Start by marking “The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)

The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  5,940 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
When the legendary Briar King awoke from his slumber, a season of darkness and horror fell upon the Kingdom of Crotheny. Now countless breeds of unspeakable monsters roam the countryside. An epidemic of madness has transformed peaceful villagers from the wildlands into savage, flesh-eating fiends. In Eslen, King William has been murdered, Queen Muriele is stalked by treach ...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Charnel Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charnel Prince

Dirk Grobbelaar
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I believe that The Kingdoms Of Thorn and Bone is one of the most criminally underrated works of fantasy around.
As far as I can discern, Greg Keyes hasn't exactly been a prolific writer, apart from some tie-in, or shared media, works for the likes of Star Wars and Babylon 5.
This series stands as his Magnum Opus.

Kingdoms is a seamless and close to perfect blend of old school charm and modern fantasy sensibilities. It is epic and grandiose, but it is also intimate and personal.
It is a fresh look on
StoryTellerShannon
Well, I feel some people are a bit harsh towards this book compared to the first one, yet, some people are also too generous in ratings. I did, however, give this four stars as I felt this was a 3.5 book, like his last one, and, the time before, I gave him a 3 star rating.

This isn't a five star novel. George R.R. Martin's A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE is a five star novel.

That said, it isn't fair to compare anyone to GRRM as he's top of the line and has been writing for over 30 years (i.e. varied in
Bcvs
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good, this one! So close to a 5 star rating.
The abrupt, loose ending spoiled it a bit for me and I really, really, really didn't like that last bit about Leoff.
Still, highly recommended and I will definitely read the next book in the series.
Tracy
Mar 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to Tracy by: no one
Monsters, gruesome sacrifices, dark sorcery, swordsmen devoted to honor, and a young woman being driven into the arms of her potent destiny are set loose in The Charnel Prince by Greg Keyes. This second novel of his Kingdoms of Thorn and Born epic fantasy series benefits from the setting developed in the first book, and the characters are really allowed to blossom within the adventure.

For fantasy readers, Keyes delivers a complete bill of goods as he weaves multiple fantasy elements such as mag
Mei-Lu
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Briar King was a bit of a slog for me, but this book was such a good read, it made the slog completely worth it.

I absolutely loved the way the characters and storyline developed and one of my favorite characters in the series is Leoff, who was introduced here.

If you like pseudo-medieval geo-political fantasy (you know, princesses in peril, civil war, mystical monsters, evil monks and secret assassin guilds) you'll love this series. If like me, you feel this type of fantasy tends to be cliche
Eli
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eli-recommends
Going into this book, I was afraid the author wouldn't adequately develop the characters he introduced in the first novel. I was a little worried that he wouldn't be able to keep up the pace. I needn't have been concerned. It was very refreshing to read a story showing interesting character development without being hit over the head with it, as I've sometimes experienced in Orson Scott Card's writing. My criticism of the first book was that I didn't quite get deeply enough into the characters' ...more
Andi
Aug 11, 2011 added it
Shelves: fantasy
These are deep waters...

I stayed up until three in the morning to finish this, and had to talk myself out of going on to Blood Knight. Keyes delivers in this one. Although much of it is classic fantasy the writing is great, practical yet lyrical. His characters are fabulous, layered, flawed, and interesting.

The thing that keeps me so engaged is the political intrigue, mixed with the background of fantastical monsters and our motley group of heroes. When a composer is the one that delivers the mo
♥ Unaeve ♥
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What? This is the end already? How did i come to the end so fast?
Lol!
"Benefits" of reading books on Kindle..you can get surprised when you come to the last page if yow wasn't monitoring the page numbers(or percent) -and I definitely wasn't because the last 30% of the book was a hell of a raid!

Neil McGarry
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Like its predecessor in the series, The Charnel Prince is quite the puzzle. Author Gregory Keyes is a solid writer, but here he's working against an awful lots of "cons."

First, Prince is rife with fantasy names that have to be auto-translated into English--"werlic" instead of "certainly" may give the story a otherworldly feel, but it's a speedbump to effortless reading. Fantasy-speak is not limited to grammar, either; there are some sections in which the etymological history of various words is
YouKneeK
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series, and I enjoyed it even more than I had enjoyed the first. The first book, while very good, took time to completely grab my interest. I think that was primarily because there were a lot of characters to get to know, and there were a lot of different plot threads that needed time to develop. It took time for all of these things to be introduced and built up to the point where I was really invested. With this book, I started out fully ...more
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • The Other Lands (Acacia, #2)
  • The One Kingdom (The Swans' War, #1)
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons, #2)
  • Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • Shadowrise (Shadowmarch, #3)
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...

Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone (4 books)
  • The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1)
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
  • The Born Queen (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #4)