Start by marking “How to Draw and Paint Fantasy Architecture” as Want to Read:
How to Draw and Paint Fantasy Architecture

How to Draw and Paint Fantasy Architecture

Advice and instruction from a leading fantasy illustrator guides art students who intend to pursue careers illustrating computer games, children's books, graphic novels, and other related media. This book's opening chapter analyzes traditional architectural shapes that include arches, columns, towers, vaults, and buttresses. Chapters that follow apply principles of lightin ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by B.E.S. Publishing

To ask other readers questions about How to Draw and Paint Fantasy Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Draw and Paint Fantasy Architecture

Canesgalactica
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading the beginning portion of this book, although it is a pretty dry read if that is all you are doing. Alexander explores quite a bit in different architectural styles as well as different textures to paint.

However, I found myself really wanting more from this book than I got. I was honestly hoping it would give a more in depth coverage to how to paint different textures instead of generalizing and just assuming that the reader already knows how to paint basic architecture.

I
Quiver
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: a-english
The title accurately describes the contents. Mostly well-presented, clear and full of good ideas. It could have benefited from some copy-editing.

The illustrations aren't as high-quality as you would expect from a modern 'how-to' book even though it is printed on good paper.

It is not made completely clear which medium was used for the author's paintings (that serve as illustrations). The implication is that he used real oils, and he certainly discusses letting the paint dry etc, but if you look
Judy Dawn
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book looking for inspiration for my Fantasy writing. I like how the cover looked too.
Inside are some additional pictures and the author describes the thought process which helped me to create my fantasy stories. Sometimes I use a picture for a writing prompt and there are many renderings that make my imagination sing.
I recommend this book for artists (which I am too) and writers looking for daydreaming material.
Darrell
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to draw different forms of architecture and the information provided in this book was fun to read and experiment with. It is not an all inclusive drawing book but for those that draw on a regular basis it is a good book. I kinda wished that I would have gotten the paper book instead of the ebook. It would have been nicer to see the drawings in that format but I managed to get full enjoyment out of it regardless.
Eric
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad I picked up this book. I work in the architecture field, but it was very refreshing to look at things from this point of view. It's easy to get caught up in minutia doing the work of creating buildings and easier yet to miss certain esthtetic points.

This is a good book for beginners. I like the examples and the full color break downs of various pieces. Well worth the cover price.
F.P.
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Will probably buy this; there's a great, nebulous-looking sci-fi image exercise in here I really want to try painting. Sometimes I find the sci-fi images in what are supposed to be fantasy-art books more interesting than the ones in sci-fi-only books.
Kbord
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Initial reaction: Gorgeous pictures.
Barbara Roma
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent source to research all kind of architectures!
Plus, a quick explanation about drawing foundations.
S.M. Blooding
Shannah
Jan 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Digital Painting Techniques
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces
  • Worlds of Amano
  • Force: Character Design from Life Drawing
  • Animals Real and Imagined: The Fantasy of What Is and What Might Be
  • Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement
  • Rendering in Pen and Ink: The Classic Book on Pen and Ink Techniques for Artists, Illustrators, Architects, and Designers
  • Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting (Mastering (North Light Books))
  • Dreamscapes: Creating Magical Angel, Faery & Mermaid Worlds in Watercolor