calvert
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun read, but some of the stories fell flat,
Marie
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Quick, fun read of various Lonely Planet writers. The only one I really didn't like was Tony Wheeler's.
Adrian Jenkins
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Great stuff from the Lonely Planet team
Nicole
May 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
a collection of different travelogues, assorted as individual chapters. each one stands alone and can be read in short order - you can get your fix of travel writing quickly.
Kathy Mcpherson
Some stories more exciting than others but I love travel books!
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
I read this in my backpacking days. Good fun although I'm pretty convinced that some of my many hair-raising experiences make these seem abit tame!
Cindy
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
mostly lame... uneven writing, no beef
Randy
Aug 31, 2007 is currently reading it
I'm digging reading this one piecemeal. Esp good to take along road-tripping or sitting on the john; really any maximum adventure.
Rodrigo Pérez
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Short stories on travels. Somes are amusing, others are not.
Carl Smith-owens