Start by marking “All about Asset Allocation” as Want to Read:
All about Asset Allocation

All about Asset Allocation

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  627 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
WHEN IT COMES TO INVESTING FOR YOUR FUTURE, THERE'S ONLY ONE SURE BET--ASSET ALLOCATION THE EASY WAY TO GET STARTED Everything You Need to Know About How To: Implement a smart asset allocation strategy Diversify your investments with stocks, bonds, real estate, and other classes Change your allocation and lock in gains

Trying to outwit the market is a bad gamble. If you're
ebook, Second Edition, 336 pages
Published July 12th 2010 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published September 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about All about Asset Allocation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All about Asset Allocation

Chad Warner
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: investors
Recommended to Chad by: The Index Investing Show
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
The best book I’ve read on asset allocation. It’s a practical guide to constructing a portfolio based on modern portfolio theory (MPT). Full of recent data (2010), studies, charts and graphs, it’s relatively easy to read, but better for intermediate investors, not beginners.

Research shows that about 90% of portfolio performance depends on asset allocation. I liked the point that the goal of investing isn't to get rich; it's to not get poor. Ferri’s advice: don’t try to outguess the markets, but
Sergey Morovshik
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top
Книга хорошо готовит читателя к инвестициям, особенно новичка который планирует куда-то вкладывать средства. В основном рассмотрены инструменты и примеры для долгосрочных стратегий от 3-5 лет и более.
Все выводы и рекомендации автора подкреплены статистикой и графиками с рынка. Особенно понравилось, что уделено внимание, что инвесторы бывают разные и важно понимать куда ты отнесёшь себя. Пенсионер, молодой и зрелый инвестор сильно отличаются в подходе и как собирать свой индивидуальный портфель
Thomas
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ferri has been extremely helpful in my financial education. Although I have read most of his material online, I decided to read this book to see if it would be a good read for some of my students and family members.

I think that every person should familiarize themselves with strategic asset allocation and passive index investing. I prefer a simple portfolio that I control and this book is helpful in helping you develop a asset allocation that meets your goals.

One critique, he could of more sim
Tyler
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-finance
This was a really helpful book that added a lot to my investment knowledge and helped me know how to make a plan for my future. I highly recommend it to anybody looking to better understand all the jargon about different types of assets and what they do and how to choose which ones might be appropriate for your portfolio.

Here are the notes I took for myself as I read, much of which is taken frum summarized points at the beginning of each chapter of the book.

Investment planning is critical to lon
Todd N
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
I took my time with this book to absorb all the data. This is an excellent overview of the theory of asset allocation with plenty of examples mixed in. Highly recommended as a follow on to Intelligent Asset Allocator.

The first part of the book goes over the different asset classes in detail with a lot of examples. Then correlation is covered, showing how weakly correlated asset classes combined in a portfolio can reduce risk and increase return.

The end of the book is a little rushed. It covers (
Shirley
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've read many books on investing and this is the book I would recommend that a new investor read before any others. It may be the only book on the subject they will ever need. The author does a great job of de-mystifying "modern portfolio theory" and providing practical advice on how to apply the research knowledge as an individual investor. His explanation of the technical support for allocation of investment dollars by specific asset classes is the best I've found. It won't satisfy someone wh ...more
Oli
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Fine refresher on asset allocation and rebalancing. The discussion of taxes and fees is quite clear and helpful. I liked the overview of asset classes and related low cost funds, as well as the discussion of life cycle considerations. The prose is not very inspiring but the language is clear. If you are new to the topic, I would suggest Bernstein's books instead.
Richard Staves
Don't read it unless you are a geek like me.
Ryan Dansie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very useful to understand the thinking behind the often touted numbers of investing.
William Frick
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly practical, very informative.
Alaeddin Hallak
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read before you decide how to allocate your personal investing money.
Krenzel
Jun 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
With the current banking crisis and volatile markets, many investors are facing a lot of stress. Unfortunately, they may feel even more panicked if they are watching CNBC or listening to their brokers instead of doing their own research and developing a long-term strategy that will give them confidence during market downturns. In his book, "All About Asset Allocation," author Richard A. Ferri (a portfolio manager, professor of finance, and Chartered Financial Analyst) gives readers the investing ...more
Andrew Barkett
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yo300
This is the best of many books I have read about investing. Asset allocation accounts for 90% of portfolio performance, and this book explains it well.
THOMAS M KEITHLY
Good Information On Investing

I was looking for a good source of information on mutual funds and ETFs, especially for those in retirement. This was informative, especially about diversification.
Daniel
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book could be really good but unfortunately is let down in a few areas.

Rick has a good, consistent way of demonstrating and measuring the advantages of diversifying between different asset types. In doing so he also gives a good explanation of modern portfolio theory and the "efficient frontier".

Here's where it falls short:
It is myopically written for Americans. While I can understand that the author might want to stick to the environment and laws with which he is familiar, it would have at
Alexa
Jun 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
How does this book maintain such a good review average? While it contains a few good pieces of information, the writing is absolutely horrible.

The entire book reads like a high school student essay. You know the type - where the student has to repeat their thesis and main points ad nauseam. This book could be trimmed to less than half its current length and not lose any valuable information. And never mind all the spelling and grammatical mistakes too... (How is this the book's second edition an
Marshall
This is the best nuts-and-bolts investing book I've read. There are a lot of investing books out there that explain how investing works, but they come up short when it comes to explaining exactly how to put together an investment portfolio. This book is the opposite. It focuses entirely on putting together a portfolio, explaining what pieces are needed and why, but it assumes the reader has a general understanding.

This book is based on passive investing and Modern Portfolio Theory, so if you're
Steve
A nice, not too difficult read, with plenty of charts and figures but not too much real math or deep theory.

I like how Modern Portfolio Theory was introduced in the 1950's, with Harry Markowitz's "Portfolio Selection". And yet so many people still don't know about it (I didn't, this time last year).

The first part of the book briefly introduces asset allocation. The second and largest part is an overview of the major asset classes. The last section discusses portfolio management principles.

Ferri
Noah Sanchez
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that should be read before you start investing. I'd pair this book w/ The Boglehead's Guide to Investing. They both subscribe to John Bogle's philosophy on investing, and both provide strategy to accomplish this.

I wouldn't say this one differs from Bogglehead's Guide to Investing as much as I would say it adds to it. Where the former covers everything from beginning to end, All About Asset Allocation goes deeper (without getting bogged down in minutia) into how to select the types
Nathaniel
Aug 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
Provides analysis of various asset allocation strategies, teaching the basics of Modern Portfolio Theory, and delving into the numbers, showing how different strategies have perform ed both in nominal and real terms. Includes analysis of rather esoteric asset classes (precious metals, fine art, hedge funds, etc.), but focuses on the basics (stocks, bonds, REITs, both national and international).

Ferri closes the book with recommendations for asset allocation for people in different age groups wit
Linden
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: financial
I'm working my way through William Bernstein's reading list from the "If You Can" pamphlet.

"All About Asset Allocation" is an excellent introduction to Modern Portfolio Theory. There is a good discussion of the characteristics of various asset classes, volatility reduction using asset classes that are not perfectly correlated, as well as some guidance about which asset classes are not worth using at all (i.e. gold and commodities).

I don't agree with 100% of the recommendations (i.e. I don't thin
Harry Robinson
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Boglehead for over ten years now, and have read many of Rick Ferri's articles on finance. This is the first of his books that I've read; and I am impressed. The subject matter is one that interests me; and I found Ferri's analysis to be clear and easily understandable.

He presents the fundamental concepts of modern portfolio theory clearly; supported by multiple charts and graphs. He simplifies the more complex ideas for the nontechnical reader, but does not get so simplistic as to "g
Renaud
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a good introduction to asset allocation. It contains many examples and detailed numbers about correlation and past performance of many asset classes. I read this book after The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing and it really helped me feel confident about my asset allocation strategy. This is the perfect book if you want an in depth, but approachable analysis of the different asset classes available to the retail investor.
Michael Higgins
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: investing
Very good coverage of the basics. At times he is more detail oriented than I am. Recommended an emergency cash fund in retirement with 2 years cash. Other than that point, not nearly so conservative as post subprime Bernstein. My recollection is that he even notes some investors may be at 70% equity in retirement.
Ricardo Fiorelli
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the best demonstration of the Asset Allocation Investment Strategy I've read. It covers from the technical part and everything type of asset you can invest in and also he psychological part of investor as anxiety.
João Henrique Dimas
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Muito bom para explicar os conceitos. Aprendi muito com este livro.
Infelizmente as informações específicas sobre fundos e rentabilidades estimadas são exclusivas dos Estados Unidos.
Vale a pena ler e tirar uma ideia geral sobre alocação de ativos.
Clem
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In-depth details on the formation of your own asset allocation, and plenty of good advice all around to follow it. It's definitely a must-read once you have understood the importance of low-cost/passive investing, perhaps by reading other books prior to this.
Jeremy
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A straight-forward guide to asset allocation for the passive investor. Mr Ferri has struck a good balance between theory and practicalities. Well-researched and easy to read but suffers from many grammatical mistakes and typographical errors.
Niniane Wang
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather dry, but informative. It is a condensed version of other books such as "Random Walk Down Wall Street". It's good as a supplemental resource, but I suggest first reading Random Walk or "Four Pillars of Investing".
Ravi Dawar
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read on asset allocations and how to build a portfolio for the long term. The book is simple to understand and best part is that every concept is followed with an example from the real world of investing.
  • The Intelligent Asset Allocator: How to Build Your Portfolio to Maximize Returns and Minimize Risk
  • The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street: Golden Rules Any Investor Can Learn
  • The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Invests Today
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • Asset Allocation: Balancing Financial Risk
  • Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation
  • The Psychology of Trading: Tools and Techniques for Minding the Markets
  • Your Money and Your Brain
  • The Little Book of Main Street Money: 21 Simple Truths That Help Real People Make Real Money
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • The Elements of Investing
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Value Averaging: The Safe and Easy Strategy for Higher Investment Returns
  • Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich
“The category of small-cap value represents approximately 3 percent of the capitalization of the broad U.S. market.” 0 likes
“Investors who followed a broadly diversified asset allocation that included a total market fund and a small value index fund would have faired very well during the past decade.” 0 likes