Start by marking “Patterns of Home: The Ten Essentials of Enduring Design” as Want to Read:
Patterns of Home: The Ten Essentials of Enduring Design

Patterns of Home: The Ten Essentials of Enduring Design

Clearly written and profusely illustrated, Patterns of Home brings the timeless lessons of residential design to homeowners who seek inspiration and direction in the design or remodel of their homes. Patterns of Home promises to become the "design bible" for homeowners and architects. The 10 patterns described in the book -- among them, "capturing light" and "the flow thro ...more
Published September 9th 2002 by Taunton Press (first published August 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Patterns of Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patterns of Home

Janelle Zeeb
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: home
The 10 design concepts described in this book were generally interesting, and I can say I learned a decent amount of information from this book which I had not seen in other home design books, so I will give this three stars.

But at times I found the book excessively wordy and a little repetitive. The same content was described in the main text and also in the picture captions and text blocks, and sometimes I found myself just reading those and skipping the main text. It was also somewhat frustr
Erika RS
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, physical
This book contains a distillation of the most important patterns from A Pattern Language . As the authors put it,
While there may be many dozens, even hundreds, of patterns that go into the making of homes, there are only a handful that we would now say are essential.
This book takes a stab at defining those essential patterns.

Having read A Pattern Language I approached this book skeptically. I did not think the authors could capture the essence of a good home in 10 patterns. However, I was ple
Pam
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: architecture
Humility is an undervalued characteristic in America today and it shows in the lack of modest elegant homes being built. I absolutely love the book "Pattern Language" and consider it the bible for architecture. This book in comparison is extremely disappointing. The authors have apparently ignored the modest elegance promoted in the previous book and now embraced America's McMansion craze, houses without souls. It is a sad day... I recommend you skip this book and go to the bible "Pattern Langua ...more
June Ding
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
I bought the book a few years later after I first read it in the local library. It was the only book that I felt worth owning. Some helpful concepts for someone like me who had little knowledge at the time about house, such as capturing light, flow of the house, indoor rooms and outdoor rooms and space in between. Now re reading it I realise that my taste has changed and some of the houses look too traditional to me. But those essential concepts still apply.
Heather
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I had hoped that this book would be more tangible, but it does make an attempt to bring the concepts found in the Pattern Language series of books into a realizable form. Might be used as a starting point for younger thinkers, to assist them in understanding the somewhat amorphous concepts found in the original series.

Some very pretty pictures :)
Erik
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous photography, un-actionable for anyone in a VHCOL area where changing homes is not particularly viable. Outside of VHCOL areas, presents a lot of good ideas for thinking about your home's design.
Alyn
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
I had this book for 12 weeks, 2 separate library checkouts including maximum renewals, before finally slogging through all the text. But the pictures are pretty, of course.

The concepts were very familiar to me, perhaps because these authors wrote one of the classic architecture books back in the day "a pattern language". I would've enjoyed a greater quantity of specific examples, but I understand that too many details might get confusing to the average armchair architect.

This book was less repet
brian tanabe
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The foundation of this book is based on the 30+ year old seminal architecture design book, A Pattern Language. I own not an ounce of training in the field and yet somehow I know this about the architectural world's canon of great books.

Moving on ... Patterns of Home quite nicely filters the "10 essentials of enduring design" (from A Pattern Language) through the stylings of Susanka and all the other Taunton-esque coffee table books on contemporary architectural design principles. Or in other wo
Kathleen
after reading 'the new american dream,' which was also organized around ten design principles, this book seemed really cluttered and over-worked. lots of text boxes, subheadings after subheadings. the fact that there was so much on every page (both in volume of text and in number of topics) made it really hard for me to get into this book. i would have much preferred an edited down version of this book.

that said, the houses that served as examples in this book were lovely. the recommendations fo
Kim
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the way this book brought a Pattern Language to life in a pithier, more "friendly" way. It changed how I think and gave voice to things I've witnessed, but never knew how to put words on. Inspirational for anyone trying to make their house a home and/or with a remodel in the planning (or dreaming) stages. 4.5 stars
Del
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
In my opinion, a total Susanka rip-off that I'm sad I spent money on. To add insult to injury, I sold this book once on Amazon, shipped it happily off to NYC and had it returned due to not being able to fit in the guy's stupid mailbox. It came back all beat up and I can't seem to get rid of it.
Zane
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so here is the cheat sheet for anyone wanting to be their own architect for their own home. This is simple clear and profound example design principles for the home. A must read for anyone considering a new home or remodeling.
Erica
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful approachable version of directions for making a comfortable lilving spaces in your home - stuff you know when you see but may not be able to articulate. (Based on the famous architecture book A Pattern Language, which is more for professionals).
Teresa
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating introduction to architecture. Learned so much about why some places make you want to kick hour shoes off and stay forever, and others you can't wait to leave. Good look at principles of design for anyone considering building.
Dayna
Nov 02, 2011 marked it as to-read
Do all of these books look the same, or have I actually read this one before?
Rachele
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
excellent for residential home design. A constant reference book for me.
Mckinley
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some lovely houses. And a couple of good ideas.
Knitgrr
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent if your are wondering why you like/dislike your home so much.
Scott
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this after A Pattern Language, as it's a practical distillation of some of those ideas.
Lily
Apr 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Home by Design: Transforming Your House Into Home
  • The Wabi-Sabi House: The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • Outside the Not So Big House: Creating the Landscape of Home
  • The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space
  • Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use & Avoid
  • House Thinking: A Room-by-Room Look at How We Live
  • The Visual Handbook of Building and Remodeling
  • House as a Mirror of Self: Exploring the Deeper Meaning of Home
  • The Tumbleweed DIY Book of Backyard Sheds and Tiny Houses: Build your own guest cottage, writing studio, home office, craft workshop, or personal retreat
  • House Form and Culture
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • A Handmade Life: In Search of Simplicity