Start by marking “Reading for Understanding: A Guide to Improving Reading in Middle and High School Classrooms” as Want to Read:

Published in Partnership with WestEd

"A breath of fresh air! After reminding us that any teacher who puts a book in front of a student is a reading teacher, the authors give us a teacher-tested reading course for middle and high school students. They avoid the baloney in the present reading debates by paying attention to actual students. What they propose is an apprentice
Published December 20th 1999 by Jossey-Bass (first published December 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Reading for Understanding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading for Understanding

Start your review of Reading for Understanding: A Guide to Improving Reading in Middle and High School Classrooms
Kim Johnson
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A helpful tool introducing an apprenticeship approach to reading that includes the personal dimension, social dimension, knowledge building dimension and cognitive dimension with meta cognitive conversation at the heart of the process. The book is filled with case studies and resources as well as the basic fundamentals of each facet of the reading apprenticeship framework.
Mr. Poquette
I know, I know! It feels like cheating to put pedagogical books in my list, but I read it, dammit, so it stays.
And it should prove to be helpful in my classroom; reaffirms some of the things I've done for years, gives me some new tricks.
Natalee
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Written by teachers, for teachers (or so my professor says, and I’m not about to question that judgement).

This is written in a very clear, easy to follow manner. The text isn’t dry like a lot of theory books tend to be, either. It seems to emphasize cognitive and sociocultural theories to reading/teaching, including practices like reading apprenticeships.

My favorite part, and perhaps the most helpful, is that Schoenbach includes many actual classroom practices for teacher to incorporate. Examp
Mark
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent primer for teachers about how to teach students strategic reading strategies. Perhaps more important, the authors present a philosophical ans practical framework for how to teach reading in secondary schools.
Connie D
Jan 27, 2016 marked it as to-read
The concepts are good...but I'll finish later. ...more
Jennifer Fenwick
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Of all my grad school required books, this one has been the most helpful in teaching students to read.
E
Oct 27, 2014 added it
2 Copies
Budd Turner
Good introduction to Reading Apprenticeship.
Second edition has triple the pages covering the same concepts.
T.M. Caldwell
Jill
Jan 27, 2008
Cindy
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book convinced me how important reading is in all content ares.
Jeff
Mar 06, 2013
Jeff See
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1)
  • Twice Royal Lady
  • Damn Good Chinese Food: Dumplings, Egg Rolls, Bao Buns, Sesame Noodles, Roast Duck, Fried Rice, and More—50 Recipes Inspired by Life in Chinatown
  • The Becoming (The Dragon Heart Legacy, #2)
  • My Friend the Enemy
  • Oath of Office (Dr. Lou Welcome, #1)
  • Sulwe
  • Linguistic Justice: Black Language, Literacy, Identity, and Pedagogy
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Shiloh (Shiloh, #1)
  • The Things We Cannot Say
  • 11/22/63
  • Alaska
  • The Complete Four Just Men
  • Blind Descent (Anna Pigeon, #6)
  • Nomad (Nomad, #1)
  • Tools for Thought: Graphic Organizers for Your Classroom
  • The Snow Gypsy
Ruth is a passionate advocate and clear-headed researcher for best practices that improve literacy for adolescent students.

News & Interviews