Start by marking “Faeries” as Want to Read:
Faeries

Faeries

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  42,843 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
Edited by David Larkin. Two talented artists explore the world of faeries in myths, legends, and folklore.
Published October 29th 2002 by Abrams (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Faeries, please sign up.
Michael It's not a story as such, Connie, rather a series of short tales and information about different faery beings. It's full of beautiful illustrations,…moreIt's not a story as such, Connie, rather a series of short tales and information about different faery beings. It's full of beautiful illustrations, which make it worth buying on that account alone.(less)
Michael Faeries are nature spirits as believed in by the ancient Celtic peoples and their descendents.

The singular is 'faery' or 'fairy' - either spelling is…more

The singular is 'faery' or 'fairy' - either spelling is correct.(less)

Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I bought this book for my wife some years ago. She was an artist and very talented. Near the end of her life one of the subjects she was beginning to work with was "fantasy subjects" including faeries. She was (as I said above) very talented and throughout her life as she would pick up different techniques and concentrate on different subjects she would expand her "catalog" so to speak. She was able it seemed to study a new type or style and within a few attempts she'd have captured it. She did ...more
Anna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fairytale, favorites
Faeries is a wonderful book: illustrations that are charming, eerie and beautiful, and stories and a wealth of information on fairy-lore. I learned some things that surprised me - for example, although I was aware that people used to attribute prehistoric flint arrowheads to the fairies, I didn't know that the word 'stroke' for paralysis derives from a belief in seizures caused by the touch of a fairy, or 'Elf-stroke'. And although I've read the Harry Potter series a number of times, and tend to ...more
Patick Kyteler
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adults; artists
This is the book that made Brian Froud famous and has yet to be surpassed. Alan Lee's ethereal watercolors are just as breathtaking and provide a lovely counterpoint to Froud's more dramatic drawings. But don't let the glowing images fool you into thinking this is just another coffee table "art" book. The folklore contained therein is just as sound. The flora and fauna sections are especially worthwhile. There is also a dangerous aspect to this work, which adds a fascinating spiciness. Not all f ...more
Larissa
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Whether we are aware of it or not faeries have, for as long as can be remembered, always played a part in the daily lives of men, women and especially children. For as far back as can be remembered there have been stories, ballads and legends of faeries and their ability to connect with the nature on the planet and the nature of man. Though not always with the most desired of results, for as many stories as there are of faeries bringing messages of love and friendship there are also stories of t ...more
Alex
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is, quite frankly, a masterpiece. There's just no other way for me to refer to it. It has become one of my most treasured possessions and I know for a fact I will come back to it many times over the years.

The amazingly talented Brian Froud and Alan Lee give us a much closer and realistic look into the world of Faerie than what most people are used to from pop culture. The general public who aren't familiar with Faery lore tend to think about pretty girls with wings in dresses when they
Yupa
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Questo non è un libro sulle fate.
Questo è un libro con le fate dentro.
Lance
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful artwork, I've used it as a reference book. After reading this, I've been able to recognize a lot of different mythical creatures in other works that I would not have otherwise. For instance, Jenny Green Teeth shows up in Pratchett's The Wee Free Men and the Pooka in such movies as Darby O'Gill and the Little People, and the Jimmy Stewart classic, Harvey. This is the book that influenced Jim Henson to recruit Froud's help with the movie The Dark Crystal. I didn't realize until very rece ...more
Agy Wilson
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have been in love with Brian Froud from his collaboration with Alan Lee. I spent long hours pouring over his book, and saw the clear influence (excitedly) on the movie Labyrinth, one of my all-time faves, along with Outside Over There. I'm grateful to this because at a young age I saw the interconnectivity of books and other creative endeavors because of it. Not so literal, but still having profound impact. My work is more fantastical but I think a real argument could be made of the influence ...more
Helix
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Found this book again today while my mother was clearing out stuff. My dad gave it to me when I was a child, and I'm absolutely delighted to have found it again because a lot of things stayed with me. This book both enchanted and terrified me. The art is gorgeous. The lore is fairly detailed. The writing style is easier to get into now that I'm an adult.

I think this is one of those books where I'd keep for life. I don't think I'd ever have any children (definitely not biologically), but if I do
Denice Garrou
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a believer in the world of the Fae and Biti Foki I am so thankful for Brian and Wendy Froud. They pick up where my imagination leaves off and I have a huge imagination. They do not sugar coat the elemental realm; you get the light and dark side, as it should be. If you want to graduate from Tinkerbell to the meat and potatoes of the fae folk I suggest you become a Froud follower and fan.
Denice Garrou
Author of Dragonhorse and the Seeker of the Forgotten Knowledge
Mike
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I skimmed this book more than read it when my sister gave it to me when I was a kid, but the illustrations were terrific and I copied a lot of them in the afternoons after school when I first started to draw. I thought I had lost it but found it the other day, battered but still living.
Violet
Oct 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I never knew there were so many different names for faeries. This book is comprised of legends and folklore. The illustrations reminded me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it till I read some of the other reviews of this book. They mentioned that Brian Froud worked on The Dark Crystal, and that is when I knew why they looked so familiar.

Fairies can turn on you at any moment, and they like to play jokes on human folks. So beware.
Michael
"Die vielen kleinen Ärgernisse des Alltags werden selbstverständlich durch diverse Plagegeister verursacht. Bei verfilztem Menschenhaar und undurchdringlich verwirrten Pferdemähnen spricht man zutreffend auch von Elfenknoten."

Jetzt weiß ich endlich, was morgens mit meinen paar Haaren los ist:

Joey Woolfardis
Whilst the other book I've read like this (Goblins!) might have been rather child-orientated and lack-lustre, this one definitely isn't. It has beautiful drawings that make me want to punch everyone around me for being so good, and the information is genuine folklore fact (if such a thing exists).
Tracey
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
No artist I know of reveals the personality of individual faeries while expressing his personal style so clearly as Brian Froud. He renders each detail with care and love; his devotion to his subjects shines through.
cEe beE
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I saw the beautiful illustrations in this book, it was like the fairy world finally came alive. Brian Froud captured both the light and darkness of the magical and mysterious fey world.
Jim
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Putting this in no-fiction because it is a great source on these fantastic creatures & the artwork is wonderful. It's worth buying just to look at the pictures.
Nomad
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: froud
This is kind of the classic book that really started the whole fantsy art genre. It has sold well and consistently every year since it's publication and there are often new anniversary editions that come out in hardback as the years go by.

This wasn't the first book by Froud that I bought, but it's one of my favorites. You can really see the affection that he has for his subjects and the paintings have a certain rawness to them that later paintings do not have. I'm not saying his later work is ba
Cherie
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book!

The artwork is exceptional and I could spend hours looking at the drawings. It is the definitave book on Faeries - all of the different types are named and defined as well as the different flowers and trees that are important to faerie lore.

There are folk tales listed, poetry written about them, and notes from other author's stories.

This is a must own volume for anyone interested in the subject.
Patrice
This is a delightful book with amazing illustrations and explanations about Faeries. I enjoyed reading about all the different types of Faerie. Some I had heard of before like Brownies and Boggarts, and there were others that I had never heard of and found very interesting. It is a very readable book and some of the illustrations will take you breath away. It includes information gathered from some earlier works by other authors too.
Sandie
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: from small children to adults
Shelves: authors-b
This is still my favorite of all of Brian Froud's works. The artwork is amazing but I absolutely love the literary end of this book as well. I remember reading it for the first time in high school, when I was a freshman and I was fascinated with the names and the stories and the pictures. This book is amazing. I think it would appeal to children and adults alike.
Velvetea
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, art
What a world they've created, these two fantasy geniuses... I read for the art more than anything~ this is the combined effort of two of my favorite and most admired illustrators!! Each page is inspiring, and so beautiful.
T.L. Wood
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of Brian Froud’s older book’s all done in black and white giving you that sketch pad feel. They are lovely pictures just the same. You can feel him grow as an artist if you collect his work as I have. I am a great lover of his work, he is an amazing artist.
Laurel
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I believe that every story I've ever read about fairies, whether an epic fantasy or a modern urban one, has ties to the knowledge contained in this book. It's an indispensable source and an exquisitely interesting read! The watercolor art and sketches are phenomenal!
April-Jane Rowan
For anyone that loves faeries then this book is a must have, full of gorgeous art and chilling fables. It strips away the sweet facade faeries have been given and takes them back to their dark roots. I particularly loved Alan Lee's artwork.
Cecilia
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love the art of Brian Froud, he's one of my favourite artists, and his wife, Wendy, well... She has created the most beautiful dolls that I've ever seem!. This is a wonderful masterpiece. I've read it a lot of times and I never get tired of it!.
Brian
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, m, mythology
This book is fantastic. It’s kind of a history, kind of an encyclopedia, kind of a story time session with a local bard. It’s a magical and inspiring book, and I love it.
Danae T.
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A must-read if you like folklore, mythology, and of course, faeries.
LondonFog
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witch-reads
Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Practically another world (or even view) within our own world!
hannah renee.
What a delightful book. It tells of various faerie folklore and is enhanced by enchanting illustrations (double points for it being partly Alan Lee). I especially loved the legend of O'Donoghue; such raptures!
This line also in the forward (by Betty Ballantine): "...for faeries are themselves creatures of the raw stuff of life and are ceaselessly attracted to all forms of creativity and particularly to moments of high emotion in which they seek to be participants. Lovers, poets, artists, writers
是不是的 1 6 Jul 23, 2015 06:18AM
Enchanted Bookends: Faeries 5 6 May 09, 2012 02:20PM
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • Gnomes
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • The Art of Faery
  • The Art of Amy Brown
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • The Winter Child
  • Castles
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The King's Agent
  • Fairies and Elves (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • The Unicorn
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)
Brian Froud is an award-winning illustrator, author, and faery authority. His books include the international best-sellers Faeries, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album, and The Faeries' Oracle. He also served as the conceptual designer on Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Froud lives in Devon, England.
----------------------

"I paint the spirit and s
More about Brian Froud

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)