Start by marking “Pull” as Want to Read:
Pull

Pull

Chicago high school senior David Albacore is dealing with major upheaval after his father murders his mom. David blames himself for not saving their mom that night; after being injured in a basketball game, he was given strong painkillers and slept through the shooting. In the terrible aftermath, he changes his name and moves to a tough new inner-city Chicago high school w ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by West Side Books

To ask other readers questions about Pull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pull

Melissa Conway
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
On the face of it, the title of Binns’ debut young adult novel, ‘Pull,’ seems ambiguous. It wasn’t until I was immersed in the main character’s story that I decided the title refers to the multiple directions a person on the cusp of adulthood can be pulled in life.

Pull is told in first-person point of view by seventeen-year-old David Albacore…except that’s not his real name. David wants nothing to do with his real surname, because it links him to his father—the convicted murderer of his beloved
Courtney Milan
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pull by B.A. Binns is one of the most powerful Y.A. books I’ve read all year.

David, the protagonist (you notice I don’t include his last name), is dealing with a lot for a kid in his senior year of high school. You see, a few months ago, his dad murdered his mother. His father’s in jail, and David himself, as the eldest in the family, has gotten the job of keeping his family together. Without the money he makes from an after school construction job, his sisters and he would have been split up ar
Ari
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Monday, October 25, 2010Male Monday: Pull
Pull by B.A. Binns 2010 (ARC)
WestSide Books

Release Date: October 27, 2010

Rating: 4/5

IQ "People think cakewalk means easy. But real cakewalks were difficult as hell according to my grandmother. They required endurance, balance and training, and only the best lasted until the end." David pg. 30-31

David Albacore has moved from his small-town California home to Chicago. He had to move once his father murdered his mother and went to jail, forcing David and h
Katrina Burchett
David Albacore is a young man forced to grow up too fast. He’s a high school senior and he also has an after-school job in construction. He feels responsible for his sisters’ material and emotional needs since his mother died and he’s more like a parent to them than an older brother. When David’s mother was alive she made him promise to get a high school diploma. With so much going on in his life, will he make it to graduation?
I liked David. He was wise beyond his years and a decent guy. I felt
Katie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Recap:
After his father shoots and kills his mother, it's up to David to keep his family together. Determined to reinvent himself at his new school, David changes his last name and works to keep a lower profile. But even the best of intentions aren't enough to hide who a person really is inside. And for better or for worse, keeping a low profile just isn't in the cards for someone like David.

But as David stands out more and more - battling with Malik, aggravating the principal, dazzling on the ba
Camden Buckles
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

David Albacore and his two sisters were forced to move to Chicago with their aunt after their mom was murdered by her ex-husband, and David’s dad. David, a senior in high school will have to now keep a source of income, stay in school, and look after his sisters at the same time to keep them all safe.
The book was very interesting, the characters and plot couldn’t be any better. I was sucked in the entire book.

Possibly the most significant component of the story “Pull” is the plot. The plot was
Terry
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
This is one book I really wanted to love. We need more great books about kids who are seen as athletes but whose self-image is of something more. We need more books about teens struggling with the realities of survivors guilt. We need more books that show both the bravado and the sensitivity of young men. We need more books that show African-American kids at the center of compelling stories. "Pull" does all of this, just not as well as I would have liked.

At times it moved slowly, setting up a sc
Jill
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
David Albacore is a seventeen-year-old high school senior at a new school, and his sister Barnetta (“Barney”) is a freshman. They transferred after their father murdered their mother. The father went to jail, and David and his sisters moved in with their Aunt Edie in Chicago. David didn’t even want to go back to school, but he has vowed to take care of Barney, who is still emotionally scarred from finding her mother in a pool of blood.

I think this book offers a huge amount to think about and deb
Karen DelleCava
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Albacore is burdened with extreme guilt caused the night his mother was murdered by his father. He’s been uprooted, is living with his aunt and sisters and starting senior year in a new city. I was pulling for David as he tried to keep his sister, Barney, out of harm’s way at school and struggled to contribute financially to the household. David recognized the signs of domestic violence among his peers at school and my heart pounded when he stepped up to confront his nemesis. B.A. Binns il ...more
Alex Stiner
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was a really good book, I would give this book a very good review.
The book started really complex and fun. This kid David was lost his Mom had been
killed and his dad was in jail for killing his mom. He had to find work and a good
paying job to keep him and his two sisters alive. He goes to this new school trying
to blend in and not talk much. But he finds a girl who he really likes and that makes a
bunch of problems. Then he was forced to japonica the basketball team and he is
amazin
kwain
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, I tried reading it about a month ago but couldn't get into it. I retried again and liked it very much. I would recommend this book to those who like a story of family, courage, and a story that breaks through what most view as young black male stereo typing. I think the author did a good job with the characture of David
and the whole plot in general.

K's out ...peace
Kelly
The story was underdeveloped in the first 100 pages, and the writing itself was a bit clunky. Together, those things pushed me out of the story, since I couldn't develop a connection or interest in any of the characters. David is fairly well developed, but with the other 50 or so underdeveloped characters, I couldn't keep track of them.
Emily Pickell
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
It could have been a good story, it was an interesting premise but I felt the teen voice was not authentic. It felt like an adult writing what she thought a teen boy would feel and that is exactly what it was. Young adult fiction should not feel that way. I don't know if this was the author's debut novel or not but that might explain why the book just didn't work.
Amanda
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Telah Mitchell
I wanted to love this book, but I didn't. I didn't hate it either. I thought it was raw, and it made me feel so bad for his situation but then there was something about the way he talked that didn't ring true. It didn't really sound like someone my age. I don't know. It was just off.
Nance
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Strong character and good plot. I thought it was an easy reading with a good message of survival as David learns to deal with his past and move into a future. David was a strong character; Brandy was a little flat. The school coach/psychologist was too flat.
Warren-Newport Public Library
Realistic, urban fiction with good characters and strong story. David is a very compelling character and readers will empathize with his struggles. Good read for fans of Walter Dean Meyers and Paul Volponi. (Amanda)
Diana
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great Rec from CM! Highly recommend this for all adults and YA readers.
Debra Landay
Jan 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Not a good book at all. Author writes poorly: I found the language offensive, and I don't mean swearing. Author is irresponsible in the ending.
Leslie
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Nerds <3 YA book 1
Heather
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
David struggles to keep his family together after dad murders mom.
Allison Sirovy
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't impressed at first, but I stuck with it and thought it had a good message for struggling teens.
Elsa
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: qp-2012
Not bad, lots of drama.
Mrs.
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting. I think the boys would like it. It seemed a bit mature for 9th graders due to some of the unnecessary language about his pants. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Mo
I have such mixed feelings about this book.
JC Welbourne
To: James C. Welbourne Little Free Library
From: Lisa M.
8/2014
Jaylene Luciano
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really don't like reading books but this book caught my eye from the cover. Pull is a very good book it's a very courageous book :)wish this book would've had a second part it ended so quickly.
Kathy
Apr 03, 2014
Kevin Ray
Dec 14, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
B. A. Binns is the eldest of five children and grew up in Chicago, Il. She now resides in a Chicago suburb where she works with the youth group at her church and volunteers at the local library and senior center where she assist users with computer problems. She finds writing an exercise in self discipline, and the perfect follow-up to her life as an adoptive parent and a cancer survivor. She is a ...more