Start by marking “Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More” as Want to Read:
Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More

Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More

(Quick and Dirty Tips)

Want to conquer your e-mail inbox once and for all? Need help getting organized and staying focused? Start reading! Millions of people already benefit from the innovative, time-saving tips that Stever Robbins dispenses each week in his #1 ranked Get-It-Done Guy podcast. Now he's come up with a 9-step plan to transform even the most overwhelmed into an overachiever. You wil ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More

Julie Clarke
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was little cheesy at times, but I got some great organization ideas. I learned about Mind Mapping. It's a great way to sort your brainstorming ideas.
Janalyn Voigt
When a self-help book crosses your path at just the right moment, it can be a happy marriage of serendipity and desperation. Such was the case when I received a copy of Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More. Stever Robbins, thank you for writing this book. I've found it life-changing.

I tend toward organization myself, and I have a few systems working for me, but Stever's advice to put together a "Life Map" resonated. The book is worth its purchase price for this gem alone but it do
Patrick

I LOVE repetitive data! ...no...no I don't.

You see I'm working on a Werewolf army, and have been asking for help along the way. One source of help has been a voice in my head. A voice that has talked to me about once a week for over a year (Let's call him Mr. Robbins the Podcaster).

While the first chapter of this book was FRESH and NEW and joyful as a spring day with Hobbits, the other chapters were largely repetitions of data I'd learned from the podcast....er...voice.

I HIGHLY rec
Naomi Young
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me say up front that I have this book in all three editions: paper, Kindle, and audio. Does that give you some idea how well Stever resonates with me?

There really are only so many basic ideas in a time management or personal efficiency book. We even know what they are. Our grandmothers told us. What we don't do is connect the ideas to what we do day-to-day.

Therefore, Stever's 9 steps: Live on purpose; stop procrastinating; conquer technology; beat distractions to cultivate focus; stay orga
Tom Hinkle
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Overwhelmed? Overworked? Don't feel there are enough hours in a day? Or, would you like to learn about how to refine some of your organization skills and work habits? Mr. Robbins has written this to help you work less and do more. It is an easy to read book that contains excellent ideas condensed into nine steps to help you work more efficiently but do less. The book is full of every day examples that help you relate the topic's objective with events in your life. (Well, with the exception of th ...more
Ben Kester
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb-botm
Most productivity books are more helpful than fun. You know most of the information, but the 10% new/forgotten/rephrased can be quite useful. GIDG isn't an exception.

Stever brings an over-the-top personality, which at least gives you a few surprises. He speaks intelligently, though some of his advice is dated even after a few years.

This book is more of a catch-all than advocating for one particular system. If the first page of a chapter doesn't interest you, you can safel
Hector Chicas
I'm not sure this book should be an audiobook which is the form in which I consumed it. It was of great practical value but you have to stay committed.
This book shows you the 'how'. The 'what' will be different by individual and the 'why' is probably the reason why most people would be inclined to read a book like this in the first place.
So assuming you already have a strong desire to get your life organized you can actually sit down and study this book ( I really wish I had the hard copy
DDog
Really enjoyed this one. First lengthy ebook I've read on my phone, and it was a great experience. I hate highlighting print books, but I made heavy use of iBooks' highlighter for particularly profound passages. Since I've listened to the podcast for years, I read the book in Stever's voice which made it even better. The mix of material I had already heard on the podcast with things that were new to me was good. I expect I will use plenty of his tips in whole or in part. Can't hurt to try it and ...more
Kevin Eikenberry
People ask me all the time, “what is the best new time management book out there?” My flippant response is typically, “read the one you already have on your shelf, and use what it recommends.”

9 Steps to Work Less and Do MoreI think this book’s author would appreciate the tone of my response. Stever Robbins, host of the very popular Get-it-Done Guy podcast, is the author.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Jessie Entwistle
Love it! Working less and Doing More

I've been an avid listener of the Get It Done Guy podcast since I was in high school and I've been excited to read Stever's book since I heard of it. Now that I've had the chance, I am glad that I spent my time reading this book. He really breaks down the steps to being efficient at work into bite-sized chunks. It has steps and strategies that I have begun to implement in my own work life with excellent results.
Margot
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who feels like time is enemy #1.
This was a really great, quick read on actionable steps to make your life more efficient and organized. And Robbins presents his material in a fun, straight-forward, way that is quite relevant to the younger working generation. I've read a number of these types of books and yet found quite a few gem ideas in here that I'd never come across before. Definitely worth the time to read through and implement Robbins' relevant suggestions.
Shannon
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crystal Buck, Lenore Michelinie, Lisa Reiner
I'm always thinking about ways I can improve my work flow and get more accomplished. This book has some excellent points that I haven't come across anywhere else. The author writes with infectious enthusiasm, too: this makes for a fun, exciting read. The topics discussed pertain to both work and personal life.
Nancy
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: Stever Robbins
Even if I forget everything else in this book, this tip will change my life: instead of deciding what to do with "stuff," throw it all away and decide what's worth rescuing from the trash. (Obviously you rescue it before it makes it into the trash - please don't rustle through the trash for chocolate and say I told you to do it.)
Vex
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A productivity book that is also fun(ny). Nothing new or earth-shattering, but I like to read these kinds of books to keep me motivated. I appreciated the tip to decide what to take off your plate when you add to it - I usually keep signing up for new projects and then wonder why I get busier and busier!
Trevor Moss
Great little book about getting things done and streamlining everyday tasks. Stever has a unique way of writing and his humor is hard to miss. A light read with useful tips to as the title says work less and accomplish more.
Cherie Taylor
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical organization book. Told with humor and enthusiasm that makes it a enjoyable read. While some of the content is repeated, especially if you are a devotee of his podcast, it is typically information that bears repeating.
Zhi Han
It is funny interesting and has a few points. Beyond that this book does not leave too much impression. Stever wants to write a book so he writes it. I do not even remember the 9 steps and the many mini-steps in the book.
Christine
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Really a 3.5. Some great ideas, and Stever Robbins' tone is fresh and funny. A few times I think the funny didn't *quite* translate, but overall the book was a quick read (and I'm a slow reader)and had a lot of good stuff.
Emmalene Umar
Awesome book with plenty of ways to get more out of life. Not just about how to save time, but also about doing things with purpose. Very cool book, lots of interesting tangents because Stever has a pretty quirky way of communicating, which I love.
Rebekah
Pretty good advice--kind of like GTD lite. Includes time management as well as goal management techniques. I found the cutesy 'voice' somewhat cloying, but for anyone that's intimidated by productivity, this would be a good place to start!
Lori Grant
A must-read book on time management which is a critical competency as you manage your career or startup.
Paula Gilarde
Got a few good ideas from this. The tone was goofy and playful which made a change from other books in this genre.
Tom Donaghy
Jun 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
If you have any common sense you don't need to read this book.
Margaret
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good, simple, practical ideas to help you keep your life organized.
Anne Velosa
Stever's easy going style made learning, or relearning, various strategies enjoyable. Several of his suggestions have spurred me to take action, and I've achieved positive results.
Terry Luedecke
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Streamlined, easy-to-follow guidance to get things done.
Chel Minnick
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm in love with Stever's podcast from Q&D. The book is much of the same stuff so far.
Pam Silva
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and dirty self help book. Its a nice one to pick up now again to re-organize and re-focus the work/life balance. Stever also spoke at a conference I attended and he's fabulous!
Sankar Vyakaranam
Great practical book. A fan of his blog and picked up this book and no regrets what so ever. So many implementable ideas!
Lorry Schoenly
I've read this book twice and will probably read it again. Good, practical advice.

• Edit Yourself: A Manual for Everyone Who Works with Words
  • Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide to Successful Meetings, Corporate Events, Fundraising Galas, Conferences, Conventions, Incentives and Other Special Events
  • Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research
  • Air & Light & Time & Space: How Successful Academics Write
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations that Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Common Mistakes in English
  • Workarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands in Your Way at Work
  • Control Your Day: A New Approach to Email Management Using Microsoft Outlook and Getting Things Done
  • I Rize
  • Puzzles to Puzzle You
  • The Answer to Bad Religion Is Not No Religion: A Guide to Good Religion for Seekers, Skeptics, and Believers
  • Becoming The 1%: How To Master Productivity And Rise To The Top In 7 Days
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read
  • The Activist's Handbook: A Primer
  • The Good Marriage: How and Why Love Lasts
  • The Creation of the Media: Political Origins of Modern Communications

Quick and Dirty Tips (7 books)
  • Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich
  • The Winning Investor's Guide to Making Money in Any Market
  • Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
  • The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl
  • Money Girl's Smart Moves to Deal with Your Debt
  • Money Girl's 10 Steps to a Debt-Free Life
“Stop doing stuff that doesn’t help you reach your goals. It sounds simple, doesn’t it? It’s a shame almost no one does it. The most common way we work more and do less is by working on the wrong stuff. We spend our time doing, doing, doing, even if the doing has nothing to do with our goals, business, or life.” 6 likes
“Asking why you are doing something serves as a check and always moves your focus back to the big picture. Asking why helps you find out if your actions have come unglued from your goals. In theory, you could do this as often as every day, reviewing your to-do list to make sure it ties to your bigger goals. In my perfect fantasy world, I check my actions against my goals every day. In real life, once a week or once every other week is more realistic.” 2 likes