Start by marking “Monkey And Me” as Want to Read:
Monkey And Me

Monkey And Me

A cheeky little girl and her toy monkey swing irresistibly through the pages of this playful book. Young children will love guessing what animal they are pretending to be, before shouting out the answers as the pages are turned to reveal the real creatures.
Published April 6th 2007 by MacMillan UK (first published January 1st 2007)

Rod Brown
Spending my wife's birthday reading through a small pile of picture books together. (2 of 5)

A gentle, lyrical, repetitive book meant to soothe a child toward bedtime. A bit dull for adults.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Extremely beginner readers
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A little girl and her stuffed monkey pretend to be different animals... until they are a too sleepy to play any longer.

I found the drawings to be marvelous and worth owning this book for them alone! I love the sketchy vibe of the illustrations paired with the softness of watercolor or almost chalk like colors. I was a little disappointed in the text of the story. I don't mind repetitive or sing-song words but none of the words the child learns is of much w
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Young readers will enjoy the repetition and sing-song rhythm of Monkey and Me. They can also guess which animal the little girl and her monkey are pretending to be, and follow along by acting like the animals themselves. The whimsical illustrations add to the fun and creativity of this book.

Summary from SPL: A little girl and her toy monkey love imitating different animals, everything from jumping like kangaroos to waddling like penguins.

Booklist: This review was positive
Tiffany Fox
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Garvett does a wonderful job with telling and illustrating Monkey and Me. I love the use of play that the child uses in pretending to be like the animals they are going to see.

From waddling like penguins to hoping and carrying the monkey like a kangaroo. From hanging upside down like a bat to holding onto each other like elephants following behind each other. From hanging around just like a monkey to falling asleep on one another.

I really love the use of shading and
Janessa
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love Gravett's 'Orange Pear Apple Bear' and its artistic play on shapes, colors, and an adorable bear, so when I saw 'Monkey and Me'on the shelf at a favorite bookstore, I was excited to open the binding and take a peek. I was instantly delighted by this simple, engaging story. The artwork and storyline follow the companionship between a girl and her toy monkey as they are off to see different animals. The repetition in the text pulls young readers into a feeling of suspense, while the girl an ...more
Adele
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. This had some cute illustrations, but that's about it. I love some of Gravett's books (Wolves, Dogs, Meerkat Mail) but most of her simpler books that appear designed for very young children don't do much for me.
Gwen the Librarian
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The generally wonderful Emily Gravett has a fun new picturebook that works perfectly for the toddler set. Monkey and Me is a simple text about a little girl and her stuffed monkey. Each page features the same rhyme leading up to a different animal that the two are pretending to be. Children can try to guess the animal based on the illustrated actions. The watercolor illustrations are sweet and exhuberant.
Avrelia
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book with the first sight, and my son (then 16-months old) too. For the last several months this book travels from the library and back. I will most likely have to buy it at the end.

The pictures are cheerful, lively and tell the story of a girl playing with her toy monkey all by themselves, but words in the simple sentences, repeating in merry rhythm help along the way.
Alexandria
This book is really just a repetition of "Monkey and me" with a slight change in the last few words of the sentence. Both the three year old and the six year old were bored by it, and I was very happy to be done with it.

Not every kids book has to have a plot and riveting writing, but this one wasn't so much a book as a jumble of words with boring illustrations. Gravett writes some great stuff, but this one was just terrible.
Steven Matview
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e
This is a great book to use if you want to infuse some rhythm into your storytime. i have the kids and parents pat their legs to create the beat while I sing the story to them. It's nice because you have the beat along with the good story to keep the storytime group entertained and focused.
Mir
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Super-cute drawings, super-boring repeating text.

This would work best for a child at the first stages of learning to read, as it not only uses the same few words over and over but also has visual cues to help guess the non-repeated words.
Becky
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My Lil' Peeps storytime loved this book. The text offers repetition - great for print motivation. Children get involved in telling the story. The pictures give clues as to what animal might be next, and the kids in my storytime liked moving like the animals.
Anthony
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A little girl and her toy monkey go through several transformations as they imitate different animals. They keep the reader guessing what's next.
Nojood Alsudairi
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good book for begenning readers. As usual, the illustrations are fabulous.
Kate Hastings
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Will be a hit in music and movement... a girl and her monkey move and give hints as to what animal they "see." Picture book charades. Pair with yoga, too?
Alexandra Hunter
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustations. Monkey is a toy but the animals he meets with his owner are real. I can imagine small children getting very excited about this one, good to introduce animals to children.
Monica DeBlieck
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was an adorable little story about a little girl and her stuffed monkey. The two are partners in crime throughout the book, acting out different animals and keeping readers guessing what is to come next. Every couple of pages the girl and her monkey are immitating a specific type of animal and the text says, "Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." After the readers sees the immitations and reads the lines, she may be able to guess what animal is ...more
Heidi-Marie
This has such fabulous storytime potential--for toddler and preschool. A good lap-read, too. Very repetitive in words, yes, but that word work well early readers, as well as getting the kids to chant along with you. You could get them to guess the next animal. And every time they see an animal, the kids could act out something (march like penguins, jump like kangaroos, etc.) Oh, it makes me so sad that I have to wait a few more months before my next storytime!

2/1/31 I mentioned the i
Age level: 2-6
Genre: Fiction
Copyright: 2007 Emily Gravett
Book Format: Hardcover/picture book

A little girl go to see different animals. In order to transition the reader to the next part the author uses the phrase "Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see some. . ." The illustrations depict the little girl dressed in a bright red and white outfit dragging along
Michelle
Emily Gravett has several good early Spanish picture books on the shelves today. This title, Mi mono y yo, is especially good for young readers/listeners.

The repetitive and predictable text provide ample opportunity for participation. If using this as a lap story, even the youngest of readers can learn directionality by watching the grown-up track the text from left to right, top to bottom. In two cases, the text seems to hop like the kangaroos and swing like the monkeys with whom th
Catherine
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with young children.
Lauren
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Monkey and Me was a touching story about a little girl and her beloved stuffed monkey. Throughout this book, the two characters explore different animals by acting them out while always keeping the readers excited for what is next. For example, the little girl will say "Monkey and me, Monkey and me, Monkey and me we want to see, we want to see some..." and the animal they want to see is discovered in a fun and colorful way when the reader turns the page. I would reconmend this book to small chil ...more
Andrew Wells
Plot Summary:
This story starts of with a little girl and her monkey. It continues with the two going through adventures to see a number of different animals such as Penguins, Kangaroos, Bats, Elephants , and Monkeys. After the numerous adventures, it ends with the two of them asleep.
Literary Merit: Style
The way that Emily Gravett organizes the text throughout the story truly makes a difference. She aligns the sentences when talking about the monkey and the girl. It makes it easier
Michaila
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book is repetitive and can be used as a prediction book for Kindergarteners. I would read the book and and students would guess what animal monkey and the girl are going to see next. I could also call on students one at a time to act out what animal they think monkey and the girl will see next. Or, when we reveal which animal monkey and the girl see, students can act out that animal. (I would have to be really good at setting expectations.)

This book is about a girl and her monkey who see m
Quaneisha Jones
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
>Monkey And Me was a great story to read with great illustrations and the text would be easy for children to follow along-- I think after reading this story multiple times, students would start to recite the text on their own since it is repetitive for the most part
>I think children would enjoy guessing which animal the monkey and the little girl would see next
> While reading this story, I would have my students guess what animal they think would show up and also have them c
Becca Noelle
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I loved the book Monkey and Me. It is a great children's book. Every other page has the rhythm of "Monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." The illustrations on each page show the little girl and her little monkey acting out the next animals behavior. The friends waddle, bounce, stomp, and fly like the animals they go to see. I really like the set up of this book. The adorable pictures are truly beneficial to the story. They give children a chance to follow along wit ...more
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
OOO. This is a GREAT book for baby/toddler storytime. It's fun, the rhythm is consistent, and there are tres fun pictures. I like it better than Apple Pear, Orange Bear, because, honestly, it reminds me of my nieces. The kids that I've shared this book with LOVE it. Ok, maybe not as much as Claudia Rueda's "Let's Play In The Forest", but, hey, for the 2-3 year old set, this book is nearly perfect!

Revision: I did this book AGAIN today and the 1-2 year olds mobbed me. Seriously-I thoug
Magila
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Gravett, the amazing illustrator whose stories leave quite a bit to be desired, struck again. Trust me when I say that it pains me to give two stars to anything that stars a monkey! The suggestion of a monkey in a story is enough to merit a three from me in most circumstances. Nearly all circumstances.

Sadly, this book didn't do it for me. I believe that young girls will find it far more entertaining than I did. Mostly because of the protagonist.

Also, as a point of fact, I also think that the r
Rebecca Ann
This book was simple but great! There is rhyme, repetition, and the familiar color scheme/illustrative style from Wolf Won't Bite! andWolves. I think anyone who read this book would be charmed by it, especially pre k kids.

Update: I used this for a preschool Curious George story time. We had a staff member dressed up as curious George who would do the actions of the upcoming animal. It was fantastic!
June
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents, teachers
A simple story with lots of repetition that I used for laptime. 1/25/12

Used again, works a little better with the toddlers than the babies, though maybe the toddler was a smaller group and the parents were in to it more. 12/19/12

Used again for toy lap time, since I can always do the 3 little Monkeys with the glove afterwards... 1/14/14

Used this for Lap Time for a Monkey program, had a large, participatory group. 7/22/14

Used again since, 5 little mo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • This Little Chick
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Higher! Higher!
  • Hello Baby!
  • Lots of Dots
  • I Can Help
Emily Gravett is twice winner of the prestigious Kate Greenaway Medal and the Nestlé Children's Book Prize Bronze Award for WOLVES and LITTLE MOUSE'S BIG BOOK OF FEARS. An author/illustrator of unique talent and tremendous skill, she has a host of critically acclaimed books to her name, including BLUE CHAMELEON, WOLF WON'T BITE! and AGAIN! Emily lives in Brighton with her partner and their daughte ...more