Start by marking “Understanding White Privilege: Creating Pathways to Authentic Relationships Across Race” as Want to Read:

Racial privilege is hard to see for those who were born with access to power and resources. Yet it is very visible for those to whom it was not granted. Understanding White Privilege is written for individuals and those in organizations who grapple with race every day, as well as for those who believe they don't need to. It is written for those who have tried to build auth ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Routledge (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding White Privilege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding White Privilege

Start your review of Understanding White Privilege: Creating Pathways to Authentic Relationships Across Race
Alice
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does no good sitting on a shelf. When you finish it, give it to a friend, and encourage them to pass it on.
Rants and Bants
Nov 11, 2015 marked it as social-justice-bullshit
Zoë's Top Ten White Privileges:

1. White privilege is having your experiences dismissed and invalidated.

2. White privilege is growing up poor, getting bullied at school, getting abused at home, having friends abandon you, having suicidal thoughts, dealing with anxiety and depression, and STILL being told that you’re the privileged ones. Meanwhile, minorities who have loving families, good loyal friends, a stable home, an education, constant encouragement to love themselves, and a nice cozy room w
Rhiannon Grant
This is a clear and accessible read which introduces the topics of white privilege, white supremacy, and racism in a a useful way. Many of the ideas here were already familiar to me, usually from blog posts and other online conversations, and it was helpful to have them put together and expanded upon. For me as a white woman, some of this is challenging - some of the material which was new to me was about the ways in which white women in institutions tend to block rather than expand diversity - ...more
decaffeinated
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. The first chapter explains how the author came to believe so strongly in racial justice. The middle explains white privilege. The last chapter contains sage and insightful suggestions for being a good White ally. Kendall writes beautifully, transitioning effortlessly from theory to practice to the personal to the organizational. She also writes honestly and dares to go a few places more timid souls would not. Did I say that this was a wonderful book?
Miri
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and there was little I disagreed with in it. Although I'm pretty knowledgeable about race and white privilege, I did pick up at least one totally new idea in this book--namely, the importance of identifying as white. I hadn't thought about that at all before, but Kendall makes a lot of good points about why white people should think of themselves AS white people and not just as "normal" or "average" or whatever.

My issues with this book were mainly the focus and the writing styl
Zawn V
Aug 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sociology
This book reads like the author sat down, drank some alcohol, then decided to share her thoughts on race. Here's a personal anecdote. Here's a fact. Here's some analysis. Random fact. Now it's the end of the chapter, with no rhyme or reason.

I've no beef with the book's central arguments, but this piece is terribly argued, full of flights of fancy, and poorly organized. I can't even figure out how she decided to end one chapter and begin another. In dire, desperate, urgent need of an editor, but
Diane Ferbrache
Eye-opening, but lacking much advice (in my opinion), this is a look at "white privilege" and the role we (as whites) play in maintaining the racial divide that subordinated people of color.

A very interesting book, but the author often repeats herself and the overall effect was to leave me depressed, but not really understanding what I can do about the situation. I would have preferred more practical advice.
John Forman
Kendall brilliantly walks a very slippery tight-rope between hard reality and hopeful future possibilities, while skillfully navigating all of my "yeah-buts" and "but-I-don'ts" so that I had to come to terms with the ways that I may be supporting racist systems even without acting with racist behavior or intent.
Erica
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This book challenged me to "become comfortable with the uncomfortable and uncomfortable with the too comfortable." This was assigned for my Race and Ethnic Relations class, but I would recommend it to anyone looking to explore the way race factors into daily life for themselves, as well as others. I will even let you borrow it!
Casey
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-faves
I've read this twice and find that I learn a lot each time I read it because I am in a different place in terms of my own awareness about white privilege. I wish there were more books out there like this one. I also wish it hadn't been so expensive and difficult to track down.
Matt
Fantastic book. Teaches the basics about white privilege but also challenges the reader to think more critically and provides several vignettes that are moving, thought provoking and insightful. Necessary reading for any person interested in ally work.
Chelsea
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: race
I wanted to like this book. I didn't disagree with the content. But it was repetitive, meandering, poorly written, poorly laid out. I really wanted to find a "White Privilege 101" book that I could confidently lend to inquisitive friends, but this one isn't it.
Jessica
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Excellent, thought provoking ideas given a little too drily and too often. It really did change how I thought about race and gave rise to lots of interesting conversations. Worth the read.
Jonny Gerig Meyer
Oct 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
A great read for anyone interested in better understanding the causes and effects of white privilege.
Jamie
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Learned so much from this book.
Theresa
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
  • David Bowie: Starman: A Coloring Book
  • Glute Lab: The Art and Science of Strength and Physique Training
  • Emotional and Sexual Intimacy in Marriage: How to Connect or Reconnect With Your Spouse, Grow Together, and Strengthen Your Marriage
  • Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln